South Austin Projects

Longhorn Al

• 2 weeks later...

Bowie HS is getting a 3 story garage with 8 tennis courts on the roof.  I believe it'll be just the 2nd garage on a HS campus in Texas (other is Highland Park).

There's a reason they have to put the courts up there. They need to expand the campus, but are now under new impervious cover restrictions. That's why they bought the surrounding lots, but can't expand the existing impervious footprint.

Athletics is getting a new 2-story building and gym. It's the building on the far right in that last pic. It's going on top of the old tennis courts and parking lot. But first they're addressing parking and courts to relocate the tennis teams.

https://4.files.edl.io/0ca1/03/14/19/210053-1b8b6378-706e-479d-80a2-55c6811f93b4.pdf

bowie4.png

bowie3.png

bowie2.png

bowie1.png

• Like 2

On 3/11/2019 at 1:50 AM, Victor Lazlo said:

Just as an anecdote, my 89 year old father-in-law has often told me the story of being a high school student at Concordia in the early ‘40’s and getting their asses kicked by the TSD team on the football field. 

He said he and his teammates expected an easy win and were shocked at getting rolled by TSD. 

We played them in sports in our parochial school league. They were substantially older than us. I'm guessing many were held back to to their disability. Hated going against them on the field.

On 3/11/2019 at 5:04 PM, Facemask said:

You SOB. I'll tell my staff. You can thank COA for the Compost trash, all the homeless we booted have food they rummage thru and ransack my dumpster looking for food.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

You probably know better than anyone, what's gonna happen with that old Phillips 66 kinda down the street from you (by the cleaners and italian bistro)?  They've done all their environmental fill-in, I would think demo is next.  

1 hour ago, Deej said:

We played them in sports in our parochial school league. They were substantially older than us. I'm guessing many were held back to to their disability. Hated going against them on the field.

A huge majority of the high school population has been mainstreamed during its elementary and middle school years, so it's quite possible that some have been held back at some point. It's only later on down the line that most parents start figuring that a deaf environment where the kids are taught in ASL is usually more effective, and their parents allow them to go off to TSD to get an education. Remember, TSD is the only school for Texas's deaf students.

Because we already lived in Austin, it was a no brainer for my ex-wife and me to have our daughter go to school at TSD from pre-school until high school graduation. Had we lived in another part of the state, the decision would've been much more difficult. To give you an idea of the class-size discrepancy between elementary school and high school there, she began the first grade with maybe a dozen classmates but graduated with about 75.

I can also tell you that when she had one of her friends stay over the weekend once last year (as a senior), she would have to pause the television multiple times so she could explain what the closed captioning said because her otherwise seemingly intelligent friend, who had been mainstreamed up to that year, couldn't read well enough to follow portions of shows that were heavy in dialogue.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Deej said:

This was the early 80's. I'm sure things have improved.

Undoubtedly. Hell, my daughter's calculus homework was over my head by the time she was a sophomore but, of course, she was on the college track which was comprised almost exclusively of the kids who had begun their educations at TSD at a young age.

• Like 2

This place has been on tap (thank you, thank you) for YEARS.  They've finally started doing some work to it, and it looks like it'll be ready soon.  This is half a mile south of Moontower Saloon, and 3/4 of a mile south of Indian Roller.  All on the same side of Manchaca. 

Across from Moontower is supposed to be The Goodnight, an adult bowling alley.  That's been in the works for awhile, but I haven't seen any progress online yet.  Hopefully it's not a gutter ball.

https://communityimpact.com/local-news/austin/southwest-austin/features/dining/2019/04/03/south-austin-beer-garden-will-open-this-spring/

South Austin Beer Garden will open at 10700 Manchaca Road, Austin, later this spring. Operating out of a converted old house, the business will offer 64 taps of beer, cider, wine, craft cocktails and cold brew coffee, as well as root beer for kids. According to co-owner David Pearce, the beer garden will welcome dogs and, during daytime hours, families. Food trucks will also be onsite. An official opening date has not yet been set. 512-659-4263. www.southaustinbeergarden.com

FB_IMG_1553730189250.jpg

FB_IMG_1553730198860.jpg

You probably know better than anyone, what's gonna happen with that old Phillips 66 kinda down the street from you (by the cleaners and italian bistro)?  They've done all their environmental fill-in, I would think demo is next.  
Not sure. Don't think it's another Cstore though because that was shot down.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

So ... I wanna know whose idea the complete fuckery of Slaughter & S. 1st was. 

I can't imagine what planet you have to live on to think it's a good idea to reduce a busy, straight-through, 3 lane road to 2 lanes in order to add a turn lane.

On 3/26/2019 at 9:03 PM, Longhorn Al said:

Bowie HS is getting a 3 story garage with 8 tennis courts on the roof.  I believe it'll be just the 2nd garage on a HS campus in Texas (other is Highland Park).

There's a reason they have to put the courts up there. They need to expand the campus, but are now under new impervious cover restrictions. That's why they bought the surrounding lots, but can't expand the existing impervious footprint.

Athletics is getting a new 2-story building and gym. It's the building on the far right in that last pic. It's going on top of the old tennis courts and parking lot. But first they're addressing parking and courts to relocate the tennis teams.

https://4.files.edl.io/0ca1/03/14/19/210053-1b8b6378-706e-479d-80a2-55c6811f93b4.pdf

bowie4.png

bowie3.png

bowie2.png

bowie1.png

Yeah, more people will be able to park there, but it'll be an even bigger fucking nightmare getting out during any busy times. It's alread a complete cluster as is. They were going to build another school southwest, which is what they need considering the rapid growth we're seeing out here now. But nahhh, let's just get even further behind....

I can't imagine what planet you have to live on to think it's a good idea to reduce a busy, straight-through, 3 lane road to 2 lanes in order to add a turn lane.
Yeah, I rarely go that far down slaughter anymore because of the traffic. But I did a couple of months ago and saw this. What a fucking pain in the ass. I would be pissed if I used those roads often

3 minutes ago, Updawg said:
42 minutes ago, wood said:

Yeah, I rarely go that far down slaughter anymore because of the traffic. But I did a couple of months ago and saw this. What a fucking pain in the ass. I would be pissed if I used those roads often

Yeah they actually thought it would be a good idea to spend time and money to create a bottleneck where there was none before. Genius! Why didn't I think of that?

You should see the shitshow there starting at about 3pm every day.

3 minutes ago, Updawg said:

it's like they saw how effective the two lane turn concept as employed at slaughter and manchaca and decided that needed to be everywhere. 

but taking a lane away on an already congested road (wait till the new heb opens at slaughter and 35 to really drive hime the fuckery of slaughter near southpark) is beyond fucking stupid. they may need to just take out the median at some point.

36 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

it's like they saw how effective the two lane turn concept as employed at slaughter and manchaca and decided that needed to be everywhere. 

but taking a lane away on an already congested road (wait till the new heb opens at slaughter and 35 to really drive hime the fuckery of slaughter near southpark) is beyond fucking stupid. they may need to just take out the median at some point.

I have no problem with adding a turn lane, but if they take away a lane to do it, creating a bottleneck on an already very busy road, then they're just too fucking stupid for words.

Lustre Pearl opening down by Moontower. They're really doing everything they can to make that area the Far South Austin Bar District.

https://austin.eater.com/2019/4/3/18293885/lustre-pearl-open-south-austin-bar-manchaca-road-bridgete-dunlap

If everything in development comes to fruition we'll have the following within a half mile of the Manchaca/Slaughter intersection:

• Moontower 
  • Indian Roller 
  • Lustre Pearl 
  • Goodnight
  • South Austin Beer Garden

And then down the street in the old Red Shed building at S. Congress just north of Slaughter is a new cocktail bar called Nicolaza’s, from the group that runs Hopfield's. 

In the meantime you can find me drinking yellow bellies with the townies down at Giddy Ups.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, wood said:

Yeah, more people will be able to park there, but it'll be an even bigger fucking nightmare getting out during any busy times. It's alread a complete cluster as is. They were going to build another school southwest, which is what they need considering the rapid growth we're seeing out here now. But nahhh, let's just get even further behind....

This is incorrect.  I've been following this since it even got on the radar.

They were considering a SW school.  It was never agreed upon.  The district's enrollment is dropping.  Bowie's enrollment has finally stagnated a bit.  It still isn't as big as it was pre-Akins.  SE Austin is growing more rapidly than SW Austin.  The Bowie zone is full of environmentally-protected areas that will never get built on. 

Also, much of the overcrowding came from Akins and Crockett kids transferring into Bowie.  That has been curtailed the last couple of years.  There's no longer any majority-to-minority transfers allowed (Hispanic kids going to a white Bowie). 

Half of LASA enrollment was made up of kids from south of the river.  Most of those from Bowie and Austin High zones.  LASA is now moving farther south and will be even closer, and allow twice the enrollment it did at LBJ.  I could see even more Bowie kids transferring out, which will relieve overcrowding.

Lastly, the entire Bowie campus is getting millions of dollars infused.  Permanent capacity will be 2,900.  Currently, it's ~2,450 and holds ~2,900 kids.  Population projections see the Bowie zone topping off around 3,100 HS age kids in the next couple of years, then dropping back to around 2,900 again.

Personally, I'd rather continue building upon what Bowie has created.  They've had decent success in both academics and extracurricular activities.  They're the strongest HS in AISD.  Building another HS out there would have diluted them and likely created 2 average 5A high schools.

As for the parking, yes it's a nightmare.  Yes, the garage will cause a bottleneck for the students trying to leave.  But they're also redesigning the traffic flow, and adding turn lanes onto Slaughter.  We'll see how it works.

Edited by Longhorn Al

1 hour ago, irishtexan said:

Lustre Pearl opening down by Moontower. They're really doing everything they can to make that area the Far South Austin Bar District.

https://austin.eater.com/2019/4/3/18293885/lustre-pearl-open-south-austin-bar-manchaca-road-bridgete-dunlap

If everything in development comes to fruition we'll have the following within a half mile of the Manchaca/Slaughter intersection:

• Moontower 
  • Indian Roller 
  • Lustre Pearl 
  • Goodnight

And then down the street in the old Red Shed building at S. Congress just north of Slaughter is a new cocktail bar called Nicolaza’s, from the group that runs Hopfield's. 

In the meantime you can find me drinking yellow bellies with the townies down at Giddy Ups.

Manchaca-District.png

3 hours ago, Longhorn Al said:

This is incorrect.  I've been following this since it even got on the radar.

They were considering a SW school.  It was never agreed upon.  The district's enrollment is dropping.  Bowie's enrollment has finally stagnated a bit.  It still isn't as big as it was pre-Akins.  SE Austin is growing more rapidly than SW Austin.  The Bowie zone is full of environmentally-protected areas that will never get built on. 

Also, much of the overcrowding came from Akins and Crockett kids transferring into Bowie.  That has been curtailed the last couple of years.  There's no longer any majority-to-minority transfers allowed (Hispanic kids going to a white Bowie). 

Half of LASA enrollment was made up of kids from south of the river.  Most of those from Bowie and Austin High zones.  LASA is now moving farther south and will be even closer, and allow twice the enrollment it did at LBJ.  I could see even more Bowie kids transferring out, which will relieve overcrowding.

Lastly, the entire Bowie campus is getting millions of dollars infused.  Permanent capacity will be 2,900.  Currently, it's ~2,450 and holds ~2,900 kids.  Population projections see the Bowie zone topping off around 3,100 HS age kids in the next couple of years, then dropping back to around 2,900 again.

Personally, I'd rather continue building upon what Bowie has created.  They've had decent success in both academics and extracurricular activities.  They're the strongest HS in AISD.  Building another HS out there would have diluted them and likely created 2 average 5A high schools.

As for the parking, yes it's a nightmare.  Yes, the garage will cause a bottleneck for the students trying to leave.  But they're also redesigning the traffic flow, and adding turn lanes onto Slaughter.  We'll see how it works.

Nailed it. SE will be the next AISD HS. It’s growing rapidly and Akins is already full.

On 4/3/2019 at 7:09 PM, Longhorn Al said:

This place has been on tap (thank you, thank you) for YEARS.  They've finally started doing some work to it, and it looks like it'll be ready soon.  This is half a mile south of Moontower Saloon, and 3/4 of a mile south of Indian Roller.  All on the same side of Manchaca. 

Across from Moontower is supposed to be The Goodnight, an adult bowling alley.  That's been in the works for awhile, but I haven't seen any progress online yet.  Hopefully it's not a gutter ball.

https://communityimpact.com/local-news/austin/southwest-austin/features/dining/2019/04/03/south-austin-beer-garden-will-open-this-spring/

FB_IMG_1553730189250.jpg

FB_IMG_1553730198860.jpg

Menchaca, you racist!

16 minutes ago, gurt said:

Sam’s Town Point is an absolute dive. Can you still smoke in there? I know you could circa 2011 since it wasn’t part of the CoA if I recall.

Never been in there.  But looking at a map shows the parking lot to be in the city, but the bar itself is just outside the city.

Edited by Longhorn Al

9 hours ago, gurt said:

Sam’s Town Point is an absolute dive. Can you still smoke in there? I know you could circa 2011 since it wasn’t part of the CoA if I recall.

Totally forgot about Sam's Town Point. Fantastic bar. You can't smoke inside but you can bring your own liquor in there and pay for "setups", whatever that means. Usually good music too.

Your handle has the words Irish and Texan in it.  And you don’t know what a liquor setup at a beer/wine bar is?   Am I reading that correctly ?

https://communityimpact.com/local-news/austin/southwest-austin/features/dining/2019/04/05/moontower-owner-will-bring-brick-tops-pub-to-south-austin/

Moontower owner bringing a pub/burger joint called Brick Top's to the area.  It's going in the southernmost suite facing Manchaca Road.  It's next to Shogun, the Japanese restaurant, and a donut shop. 

It's basically under the last 'r' in "Indian Roller" on the map I previously posted.

The number of new developments springing up along South Congress Avenue keeps growing. The latest planned project will be a four-story building with three floors of office space above street-level retail and restaurants, developer Turnbridge Equities told the American-Statesman. Named 1221 South Congress after its address, the project will replace one of the 12 buildings that currently make up the 287-unit State House apartment complex. Turnbridge Equities bought the apartment complex in October 2017. Construction on the new 102,475-square-foot building is due to begin in June and should wrap up in July 2020, said Andrew Joblon, a managing principal and founder of Turnbridge Equities, a privately held real estate investment and development firm. Parking for the new project will be in an existing garage. Forty-two apartment units in the State House building are being demolished to make way for the new building. The remaining 245 apartment units will be renovated as they become vacant, and rebranded as the Lola, Joblon said.

https://www.statesman.com/news/20190404/another-new-mixed-use-project-planned-for-south-congress-avenue

It's the building directly across the street from my avatar.

AR-190409399.jpg

EP-190409399.jpg

EP-190409399.jpg

PH-404009989.jpg

9 hours ago, bolverk said:

Still waiting on development to creep down to our small parcel on way South Congress.  Got a 1/4 acre down near that metal recycling place and the auto salvage yards.

• Like 1

On 4/4/2019 at 1:09 PM, wood said:

I’m not sure what stage it is in now but this is the final design:

D114830-A-8896-4793-99-D5-D2-C57-BC2-A30
dic eroller

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Pasken said:

I’m not sure what stage it is in now but this is the final design:

D114830-A-8896-4793-99-D5-D2-C57-BC2-A30
dic eroller

Welp, I hope that's how it ends up, but just yesterday or the day before, it was still 2 lefts & 2 straight westbound. Doesn't make much sense to run it like that and then switch back later, but I've seen COA do stupider stuff than that, so ...

Hmmm ... drove thru there a few times this weekend. All signs of construction are gone & it looks like the project has been completed. New curbs, signage, striping etc.

2 dedicated left turn lanes, 1 straight-through lane, and 1 straight or right-turn option lane. FML.

On 4/14/2019 at 6:37 PM, wood said:

Hmmm ... drove thru there a few times this weekend. All signs of construction are gone & it looks like the project has been completed. New curbs, signage, striping etc.

2 dedicated left turn lanes, 1 straight-through lane, and 1 straight or right-turn option lane. FML.

So that was a part of the Safe Intersections initiative from the 2016 bond which was on an immediate implementation schedule to help save lives/reduce crashes. The schematic I posted is  a different budge and program that spans all of Slaughter and won't be ready for construction until 2020-2021. It will make more drastic changes to the ROW and easements which could accomplish the same safety directive without narrowing the corridor like that. I don't know. I don't work in the office but you can email them to find out. 

I believe they are suppose to be adding a 3rd auto lane in each direction between Mopac and Brodie but then it goes back to 2 lanes because the ROW narrows. It's suppose to pick back up to 3 lanes after Manchack and I don't know why they would plan long term for narrowing to 2 lanes at the S1st intersection unless the traffic pattern suggested a lot of people were turning there and creating a backup. Have the timing of the lights changed at all? Doubling the turn lanes could allow them to reduce the left turn green time and reduce the amount of time the WB vehicles are stopped. 

Idk.  I feel like Austin would be better suited at getting rid of many 4 way lights and putting in more Michigan U-Turns but people fucking hate them even though it reduces traffic and congestion. There is one coming to Riverside at Pleasant Valley. We'll see if it makes it past public comment.

Screen-Shot-2019-04-16-at-9-48-12-AM.jpg

On 4/4/2019 at 4:23 PM, irishtexan said:

• Moontower 
  • Indian Roller 
  • Lustre Pearl 
  • Goodnight

If I'm not walking to Skull Mechanix or St Elmo, you'll find me at Bender or 04 lounge.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Bigpoppapump said:

If I'm not walking to Skull Mechanix or St Elmo, you'll find me at Bender or 04 lounge.

If you're up at Ben White and Congress those are fine options. But Skull Mechanix is 7 miles away from Slaughter and Manchaca. You're significantly closer to downtown than you are the Moontower.

Personally I go to Little Darlin' more than any of the others. I just find it interesting that they've been able to make "far south bar district" stick at Slaughter and Manchaca. 

If you're up at Ben White and Congress those are fine options. But Skull Mechanix is 7 miles away from Slaughter and Manchaca. You're significantly closer to downtown than you are the Moontower.
Personally I go to Little Darlin' more than any of the others. I just find it interesting that they've been able to make "far south bar district" stick at Slaughter and Manchaca. 

I do love little darlin as well.
  • Like 1

On 4/8/2019 at 7:14 PM, Longhorn Al said:

https://communityimpact.com/local-news/austin/southwest-austin/features/dining/2019/04/05/moontower-owner-will-bring-brick-tops-pub-to-south-austin/

Moontower owner bringing a pub/burger joint called Brick Top's to the area.  It's going in the southernmost suite facing Manchaca Road.  It's next to Shogun, the Japanese restaurant, and a donut shop. 

It's basically under the last 'r' in "Indian Roller" on the map I previously posted.

wait what the fuck - Independence Fine Foods closed? Nooooooo!

i don't understand - just googled and it says it closed at the end of January, but that's a weird amount of time for me not to have been there/realize it is gone.  I guess my wife went on a no carb thing earlier this year so we probably didn't go for a bit, but that place had great burgers and really good everything else.

Also, just to piggyback on the surprising amount of bar down there (and burgers) - Little Darlin a bit further east on Circle S near Wm Cannon and Congress is my favorite neighborhood spot.  I don't drink (any more) but it's a cool pseudo dive with billiards and a great outdoor area and also a fantastic almost no frills burger (american cheese, pickled onions, really good patty and solid bacon)

little_darlin_porch.jpg?format=2500w

now I see I scrolled past the mentions of that place in my shock at Independence being gone, but Little Darlin is great

Edited by Celery Man