Plane Crash in Town Lake

Mittens

1. I had no idea TPWD had planes.

2. What TF is a TPWD plane doing flying around Austin? Looking for paddle boarders without life jackets?

3. That dude in the paddle board gave no fucks about saving anyone. He was just pissed the plane interrupted his 'gram photo.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

so surly hates cops.  where does it stand on game wardens?  

I like GWs. I find it funny when I see them on Town Lake in their jon boat warning a shitton of people about not having a life jacket on a paddle board. So basically their job is to look at all the hot ass women on paddle boards in TL. Could be much much worse.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

1. I had no idea TPWD had planes.

2. What TF is a TPWD plane doing flying around Austin? Looking for paddle boarders without life jackets?

3. That dude in the paddle board gave no fucks about saving anyone. He was just pissed the plane interrupted his 'gram photo.

I knew they had planes, but yeah, around Austin? My guess is a joy ride over the lake. 

Just now, InkaUtexas said:

I knew they had planes, but yeah, around Austin? My guess is a joy ride over the lake. 

It's funny and obvious as shit what they are doing when they are in their jon boat idling around the brotilla at the mouth of Barton Creek. They will spend a few hours idling around warning people and then sit their boat in the shade on the bank looking through binoculars "searching for paddle boarders without life jackets". 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, WBT said:

How many EMS and ambulances does it take to do the work of 1 paddleboarder?

If you were a local EMS and ambulance and you heard that a place crashed into TL, you'd be curious as fuck too and want to see that shit for yourself. The next time I'm SUP'ing TL, I'm launching over in that area just to see the plane. Might bring my fishing pole as there's new structure for bass. That's awful thoughtful of TPWD to think of the bass fishermen.

• Haha 2

seaholm_1955.jpeg

People don't understand how much junk is under the water surface there.  This is the first pic I came up with, but there is more under the water, including the debris of granite and concrete blocks from the failure of the dam for Lake Austin.  It would need to be drained and dredged before it would be safe for regular recreational swimming and such.

• Hook 'Em 4

31 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

I like GWs. I find it funny when I see them on Town Lake in their jon boat warning a shitton of people about not having a life jacket on a paddle board. So basically their job is to look at all the hot ass women on paddle boards in TL. Could be much much worse.

@kingkoopa6 is a game warden?

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

7 minutes ago, DalTxHornFan said:

seaholm_1955.jpeg

People don't understand how much junk is under the water surface there.  This is the first pic I came up with, but there is more under the water, including the debris of granite and concrete blocks from the failure of the dam for Lake Austin.  It would need to be drained and dredged before it would be safe for regular recreational swimming and such.

I think it's fairly clear of debris near the surface. The main turnoff for me is how nasty that water is. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, DalTxHornFan said:

Hypothetically speaking, I wouldn't be surprised if there's the chopped up bodies/chassis of half a dozen Toyotas stolen between '92-'94, missing the motors ands and tires.

Edit: Never mind, I'm thinking Lake Travis.

Edited by atomheartbevo
  • Hook 'Em 1

12 hours ago, Mittens said:

Have to admit that being rescued by a paddle boarder is so very on brand for Austin 2022.

This too:  

TPWD said there’s no timetable for getting the plane out of the lake, but crews are securing the crash site “to reduce any environmental impacts.”

Guy puts a plane in the drink and Austin’s response is to make sure it doesn’t harm all the dead bodies, deformed fish, and that one alleged alligator. 

Edited by Your Mom
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, DalTxHornFan said:

seaholm_1955.jpeg

I've heard that all my life. Just seems like that would be a reasonable thing to spend money on. 

13 minutes ago, CleverNickname said:

I've heard that all my life. Just seems like that would be a reasonable thing to spend money on. 

I don't disagree, at all.  I ran Water Events at the Aqua Festival and learned first hand about all of the obstacles that we had to work around out there.  It would be way cheaper to do that than most of the other nonsense that the COA spends money on. 

2 hours ago, 4th_and_18 said:

The plane is out of the water as of 9pm.

I passed it driving south on 35 about an hour ago, sitting on a flatbed trailer on the blocked off feeder road.  There was some damage to the front near the propeller, but the rest of it looked pretty intact.

17 hours ago, bschoolprof said:

so surly hates cops.  where does it stand on game wardens?  

Back in the day, one of my Uncles operated a huge marina on Lake Palestine.  Naturally, he had a good relationship with all the game wardens and local yokels.  One afternoon, my grandad, dad, and another uncle were out on the lake fishing.  He had a game warden arrest them and tow them into the marina.  One of the 'charges' was "failure to keep your bait alive" (they had a dead minnow in their minnow bucket).  When they got close enough to the marina, my culprit uncle was rolling around on the dock absolutely laughing his ass off amongst a few empty beer cans.  Needless to say, Papaw, Dad, and Uncle were absolutely furious.  

Anyway /csb

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 3