Learn me on futbol by 2026

So with today's announcement of the WC sites, I want to have a better understanding of the game and its players & coaches before it kicks off.

What would you devise as a basic strategy for learning this for a fan of sports, but not necessarily soccer? Wanting to learn the international angles/ rivalries, as well as the players to watch.  maybe coaches too.

I am sincerely asking and not bullshitting.  i know there are some very passionate fans on here who love the sport.  I have admittedly stirred the pot in the past with regard to soccer, and that is not my intent going forward.

Your reputation precedes you. And I'm a fucking sucker for falling for it.

Right now, with so little futbol going on other than MLS, it's basically YouTube and Wikipedia. Once the euro season starts back up again in August, pick a league out of the German Bundesliga, English PL, Spanish La Liga, Italian Serie A, or French Ligue 1 (Bundesliga, EPL, or La Liga probably have the most world cup bound players I'm guessing) and just watch and learn. 

I got into the sport when my oldest daughter was born because EPL coverage was the only thing on at 6am after I'd already been awake for 3 hours. 

I got into it pretty quick - there is something to be said for commercial free, guaranteed 2 hour and no more time commitments when it comes to sports. And it truly is a beautiful game when you get past the stupid theatrics.

And the emotion and tension you see in these high profile league games, whether it's a promotion battle or a battle to win the league.... Multiply that by 10 and you start to get close to World Cup levels.

Edited by dieucla98
  • Hook 'Em 2

But seriously, if you're interested in picking up the game, start watching one of the European leagues when they come back in the fall - I recommend the EPL because it is the easiest to watch (NBC, USA Network and all). That will allow you to see high level soccer being played. Don't worry about picking a team (you will eventually gravitate toward one), just watch the games. It's e great way to spend Saturday and Sunday mornings in the fall & spring.

You can watch MLS this summer, but realize you are going to notice a big difference in play between it and the top Euro leagues. And you aren't going to see a lot of players that are going to be playing in the World Cup.

If you start the EPL in August, by the time the World Cup comes around in November you will be familiar with some names, faces you will have a lot more interest.

Do that for the 2022-23 season. Come 23-24, expand your horizons. Start looking at other leagues in other countries or maybe just start watching the Champions League mid-weeks. That will give you exposure to the top clubs and top players across Europe, it can be an easy gateway into other countries too.

• Hook 'Em 3

Lesson 1, this is a ball.

i10tofrmnx591.jpg

Lesson 2, this is a goal (ball for reference)
Tourney3.jpg

Lesson 3, kick the ball into the goal
giphy.gif

Lesson 4, do that more than the opponent and win
giphy.gif

Lesson 5, VAR says fuck you and you still lose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When a ref sucks, this is only a yellow card. (It absolutely should be a red card / expulsion without a replacement player for the USA player in white.)

8F484BF7-FA39-48BB-BFA8-F7CFFE2B7257.gif.e6054e716dcd132f76fc0b0f7fac32ee.gif

Also, a ball without any spin can knuckle all over and confuse the shit out of a “keeper”… like these.

Edited by Napoleon
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

On 6/16/2022 at 9:46 PM, Captain Ron said:

But seriously, if you're interested in picking up the game, start watching one of the European leagues when they come back in the fall - I recommend the EPL because it is the easiest to watch (NBC, USA Network and all). That will allow you to see high level soccer being played. Don't worry about picking a team (you will eventually gravitate toward one), just watch the games. It's e great way to spend Saturday and Sunday mornings in the fall & spring.

You can watch MLS this summer, but realize you are going to notice a big difference in play between it and the top Euro leagues. And you aren't going to see a lot of players that are going to be playing in the World Cup.

If you start the EPL in August, by the time the World Cup comes around in November you will be familiar with some names, faces you will have a lot more interest.

Do that for the 2022-23 season. Come 23-24, expand your horizons. Start looking at other leagues in other countries or maybe just start watching the Champions League mid-weeks. That will give you exposure to the top clubs and top players across Europe, it can be an easy gateway into other countries too.

Good stuff here.  I'm not a video game guy, but FIFA has introduced the game to a lot of people.  Kind of a weird time to start following a team, but there will be pre-season type games coming soon.  

Don't think you're likely to be a hard core type guy so I'd keep the team picking simple.  There are lots of good reasons to pick any of the bigger teams, but I would steer you to one of the bigger EPL clubs.  WGAF if anyone considers it bandwagonning.  Easiest team right now for an American would be Chelsea with Pulisic(of course that could change lol) and new American owners vs. their Russian oligarch.  

The leagues/cups are kind of hard to explain unless you follow when they're going on imo.  

Everyone will tell you their team is best to follow and that the other fanbases are aggy/ou/Tech fans.  It's all crap, just depends on your perspective fr the most art.  While I say to not over think your club, you may want to look at the club a little bit.  Many have strong ties to the communities/origins.  If you are a hard core conservative, you may find following Liverpool or everton a little hard.  If you dislike certain religions/denominations following Spurs or Celtic or Rangers might be a little weird.  

• Like 1

Yeah, no matter which team I go with, there's likely going to a "bandwagon" element.  No fucks really given there.  I will start out watching like y'all have graciously suggested.  I'm sure either a scheme/ philosophy/ attitude or player(s) will make me gravitate to a certain club eventually.  When I say it is a blank slate, it could not be a more naked canvas.  I don't know shit about the histories or different clubs.  To your point, I'm damned sure not going to favor a certain team on someone else's word.  To be fair, nobody really answered that way either, so far.  

Obviously, once WC play starts, I'll pull for USMNT; but I would like to be more aware of the individual players( stars) on other teams.

I do really appreciate the answers in the thread.

Edited by slorch

I disagree just watching the World Cup is enough. If you're only picking up the game every 4 years, you aren't going to know the bulk of the guys playing. You likely know the really big names, but you aren't going to know a lot of the stars that aren't Messi, Ronaldo, Mbappe "big" but are the ones that make the game.

I pretty much was just a USMNT follower until 2010. It probably started ONLY World cups until 1998. For 2002 I caught some qualifying and for 2006 I was watching nearly all of the qualifying. Same for 2010. But honestly, I didn't know what these guys could really do. I watched them maybe 2 dozen times across 2 years. I didn't see any of their pro games. I didn't see them really play the game and understand how they were being used or mis-used in USMNT play.

After 2010, I started to follow the EPL a little and really picked i up in the last few years of Fox.

But by following the EPL then, the 2014 and 2018 World Cups were so much better experiences. No longer was I just watching the USMNT and knowing that team. I could watch any of the games and I had a good idea who a lot of the guys were and how they played. Sure I didn't know every single player, but there were players on all teams and you could pick them out and the games were a lot more interesting to watch. As you throw UCL teams in there, you basically are getting all of the big players for every country.

• Hook 'Em 2

47 minutes ago, Captain Ron said:

I disagree just watching the World Cup is enough. If you're only picking up the game every 4 years, you aren't going to know the bulk of the guys playing. You likely know the really big names, but you aren't going to know a lot of the stars that aren't Messi, Ronaldo, Mbappe "big" but are the ones that make the game.

You have a peculiar habit of making up disagreements.

Perhaps I misread @slorch's OP, but it seemed like he was just asking for the best way to get a handle on a sport. Watching the upcoming 2022 World Cup should be more than enough to accomplish that.

Maybe I'm wrong, though. Perhaps he wishes to become a footy wonk of the highest caliber (calibre). In that case, sure, he should catch as many club and international soccer matches as he can, read all the forums, browse every website, watch YouTube highlights, and on and on.

12 hours ago, slorch said:

Yeah, no matter which team I go with, there's likely going to a "bandwagon" element.  No fucks really given there.  I will start out watching like y'all have graciously suggested.  I'm sure either a scheme/ philosophy/ attitude or player(s) will make me gravitate to a certain club eventually.  When I say it is a blank slate, it could not be a more naked canvas.  I don't know shit about the histories or different clubs.  To your point, I'm damned sure not going to favor a certain team on someone else's word.  To be fair, nobody really answered that way either, so far.  

Obviously, once WC play starts, I'll pull for USMNT; but I would like to be more aware of the individual players( stars) on other teams.

I do really appreciate the answers in the thread.

WC is for countries, not clubs, so I’m not sure why rivalries or history at the club level would matter if your focus is on the WC in 2026. Internationally there are some natural rivalries (border countries), and historical ones (consistent WC finalists), but it’s rarely as hot as the club stuff since the WC is every 4 years. A lot of players have made their marks at the club level. Messi is a football god, but that was largely built on his success at Barcelona, not Argentina. Ronaldo has been successful at both the club and country level. You should understand that individual superstars don’t always translate to carrying a team at the WC.

France is loaded. Belgium is loaded. Germany is still a work in progress under a new HC, but generally bring very disciplined, technical play to the game. Brazil usually plays very entertaining football. Most “good” international players are in the EPL, but most “good” German players are in the Bundesliga, so it really depends on what team you want to latch onto outside of the USMNT. 

9 hours ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Perhaps I misread @slorch's OP, but it seemed like he was just asking for the best way to get a handle on a sport. Watching the upcoming 2022 World Cup should be more than enough to accomplish that.

Maybe I'm wrong, though. Perhaps he wishes to become a footy wonk of the highest caliber (calibre). In that case, sure, he should catch as many club and international soccer matches as he can, read all the forums, browse every website, watch YouTube highlights, and on and on.

Call it whatever you want. I don't think watching just the World Cup would:

A. be the answer to what OP asked "a better understanding of the game and its players & coaches"

B. really teaches you "the game." I mean, sure, it's soccer, but you see much more complex and interesting play among the pro teams.

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, slorch said:

If KD and Westbrook were teamed up on Team USA basketball, there’d be some significant history there, right?

That’s what I was getting at.

To some degree I guess. I can’t think of many players that carry club grudges into international play. Dortmund and Bayern are the two big rivalries in the Budesliga, and there is significant shit talking in league play, but I haven’t seen Reus have any trouble playing with Muller, Neuer, etc. Kroos took some pretty big shots at Bayern when he left for RM, but again, I haven’t seen any issue when they put on the Germany shirts.

The WC is so significant and it’s really hard for an individual player to try to take over. I know the good team beats good players saying is true across all sports, but in soccer I think it’s pretty significant. WC play is a step down from club play IMO just because of the lack of playing time together, guys playing out of position, playing in systems they may not be as strong in, etc. They train and play for clubs almost year round, and the best soccer comes from transcendent moments where multiple guys all get on the same wavelength and create magic. Set pieces (corner kicks, free kicks) are the only time where guys are running set plays that they have practiced. Outside of that players are creating chances out of actions and reactions, and the best ones come from hundreds of hours of training and playing together. 

10 hours ago, Braff Zacklin said:

I think there's a middle ground, but I'm struggling how to start watching and learn more by just watching international games.  The games are infrequent and many aren't necessarily competitive or "important".  

If a kid from Brazil who knew about soccer wanted to become more knowledgeable about basketball, because the Olympics were coming up and he was going to just focus on national teams, it seems like an odd way.  Maybe that's me though.

4 minutes ago, pied06 said:

I think there's a middle ground, but I'm struggling how to start watching and learn more by just watching international games.  The games are infrequent and many aren't necessarily competitive or "important".  

Please read your first two sentences, then reread my suggestion in post No.12.  Both you and Ron are attributing comments or conclusions to me that I did not make, and it's kind of ridiculous.

If I wanted to become an NFL fan, it seems to me the simplest solution would be to watch more NFL games. On the other hand, if I wanted to become a general American football expert, then the obvious solution would be to absorb as much of the sport as possible, including viewing all levels of competition.

The 2022 World Cup kicks off in about five months. If slorch watches it and likes what he sees, the rest will take care of itself, i.e., he's not going to wait four years to watch more. And this year's tournament will certainly allow him to pick up on top players, coaches, rivalries--all the things he mentioned in his OP.

• Hook 'Em 1

37 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Please read your first two sentences, then reread my suggestion in post No.12.  Both you and Ron are attributing comments or conclusions to me that I did not make, and it's kind of ridiculous.

If I wanted to become an NFL fan, it seems to me the simplest solution would be to watch more NFL games. On the other hand, if I wanted to become a general American football expert, then the obvious solution would be to absorb as much of the sport as possible, including viewing all levels of competition.

The 2022 World Cup kicks off in about five months. If slorch watches it and likes what he sees, the rest will take care of itself, i.e., he's not going to wait four years to watch more. And this year's tournament will certainly allow him to pick up on top players, coaches, rivalries--all the things he mentioned in his OP.

You seem to be the one having an issue, not Slorch. 

The teams and MANY of the players will not be the same in ‘26 that will play in Nov/Dec of this year. The story lines will be different then for a myriad of reasons. 

If you watched the Conference Championships and Super Bowl this year, it would not likely help you to understand those games/players/rivalries in four years time IMO. 

That’s why I said, to me only following the National Teams would be a difficult way to learn the game. 

Just pick a Big 6 English Prem team (Manchester United, Manchester City, Tottenham Hotspur (lol i wouldn't), Arsenal (lol x 2), Liverpool, or Chelsea), after watching a few of their matches when the season restarts in August (particularly if they play each other, you'll get their individualistic club vibe that might resonate with you). Most are big London clubs, which, if you end up falling in love with them is a great advantage to eventually go see a live match. Man City is absolutely dominant and they just debatably bought the best young player in the world over the summer. They will be a force. Chelsea has the top American player (for now), though the EPL is now being populated by more and more young americans (you are allowed to have a second team to root for, this isn't like the NFL or someshit - pick Leeds, they have an American manager who saved the club from relegation and then bought perhaps our second or third most exciting young American player over the summer). Everyone hates Man U and loves to watch them fail, so probably don't pick them. In theory, they are the Texas Longhorns of the EPL that brings about so much unfounded anger in even the most casual fans, but in reality the 'Horns are Arsenal who are still considered big 6, have loads of talent and a passionate fan base, but are constantly underachieving. 

I wouldn't recommend picking a bottom of the table team hoping to watch them advance up the table over the years and eventually win a spot playing in the champions league (a secondary competition that puts the top of the table teams from all the big Euro leagues in a concurrent season-long tournament to establish the Kings of European football). I did pick Newcastle in 1995 when they were massive, but have fallen off hard since. They just got bought by billionaires from Saudi, so they might eventually buy their way to the top like Man City did, but it takes a while. And also, there is a major moral conflict with your favorite club finding success this way (esp through oil/saudi/russian money). 

Anyway, just pick Liverpool and enjoy the run.

What did I forget?

If you’re trying to learn the game and get a feel for it, ESPN is a good way to go. ESPN owns the right to the Bundesliga so you get better access to those games now with an ESPN+ subscription. A lot of USMNT players are either currently there or came through the BuLi, so there’s that too.  NBC likes to push their big PL games to peacock, which sucks. 

51 minutes ago, pied06 said:

You seem to be the one having an issue, not Slorch.

The teams and MANY of the players will not be the same in ‘26 that will play in Nov/Dec of this year. The story lines will be different then for a myriad of reasons.

If you watched the Conference Championships and Super Bowl this year, it would not likely help you to understand those games/players/rivalries in four years time IMO.

That’s why I said, to me only following the National Teams would be a difficult way to learn the game. 

Is English not your first language? Your first response to me said "just watching international games" wasn't a good suggestion because they are infrequent and often not competitive or important. 

But I didn't recommend that slorch just watch international games. You made up something to attribute to me and then argued against it.

I advised slorch to watch the upcoming World Cup, where the games are very frequent (usually three matches a day, every day, for a couple of weeks), very competitive, and very important. There is a night-and-day difference between catching the odd friendly or qualifier and watching the Cup.

If you don't believe that watching the 2022 World Cup will get slorch interested and teach him a great deal about the sport, that's fine. We'll agree to disagree. But at least have the simple courtesy to read and respond to what has been written instead of responding to what you wish had been written.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Is English not your first language? Your first response to me said "just watching international games" wasn't a good suggestion because they are infrequent and often not competitive or important. 

But I didn't recommend that slorch just watch international games. You made up something to attribute to me and then argued against it.

I advised slorch to watch the upcoming World Cup, where the games are very frequent (usually three matches a day, every day, for a couple of weeks), very competitive, and very important. There is a night-and-day difference between catching the odd friendly or qualifier and watching the Cup.

If you don't believe that watching the 2022 World Cup will get slorch interested and teach him a great deal about the sport, that's fine. We'll agree to disagree. But at least have the simple courtesy to read and respond to what has been written instead of responding to what you wish had been written.

You the man.  Seems like we could have this silly conversation on a different thread or PM, because my reading comprehension or lack thereof doesn't seem important here.  

9 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Whatever, man. You chose to misread my comments and responded to them accordingly. Way to own it.

Please accept my most humble apologies.  I was wrong and you were right.  I can't read or reply in English very well and took some points or specific sentences out of context.

Once again, I'm very very sorry.

1 hour ago, pied06 said:

You the man.  Seems like we could have this silly conversation on a different thread or PM, because my reading comprehension or lack thereof doesn't seem important here.  

I don't know Man, I saw this (emphasis mine)

16 hours ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Just watch the World Cup that kicks off in November. Catch most of the matches and you should end up with a great feel for the game.

And pretty much came to same conclusion that he literally said watch ONLY the World Cup/International soccer.

Edited by Captain Ron
  • Hook 'Em 1

55 minutes ago, Captain Ron said:

I don't know Man, I saw this (emphasis mine)

And pretty much came to same conclusion that he literally said watch ONLY the World Cup/International soccer.

"I'm hungry."

"Just grab a burger and you'll be fine."

Ron and pied: "Oh, so we should ONLY eat burgers? That's the ONLY thing that will cure our appetite?"

Like I said, you look for things to argue about.

• Like 1

The take home up to this point though, is if you only watch International football you are like the person that only follows the Men's Olympic basketball team or god forbid someone who only follows the Cuban World Baseball Classic team and sees a very watered down version of the game. It's a great way to develop interest in the game, but not understand the game.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, MoJames said:

The take home up to this point though, is if you only watch International football you are like the person that only follows the Men's Olympic basketball team or god forbid someone who only follows the Cuban World Baseball Classic team and sees a very watered down version of the game. It's a great way to develop interest in the game, but not understand the game.

Agree to an extent, but I haven't seen one person suggest only watching international football.

Recommending that someone follow the 2022 World Cup as a means of "dipping one's toes" into the sport is distinctly different from advising that one only watch international soccer to become an expert on the subject. Night and day in terms of content and scope.

Braff has the right idea. Just watch as much of the World Cup as you can. For you, it doesn't need to be any more complicated than that (at least - over the next six months). The World Cup is honestly the most perfect introduction to any sport that exists. It's like losing your virginity to a pair of Swedish models. 

The EPL season starts in August - so you can try and follow that as a precursor - but you might not "get it" until the World Cup comes along. The MLS is in the middle of the season right now and doesn't totally suck for someone that hasn't watched a ton of high level soccer. The games are also in American time zones which can be more convenient.

Champions League is also extremely entertaining and not as big of a commitment as following a team over 30+ matches in a domestic league. It's all of the best teams from across Europe playing a couple of games at a time in a season long tournament. When you get to the round of 16 or 8 it's basically the highest level of soccer there is.

If you dig the World Cup then most of the EPL and Champions League will have yet to be played at its conclusion so you can pretty much instantly tune in to more soccer if you want. Or if you just kind of dig it you could just follow the US team - who plays 10-15 games a year - and maybe check out other international tournaments like Copa (all of the South American teams) or Euro (self-explanatory). 

Edited by ztejas
  • Hook 'Em 2

15 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Braff has the right idea. Just watch as much of the World Cup as you can. For you, it doesn't need to be any more complicated than that (at least - over the next six months). The World Cup is honestly the most perfect introduction to any sport that exists. It's like losing your virginity to a pair of Swedish models. 

The EPL season starts in August - so you can try and follow that as a precursor - but you might not "get it" until the World Cup comes along. The MLS is in the middle of the season right now and doesn't totally suck for someone that hasn't watched a ton of high level soccer. The games are also in American time zones which can be more convenient.

Champions League is also extremely entertaining and not as big of a commitment as following a team over 30+ matches in a domestic league. It's all of the best teams from across Europe playing a couple of games at a time in a season long tournament. When you get to the round of 16 or 8 it's basically the highest level of soccer there is.

If you dig the World Cup then most of the EPL and Champions League will have yet to be played at its conclusion so you can pretty much instantly tune in to more soccer if you want. Or if you just kind of dig it you could just follow the US team - who plays 10-15 games a year - and maybe check out other international tournaments like Copa (all of the South American teams) or Euro (self-explanatory). 

The best way to tailgate for a Saturday College football game is not by watching College Gameday, it's being at tailgate and watching English Premier League or Bundesliga matches from 8-11 when the first CFB games come on.  

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

Hold on, I thought......  ahhhhh never mind.

4 hours ago, MoJames said:

Season 9 Smh GIF by The Office

There's some serious talent in the final third in the MLS. Finishing isn't as clinical but a lot of the link-up play and shotmaking is pretty quality. The defense and goalkeeping is... uh... not great. 

• Hook 'Em 1

16 hours ago, Bottlecap said:

Just pick a Big 6 English Prem team (Manchester United, Manchester City, Tottenham Hotspur (lol i wouldn't), Arsenal (lol x 2), Liverpool, or Chelsea), after watching a few of their matches when the season restarts in August (particularly if they play each other, you'll get their individualistic club vibe that might resonate with you). Most are big London clubs, which, if you end up falling in love with them is a great advantage to eventually go see a live match. Man City is absolutely dominant and they just debatably bought the best young player in the world over the summer. They will be a force. Chelsea has the top American player (for now), though the EPL is now being populated by more and more young americans (you are allowed to have a second team to root for, this isn't like the NFL or someshit - pick Leeds, they have an American manager who saved the club from relegation and then bought perhaps our second or third most exciting young American player over the summer). Everyone hates Man U and loves to watch them fail, so probably don't pick them. In theory, they are the Texas Longhorns of the EPL that brings about so much unfounded anger in even the most casual fans, but in reality the 'Horns are Arsenal who are still considered big 6, have loads of talent and a passionate fan base, but are constantly underachieving. 

I wouldn't recommend picking a bottom of the table team hoping to watch them advance up the table over the years and eventually win a spot playing in the champions league (a secondary competition that puts the top of the table teams from all the big Euro leagues in a concurrent season-long tournament to establish the Kings of European football). I did pick Newcastle in 1995 when they were massive, but have fallen off hard since. They just got bought by billionaires from Saudi, so they might eventually buy their way to the top like Man City did, but it takes a while. And also, there is a major moral conflict with your favorite club finding success this way (esp through oil/saudi/russian money). 

Anyway, just pick Liverpool and enjoy the run.

What did I forget?

As an Arsenal fan I would just say to follow what players leave Ajax and Dortmund because in 4 years they will probably be the ones to watch in 2026. 

the key to getting started is ease of access.

World Cup will be televised in the US, but it will be 4am and 7am weekday games. How dedicated will the mildly interested American be?

Premier League - works for most American's lifestyle. A 2 hour televised game (USA network) is always broadcasted on a Sat and Sun in mid/late morning.

i associated soccer with coffee and breakfast - i think that is uniquely an American thing.

Edited by yoladu

9 minutes ago, yoladu said:

World Cup will be televised in the US, but it will be 4am and 7am weekday games. How dedicated will the mildly interested American be?

Premier League - works for most American's lifestyle. A televised game (USA network) is always broadcasted on a Sat and Sun mid/late morning.

They will replay World Cup games later in the day. 

41 minutes ago, yoladu said:

Premier League - works for most American's lifestyle. A 2 hour televised game (USA network) is always broadcasted on a Sat and Sun in mid/late morning.

i associated soccer with coffee and breakfast - i think that is uniquely an American thing.

From what i've read, the majority of the matches will be 9am, 11am and 1pm, Central.  That's pretty damned good coverage right there. THis isn't the Japan/S Korea WC  

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

From what i've read, the majority of the matches will be 9am, 11am and 1pm, Central.  That's pretty damned good coverage right there. THis isn't the Japan/S Korea WC  

Oh so he's just making shit up. 

A lot of EPL snobbery in here. 

• Hook 'Em 1