2022 College World Series Thread

Horny Bull

4 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

What must we do to win you over?!

Anyways today, and today only, it’s nice to see you all right next to the tranny cheerleader and I, rooting on the good guys!

fuck me, rooting for the land thieves over aggy. Oh well, guess I can justify since there are better collie station. 

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

So who is considered the best Head Coach in college baseball that's still coaching now ??

Serious answer. Not sure there’s a best. There’s a lot of great ones though. Pat Casey, John Savage, Jay Johnson, Kevin O’Sullivan, Schloss, Tim Corbin are all great coaches. I’d be cool with any of em running our program. I’m more than happy with Pierce though. Especially with us shaking up the staff some 

Just now, Valmy77 said:

That was a big moment for OU there.

Sandlin is pitching awesome. Not sure how that is happening. Fucking Sooner magic or some shit.

Skip clearly learned some of that Augie touch. Unreal what they’ve done this year. I thought Skip was done after our Sunday game with em 

Just now, Fletch said:

Serious answer. Not sure there’s a best. There’s a lot of great ones though. Pat Casey, John Savage, Jay Johnson, Kevin O’Sullivan, Schloss, Tim Corbin are all great coaches. I’d be cool with any of em running our program. I’m more than happy with Pierce though. Especially with us shaking up the staff some 

Is the Bot's question actively coaching or of the remaining 4 ("still")? 

If it is of who is left, DVH probably. 

9 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

So who is considered the best Head Coach in college baseball that's still coaching now ??

I expected to see Tim Corbin and Schloss to be mentioned.   Tadlock is pretty good too... 

Expect that Jay Johnson would do well at Lsu at some point.

Just curious who the other good coaches are.  I guess next tier are the coaches at louisville, arky, and okie lite.  

8 minutes ago, Fletch said:

At this program, I'll take 'great'.

2 minutes ago, Fletch said:

Ask and you shall receive. We’ve been very good. I think we’re about to be 02-09 level great 

I hope you're right. What are the signs of that though? We're great on D, and we can mash right now, but pitching is obviously huge. Not trying to be argumentative. Just genuinely curious. 

1 minute ago, Valmy77 said:

Frank Anderson? I want him back.

this. he's a bit on the older side but we need a guy that absolutely knows what he is doing.

It sucks watching Skip potentially taking OU to the final series and, yes I realize he hasn't been a ball of fire as a head coach previously.

1 minute ago, wood said:

I hope you're right. What are the signs of that though? We're great on D, and we can mash right now, but pitching is obviously huge. Not trying to be argumentative. Just genuinely curious. 

Well people who seem to know what they are talking about keep saying we have great arms. Maybe our pitching isn't as far away as we think.

But we have a lot of position players to also replace. This offseason is really important.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, wood said:

Our biggest issue has been average to good pitching. We’ve been averaging roughly a 4.15 era under Pierce. From 02-2014 we were averaging about 2.60 team era every year. We’ve been good to great offensively Pierces entire tenure. Pair that up with the elite pitching we’re used to and we’re gonna make some 02-09 noise 

• Hook 'Em 2

23 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

Pat Casey would be the answer but he retired after 2018. We offered him our job and he turned us down. Dude is a legend.

But not still coaching.

Pat Casey is my favorite baseball coach ever.  In 2008, I took a sabbatical and worked full-time covering college baseball.  I got assigned to write the Pac-10 preview that year and one day I had Casey scheduled for a phone interview at 11am, and the U$C coach scheduled for 11:30am.  At about 11:20, I started trying wrap up the interview with Casey, but he would not stop talking.  He was even asking me questions.  The call waiting started buzzing at 11:30 and I could not get off the phone with him.  We literally just talked for over an hour about how awesome baseball, Omaha, and life are.  

It was like I was talking to just another rabid baseball fan instead of the head coach of one of the country's top programs.

Edited by Beau Vine
  • Hook 'Em 6

5 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

Well people who seem to know what they are talking about keep saying we have great arms. Maybe our pitching isn't as far away as we think.

But we have a lot of position players to also replace. This offseason is really important.

I actually think we’re gonna be just fine position player wise. Campbell, Kash, O’Dowd, Daly, Whitehead and hopefully kennedy is good nucleus’s to build around 

1 minute ago, Beau Vine said:

Pat Casey is my favorite baseball coach ever.  In 2008, I took a sabbatical and worked full-time covering college baseball.  I got assigned to write the Pac-10 preview that year and one day I had Casey scheduled for a phone interview at 11am, and the U$C coach scheduled for 11:30am.  At about 11:20, I started trying wrap up the interview with Casey, but he would not stop talking.  He was even asking me questions.  The call waiting started buzzing at 11:30 and I could not get off the phone with him.  We literally just talked for over an hour about how awesome baseball, Omaha, and life are.  

That’s fucking badass dude 

16 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

It was like I was talking to just another rabid baseball fan instead of the head coach of one of the country's top programs.

Actual CSB

28 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

How is Sandlin, who fucking sucks, looking so invincible? This is what I was hoping our shitty pitchers would do in the CWS. God damnit.

It just wasn’t our year. The second Witt went down we were fucked. Hopefully the baseball gods throw us a bone with the draft and lack of injuries next season 

3 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

well his coach used to regularly do that here...

When did a 5.80 ERA guys go pitch awesome for us in the CWS when he was here? It never happened. His pitchers were not especially better in the CWS than they were all season. They were just awesome all season. 

Just now, wood said:

IIRC a lot of people thought Frank would take over from Augie eventually. Am I remembering that right?

Surely not. He left to be the head coach of Oklahoma State after 2003.

The only guy who was talked about in that way was Skip. But considering how dreadful things had been going in 2016 I can see why that didn't happen. We needed a big change.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, wood said:

IIRC a lot of people thought Frank would take over from Augie eventually. Am I remembering that right?

You can probably guess who I'm talking about, but at the time, I worked with guy who had undergrad and law degrees from UT, and who was a very prominent college umpire.  He told me that Frank was way too big of an anti-social asshole to be the head man for UT.  

"You can't have a guy going to booster events and dropping F-bombs every other word."  

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Beau Vine said:

You can probably guess who I'm talking about, but at the time, I worked with guy who had undergrad and law degrees from UT, and who was a very prominent college umpire.  He told me that Frank was way too big of an anti-social asshole to be the head man for UT.  

"You can't have a guy going to booster events and dropping F-bombs every other word."  

LOL. So we get him back here as Pitching Coach then ...

4 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

When did a 5.80 ERA guys go pitch awesome for us in the CWS when he was here? It never happened. His pitchers were not especially better in the CWS than they were all season. They were just awesome all season. 

Hollingsworth is the only one I can think of but he was solid out of the bullpen all year in 2014 before developing a rubber arm.

God damn going back through the rosters we had in the Skip days. Jungmann, Ruffin, Workman, Wood, Dicharry, Milner, Peter’s, Curtiss, Thornhill, Knebal. No shit we kicked ass during that period. I think whoever our new pitching coach will be is gonna pump out arms like that. At least I hope. It’s been weird not having truly elite pitching since 2016. 2021 being the exception 

6 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

2 minutes ago, Fletch said:

Hollingsworth is the only one I can think of but he was solid out of the bullpen all year in 2014 before developing a rubber arm.

God damn going back through the rosters we had in the Skip days. Jungmann, Ruffin, Workman, Wood, Dicharry, Milner, Peter’s, Curtiss, Thornhill, Knebal. No shit we kicked ass during that period. I think whoever our new pitching coach will be is gonna pump out arms like that. At least I hope. It’s been weird not having truly elite pitching since 2016. 2021 being the exception 

Anderson's and Holliday's arms were just as good if not better. 

4 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

Surely not. He left to be the head coach of Oklahoma State after 2003.

The only guy who was talked about in that way was Skip. But considering how dreadful things had been going in 2016 I can see why that didn't happen. We needed a big change.

Man that 2016 season was over before it started. You could see the holes in the team from a mile away then cal came to town and just toyed with us over a 4 game set. That’s about all I remember from that year. The program was so fucking stale. I think Skip would’ve been fine in the long run but it would’ve been exactly like when Augie took over. Just 4-5 years of small, mediocre but gritty teams. So yeah. Glad we just nuked it and started over. This off-season is gonna be insane 

1 minute ago, Valmy77 said:

Anderson's and Holliday's arms were just as good if not better. 

Yep. Just unreal what Augie put together during his time here. Fuck if we had any sort of hitting development from 2011-2015, we probably would’ve won our 7th in that stretch. Or if fucking Josh Bell and Blake Swihart came to campus. Oh well. We’re definitely on the right track 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Fletch said:

Man that 2016 season was over before it started. You could see the holes in the team from a mile away then cal came to town and just toyed with us over a 4 game set. That’s about all I remember from that year. The program was so fucking stale. I think Skip would’ve been fine in the long run but it would’ve been exactly like when Augie took over. Just 4-5 years of small, mediocre but gritty teams. So yeah. Glad we just nuked it and started over. This off-season is gonna be insane 

I remember going to the alumni game that year and taking my kids around to get autographs and I asked the players if they were going to turn it around in 2016. They all kind of mumbled that they hoped to but it was obvious they all knew their team sucked before the season even started. Even Augie kind of acknowledged that.

I have never seen that before or since.