2022 College World Series Thread

Horny Bull

3 minutes ago, Horn80 said:

aggy goes 1-2 at CWS.  Whoop!

An aggy “friend” was telling me what a god schloss is. Ok. This is his 5th time in Omaha with no hardware. Congrats on beating a Texas team that overachieved to get there. Our entire identity was “come from behind and win” pretty much. That’s not a recipe for success. Can’t fucking wait for a real pitching coach 

1 minute ago, Valmy77 said:

I know its kind of like celebrating being the first loser but I sure wish we put our top 3 and runner ups on the stadium wall with our champs. It would be a little obnoxious but those teams were all great and were so freaking close to winning it all and it seems shitty they are mostly forgotten. But I guess we have to constantly drill into the players heads that here we care about winning the national championship nothing else is really considered a victory. To start celebrating 3rd place would perhaps weaken that commitment.

Still sometimes I wish they were up there, you know?

Maybe not celebrate but the amount of CWS appearances and wins are still important. 

As @closetojumpingsaid earlier in this thread about Pierce if you keep getting back to the CWS it's a good recipe for winning a national title. If you keep getting that far eventually you will break through. 

6 minutes ago, Carl Spackler said:

They equaled their all-time CWS win total going into this year's tourney.  Watch 'em put it on the wall.

How many aggys would rather have this result than winning the whole CWS without saying they eliminated Texas along the way? What they did on Sunday was their CWS championship. Whatever happened after that does not matter. They beat Texas and will forever bring that up. After being eliminated right now, they will revert back to bringing up that glorious day they they got to out Texas from the CWS. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Fletch said:

An aggy “friend” was telling me what a god schloss is. Ok. This is his 5th time in Omaha with no hardware. Congrats on beating a Texas team that overachieved to get there. Our entire identity was “come from behind and win” pretty much. That’s not a recipe for success. Can’t fucking wait for a real pitching coach 

Before Witt’s injury, Texas was very, very good team so, I’m not sure the pitching coach is to blame.

4 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

I know its kind of like celebrating being the first loser but I sure wish we put our top 3 and runner ups on the stadium wall with our champs. It would be a little obnoxious but those teams were all great and were so freaking close to winning it all and it seems shitty they are mostly forgotten. But I guess we have to constantly drill into the players heads that here we care about winning the national championship nothing else is really considered a victory. To start celebrating 3rd place would perhaps weaken that commitment.

Still sometimes I wish they were up there, you know?

Absolutely. Think there’s a list of all the records in the field house. And us Texas fans definitely remember. Maybe on the scoreboard or something list all the years we made it to Omaha 

6 minutes ago, Nope said:

So we should have hired Skip Johnson?

No. We were at true rock bottom in 2016. The players didn’t give a shit. Recruiting was dead. Fan interest was very low. And we played a very boring brand of baseball. He would’ve been fired by now if he took over in 2017. We needed a complete reboot. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Maybe not celebrate but the amount of CWS appearances and wins are still important. 

As @closetojumpingsaid earlier in this thread about Pierce if you keep getting back to the CWS it's a good recipe for winning a national title. If you keep getting that far eventually you will break through. 

Like Florida. But I want a couple more dog piles than they’ve had since 2010

3 minutes ago, SarksJuggs said:

What will go in the Hall of Champions from this run? A semi final cup? 

SEC West Champs, Regional Champs, Super Regional Champs, and 3rd place in the nation. That's certainly something. All more than football and Men's basketball have done in decades.

Edited by Valmy77

2 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

SEC West Champs, Regional Champs, Super Regional Champs, and 3rd place in the nation. That's certainly something. All more than football and Men's basketball have done in decades.

They actually celebrate being SEC West Champs? 

Celebrating 2nd place in their conference is certainly something. 

11 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

How many aggys would rather have this result than winning the whole CWS without saying they eliminated Texas along the way? What they did on Sunday was their CWS championship. Whatever happened after that does not matter. They beat Texas and will forever bring that up. After being eliminated right now, they will revert back to bringing up that glorious day they they got to out Texas from the CWS. 

Gata beat Texas the last two times we  met in Omaha.   In 2005 you beat us twice in the CWS Finals. 

The day I care about the former more than I do the latter, please shoot me. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Rickylovesweed said:

They actually celebrate being SEC West Champs? 

Celebrating 2nd place in their conference is certainly something. 

Not a day goes by that I’m not thankful for being big 12 runner ups in 2018. I wake up every morning and look at the pic of Tom coaching in that game

-me if I were aggy 

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

Yeah, they'll put that on the wall, too.

• Hook 'Em 1

20 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

Might?

They'll call themselves Pod Champions every year they manage to go 2-1 regardless of any other standing.  

Coming onto the field for the 2028 Dollar General Bowl is the SEC TexArOma Pod Champions, the fightin' Texas a&M Aggies. The Aggies finished 8th in the SEC and are looking for a win to finish the season at 7-6. The Aggies had a disappointing year yet again, but were bouyed by Pod wins over Oklahoma following the entire starting Sooner OL mysteriously developing food poisoning the night before the game in College Station; and a late season victory over a 2-10 Arkansas squad who struggled this season after losing their Head Coach, and the numerous staff that followed, to the NFL. The Aggies only Pod loss was to Texas, who will play in the College Football Quarterfinal Round in two weeks.

Please join us following the big bowl win as we place our Pod Championship Plaque on the stadium wall.  Refreshments and good bull to follow for all real Ags. (Must show proof of Aggieness)

Edited by Herpa Derpa
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, Horn80 said:

Before Witt’s injury, Texas was very, very good team so, I’m not sure the pitching coach is to blame.

Allen is not really a true pitching coach.  he's an overall assistant that transitioned to pitching coach recently.  my take. Pierce trusted him, because he'd been with him 10 years, and tried to do for Allen what he did when he went from hitting coach to pitching coach at Rice.  Pierce being a successful pitching coach probably thought he could help Allen when needed.

Pierce is finding out that doing that at Rice isn't the same as doing that at Texas.  He can't come in and save the day if the train falls off the tracks early.  He's got other shit to do as the HC at Texas.

Yes Witt's injury hurt our rotation but that doesn't explain the WTF of Nixon, Stevens and the general BP problems all year.

Pierce needs a pitching coach that is Texas caliber and can handle the staff from the word go, not a "hey you be pitching coach now and if there is some trouble I can help" coach.

Allen seems like a good guy, decent coach but he's not a Skip or Frank and that is what we need. Although Augie had a lot to do with getting those guys to that level.  Remains to be seen if Pierce has that touch but this is a good sign that he knew what he had wasn't good enough.

• Hook 'Em 5

26 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

Allen is not really a true pitching coach.  he's an overall assistant that transitioned to pitching coach recently.  my take. Pierce trusted him, because he'd been with him 10 years, and tried to do for Allen what he did when he went from hitting coach to pitching coach at Rice.  Pierce being a successful pitching coach probably thought he could help Allen when needed.

Pierce is finding out that doing that at Rice isn't the same as doing that at Texas.  He can't come in and save the day if the train falls off the tracks early.  He's got other shit to do as the HC at Texas.

Yes Witt's injury hurt our rotation but that doesn't explain the WTF of Nixon, Stevens and the general BP problems all year.

Pierce needs a pitching coach that is Texas caliber and can handle the staff from the word go, not a "hey you be pitching coach now and if there is some trouble I can help" coach.

Allen seems like a good guy, decent coach but he's not a Skip or Frank and that is what we need. Although Augie had a lot to do with getting those guys to that level.  Remains to be seen if Pierce has that touch but this is a good sign that he knew what he had wasn't good enough.

Agreed.  Apparently, to some degree, you can "move around" as a baseball assistant from hitting to defense to outfield, infield, recruiting. and combinations thereof.

But, at Texas at least, we have had "full time" pitching coaches.  They came in as pitching coaches and never did anything else.  And when they left, they were still pitching coaches, or head coaches.  Tom Holliday came in from being HC at OSU, but he had been a pitching coach there for 20 years.  I always found it amusing that the two programs swapped PCs and HCs.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

36 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

Perfectly said. Allen is perfect for Tulane, rice or cougar high. He did an ok job here but to put it in football terms, he’s Chris Ash but we need Will Muschamp 

I have watched the CWS since my family got cable TV when I was a teenager in the early 80s.  I've been to the CWS over 20 of those years.  

It just dawned on me how incredibly shitty it is this year:

In those 40+ years, I always rooted for the losers' bracket teams in the games at this point of the bracket -- the losers' bracket team winning means you have have a game to watch tomorrow.  So if you're rooting for the losers' bracket teams, you're really rooting for more baseball, and why wouldn't anyone want that?  

Well, this year, the losers' bracket teams are aggy and piggy, which has blown that whole ethos to hell.  Fuck you, aggy.  Fuck you, piggy. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Js1 said:

They’ll never shut up about finishing 2 games better than us in Omaha. t-3rd for them and t-8th for us 

image.gif.9bdce6499cb734e49d10ed1e99382d8b.gif

Just point out that in their greatest baseball season ever, they were still 4 wins away from a championship.

And remind them that the greatest football player in their history lost 6 games in 2 years.

And let them know that their #1 recruiting class, accomplished through cheating, will wind up being a monumental embarrassment for them when 2/3 of those kids transfer out once they learn how fucking weird College Station actually is.

Then point and laugh and walk away humming The Eyes.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

Just point out that in their greatest baseball season ever, they were still 4 wins away from a championship.

And remind them that the greatest football player in their history lost 6 games in 2 years.

And let them know that their #1 recruiting class, accomplished through cheating, will wind up being a monumental embarrassment for them when 2/3 of those kids transfer out once they learn how fucking weird College Station actually is.

Then point and laugh and walk away humming The Eyes.

Yeah, all of that. I find it much more concise to respond with “let me know when you’ve won a fucking thing besides a pre WWII football trophy. Now go get your shine box”.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, Wishbone said:

Yeah, all of that. I find it much more concise to respond with “let me know when you’ve won a fucking thing besides a pre WWII football trophy. Now go get your shine box”.

All you need to say is 1939. That gets them ragey. 

Need this to get to the 100 year anniversary and it’s getting close.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1