2022 College World Series Thread

Horny Bull

2 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Ole Miss feels like a team of destiny. 

They barely made a regional and their coach was on the hot seat. Also a coach that's known for underachieving in the postseason. Now they're 7-1 in the postseason and the only loss was a 1 run game. 

They have some magic working in their favor. 

You can say most of those things about OU. 

Just now, ztejas said:

You can say most of those things about OU. 

OU is on fire but it's a different feel. They should have been a top 16 seed and were playing as well as anyone to end the year. 

Ole Miss barely made a regional and now they're playing better than anyone. The best player for Ole Miss said if they made the CWS they were winning the national championship and I'm a believer. They have some serious mojo going right now. 

5 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

OU really needs to win game 1. 

Ole Miss probably won't start Elliott and definitely won't start DeLucia. Those guys have been lights out in the postseason. I see no chance OU beats both those guys in back to back games. 

Agreed.  OU will be lucky to win.  DeLucia is almost an auto W.  

Just now, ChiTownDoc said:

DeLucia is almost an auto W.  

He's not even their best starter. Elliott  has only given up more than 1 earned run in 1 of his last 6 starts. 

It's surprising Ole Miss wasn't better in the regular season because their recipe for success is easy to see. They have 2 very good starters and then Malitz has 1.24 ERA out of the pen. You can see why they aren't giving up many runs in the postseason. 

I’m rooting for Mike Bianco and Ole Miss. So congratulations to them on their first chance at a National Championship.

His first HC job was at McNeese State, while I lived in Lake Charles. He was a Skip Bertman former player, disciple/protégé and went to LC for the “grooming” of the possibility of taking over LSU. Well he was pretty successful at McNeese, Skip wasn’t ready to retire, and Ole Miss came offering.

He was the skipper when Texas beat OM at the memorable regional we advanced to Omaha. So outside of OU sux, I’m rooting for Ole Miss!

Hook’em!

• Hook 'Em 1

I'm rooting for Ole Miss because of OU but it would be nice to Bianco win after all the hate he's received for being a terrible coach in the postseason. 

Ole Miss was ranked 5th in the preseason and earlier this year they were ranked #1. Then the normal Bianco collapse happened. It would be  cool to see Bianco  flip the script when nobody saw it coming. 

40 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

He's not even their best starter. Elliott  has only given up more than 1 earned run in 1 of his last 6 starts. 

It's surprising Ole Miss wasn't better in the regular season because their recipe for success is easy to see. They have 2 very good starters and then Malitz has 1.24 ERA out of the pen. You can see why they aren't giving up many runs in the postseason. 

I'm aware of their records but seeing DeLucia pitch the last couple games, I'd call him their number 1.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, ChiTownDoc said:

I'm aware of their records but seeing DeLucia pitch the last couple games, I'd call him their number 1.  

DeLucia is definitely their number 1 mainly because Elliott is a freshman but from watching Elliott I would not want to face him either. He was a freshman All-American and I haven't seen many that have better stuff. 

It's mind-boggling how Ole Miss barely made a regional because they were a top 5 preseason team for good reason. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Two teams that made the finals have pitched better than the other 6 teams...

That new Omaha baseball park rewards better pitching.

To an annoying fucking extent. Rosenblatt was so fucking perfect for college ball. And playing at the Disch prepared us perfectly for Rosenblatt. And it also prepares us perfectly for this corporate shithole. Watching hangers just be loud outs isn’t fucking baseball. Really wish they’d bring the fences in. Park just plays way too big. Not to mention how fucking perfect Rosenblatt was

Edited by Fletch
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Been pulling for ole miss. We detailed a hell of a team of theirs in 2005 and have beaten them in the cws final too I believe in 75?  

Yep if I recall correctly, the Ole Miss 2005 team really got fucked because the NCAA did not let Texas host that year (like they should have) and sent Texas to Ole Miss regional and they had a very good team that would have made it to CWS but for Texas being there.  I think the NCAA was trying to fuck Texas and it backfired.

43 minutes ago, Fletch said:

To an annoying fucking extent. Rosenblatt was so fucking perfect for college ball. And playing at the Disch prepared us perfectly for Rosenblatt. And it also prepares us perfectly for this corporate shithole. Watching hangers just be loud outs isn’t fucking baseball. Really wish they’d bring the fences in. Park just plays way too big. Not to mention how fucking perfect Rosenblatt was

You should cry more about why you suck.  Just sayin...

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

You should cry more about why you suck.  Just sayin...

God damn you haha Is this how it’s going to be from here on out?
This has been a problem since that fucking park opened. The first few years with the bbcor bats were beyond brutal. It’s gotten a little bit better the last few years. Still way too many balls just dying like 10 feet in front of the warning track when you think it’s gone

and excuse me, but is tied for 7th sucking!?!?!?/aggy

Edited by Fletch

7 hours ago, Horn80 said:

Yep if I recall correctly, the Ole Miss 2005 team really got fucked because the NCAA did not let Texas host that year (like they should have) and sent Texas to Ole Miss regional and they had a very good team that would have made it to CWS but for Texas being there.  I think the NCAA was trying to fuck Texas and it backfired.

What year did they change the final to 1 game for tv? That was awesome 

15 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Two teams that made the finals have pitched better than the other 6 teams...

That new Omaha baseball park rewards better pitching.

Yup.  

Pitching, defense, and consistent line drive hitting.  The way that wind is situated we need to start thinking a lot less about building teams around home run hitters and a lot more about, dare I say it, Augie Ball.

Pitching has to be the #1 priority for Texas.  We need to be rolling into Omaha top 5 in the nation in that category every time we're there.  Get to that level or die trying.

14 hours ago, Rickylovesweed said:

DeLucia is definitely their number 1 mainly because Elliott is a freshman but from watching Elliott I would not want to face him either. He was a freshman All-American and I haven't seen many that have better stuff. 

It's mind-boggling how Ole Miss barely made a regional because they were a top 5 preseason team for good reason. 

If you had watched the games they played that I did earlier in the season your mind would be sufficiently un-boggled.  

They were Keystone Cops bad.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Cajun said:

If you had watched the games they played that I did earlier in the season your mind would be sufficiently un-boggled.  

They were Keystone Cops bad.

Definitely.

Ole Miss had a meltdown midseason for whatever reason. They also started 13-1 and were ranked #1 in the country early in the year. 

Some teams you look at and say they weren't deserving of a top 5 preseason ranking. With this Ole Miss team, I don't think it applies. They are a legitimate top 5 team that underachieved in the regular season for whatever reason. The only shocking development is that Ole Miss is peaking at the right time because the opposite has been true with Bianco.  

1 hour ago, Cajun said:

We need to be rolling into Omaha top 5 in the nation in that category every time we're there.  

I've come to the conclusion that team ERA is irrelevant in college baseball in the context of winning in the postseason. Ole Miss is only 40th in team ERA and they've been lights out for a month. 

Pitching depth is overrated. It comes down to your top 3 to 5 pitchers from the regionals all the way through the CWS. 

Being top 5 in stats like team ERA and WHIP are irrelevant. What matters is whether your top end pitchers are better than everyone else's top end pitchers. But I guess that's still inclusive of "top 5 in the nation" if your decision calculus is based on such. 

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

I've come to the conclusion that team ERA is irrelevant in college baseball in the context of winning in the postseason. Ole Miss is only 40th in team ERA and they've been lights out for a month. 

Pitching depth is overrated. It comes down to your top 3 to 5 pitchers from the regionals all the way through the CWS. 

Being top 5 in stats like team ERA and WHIP are irrelevant. What matters is whether your top end pitchers are better than everyone else's top end pitchers. But I guess that's still inclusive of "top 5 in the nation" if your decision calculus is based on such. 

Correct.  Team pitching stats can be skewed by bottom end guys who will not pitch in Omaha and by early season blow-ups that have long since vanished.

• Hook 'Em 1

31 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

What matters is whether your top end pitchers are better than everyone else's top end pitchers. But I guess that's still inclusive of "top 5 in the nation" if your decision calculus is based on such. 

This.

I wasn't talking about team ERA.  I meant that we need to be rolling in there top 5 in the nation pitching prospect-wise.  We need DUDES, at least 3 or 4, who can just flat out say, "See this pitch?  Try to hit it!" and then back that shit up.  When I looked around at this yr's crop of teams in the CWS, those dudes weren't wearing Burnt Orange.  We need to rolling into Omaha with pundits and announcers all conceding that Texas has the best starting pitchers and relievers in the country with zero debate.

As it was yr in and yr out in the salad days.

Edited by Cajun
  • Hook 'Em 3

2 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

Huh. For some reason I thought we took a few days off and the title series was Mon-Tues-Wed. That is kind of a crazy short turnaround.

It has been Mon-Wed most recently.  This year they started a day early (on Friday rather than Sat) and also squeezed a day out in order to get to Sat-Mon.  As mentioned above, no rain helped out.  Usually that will factor in a least a day's worth of delay.