2022 College World Series Thread

Horny Bull

1 hour ago, cochamps said:

It has been Mon-Wed most recently.  This year they started a day early (on Friday rather than Sat) and also squeezed a day out in order to get to Sat-Mon.  As mentioned above, no rain helped out.  Usually that will factor in a least a day's worth of delay.

Yeah, they shortened bracket really only hurt the teams in bracket 2.  Bracket 1 had basically the same schedule as always. In bracket 2, Arkansas & Auburn did not get a day of rest after losing and winning on Monday, whereas TAM and ND had day of rest after winning and losing on Sunday.  All four then played on Tuesday, rather than separate days.  Arkansas ended up playing four days in a row Mon-Thurs (not the cause of losing on Thursday as pitching was great).

But, at this point, it's no different than years past.  For example, Texas won on Friday last year and forced MSU to play on Saturday, and the championship series began on Monday.  MSU had to use Will Bednar to beat Texas that Saturday, then he wasn't able to pitch again until Wednesday on 3 days rest.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Valmy77 said:

Huh. For some reason I thought we took a few days off and the title series was Mon-Tues-Wed. That is kind of a crazy short turnaround.

Prior to the brackets were set, I heard something on the radio about a new format to get more exposure and viewership....

Doesn't work well for the teams or pitching matchups though (no way that Ole Miss guy from Thursday pitches again, which I think is BS) 

Changing for television viewership is what (helped) cost us the '89 championship....no way Wichita St beats us twice.

Edited by BillyGoatHill

3 minutes ago, BillyGoatHill said:

Prior to the brackets were set, I heard something on the radio about a new format to get more exposure and viewership....

Doesn't work well for the teams or pitching matchups though (no way that Ole Miss guy from Thursday pitches again, which I think is BS) 

Changing for television viewership is what (helped) cost us the '89 championship....no way Wichita St beats us twice.

Delucia will definitely pitch again. 

3 days rest and he will pitch on Monday. 

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Delucia will definitely pitch again. 

3 days rest and he will pitch on Monday. 

I'd love to see him pitch against blowU and stymie them the way he did piggy.

Though 3 days rest (following a complete game) for a college pitcher is ripe for blowing a kid's arm.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, BillyGoatHill said:

I'd love to see him pitch against blowU and stymie them the way he did piggy.

Though 3 days rest (following a complete game) for a college pitcher is ripe for blowing a kid's arm.

It is but that's what you have to do to win a championship. 

Bednar started 3 games in 10 days last year at the College World Series and no way Mississippi State would have won it without him doing that. 

30 minutes ago, BillyGoatHill said:

Again, the days of the week changed, but not the days rest.  In years past, teams either had one or two days off before the championship series began (depending on whether you lost a game or were unblemished).  Same as this year.

15 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

It is but that's what you have to do to win a championship. 

Bednar started 3 games in 10 days last year at the College World Series and no way Mississippi State would have won it without him doing that. 

Yeah.  Its happened many times (having to throw a guy on 3 days rest in the final game of the season).  Had Texas beat MSU a second time last year, Stevens would've absolutely pitched again in the championship series had it gone 3 games.

2 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

You guys realize Ole Miss is favored right?  You’d think OU already won reading these posts.  Very small chance of that imo.  Great year though.  

Ole Miss might be slightly favored but there is a very good chance OU wins and OU has never lost a CWS final. We are emotionally preparing ourselves.

Guess I'll have to be all in on Ole Miss.  OU winning would be turrible.  If they get a 3rd natty they'd be the 10th team to do so and tied for 8th in most CWS titles.  So those barefoot inbred methheads could start yapping about having become a blue blood.  I've never even considered that they would ever come close to being a blue blood, but I guess by the numbers a 3rd title would give them a sliver of an argument.  Screw that.  Go Ole Miss for the next 2 or 3 days.

Anyone got the dicks .gif (which one) from that awful song? The one with stoops having his arm around dick butt and dick triceratops down on the field. 

Edited by Fico
And the original video, sending to ole miss co-worker

6 hours ago, ChiTownDoc said:

You guys realize Ole Miss is favored right?  You’d think OU already won reading these posts.  Very small chance of that imo.  Great year though.  

Texas was favored by most odds makers going into Omaha.  While this looks to be a fairly even match to be, I like OU's pitching.  And Skip will know how to manage it.  The other difference to me is OU's speed.  I have to favor OU even though I'm rooting for the Rebs.

6 hours ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Oh no you don’t! Nice try, asshole. Reverse jinking this shit…..

(how did y’all pull this off? This was my biggest fear when Skip took over. I’m happy for Skip and you. And I guess Van Hook. Y’all are ok even if y’all sold your souls to evil and scum)

• Haha 2

59 minutes ago, Scooter Monzingo said:

ou looks younger, and smaller. Skip’s no facial hair policy really exaggerates the difference.

I would guess Skip got a lot of his management style from Augie.  And god damn it’s refreshing not to see a bunch of dumbass mustaches and bullshit like bananas, Pringle cans etc.  Just go about your business try to win one game at a time.  

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, ChiTownDoc said:

I would guess Skip got a lot of his management style from Augie.  And god damn it’s refreshing not to see a bunch of dumbass mustaches and bullshit like bananas, Pringle cans etc.  Just go about your business try to win one game at a time.  

Well aren't you joyless.

Just now, DalTxHornFan said:

Tough call.  Blow U sucks and I hate the SEC! SEC! SEC! thing.  I do think that Ole Miss has better pitching, which is a big deal in Omaha.  Should be a good championship series.

We'll be welcoming you to the Dark Side soon enough.

I think Ole Miss will take it, and I wouldn't be surprised if these games are high scoring.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

But this one feels like a must win. 

I wonder if that was part of the pressure in the first inning. OU knows what's coming in the next 2 games with Elliott and DeLucia. 

They have to know this is one they really need to win. 

Edited by Rickylovesweed
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Rickylovesweed said:

I wonder if that was part of the pressure in the first inning. OU knows what's coming in the next 2 games with Elliott and DeLucia. 

They have to know this is one they really need to win. 

I've never been in a situation like being the starting pitcher of Game 1 of the CWS, but I have a difficult time imagining how the pressure could get any more intense than it already is.

Just now, Augustus said:

I've never been in a situation like being the starting pitcher of Game 1 of the CWS, but I have a difficult time imagining how the pressure could get any more intense than it already is.

Definitely but I knew there would be a lot of pressure on OU in this one with Elliott and DeLucia coming in the next 2 games. 

This just feels like one OU really has to win and everyone knows it. Including the OU players. 

Just now, Rickylovesweed said:

Definitely but I knew there would be a lot of pressure on OU in this one with Elliott and DeLucia coming in the next 2 games. 

This just feels like one OU really has to win and everyone knows it. Including the OU players. 

Fair point