2022 College World Series Thread

Horny Bull

2 hours ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Baseball is the one sport where this can happen because it only takes a couple pitchers to get really hot. 

That's exactly what happened with Ole Miss. DeLucia and Elliott were auto wins. 

Very true but also kind of funny because one of the things I like about baseball is every player gets an at bat, so every position player gets to be the star of the game for a bit. That was especially something I like about playing it.

But for all that business about every player mattering it often does just come down to the dude on the mound.  Two or three great pitchers and you can just dominate everybody, see 2013 UCLA and this Ole Miss team.

So both the fact that everybody matters but also one guy can win you the game practically all by himself are both true. Baseball is crazy with those kind of contradictory elements.

Edited by Valmy77
  • Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, troph said:

My heart is happy again. @Valmy77 I can cope again. Wait, we gotta wait for 8 months. 😞

I know. February 2023 seems a long fucking way off. I have to sustain myself with MLB for a few months, that usually takes a bit for me to get used to.

But we won't have to spend it hearing about the National Champion Oklahoma Sooners so that's nice.

Edited by Valmy77

40 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

I know. February 2023 seems a long fucking way off. I have to sustain myself with MLB for a few months, that usually takes a bit for me to get used to.

But we won't have to spend it hearing about the National Champion Oklahoma Sooners so that's nice.

The Orioles are only 19.5 back!

3 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Hell yes.  Never been much of a baseball fan but I’ll be in this forum taking my lumps next year.  Actually a lot more knowledgeable fans around these parts compared to the football forum, not that that’s saying much.  

Call more homerun plays coach!

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, Valmy77 said:

Two or three great pitchers and you can just dominate everybody, see 2013 UCLA and this Ole Miss team.

Yup. They won because 3 pitchers dominated in DeLucia, Elliott, and Mallitz. Some other guys did some nice things in the lineup and out of the bullpen but those 3 could have won a national title for about 20 other teams the way they were pitching.

This is again why pitching depth is overrated. Give me 2 or 3 dominant pitchers over a team that has depth this time of the year. 

On 6/23/2022 at 5:47 PM, Rickylovesweed said:

OU really needs to win game 1. 

Ole Miss probably won't start Elliott and definitely won't start DeLucia. Those guys have been lights out in the postseason. I see no chance OU beats both those guys in back to back games. 

This is two times in a row the team who had to play an extra game on their side of the bracket won the final series. 

I know Vanderbilt won game 1 last year but there is a lot of pressure on the teams who had an easier path to win game 1 because the other team has to start their 3rd starter or do what Ole Miss did with their bullpen. 

OU definitely felt pressure in game 1 because they knew they had to win that with their ace going against a bullpen game for Ole Miss. 

So what's the rule on interference that everyone is bitching about? Looks like he's just running straight up the line. Is he supposed to run to the right of the foul line? Is that true on every play? What's to stop a fielder who knows he's late from just plunking the runner and claiming interference?

Just now, 'stache said:

So what's the rule on interference that everyone is bitching about? Looks like he's just running straight up the line. Is he supposed to run to the right of the foul line? Is that true on every play? What's to stop a fielder who knows he's late from just plunking the runner and claiming interference?

I think it's a good rule. The pitcher had no option on that particular play because of how far the OU runner was inside the line. 

The Texas softball team was called twice on the same rule at the College World Series so they are being consistent with that rule. 

2 minutes ago, 'stache said:

He veered to the left and crossed into the field right when the ball was thrown.  It was the right call, except it looked to me like the runner had already scored before the actual interference. 

6 minutes ago, 'stache said:

It's a stupid rule without the safety bag because you are required to veer towards the line to touch the bag.  Especially on a bunt, you're just running as fast as you can to get there.  

The NFHS Runner's Lane Rule: Umpire's Guide - Baseball Rules Academy

Edited by Js1

3 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

He veered to the left and crossed into the field right when the ball was thrown.  It was the right call, except it looked to me like the runner had already scored before the actual interference. 

It’s a dead ball rule.  The batter/runner is out and base runners revert to where they were before the play occurred.  

5 minutes ago, Js1 said:

It's a stupid rule without the safety bag because you are required to veer towards the line to touch the bag.  Especially on a bunt, you're just running as fast as you can to get there.  

The NFHS Runner's Lane Rule: Umpire's Guide - Baseball Rules Academy

Ah, okay, this image makes sense. Intentional or not, I get the rule and why it was called as such on replay. Not sure I understand your comment, you don't need to take that angle to touch the bag on a run-through.

Edited by 'stache

8 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

I think it's a good rule. The pitcher had no option on that particular play because of how far the OU runner was inside the line. 

The Texas softball team was called twice on the same rule at the College World Series so they are being consistent with that rule. 

yep. it's been a rule forever but as with most rules players/teams flirt with the edges.  replay has taken away those edges.

It was a really bad throw by the pitcher and from the replay I think it still would have hit the runner if he had been in the lane but the rule is the rule.  Peterson was complaining about it but as usual he is being an idiot.  another reason they have that rule is to also keep the runner to the outside of the bag and the 1B on the inside to prevent them from stepping on each other.

5 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Ah, okay, this image makes sense. Intentional or not, I get the rule and why it was called as such on replay. Not sure I understand your comment, you don't need to take that angle to touch the bag on a run-through.

There's def talk about how if you expect a runner to run inside that lane, the 1st base bag should extend into the lane so you never have to worry about contacting the fielder or impeding his receiving lane.  Player safety issue to avoid first base collisions

I think MLB has discussed moving towards using them in the near future

Manfred: Talks of MLB Using A Safety Bag At First Base In Near Future. –  ThatMetsChick

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Js1 said:

There's def talk about how if you expect a runner to run inside that lane, the 1st base bag should extend into the lane so you never have to worry about contacting the fielder or impeding his receiving lane.  Player safety issue to avoid first base collisions

Manfred: Talks of MLB Using A Safety Bag At First Base In Near Future. –  ThatMetsChick

In the photo you posted he's entirely in the green. If he's straddling the line I don't see how it would make it any harder for him to get his foot on first on the run-through.

11 minutes ago, 'stache said:

In the photo you posted he's entirely in the green. If he's straddling the line I don't see how it would make it any harder for him to get his foot on first on the run-through.

You may realize this, but the photo you quoted is not from yesterday's game. 

Yesterday's was much less egregious.  Still the right call by the book, but when the runners lane doesn't take you straight to the base, its worth looking into remedies going forward.

Edited by Don Johnson

Well damn, that is much closer. It does seem like he leans left right as he sees the first baseman prepare for a catch. Only problem I see is incentive for the pitcher who knows he's late to throw it at the runner and hope he gets an interference call.

Edited by 'stache

1 hour ago, Don Johnson said:

You may realize this, but the photo you quoted is not from yesterday's game. 

Yesterday's was much less egregious.  Still the right call by the book, but when the runners lane doesn't take you straight to the base, its worth looking into remedies going forward.

Safety bag or do away with the rule 

Without having consulted the rule book, is there any similar rule for where the runner has to be for any other baserunning anywhere else on the field?

I believe the rule otherwise is the runner establishes the baseline and then must stay on it within reason, and there’s rules about fielders interference and runners interference. 

for example, runner on second. He takes his lead, usually a step or two in back of 2nd to get a better angle to third. Ball hit  to SS. SS tries to get the out at third, ball hits runner. 
as long as he is running in the baseline he created, he is safe even though the angle he took moved him into the throw a little bit.  It’s the fielder’s job to avoid the runner. Right?  There’s no designated running area. 

1 hour ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Without having consulted the rule book, is there any similar rule for where the runner has to be for any other baserunning anywhere else on the field?

I believe the rule otherwise is the runner establishes the baseline and then must stay on it within reason, and there’s rules about fielders interference and runners interference. 

for example, runner on second. He takes his lead, usually a step or two in back of 2nd to get a better angle to third. Ball hit  to SS. SS tries to get the out at third, ball hits runner. 
as long as he is running in the baseline he created, he is safe even though the angle he took moved him into the throw a little bit.  It’s the fielder’s job to avoid the runner. Right?  There’s no designated running area. 

In most cases, a thrown ball hitting a runner is not interference unless the runner intentionally touches the ball or alters/deflects the course of the ball.  It's more likely to be reviewed to see "Did the base runner impede the defensive player's ability to field the ball," leading to a bad throw, but in your scenario, it's hard to see how the runner going to 3rd interfered with the defender throwing to third in a way that would be interference.  More likely would be interference if he fielded it and threw to first, but the throw was wild because he was interfered with. 

There is a base path, a straight line between bases, but I believe that rule is only for attempting tags, not plays at the base. 

2 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

it is the runners job to avoid the fielder on a batted ball, on a thrown ball the runner just needs to stay in his established baseline but he can not "hinder" the fielder trying to catch a thrown ball.

1B is a bit different because the runner is allowed to run past the base to foul ground and not be tagged out.

the Sooner was just trying to skirt the rules(imagine that) and replay caught him.