"the bear" - new series on fx

henrygandorf

12 minutes ago, MissingInAction said:

Food service is an absolute ass kicking no matter what your position. 

I waited tables for two years, hosted for one, and managed for 6 months before I lost my shit and quit.

Anyone who calls it a skilless profession is a dumb cunt.

I was at uchi with my nurse girlfriend a few weeks ago and we were talking about the waitstaff and how much they made, and that some of them probably made more than she did as a nurse.  and she chimed in “yeah and it’s mindless work.”  and then I corrected her. 

2 hours ago, futureman said:

I was at uchi with my nurse girlfriend a few weeks ago and we were talking about the waitstaff and how much they made, and that some of them probably made more than she did as a nurse.  and she chimed in “yeah and it’s mindless work.”  and then I corrected her. 

the word is "thankless".

I was Manager / Expediter at a very popular Mexican restaurant. What happens in the kitchen stays in the kitchen. We'll drink it out after we close.

I love this show. It just gets better every episode. The food pron is outstanding.

Edited by RPM
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

If you’ve worked in any kind of food service you’ve had experiences like this show. We started and finished it last night; I think it’s done a great job portraying the madness and chaos of that life.

If you’ve never had a real Italian beef sandwich like they’re making it’s a fantastic sandwich. Like most things it’s been Sysco’s and Dickiefied into premade beef and powdered gravy. That short rib of Sydney’s looked great, as did those doughnuts and the chicken piccata.

The last episode laid out a lot for S2. Has it been renewed?

If you have a kid that wants to go to culinary school make sure they actually work in a variety of restaurants prior to taking on a mass of debt. Have them watch this. For every Bobby Flay are thousands making dick slogging it out every night.

• Like 1

I watched 2 episodes and passed. My wife says it has gotten better so I may have to finish this at some point.

I was interested because I loved the whole Chicago “feel” of shameless and Lip was so good in that…

I just couldn’t get interested once I actually started watching.

58 minutes ago, Speedtrucker said:

I watched 2 episodes and passed. My wife says it has gotten better so I may have to finish this at some point.

I was interested because I loved the whole Chicago “feel” of shameless and Lip was so good in that…

I just couldn’t get interested once I actually started watching.

It's hard to overcome not liking the first two eps for any show.  I think for the most part if you can get to "it's ok" then you see it out or sometimes come back to it if there's nothing else to watch.

I was that way about Schitts Creek and to a lesser extent What We Do In The Shadows.  Looking back on it now I don't know why because they're 2 of my favorite shows of the last 10 years.

19 minutes ago, Post Oak said:

It's hard to overcome not liking the first two eps for any show.  I think for the most part if you can get to "it's ok" then you see it out or sometimes come back to it if there's nothing else to watch.

i try to avoid convincing people to watch a show that they've already stated some form of distaste for.  ain't nobody got time for that.

Yeah it wasn’t that I disliked it as much as I just wasn’t hooked. My wife was and I just told her that she can watch it at her own speed… which means she’ll watch episodes during the day while I’m working.

I’ve got a lot of Chicago friends and colleagues and have spent a lot of time there and I think the show absolutely captures Chicago vibes. If you don’t know their thing about Italian beef it’s more polarizing than their views of hot dogs or even pizza. The first two episodes use this as a source of conflict over all the changes in this little restaurant. The crew resists the new recipe until they actually eat it and knocks their socks off, which gives Carmy authority.

I like mine combo, wet, sweet, on garlic bread. That’s beef and Italian sausage, roll dipped in gravy, sweet peppers, on garlic bread.
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Texzilla58 said:

I’ve got a lot of Chicago friends and colleagues and have spent a lot of time there and I think the show absolutely captures Chicago vibes. If you don’t know their thing about Italian beef it’s more polarizing than their views of hot dogs or even pizza. The first two episodes use this as a source of conflict over all the changes in this little restaurant. The crew resists the new recipe until they actually eat it and knocks their socks off, which gives Carmy authority.

I like mine combo, wet, sweet, on garlic bread. That’s beef and Italian sausage, roll dipped in gravy, sweet peppers, on garlic bread.

Any decent spots in Texas? 

The only place I've heard about is

http://www.wiseguyschicago.com/index.html

in Round Rock. I'll go tomorrow and file a report.

I spent the first 6 years of my life in Chicago and Texzilla is 100% on point when he says they have the correct Chicago vibe. So many details they get right about the town and the people.  

Absolutely loved the show, first show I can remember that nails the frantic pace of being in a kitchen. Brought back memories of my teenage years working at various restaurants. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

what did he make with all that pork tho? 
Also Radiohead's Let Down was the perfect vibe to end the season. 

I would imagine he made Italian pork sandwiches with similar braise and jus. It works. It’s similar to a Philly Italian roast pork sandwich which is far superior to a cheesesteak. Italian seasoned roast pork, broccoli rabe with garlic, provolone, and long hot peppers on a long roll. If you’re ever in a Philly try one.
  • Hook 'Em 4

Since I worked in the loop, Al’s was the closest and that was my go to. All the other hot spots were too far away since I didn’t have a car while I was up there

The simple beef sandwich with giardiniera was basically what I got for the 3 years I was in Chicago.

On 6/29/2022 at 11:42 AM, henrygandorf said:

there were a bunch of really long shots, either stationary or moving through the kitchen at a frenetic pace.  impressive acting and directing pretty much all around.

another that stuck out (besides the one you mentioned) is when they're out back taking a smoke break.  it had to be 3-4 minutes.  and i think the whole scene that ended with richie getting stabbed in the ass was a long continuous shot through the kitchen to the register.

They probably made it look easy because every waitress in LA and NYC are aspiring actors and actresses 

Since I worked in the loop, Al’s was the closest and that was my go to. All the other hot spots were too far away since I didn’t have a car while I was up there

The simple beef sandwich with giardiniera was basically what I got for the 3 years I was in Chicago.

To what extent did you dip your hot?

I don't understand what Mikey was doing borrowing money from Cicero only to turn around and stick it in tomato sauce cans? I mean, I know his restaurant was maybe breaking even but if he had the money that he borrowed, why not just pay that back? That means his act of suicide wasn't just a spur of the moment thought that he followed to a fatal conclusion but a long thought-out plan. He wanted the money to go to Carmy to start his own place. To live their shared dream and he was contributing to it the only way he felt he could after getting beat down by life. 

I really hope they explain more about Mikey because he doesn't make a lot of sense so far. 

12 minutes ago, burntorangebongos said:

I don't understand what Mikey was doing borrowing money from Cicero only to turn around and stick it in tomato sauce cans? I mean, I know his restaurant was maybe breaking even but if he had the money that he borrowed, why not just pay that back? That means his act of suicide wasn't just a spur of the moment thought that he followed to a fatal conclusion but a long thought-out plan. He wanted the money to go to Carmy to start his own place. To live their shared dream and he was contributing to it the only way he felt he could after getting beat down by life. 

I really hope they explain more about Mikey because he doesn't make a lot of sense so far. 

I think Mikey was shaking down Cicero. Mikey knew he’d give him the money with no vig because of their close familial ties. Obviously Cicero isn’t going to going to give him $300k all at once, so Mikey had to act like he needed bridge loans to keep The Beef running. 

Obviously, the recipe was a clue to where find the money. 

Cicero’s response will be interesting. He’s going to have to respond or he’s a chump. I wonder if he becomes the primary antagonist next season.

Does anybody who the white gang bangers were? Given that show is set on the South Side, Almighty Gaylords would be my guess. 

They make Mikey out to be so charismatic and witty and fun. Why couldn't he see that he should share the dream with Carmy but be front of house? Let his talented brilliant brother loose in the kitchen and reign as the man up front, liaison to the customers and biz manager? I just find it so devastating that he planned it like he did. It would feel like blood money to me. I'd be so pissed if I were Carmy. 

22 minutes ago, burntorangebongos said:

They make Mikey out to be so charismatic and witty and fun. Why couldn't he see that he should share the dream with Carmy but be front of house? Let his talented brilliant brother loose in the kitchen and reign as the man up front, liaison to the customers and biz manager? I just find it so devastating that he planned it like he did. It would feel like blood money to me. I'd be so pissed if I were Carmy. 

he was an addict, you nitwit. 

I think Mikey was shaking down Cicero. Mikey knew he’d give him the money with no vig because of their close familial ties. Obviously Cicero isn’t going to going to give him $300k all at once, so Mikey had to act like he needed bridge loans to keep The Beef running. 

Obviously, the recipe was a clue to where find the money. 
Cicero’s response will be interesting. He’s going to have to respond or he’s a chump. I wonder if he becomes the primary antagonist next season.
Does anybody who the white gang bangers were? Given that show is set on the South Side, Almighty Gaylords would be my guess. 

We are assuming Mikey put only $300 k in the cans. Which he borrowed from Cicero. How does that money not go back to Cicero instead of into a remodel/ relaunch? Or did Mikey put away even more cash if he was dealing? (How does one reseal a tomato can?)
I think you’re right is that carmy puts the money into the refurb and the conflict is with Cicero o er the money and Richie over the change

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5 minutes ago, burntorangebongos said:

Lucas Till Riley GIF by CBS

There is more to the man than his vice and I hope they flesh it out next season.

you’re asking stupid questions.  “why isn’t this suicidal addict making rational decisions?  hmmmm.”  you sound like an idiot. 

57 minutes ago, DoneWithit said:

It looked interesting and from what y’all are saying I’m going to check it out.  I like Matty Matheson as chef, how much of the show is he in?  

he’s always lurking but never prominent.  and he’s not a chef in the show.  doesn’t cook. 

3 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Just started this tonight based on this thread. 1.5 episodes in and I’m about to start chain smoking from the stress. 

Welcome to working in the kitchen.

• Like 2