"the bear" - new series on fx

henrygandorf

7 minutes ago, rage-a-holic said:

I think they alluded to the fact that she is near/full spectrum autistic. She's a terrible, unreliable bitch but has reasons. 

When did they allude to that? I didn’t catch it, just thought she was a total bitch. I know Carmy lost his cool and yelled when she fucked up his whole world with the to-go orders, but to have the fucking audacity to call him a piece of shit was crazy. Up until that point he had gone out of his way to be a really decent boss to everyone, and especially her. 

• Hook 'Em 1

30 minutes ago, Frank The Tank said:

When did they allude to that? I didn’t catch it, just thought she was a total bitch. I know Carmy lost his cool and yelled when she fucked up his whole world with the to-go orders, but to have the fucking audacity to call him a piece of shit was crazy. Up until that point he had gone out of his way to be a really decent boss to everyone, and especially her. 

The scene in Episode 5 where she has a mountain of prescription drugs she takes

image.thumb.png.370677de4e1c38a12efe38d7e6f9fa13.png

• Hook 'Em 2

10 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Yeah we were really in the weeds that day weren’t we

Waiting fucking tables, specifically being in the weeds, is the only job I've ever had specific nightmares about.

I can't imagine this wasn't posted already but I saw someone ask

• Hook 'Em 2

The to-go order scene was amazing.
I felt i was fucked too.. Like i was apart of the show... " what we gonna do chefs?? we are drowning" 
that was a hoe ass move on the quitting part tho
after typing the thoughts above..
i googled this link,  and i guess im not alone.
https://decider.com/2022/07/13/the-bear-episode-7-anxiety-uncut-gems/

I worked in fast food, short order, and mid tier kitchens in high school and college. Worked in McDonalds at 16 and they had some anniversary days selling 10 cent hamburgers; it was just like the to-go morning except we were somewhat prepared. Hours on end of 120 burgers going all day was exhausting but a rush when we survived. A Mexican fast food joint offered free food as a promo to get some PR. It was absolutely nuts and we weren’t prepared. I was ready to die most of that weekend.

I wasn't in the food service bit, but working in theaters during high school was like this when we ran midnight movies.  Even in a small town, you run The Wall at midnight for a 300 seat theater pre-internet, you're going to have a rough go.  No credit cards taken and I was the only one selling tickets.  By the time the movie started, the booth was a foot deep in bills I just threw on the floor because the drawer wouldn't hold them all.  I cleaned it up and counted, and walked into the lobby to see the concessions people laying on the floor trying to catch their breath, half covered in oil and popcorn.

• Hook 'Em 2

I also don’t get the Sydney hate. These are very human characters written with hood and bad qualities to their personalities. Each has shown something that engenders a strong dislike. That’s life and that’s business where you have to craft a team that melds. The show is revealing various layers of each as we progress; Sydney has talent and and knows restaurant operations. She’s also a bundle of anxiety.

I believe S2 will have tons of conflict caused by change and resistance. Richie and Sydney as the pulls of Beef legacy and The Bear changes will be explosive.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

On 7/19/2022 at 9:07 AM, Celery Man said:

Jeffe

I think episode 1 or something it shows him instituting the "we call each other chef" rule change. And the idea that this French Laundry/Nomo guy would be running a neighborhood beef sandwich place is explained over time. I think you're likely correct for a lot of places on the Steak-umms but also I would think that places like this do exist. I've eaten italian beef sandwiches in Chicago maybe one time though, so fuck me.

Of your criticisms, the one that most struck me (again, non food industry vet, not particularly familiar with chicago food culture) is the guy fucking around with the donuts. If I'm having problems paying suppliers for my sandwich shop and I've got the fuckin... black gale boetticher of cakes in the back measuring the ph of our water that seems like an obvious cut. Buy some cakes from the store, this isn't a cake shop. Who is buying donuts during beef sandwich hours, and if it's late night drunks I don't remember the show highlighting that aspect of their business being as important as lunch?

Also

Reveal hidden contents

i like Sydney's character better than some of you, but the scene where she fucked the kitchen with the to-go orders and donut gale chooses that moment to solicit feedback on his masterpiece... what the fuck I'm on team Carmy FIRE ALL THE CHICKENS WE HAVE SHUT THE FUCK UP SYDNEY MARCUS YOU ARE DOING THIS NOW???. wtf. dude did not need to go on an apology tour and yes Sydney that was absolutely your fault

as long as i'm spoilered, i get the symbolic meaning but also stupid af to change the restaurant name at the end of the show. you're an institution, evolve with the area but keep that equity

Thanks. Beginning of the next episode does, in fact, fill in some detail. And I think it's awesome directing and acting - the al anon scene with Carm unloading. I don't know where this is going but the cynic in me who posted the other night really wanted to say that if this was real life, Carm and Richie aren't trying to pump out delicious beef sandwiches under the old model. Carm is closing the place for 12 months and opening Jack's Bistro. And Sydney is Felipe. 

57 minutes ago, Deej said:

The lead in this show is a weird looking dude. Reminds me of Jimbo's son. 

I never saw Shameless but he's in one of the shorts in Movie 43 called "Homeschooled".  Not sure how many are familiar with Movie 43 but it's pretty fucked up and I think it's hilarious.  There are 14 mini-movies about 4-8 minutes long and only a couple of duds, most are good, a few are fucking brilliant.

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=590796310939212

On a second watch and … Molly Ringwald is leading the suicide survivors in episode 3. Didn’t see it covered here previously, little shocking. Time is unkind.

And fuck all you Sydney haters. The bear is trying to elevate the whole place, and she has that in her DNA. If that means being a cunt in the kitchen, so be it. Get in line or GTFO.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Deej said:

The lead in this show is a weird looking dude. Reminds me of Jimbo's son. 

Jeremy Allen White. He was on Seth Myers last night and is a really humble, cool guy. Said the show was a huge hit with back of house crews and people call him Chef now when he goes in a restaurant.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Finally had a chance to churn through this today and it was nearly everything I was looking for going in.

Those who watched with me were stressed the fuck out, but I’ve spent plenty of time in restaurants and was purely captured by the performances.

Great acting all around, but damn if Chicago isn’t one of the stars… big fan of any media where the setting is allowed to shine.

Anyway, nearly everything I came to add was already addressed, but I’m fully in for S2. When and if The Bear blows up, that’s going to come with a whole ‘nother level of expectations and drama for the staff.

• Hook 'Em 2

Oh man.  I think I love this show.  Cannot wait for Season 2.  Great writing, GREAT soundtrack.  

Just finished this tonight. Wilco, Andrew Bird, Sufjan Stevens, Radiohead, etc. What’s not to like?

Anyway, great show. Really enjoyed it.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

Just finished it’s really well done. The last episode is a gut punch in a good way.
Weird, I’ve never felt compelled to react to acting in a series show, but I’m blown away by the acting. Sidney is fantastic. I’m 100% invested in that girl’s success.
And that dude from Shameless - he’s the real deal. Any actor that can look into (or slightly off) camera for a three minute monologue without break, and give that range of facial emotion, has my respect.
And I’d like Richie to get offed at some point.

It’s actually 7 mins and really, really fucking impressive
  • Like 1

A lot of talk about the girl being hateable but that dude working on donuts while everyone else is freaking out working their ass off? After being told explicitly to work on prep?  Way worse imo.

But to be fair that character is a lot less realistic and lacks anything resembling self awareness.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

We just finished Ep 4 last night, and I absolutely loved it.  My only experience in a commercial kitchen was working at Pizza Hutt for a few years in high school, so not really relatable but as someone enamored with learning how things work I love seeing what a real kitchen looks like during full tilt boogey time…had read a lot of ‘yeah that’s The Life for sure’ takes leading up to it. 

On a side note I hope this finally gets my wife to read Kitchen Confidential.  We had to pause a few times so I could explain Family, Order/Fire/Hands, etc.  Its one of my absolute favorites and have a hard copy signed by the man himself when he visited Austin, during which he accused me of throwing it in the toilet (I left it on a hotel balcony when traveling and got rained on).  That book does a wonderful job of pulling back the curtain on a mid-level kitchen and I pay so much more attention to back of house now.  

Can’t wait for episode 7. 

Edited by Homercles
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, fellside said:

A lot of talk about the girl being hateable but that dude working on donuts while everyone else is freaking out working their ass off? After being told explicitly to work on prep?  Way worse imo.

But to be fair that character is a lot less realistic and lacks anything resembling self awareness.

Yeah he was the only person that pissed me off that episode. Carmy had every right to smack that donut on the ground.

Yeah he was the only person that pissed me off that episode. Carmy had every right to smack that donut on the ground.

I mean, the fuck up of leaving pre-orders on was pretty massive in that it set everything to come in motion. The fact that to-go’s, despite Carm’s resistance, were implemented at her behest was bad enough, but then to quit after she fucked everyone else’s day?!

We’re comparing relative disasters here, but to me her actions are way more unforgivable, especially given her training. Dude on the donuts fucked up no doubt, but even if he whiffed on cakes for the day the business would have gone on. Her mistakes doomed them all…
  • Hook 'Em 1

^^ Thanks for sharing.  Does a great job elaborating on something I mentioned to my wife tonight, the cinematography is outstanding.  Love how he pointed out it conveys tension without shaky camera…a technique that I hate (sorta ruins great fight choreography in the Bourne movies, some of my favorites, and is way overplayed).  

Also awesome to know they didn’t use any hand doubles 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Party_Taco said:

I mean, the fuck up of leaving pre-orders on was pretty massive in that it set everything to come in motion. The fact that to-go’s, despite Carm’s resistance, were implemented at her behest was bad enough, but then to quit after she fucked everyone else’s day?!

We’re comparing relative disasters here, but to me her actions are way more unforgivable, especially given her training. Dude on the donuts fucked up no doubt, but even if he whiffed on cakes for the day the business would have gone on. Her mistakes doomed them all…

Yeah, Sydney screwed them big-time by walking out when she did. Cake/Donut guy, however, needed to be yelled at. Talk about not seeing the forest for the trees. Dude, read the room. But it sounds like he realized he'd fucked up when he was at Sydney's having dinner after. Like somebody else, I'd like to have it explained to me how Mikey re-sealed the tomato cans with the money in them.

This was a fantastic show I look forward to Season 2.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, RPM said:

Well, there you go.

1 minute ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I can’t put it together myself, but the company that carmy was asking about the large unknown debits had its name printed on the tomato cans. 

Yes, it was "KLB" or something like that when the shot zoomed in on the single can laying on its side under the shelf at the end.

On 7/20/2022 at 12:16 AM, Texzilla58 said:

I worked in fast food, short order, and mid tier kitchens in high school and college. Worked in McDonalds at 16 and they had some anniversary days selling 10 cent hamburgers; it was just like the to-go morning except we were somewhat prepared. Hours on end of 120 burgers going all day was exhausting but a rush when we survived. A Mexican fast food joint offered free food as a promo to get some PR. It was absolutely nuts and we weren’t prepared. I was ready to die most of that weekend.

Yeah, I referenced it on page 2, but the sound of that printer is so triggering.  When you're slammed, the prep is 86 everywhere, somebody no showed/called out, and that fucking printer won't stop spitting out tickets.

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

On 7/26/2022 at 11:42 PM, RPM said:

Jeremy Allen White. He was on Seth Myers last night and is a really humble, cool guy. Said the show was a huge hit with back of house crews and people call him Chef now when he goes in a restaurant.

Spoiler

In case you didn't catch it, the maintenance guy is an actual Chef and the Technical Advisor for the show.

Edited by RPM

Yeah, I referenced it on page 2, but the sound of that printer is so triggering.  When you're slammed, the prep is 86 everywhere, somebody no showed/called out, and that fucking printer won't stop spitting out tickets.

Back then we didn’t have a ticket printer or a screen. Just yelling or a girl taking orders talking into a mic. 24 tacos. 12 tacos no lettuce. 16 tacos. On and on. It’s triggering an anxiety attack 47 years later just thinking about it.

Oh wait. Got laid that night by a coworker from high school. She needed a ride, we grabbed a six pack. We were oddly exhilarated after that all day shift. My car smelled of tortillas, grease, and sex. Great times! Wonder where she is these days?
  • Like 4

Just now, Texzilla58 said:

Back then we didn’t have a ticket printer or a screen. Just yelling or a girl taking orders talking into a mic.

All we had was the wheel, a family of cooks that had been with us for years and 6 waitresses covering 2 sections (bar/cafe). Cafe was open 24/7. Bar got busy on the weekends and it covered 80% of the floor plan. That just naturally fed traffic to the cafe open after hours.

1 hour ago, Texzilla58 said:

Oh wait. Got laid that night by a coworker from high school. She needed a ride, we grabbed a six pack. We were oddly exhilarated after that all day shift. My car smelled of tortillas, grease, and sex. Great times! Wonder where she is these days?

Probably in therapy talking about how she was so exhausted after an all day shift that she slept with some dude in a car that smelled of tortillas and grease and hasn't been able to look at herself in the mirror without crying ever since. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 6

Probably in therapy talking about how she was so exhausted after an all day shift that she slept with some dude in a car that smelled of tortillas and grease and hasn't been able to look at herself in the mirror without crying ever since. 

Probably so. We went at it a couple more times but she was a senior and left after graduating. She smelled bad too. Not as bad as the ones that worked at McDonald’s. Got a handy from a prep girl in the walk-in one morning before anyone else showed up. A week later she put the same hand in a lettuce shredder and never returned. The manager made me wash the blood and finger shreds out of the lettuce and put the tub in the walk-in. I’ve never had a Big Mac since.