2023 Texas Baseball

Fletch

Well, all things considered, we had a successful season

Kash, Daly, O’Dowd, Kennedy, Campbell and hopefully skenes will be our nucleus

Gordon, Morehouse, Sthele, Duplantier, Southard, Harrison and lebarron are a good start. Would like to see Stewart develop. And hopefully Nixon can put it back together 

I’m assuming hodo, faltine and silas are gone. 

Gonna be an interesting offseason 

Posted this in the recruiting thread a few weeks back, but for reference and as a conversation starter

With that said, for draft eligible guys:

Out of eligibility: Messinger, Todd, Stehly, Olivarez, Stevens

Probably gone: Melendez, Faltine, Ardoin, Hodo (he graduated this year and has tools teams will probably like), Hansen, Southard (completely forgot he is a redshirt sophomore, I doubt he comes back. Someone will take a chance on him)

Could come back: Kennedy (could he pull a Stevens and say eff it I'll just ride out my Texas career? He's already 22 and his hit tool isn't that loud. His defense and speed might be attractive though), Coy Cobb (he still has a year left, but he probably has his degree by this point. If he moved on it probably wouldn't be for more baseball),

Probably coming back: Daly and O'Dowd (they are the only two draft eligible sophomores we have), Morehouse.

I'm sure there are a few upperclassmen who will just move on or enter the portal. Guys like Blair, Eckhardt, etc.

O’Dowd(SS) Daly (2B) and Campbell (OF) will make up a third of the lineup. Whitehead (OF) will likely take a spot as well. So that leaves 1B, 3B, C, OF and a DH spot for the taking.

In terms of portal priorities:

1. Weekend starter to pair with Gordon

2. Corner infielder 

3. 1-2 bullpen arms (already got one from the portal from Rice)

4. OF

I’m gonna leave off catcher because I think Galvin is a stud and will be ready to play as a freshman.

6 minutes ago, Dennis Taylor said:

No way he should play catcher. P/1B/ Dh

Yup. There is zero reason for us to ever put Skenes at C if he does come here. 

What are we thinking for defense?

2 - Schuessler?

3 - Kash

4 - Daly

5 - Campbell

6 - O’Dowd?

7, 8, 9, - No clue.

9 minutes ago, SizzleChest said:

I expect a pretty mediocre season for Texas Baseball in 2023, maybe the closest we’ll experience to 2019 in Pierce’s tenure, but not as bad.

Prepare to be pleasantly surprised. We return a lot, bring in a bitch of a recruiting class and Pierce is nails with transfers 

1 minute ago, Hookem2147 said:

O’Dowd(SS) Daly (2B) and Campbell (OF) will make up a third of the lineup. Whitehead (OF) will likely take a spot as well. So that leaves 1B, 3B, C, OF and a DH spot for the taking.

In terms of portal priorities:

1. Weekend starter to pair with Gordon

2. Corner infielder 

3. 1-2 bullpen arms (already got one from the portal from Rice)

4. OF

I’m gonna leave off catcher because I think Galvin is a stud and will be ready to play as a freshman.

I assume Campbell moves to 3rd

Just now, hobbes2702 said:

Yup. There is zero reason for us to ever put Skenes at C if he does come here. 

What are we thinking for defense?

2 - Schuessler?

3 - Kash

4 - Daly

5 - Campbell

6 - O’Dowd?

7, 8, 9, - No clue.

Whitehead

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

I assume Campbell moves to 3rd

His position flexibility is nice. If one of Hodo or Kennedy ends up coming back you could pair them with Whitehead and a portal/freshman and move Campbell to 3B.

Kash is fascinating to me. He looked lost at the plate this year but the tools are there.

Just now, Hookem2147 said:

His position flexibility is nice. If one of Hodo or Kennedy ends up coming back you could pair them with Whitehead and a portal/freshman and move Campbell to 3B.

Kash is fascinating to me. He looked lost at the plate this year but the tools are there.

His swing reminds me of Kyle Russell. Give tulo the off-season and we got our power hitter for next year 

The pitching is going to be better next year. We have so many young guys coming back and at least 2 or 3 of them will take a leap.

Duplantier and Sthele looked more comfortable as the season progressed. Harrison has potential, Stewart has potential, LBJ has closer potential,.

Nixon is a wildcard.

If just 2 or 3 of the guys above step up we will be a good place.

The pitching is going to be better next year. We have so many young guys coming back and at least 2 or 3 of them will take a leap.

Duplantier and Sthele looked more comfortable as the season progressed. Harrison has potential, Stewart has potential, LBJ has closer potential,.

Nixon is a wildcard.

Yea the pitching should be better overall but I worry about our top end. I don’t see an ace at all. Gordon could get even better and be that guy but then honestly I don’t see a number 2. 

5 minutes ago, HenryJames said:

Wrecking shit in Santa Barbara thus far.

Yeah he’s gonna go all Kyle Russell next year 

Nixon is a wildcard.

Man if we could get freshman Daly and Nixon back, we’d be a top 8 seed

1 minute ago, hobbes2702 said:

Yea the pitching should be better overall but I worry about our top end. I don’t see an ace at all. Gordon could get even better and be that guy but then honestly I don’t see a number 2. 

We will definitely need a starter out of the portal. If Gordon can take anywhere close to a similar leap that he took last offseason, he will be ready for Friday nights.

I wanna see how Stewart develops. But I like Gordon-Sthele-Harrison with morehouse on Tuesday. Time for a lockdown Tuesday guy. Shit if Cobb can come back I would love for him to get a crack at the rotation 

We will definitely need a starter out of the portal. If Gordon can take anywhere close to a similar leap that he took last offseason, he will be ready for Friday nights.

Yeah he went full Nick Kennedy this year. He can be a JP Howell type next year 

One another thing I noticed is our Big 12 schedule will be pretty favorable next year.

Our road series will be Baylor, Kansas, OSU and TCU. 3 of 4 will be in rebuild mode.

We get Tech at home and WVU away from Morgantown where we’ve historically struggled. Also get a OU team at home that will be returning a lot.

Edited by Hookem2147

Man Skenes solves so many problems if we can get him. Friday night starter, mid lineup power, defense at 1st (although Kash is plenty good there too). We really need to make that happen

Man Skenes solves so many problems if we can get him. Friday night starter, mid lineup power, defense at 1st (although Kash is plenty good there too). We really need to make that happen

Yep. We will definitely have a lot of scholarship money to throw around to transfers.

Crap forgot about Morehouse. He’s another one who has the tools we just need the consistency from him.

Yeah I can see him being the Saturday dude. Honestly I think I’d want Skenes to go all Ohtani and Pitch and DH and roll the dice with Schuessler or whoever else is gonna be on the roster next year 

2 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

Yeah I’d keep Kash at first and DH Skenes. Don’t want to risk a bull shit injury over there 

Put me in the camp that doesn’t have a ton of faith in O’Dowd. Not saying he can’t but there’s just not much from this year that has me excited about him possibly being our SS. 

Edited by DoneWithit
  • Hook 'Em 1

Just now, DoneWithit said:

Put me in the camp that doesn’t have a ton of faith in O’Dowd. Not saying he can’t but there’s just much from this year that has me excited about him possibly being our SS. 

Any reason why? Little I’ve seen, he has good range, smooth fielder and a good arm 

Just now, Fletch said:

Also I wonder if Witt can give us some innings later in the year like John Curtiss a few years ago 

Just depends on his recovery timeline. Horton was throwing out of the pen 13.5 months after surgery. If Witt follows that timeline he could be ready out of the pen by the beginning of May.

1 minute ago, DoneWithit said:

Put me in the camp that doesn’t have a ton of faith in O’Dowd. Not saying he can’t but there’s just much from this year that has me excited about him possibly being our SS. 

To be fair his action was pretty limited this year. He was a top 50 overall recruit in the country when he signed with Vandy.

To be fair his action was pretty limited this year. He was a top 50 overall recruit in the country when he signed with Vandy.

And he’s got a beautiful swing. I think he’s gonna be a .320 guy

3 minutes ago, Fletch said:

Any reason why? Little I’ve seen, he has good range, smooth fielder and a good arm 

I mean for a guy that only had 4 appearances and 5 TC’s this year I don’t think there’s much there. 

Just now, DoneWithit said:

I mean for a guy that only had 4 appearances and 5 TC’s this year I don’t think there’s much there. 

Eh Pierce sticks with his lineup. He looked good in the fall scrimmages and alumni game. And tulo will coach him up. That’s one thing about Pierce. We’ve always had a salty defense here (except 2019. Fucking scooters)

18 minutes ago, Fletch said:

Yeah I can see him being the Saturday dude. Honestly I think I’d want Skenes to go all Ohtani and Pitch and DH and roll the dice with Schuessler or whoever else is gonna be on the roster next year 

Yes absolutely no catching for Skenes. No reason to tax the legs like that

Edited by hobbes2702

3 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

All fair. He might well live up to his ranking but we have to remember there was a time this year that both Daly and DC sucked, and O’Dowd didn’t come in. 

Again I’m not saying he’s terrible and we should be on the market for SS, there just not a whole there from here or at Vanderbilt. I wouldn’t be shocked if we see competition for SS next year. 

11 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Just depends on his recovery timeline. Horton was throwing out of the pen 13.5 months after surgery. If Witt follows that timeline he could be ready out of the pen by the beginning of May.

Not to rehash all this again but I don’t see any reason he would do that. He’s going to be 1st round pick regardless.

• Like 1