2023 Texas Baseball

Fletch

7 minutes ago, DoneWithit said:

All fair. He might well live up to his ranking but we have to remember there was a time this year that both Daly and DC sucked, and O’Dowd didn’t come in. 

Again I’m not saying he’s terrible and we should be on the market for SS, there just not a whole there from here or at Vanderbilt. I wouldn’t be shocked if we see competition for SS next year. 

If I remember we tried to DH O’Dowd for a handful of games and he was okay. Wasn’t great but wasn’t awful. Campbell just ended up getting hot and taking over and then Todd came back.

22 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Just depends on his recovery timeline. Horton was throwing out of the pen 13.5 months after surgery. If Witt follows that timeline he could be ready out of the pen by the beginning of May.

That's  a reasonable comparison. 

10 minutes ago, DoneWithit said:

All fair. He might well live up to his ranking but we have to remember there was a time this year that both Daly and DC sucked, and O’Dowd didn’t come in. 

Again I’m not saying he’s terrible and we should be on the market for SS, there just not a whole there from here or at Vanderbilt. I wouldn’t be shocked if we see competition for SS next year. 

Yeah but Pierce probably figured Daly would work his way through the slump. Unfortunately that didn’t happen. He’ll be back to a gap to gap guy next year 

Just now, Hookem2147 said:

If I remember we tried to DH O’Dowd for a handful of games and he was okay. Wasn’t great but wasn’t awful. Campbell just ended up getting hot and taking over and then Todd came back.

Yeah we did and I agree it was just okay. DC didn’t get hot till the latter part of the season. I just thought we would have seen more of him with both Kennedy and Todd out, DC not being consistent, and Daly being an automatic out. I’m probably reaching though and he’ll end doing great. Been spoiled with Faltine and Hamilton. 

5 minutes ago, zlavydra said:

Has Skenes indicated that he wants to come to Austin?

Not that I could tell doing a quick search. I imagine it’s more the mutual respect that was shown between the two teams this season and the Air Force coach being very complimentary of the staff here, the fans, and the program overall.

Edited by hobbes2702

Apparently Skenes was on a visit to Tennessee this past week. We will see if we have any portal visitors pop up this week.

Will also be interesting to see who from our current team enters the portal. Could someone like Nixon be looking for a complete reset?

4 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Apparently Skenes was on a visit to Tennessee this past week. We will see if we have any portal visitors pop up this week.

Will also be interesting to see who from our current team enters the portal. Could someone like Nixon be looking for a complete reset?

I can’t imagine going from a coach like the dude at AF to that douchebag Vitello but maybe that doesn’t matter.

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

I can’t imagine going from a coach like the dude at AF to that douchebag Vitello but maybe that doesn’t matter.

Yeah going from all class to that would be something. He’ll end up here 

Also surely Powell gets a shot right? I wouldn’t mind him being our starting catcher with Skenes at dh and kash at first. Also I wanna see what Jack Arthur, Cam Dayton and Constantine got. And I think Stewart has weekend starter potential. Gonna be fun watching it all play out. And I’ll ask again. Does Cobb have eligibility left?

1 minute ago, Fletch said:

Also surely Powell gets a shot right? I wouldn’t mind him being our starting catcher with Skenes at dh and kash at first. Also I wanna see what Jack Arthur, Cam Dayton and Constantine got. And I think Stewart has weekend starter potential. Gonna be fun watching it all play out. And I’ll ask again. Does Cobb have eligibility left?

Yes, Cobb has his covid year available.

If he can be the pitching version of Todd next year then fuck yeah. We need a solid Tuesday starter and I think he’s the guy 

Gordon-Skenes-Harrison/Morehouse/Sthele/Southhard/Stewart/Duplantier is gonna be a filthy rotation 

1 minute ago, Hookem2147 said:

I got a buddy who has some connections at Perfect Game. I’ll see if I can find out anything more about the incoming recruits. Definitely a bigger class than last year since we are losing so much.

The baseball gods owe us some 1st or 2nd round types to make it to campus

2 minutes ago, Fletch said:

If he can be the pitching version of Todd next year then fuck yeah. We need a solid Tuesday starter and I think he’s the guy 

Gordon-Skenes-Harrison/Morehouse/Sthele/Southhard/Stewart/Duplantier is gonna be a filthy rotation 

Southard could potentially be gone. RS Soph.

Current roster projection:

C Galvan

1B Kash

2B Daly

SS TBD

3B Campbell

OF Whitehead

OF Kennedy

OF Bolte

DH Thomas

Bench: O’Dowd, Belyeu, Duplantier, TBD

Weekend SP: Gordon, Harrison, TBD

Other P: Stewart, Morehouse, Sthele, Nixon, Walbridge, Eckhardt, Johnson, Duplantier, TBD

A lot of work to do on this roster but the portal should be good to Texas.

1 minute ago, Snake Diggity said:

C Galvan

1B Kash

2B Daly

SS TBD

3B Campbell

OF Whitehead

OF Kennedy

OF Bolte

DH Thomas

Other P: Stewart, Morehouse, Sthele, Nixon, Walbridge, Eckhardt, Johnson, Duplantier, TBD

O’Dowd is gonna start. And I’m already penciling in Skenes 

7 minutes ago, Snake Diggity said:

C Galvan

1B Kash

2B Daly

SS TBD

3B Campbell

OF Whitehead

OF Kennedy

OF Bolte

DH Thomas

Galvan is a stud. Wouldn’t shock me one bit if he’s starting from game 1. We nailed that eval super early.

Bolte ain’t making it to campus unfortunately.

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

My gut tells me Southard is gone. He’s probably an 10th-12th round guy but if he can get over slot he will probably go. Cole Quintanilla went in the 9th round last year but he had some arm issues in the past that could have bumped him down a few rounds.

Idk. He could be our Sunday dude next year and work his way to a 3rdish rounder 

7 minutes ago, Fletch said:

Idk. He could be our Sunday dude next year and work his way to a 3rdish rounder 

Just my opinion, but Southard would need to make a pretty big jump to join the rotation. Just don’t think his profile would translate super well to the rotation. Think he’s at his best when we can grip it and rip it for 2 or 3 innings at a time with his wipeout slider.

2 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Just my opinion, but Southard would need to make a pretty big jump to join the rotation. Just don’t think his profile would translate super well to the rotation. Think he’s at his best when we can grip it and rip it for 2 or 3 innings at a time with his wipeout slider.

If we get Skenes then I bet Southard is our Tuesday guy behind Gordon, Skene, and Morehouse. If he isn't cut out for starter innings then we'll find out quickly. 

I like Southard as a closer tbh. The slider is an incredible out pitch, he throws fucking gas, and especially recently has pounded the strikezone. LBJ has great stuff too but imo hasn’t shown as much as Southard 

Edited by hobbes2702
  • Hook 'Em 3

Just now, SizzleChest said:

Lotta sunshine getting pumped on this thread.  I'd like to be that hopeful, too, but dang.

I think if we can land Skenes then we have solved several problems and all the sudden we don’t have many big weaknesses that would need fixing. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, SizzleChest said:

Lotta sunshine getting pumped on this thread.  I'd like to be that hopeful too, but dang.

The truth is always in the middle. It’s not all sunshine and roses but it’s also not doomsday. This is the university of Texas there are good players on our roster who didn’t play much this season. 

There are pieces to work with and the team can be more than competitive again next year if a few holes are filled.

7 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Also have this guy joining us from the juco ranks

Era over 7 for his freshman year at okst. 3.20 at McLennan, especially with a 190 BA against is nothing to sneeze at though.

Edited by hobbes2702

1 hour ago, EuroHorn said:

How does he get out of his commitment to become a commissioned officer?

He is at year 2.  He can leave now and pay back his first two years (which is what is happening).

This one will probably be the first piece of the puzzle for next year.

1 hour ago, Hookem2147 said:

If Skenes comes here he’s a Friday/Saturday guy and will DH the days he doesn’t pitch. He won’t play the field here.

If you are him, do you want Sean Allen as your pitching coach? Honest question in the day/age of transfers.