2023 Texas Baseball

Fletch

6 minutes ago, Balcones said:

If you are him, do you want Sean Allen as your pitching coach? Honest question in the day/age of transfers.

Give me a break. 

You’d think we were employing a little league coach as our pitching coach. Pierce and Allen both work with the pitchers. Both have worked as pitching coaches before they got to texas.

• Hook 'Em 1

21 minutes ago, Balcones said:

If you are him, do you want Sean Allen as your pitching coach? Honest question in the day/age of transfers.

Maybe, maybe not. I don’t think there is some widespread agreement that Sean Allen is bad. We’ve had a few pitchers over the years move backwards but probably not a ton more than others. I want us to upgrade there, especially from a pitch selection and pitcher management standpoint, but it’s not like he hasn’t coached plenty of really good college pitchers

Baseball can be a beautifully simple sport. We need big improvement in pitching, we need hitters to step up big to replace Ivan and become more dangerous from top to bottom of the lineup.

Whats complicated is actually solving those problems. I like Pierce, putting my trust in him to work it out. We don’t need a bunch of transfers, but we need some Antico-level magic in at least one of them.

2 minutes ago, The Earl of Texas said:

Baseball can be a beautifully simple sport. We need big improvement in pitching, we need hitters to step up big to replace Ivan and become more dangerous from top to bottom of the lineup.

Whats complicated is actually solving those problems. I like Pierce, putting my trust in him to work it out. We don’t need a bunch of transfers, but we need some Antico-level magic in at least one of them.

We need about 3 transfers, Skenes being one of them and a tad bit of luck in the draft. Regardless I’m expecting to be back in Omaha next year 

2 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

Give me a break. 

You’d think we were employing a little league coach as our pitching coach. Pierce and Allen both work with the pitchers. Both have worked as pitching coaches before they got to texas.

No. I won’t give you a break.

Frank Anderson and Skip Johnson are in a different league than Sean.

• Hook 'Em 3

16 minutes ago, NorthLoop said:

So which would you rather have... 

A. A new pitching coach?

B. A new 3B coach? 

Sean Allen was our 3rd base coach. Then they had a great idea to turn him into a pitching coach. 

My point is we have had Frank Anderson, Burt Hooton, Skip Johnson as pitching coaches. We should have the best here.

• Hook 'Em 3

10 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

Give me a break. 

I know of a pitching prospect in the Austin area who has Tennessee and A&M firmly above Texas on his list solely because he doesn't want to work with Allen so it's not just random message board posters who think he sucks.

• Hook 'Em 4

25 minutes ago, DanRydell said:

I know of a pitching prospect in the Austin area who has Tennessee and A&M firmly above Texas on his list solely because he doesn't want to work with Allen so it's not just random message board posters who think he sucks.

And I had a high school friend who didn’t want to play at Texas to pitch for Skip because “Everyone who played under him his last few years lost velo, had arm troubles and didn’t progress.”

You can find pretty much anyone to fit any narrative you want if you work hard enough. Frank Anderson is a jag. Randy Boone was on a podcast just last week talking about how he didn’t really learn how to “pitch” until Anderson left to go to Oklahoma State.

Also, Pierce is the de facto pitching coach. It’s what he did his last 6 years at Rice. Allen assists but Pierce is front and center in the pitching decisions, development and recruiting. I know that for a fact. If Tulo leaves or the 3rd paid assistant leaves you will see some shuffling but pitching is always going to be Pierce’s baby.

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, DanRydell said:

That sounds pretty stupid considering one of those programs consistently puts pitchers into MLB and the others don’t.

I’ve said this before but I am a little skeptical at how Skenes bat would translate to a higher level of pitching away from the thin air in Colorado. Maybe if I’m bored today I’ll look at his home/road splits for the year.

He’s probably good enough to DH and bat 6th or whatever, but I don’t think he’s just plug and play at the cleanup spot and we don’t miss a beat. His average dropped almost 100 points at the plate this year when he became a starter on the mound. 

8 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

I’ve said this before but I am a little skeptical at how Skenes bat would translate to a higher level of pitching away from the thin air in Colorado. Maybe if I’m bored today I’ll look at his home/road splits for the year.

8 of his 13 HR were away from home.  He hit 3 in Austin (2 versus Texas, 1 against DBU) 

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 2

36 minutes ago, Js1 said:

8 of his 13 HR were away from home.  He hit 3 in Austin (2 versus Texas, 1 against DBU) 

Good stuff. Just did the quick math and got the following for this year:

At Home: .290 hitter

Away from home: .326 hitter

Edited by Hookem2147

I mentioned RHP Wyatt Chaney in the thread yesterday, but we have a few more juco guys committed as well. Here are their stats from this year:

INF Ben Harmon (Seminole State): .295/.401/.811 1 HR, 28 RBI's and 12 SB's in 48 games. Speed guy who can do a little bit of everything.

LHP Chris Stuart (San Jac): 78.1 innings, 3.10 ERA, 106 strikeouts. Only allowed 2 home runs on the year. Was 93-94 this past fall in a few outings.

• Hook 'Em 1

14 hours ago, Snake Diggity said:

Current roster projection:

Weekend SP: Gordon, Harrison, TBD

This would not be good.  We need a stud Friday starter bad. Gordon is a decent #2 that we can get to Omaha with, but we really need a stud #1 and a “better than Gordon #2” if we want to win it all. 

42 minutes ago, EZ$ said:

This would not be good.  We need a stud Friday starter bad. Gordon is a decent #2 that we can get to Omaha with, but we really need a stud #1 and a “better than Gordon #2” if we want to win it all. 

Gordon needs to be able to pitch more than five innings.

18 minutes ago, HenryJames said:

Gordon needs to be able to pitch more than five innings.

He went 5 or more innings in 9 of his 16 starts this year. And two of the times he didn't go 5 were his first two starts in Witt's place when he was still building up pitch count.

He went 5 or more innings in 8 of his 9 starts in conference play.

Again, don't let his last two outings cloud what he did this year. He was arguably our best pitcher in conference play.

• Hook 'Em 1

Having to extend Hansen in too many games this season due to the shitshow that was the bullpen for sure was an impact on his late season decline.

Gordon's a bullpen arm, unless he develops an out pitch or seriously improves his command.

I don't know what Harrison is, but I'm excited to find out.  I think he's a starter.

What else is there?  Not much, imo. Skenes coming here is just wishcasting at this point, but he's a DH/1B.

Pierce can keep working with pitchers, but he really needs some serious soul searching about the composition of his staff, assuming Tulo is gone.  Sean Allen may not be a liability, but the result this season showed he's not a plus pitching coach either.

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

image.gif.08159f6bc969a8ba065afe7bc1ed9e73.gif

So Skenes is going to be in the lineup every game, pitch every weekend, catch here and there, play a little 1B, and this will all help him go Top 10 in the first round?

All while playing for another team?

Edited by SizzleChest

3 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

And I had a high school friend who didn’t want to play at Texas to pitch for Skip because “Everyone who played under him his last few years lost velo, had arm troubles and didn’t progress.”

😊    Where did he choose to take his talent  ?    

You can find pretty much anyone to fit any narrative you want if you work hard enough. Frank Anderson is a jag. Randy Boone was on a podcast just last week talking about how he didn’t really learn how to “pitch” until Anderson left to go to Oklahoma State.

Do you have a link for that podcast or site ?

Edited by torre

Just now, SizzleChest said:

So Skenes is going to be in the lineup every game, pitch every weekend, catch here and there, play a little 1B, and this will all help him go Top 10 in the first round?

You said he was a 1B/DH.

He is a pitcher first and that is where his future is at the next level. We won't need him to catch and if he can DH on the days he doesn't pitch then great. But the biggest reason for wanting him is a 6'6 dude who still hasn't fully filled out that throws 97.

8 minutes ago, SizzleChest said:

Having to extend Hansen in too many games this season due to the shitshow that was the bullpen for sure was an impact on his late season decline.

Gordon's a bullpen arm, unless he develops an out pitch or seriously improves his command.

I don't know what Harrison is, but I'm excited to find out.  I think he's a starter.

What else is there?  Not much, imo. Skenes coming here is just wishcasting at this point, but he's a DH/1B.

Pierce can keep working with pitchers, but he really needs some serious soul searching about the composition of his staff, assuming Tulo is gone.  Sean Allen may not be a liability, but the result this season showed he's not a plus pitching coach either.

Great post !   Don't be a stranger to the baseball forum.

3 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

You said he was a 1B/DH.

He is a pitcher first and that is where his future is at the next level. We won't need him to catch and if he can DH on the days he doesn't pitch then great. But the biggest reason for wanting him is a 6'6 dude who still hasn't fully filled out that throws 97.

So, Skenes is going to come pitch for the nationally renowned.....checks notes....Sean Allen?