2023 Texas Baseball

Fletch

9 minutes ago, ss13 said:

He certainly wasn’t. 

So yeah, perhaps he wasn't responsible for some of the other inconsistent staffs.

Then again, pitching coach seems to be kind of a career specialty.  At least the ones at Texas.  And Allen was apparently not that.

21 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

I guess all you guys attacking Allen's coaching as a big part of the problem are vindicated a bit. Somebody on the inside clearly agrees with you.

it was obvious.  Now we need a massive upgrade in arm talent.  this gives me hope that Pierce also knows that the stuff we have on campus ain't gonna cut it.  

We got a good draw in the regional and then our lineup woke up just in time to take the super(which was a reasonably good draw also, sans the bullshit stadium).  exposed in Omaha. 

next year could be ugly if he doesn't retool the lineup a bit as well.

17 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

I'm not sure Allen was titled "Pitching Coach" all of his tenure here, but his staffs were a bit up and down, inconsistent.

I have this niggling feeling that Del Conte is pretty good at gently nudging head coaches about staff changes.

Nah, he lets the head coaches do their thing. It can bite you in the ass tho, hello Herman. 

Just now, TwiceHorn said:

So yeah, perhaps he wasn't responsible for some of the other inconsistent staffs.

Then again, pitching coach seems to be kind of a career specialty.  At least the ones at Texas.  And Allen was apparently not that.

He wasn’t the pitching coach the whole time and DP does a lot of that job too. But that’s kind of the point. This is Texas. We don’t need a sorta offense, sorta pitching, sorta whatever as our pitching coach and recruiting coordinator. We can get elite assistants because we have the resources and this is the elite program in college baseball. 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

the inability to get Nixon back on track and Stevens completely blowing up were huge red flags, the overall bullpen shitshow was just icing on the cake.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

Just now, dcar00 said:

it was obvious.  Now we need a massive upgrade in arm talent.  this gives me hope that Pierce also knows that the stuff we have on campus ain't gonna cut it.  

We got a good draw in the regional and then our lineup woke up just in time to take the super(which was a reasonably good draw also, sans the bullshit stadium).  exposed in Omaha. 

next year could be ugly if he doesn't retool the lineup a bit as well.

We got the arms. They just need to be developed properly. We showed some decent development this year but our biggest issue was not being able to put a batter away. If we can get back to throwing nasty sliders and curves and circle changes that drop out of the zone and fool the shit out of the hitter, we’re set. That’s been the biggest difference from the Augie and skip days. No “out pitches”

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, hobbes2702 said:

He wasn’t the pitching coach the whole time and DP does a lot of that job too. But that’s kind of the point. This is Texas. We don’t need a sorta offense, sorta pitching, sorta whatever as our pitching coach and recruiting coordinator. We can get elite assistants because we have the resources and this is the elite program in college baseball. 

Pierce doing this right after making Omaha is the right way.  see a problem, do not wait.  

Even Pierce knows that Kody Clemens and the lineup(with another College Player of the Year type) this year got him to Omaha twice.  how often is that actually going to happen?  fix the fucking pitching and everything else will work itself out.  I hope we can keep Tulo.

• Hook 'Em 5

3 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

the inability to get Nixon back on track and Stevens completely blowing up were huge red flags, the overall bullpen shitshow was just icing on the cake.

Yeah. If Nixon took the next step instead of shitting the bed and Stevens gave us sayyyy a 3.40 or so era, we’re 2-0 right now 

10 minutes ago, SizzleChest said:

A third paid assistant would relieve a lot of pressure if the NCAA would get off their ass and just do it.  

Can’t come back up for a vote until this year. Our soon to be ex conference mates help bring it down - fuck this garbage conference. And those Big 10 bitches. 

4 minutes ago, Sir Ulrich said:

What sucks for Allen is he should have gotten the SHSU job a couple years back. Would have been a win win for all

Should have gotten the Rice job too. He can recruit and is probably experienced enough to where he can manage a program.

6 minutes ago, Fletch said:

We got the arms. They just need to be developed properly. We showed some decent development this year but our biggest issue was not being able to put a batter away. If we can get back to throwing nasty sliders and curves and circle changes that drop out of the zone and fool the shit out of the hitter, we’re set. That’s been the biggest difference from the Augie and skip days. No “out pitches”

I get what you are saying but we're going to have to agree to disagree.  I think we have 3 maybe 4 guys with arm talent that is Texas level.  I realize not every guy on staff is going to throw 95 with a nasty offspeed 2nd pitch but how may do we have?

10 years ago 94 FB with decent offspeed were going pro.  that isn't the case anymore. MLB wants to see upper 90's.  we need to have a staff full of guys that can hit 94 consistently IMO.

Pierce needs to do some work.  This is a good first sign.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

I get what you are saying but we're going to have to agree to disagree.  I think we have 3 maybe 4 guys with arm talent that is Texas level.  I realize not every guy on staff is going to throw 95 with a nasty offspeed 2nd pitch but how may do we have?

10 years ago 94 FB with decent offspeed were going pro.  that isn't the case anymore. MLB wants to see upper 90's.  we need to have a staff full of guys that can hit 94 consistently IMO.

A former MLB executive indicated that he thought we had good arms in the pen during a mid-season discussion.  So I’m gonna side with Fletch here.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

Yeah absolutely. We have a bunch of Parker French, shugart, Randy Boone types. Dudes that are good but far from elite. 

Shugart, Kingham, Gordon, Hansen, Stevens, Nick kennedy. All good pitchers but they’d be Sunday or Tuesday dudes in the heydays of JP Howell, Sam Lecure, Ruffin, Jungmann or Peters. Time to start consistently having Tanner Witt, Ty Madden and Bryce Elder types year in year out. 

Our pitching under Pierce has been above average to good. Our hitting has been damn near elite. Time to bring back elite pitching to Texas. Dudes that’ll be cy young contenders in the pros 

11 minutes ago, cochamps said:

A former MLB executive indicated that he thought we had good arms in the pen during a mid-season discussion.  So I’m gonna side with Fletch here.

They all have mlb potential. Most of them would be 1-2 inning relievers though. It’s time we go back to having 3 aces and a future Friday night dude as our Tuesday guy. Like say Jungmann, Ruffin, Workman, Milner and Green

5 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

The D1Baseball guys have consistently said we had great arms, they were just inconsistent and couldn't throw strikes.

This is 100% correct. Off the top of my head, this year we had Southard, Johnson, and Olivarez that throw 95+ fastballs. Those guys need to be developed into guys that  we can depend on to come in and get 2, 3, 4 quality innings, and/or become starters.  That hasn’t happened and that falls entirely on the pitching coach 

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

I thought Allen was a fine assistant, but if Pierce thinks this is the move that gets us over the hump then props to him for making the move and not just running things back because the season ended in Omaha.

Well I guess it kind of shakes out like this:

Allen wasn't that great of a hitting coach and now shown to be not that great of a pitching coach. There are just not enough slots to keep around a fine assistant if he is not great at something.

5 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

The Baseball Gods be willing...

It’s time. Our former players are definitely in on this. Time for multiple first round types with Huston, j brent, knebal and John Curtiss type closers 

21 minutes ago, Fletch said:

Yeah absolutely. We have a bunch of Parker French, shugart, Randy Boone types. Dudes that are good but far from elite. 

Shugart, Kingham, Gordon, Hansen, Stevens, Nick kennedy. All good pitchers but they’d be Sunday or Tuesday dudes in the heydays of JP Howell, Sam Lecure, Ruffin, Jungmann or Peters. Time to start consistently having Tanner Witt, Ty Madden and Bryce Elder types year in year out. 

Our pitching under Pierce has been above average to good. Our hitting has been damn near elite. Time to bring back elite pitching to Texas. Dudes that’ll be cy young contenders in the pros 

The past two years would have looked a lot different if we would have gotten Elder and one of the Jared's to survive the 2020 draft. 

Sean Allen has been an assistant coach for a long time, 6 years at Texas, multiple trips to CWS, Frank Broyles award from d1baseball, experience with fielding, hitting, and pitching…… why is he not getting head coaching offers? Wasn’t the Tulane job open? Mid majors, Big 10 schools, Sun Belt,…. What’s the deal?

Edited by Balcones
  • Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

Well I guess it kind of shakes out like this:

Allen wasn't that great of a hitting coach and now shown to be not that great of a pitching coach. There are just not enough slots to keep around a fine assistant if he is not great at something.

To be fair is a very good recruiter. He is good at that 

26 minutes ago, Fletch said:

They all have mlb potential. Most of them would be 1-2 inning relievers though. It’s time we go back to having 3 aces and a future Friday night dude as our Tuesday guy. Like say Jungmann, Ruffin, Workman, Milner and Green

No argument here.  The discussion I had was bullpen specific, not related to starters at all.

9 minutes ago, cochamps said:

No argument here.  The discussion I had was bullpen specific, not related to starters at all.

Yeah. If we had a j Brent or knebal or John Curtiss we would’ve won the conference and would likely still be playing. Damn. Was kinda depressed all day for obvious reasons and now I’m thinking that ass whipping was the best thing for us long term. If that’s what it took for Pierce to finally focus on elite pitching then fuck yeah. This hire alone could take us from what we’ve been (tough out in the tournament and typically top 3ish in conference) to having 4 legit elite starters with a j Brent set up man and Huston or knebal level closer, holy shit!!! The foundation has been laid. One of the 2 missing pieces has been addressed. Now fix the base running and we’re gonna go on an epic run 

6 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

So what's Josh Holliday's dad doing these days? He wasn't a bad pitching coach.

Pitching has changed a bit over the years. We gotta go young dude here. Analytic, spin rate, location type guy

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, dcar00 said:

Pierce doing this right after making Omaha is the right way.  see a problem, do not wait.  

Even Pierce knows that Kody Clemens and the lineup(with another College Player of the Year type) this year got him to Omaha twice.  how often is that actually going to happen?  fix the fucking pitching and everything else will work itself out.  I hope we can keep Tulo.

Also Pierce has developed some pretty damn good lineups in his time here. And everyone seems to get better. Kacy, Boswell and Travis Jones all had their best year here in 2017. Hamilton made a huge jump from freshman to sophomore year. Duke Ellis, hibbler, zubia and of course Kody all improved in 2018. 2019 was a shit show. That was over the second Hamilton and DJ were out for the year. 2020 looked promising till Covid. 2021 the entire lineup, especially Antico, Williams and Kennedy get significantly better throughout the year. This year silas, faltine, Ivan, stehly. Fucking everyone except Daly improved significantly at the plate.

So yeah was it all Pierce? No. But at the end of the day, he’s got the final say. Our hitting has been good to elite during his time here. Our fielding has been good to elite during his time here. Pitching has just been average to good. We’re about to turn into Vanderbilt when it comes to pitching. This is the difference between being a Florida state or being Texas. We’re back to being Texas. The next few years are gonna fuck

2 hours ago, dcar00 said:

Spot on.

1 hour ago, Valmy77 said:

The D1Baseball guys have consistently said we had great arms, they were just inconsistent and couldn't throw strikes.

And they’re not wrong.  We’ve got a bunch of timid nibblers praying the ump gives them the perfect strike zone.  We have very few, if any, “Here, try to hit this shit!” guys.  That needs to change.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Valmy77 said:

I guess all you guys attacking Allen's coaching as a big part of the problem are vindicated a bit. Somebody on the inside clearly agrees with you.

A change needed to happen.  No hate for Allen from this guy, but we aren’t anywhere near where we need to be pitching-wise.  Now we find out if Allen was the reason.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Pierce has high expectations for his staff and works them hard. Pretty surprising the same group has been with him for 11 years straight. He doesn’t sugarcoat anything and is pretty opinionated. 

I’m sure him and Allen had some very unpleasant conversations throughout this season.