2023 Texas Baseball

Fletch

2 minutes ago, Cajun said:

We need a guy who instills a better mentality in the pitching staff.  Our guys pitch scared too often.  

That needs to leave the program.

Yeah we were too focused on throwing strikes. Like 4 seam belt high shit. We would sometimes paint the corners a bit but we never had a slider that starts down the middle and ends in the opposite batters box. We don’t have “out pitches”. They just kept throwing strikes with no authority or any kind of trickery. It was all predictable shit 

• Hook 'Em 1

55 minutes ago, Fletch said:

Yeah we were too focused on throwing strikes. Like 4 seam belt high shit. We would sometimes paint the corners a bit but we never had a slider that starts down the middle and ends in the opposite batters box. We don’t have “out pitches”. They just kept throwing strikes with no authority or any kind of trickery. It was all predictable shit 

Nailed it Irwin T Fletcher!

We need a guy who understands the absolute necessity of having tags on our mattresses.

1 hour ago, Cajun said:

Nailed it Irwin T Fletcher!

We need a guy who understands the absolute necessity of having tags on our 

The 2017, ‘18 and ‘22 team had the lineup to do some serious damage in the post season. The difference? Those numbers below. Elite pitching. This change is going to be the difference between Pierce being Mike Martin or Pat Casey. Seems like Pierce is going the Saban route. Bring in the best. And I fucking love that we got rid of Allen after hosting a regional and going to the CWS for the 3rd time in the last 4 full seasons. Pierce and whoever else involved with this knows that the Pierce era has been good, but god dammit good ain’t enough. We’re looking for and expecting elite. Looks like we’re headed that way

EEF0D622-5397-4918-8835-DA4DA6B9CC9E.png

2D8B9F49-B4FC-4D7A-9B14-0F53556611B5.png

A4018F3F-4670-4B75-82BA-81876080E3F8.png

BF9A3306-B355-404E-B505-8FE16F6288F2.png

F988B072-28F2-4853-8697-086663DE5AA3.png

Edited by Fletch

6 hours ago, Fletch said:

Yeah we were too focused on throwing strikes. 

What?  I saw the exact opposite. Seemed like we were trying to nibble the entire time and would end up behind in the count constantly. Just throw that shit down the middle and you’ll be OK 70% of the time (probably closer to 80% if you have any kind of stuff/movement). 

The walk rates of this years team were not all that different from the 2021 team (3.23 in 2021 vs 3.65 this year). It was the quality of pitches being thrown. Guys fell behind more often so they were giving hitters favorable counts. Outside of Hansen our guys couldn’t seem to get secondary pitches consistently over the plate early in the count. It was the combination of a lot things. Walks were not the #1 problem.

• Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

I have this niggling feeling that Del Conte is pretty good at gently nudging head coaches about staff changes.

This and BMD's who care about baseball.

And possibly to prevent a portal exodus of some of our talent.    The talent is there.

Best of luck to Sean.   Outstanding person and recruiter.

9 hours ago, Rholl said:

so let me get this straight.... In order to upgrade, the new pitching coach needs back to back to back CWS on his resume????    Gonna be a short list

Boy, that’s a whole lot of stupid for this early in the morning.

Impressive.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck You 1

10 hours ago, Rholl said:

so let me get this straight.... In order to upgrade, the new pitching coach needs back to back to back CWS on his resume????    Gonna be a short list

Nah. We need a guy who is a great pitching coach and top recruits want to play for.

Probably also a short list.

3 hours ago, EZ$ said:

What?  I saw the exact opposite. Seemed like we were trying to nibble the entire time and would end up behind in the count constantly. Just throw that shit down the middle and you’ll be OK 70% of the time (probably closer to 80% if you have any kind of stuff/movement). 

You can't throw down the middle unless you are some dominant shit.  We gave up 66 HR in 2022.  We gave up 6 HR in 2014.  Holy shit!

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Balcones said:

You can't throw down the middle unless you are some dominant shit.  We gave up 66 HR in 2022.  We gave up 6 HR in 2014.  Holy shit!

If we had had Nathan Thornhill this season things would have been different.

4 hours ago, EZ$ said:

It was a bit of both. When we couldn’t paint we’d just lob up 4 seamers belt high with 2 strikes. So pretty much batting practice

3 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Cutter Coffey still 66th in Keith Law's top 100 draft prospects. Henry Bolte is not in the top 100. If we somehow get him to campus it will be one of the biggest recruiting wins in quite some time.

Bolte is #35 in mlb.com’s list.  He is not on Law’s or Fangraphs’ lists.  It would be huge to get either Bolte or Flores.

1 minute ago, Snake Diggity said:

Bolte is #35 in mlb.com’s list.  He is not on Law’s or Fangraphs’ lists.  It would be huge to get either Bolte or Flores.

The story on Coffey seems to be that he was awful last summer when facing tougher competition, but he dominated this spring against bad competition. I think the concern with both him and Bolte is their swing is a little long so teams aren't sure how it will translate against better pitching. 

8 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Cutter Coffey still 66th in Keith Law's top 100 draft prospects. Henry Bolte is not in the top 100. If we somehow get him to campus it will be one of the biggest recruiting wins in quite some time.

It seemed like we were all very surprised to get Kash and Stewart last year. Were those guys not as highly ranked as Bolte, Flores, and Coffey?

1 minute ago, Valmy77 said:

It seemed like we were all very surprised to get Kash and Stewart last year. Were those guys not as highly ranked as Bolte, Flores, and Coffey?

Stewart was #180 on MLB.com's list last year and Kash was unranked. 

Kind of mind blowing looking back on it that we couldn't get more out of Stewart this year. This draft profile talks about he has a fastball that can reach 93-94 with an elite spin rate.

2 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Kind of mind blowing looking back on it that we couldn't get more out of Stewart this year. This draft profile talks about he has a fastball that can reach 93-94 with an elite spin rate.

Hopefully the next pitching coach will.

Though I was also promised I would be blown away by Kash and his sweet swing, which we barely saw.

Edited by Valmy77

1 hour ago, Valmy77 said:

I am surprised he is being seriously considered for the USC job on so little experience.

That's pretty impressive Tulo. I think you should probably take it. We are going to really miss you.

Maybe USC cannot get anyone good with more experience:

17 minutes ago, Texas Wahoo said:

Maybe USC cannot get anyone good with more experience:

Yeah they have been a bottom dweller in the PAC 12 for a long time now.

And as far as fan support, did they have a huge following even during their legendary dynasty back in the 1970s? LA loves the Dodgers and all but not really a College Baseball town. I don't think even the recent great UCLA teams had huge fan numbers.

Edit: Ok I went back and looked at the 2013 UCLA Bruins, who had probably the most dominant run through Omaha ever seen (allowing just four runs in five wins), and their attendance was pathetic. They very rarely every broke 1,000 fans at a home game. The Stanford crowds were several times larger than theirs. Their park only seats 1,800 and they never filled it, even during the Regionals. So I don't think USC's small crowds really say anything. They could go 54-0 and still probably have 600 fans in the stands. Just seems like how much Los Angeles cares about College Baseball.

Edited by Valmy77

Maybe it's just me, but I'm not surprised Tulo/usc thing. Only way he doesn't take the job, is if usc truly has no commitment to winning,  and that's probably a thing of the past with their new AD. Assuming they offer him the job. 

1 hour ago, Valmy77 said:

I am surprised he is being seriously considered for the USC job on so little experience.

That's pretty impressive Tulo. I think you should probably take it. We are going to really miss you.

USC can't recruit any top P5 coaches.  The place has tuned into a busted Caprice sans tires sitting on the shoulder of the 405.

1 hour ago, Hookem2147 said:

We’re fucking due. Also what’s our baseball NIL situation like? Would it give a reason for Josh Bell and Dylan Bundy types to consider coming here? Get paid handsomely, no minor league busses and god dammit you get to play for UT

48 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Stewart was #180 on MLB.com's list last year and Kash was unranked. 

Seriously. I had high hopes for him. Still do. Really think he has Friday night type potential. Can’t wait to see who we hire and watch us get back to team era of 2.50ish every year. 

22 minutes ago, SizzleChest said:

USC can't recruit any top P5 coaches.  The place has tuned into a busted Caprice sans tires sitting on the shoulder of the 405.

Hopefully Tulowitzki recognizes USC is not the right opportunity. Any number of schools out there with pedigree and brighter horizons. 

Question; How did TX almost come back from the loser’s bracket last season in Omaha? Do you attribute it to a solid & deep pitching staff, timely hitting, or both? Didn’t see it and I’m curious. Quite a feat. Sorry for the pivot.

Edited by Spencer

1 minute ago, Spencer said:

Question; How did TX almost come back from the loser’s bracket last season in Omaha? Do you attribute it to a solid & deep pitching staff, timely hitting, or both? Didn’t see it and I’m curious. Quite a feat. Sorry for the pivot.

Both. Solid starts and great bullpen work combined with a line up that finally broke out of its habit of striking out double digit times a game.

In 2014 it was entirely because of the pitching staff. When they stopped shutting everybody out, we lost.

8 minutes ago, Spencer said:

Had some dudes in that bullpen. Witt, Quintanilla, Nixon 

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, Spencer said:

Against Tennessee we got a heroic performance from Witt out of the pen and hit the ball fairly well.

Virginia we got an outstanding outing from Hansen and finally busted the game open in the 8th.

Mississippi State elimination game we got a pretty good outing from Madden, almost blew it by bringing Witt back on short rest after a bunch of pitches, and then Ivan saved us.

10 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

Both. Solid starts and great bullpen work combined with a line up that finally broke out of its habit of striking out double digit times a game.

In 2014 it was entirely because of the pitching staff. When they stopped shutting everybody out, we lost.

Impressive. Don’t know the stat but I would imagine that hasn’t happened much. 

32 minutes ago, Spencer said:

Sean, you should be out looking for another job right now. Not posting on Surly.

4 minutes ago, OB3 said:

Bad, bad news. Checketts and Tulo were their main two guys. Seems like a given he will be offered the job I guess it's just a matter of does he accept or think a better opportunity might come up this year or next offseason.

Edited by Hookem2147

3 minutes ago, Sir Ulrich said:

Tulo should just wait and take a big Texas college job where he actually has a chance to win big. P12 baseball just isn't capable of winning in the current climate.  

Too hot?