2023 Texas Baseball

Fletch

The booster thing could be something lost in translation. Did the booster push hard for Allen to be let go? Probably not. Did the booster subtlety let Pierce know there’s enough backing, if he chooses to fire Allen, to go and get a big name guy? Maybe more likely. There’s just no way Pierce doesn’t have a big name guy in his sights that is attainable. 

Since nobody has been named yet, you wonder if it's someone on the staff of the 2 teams still playing. Clay Van Hook is a Texas alum, but not sure it's the big name you get when you let Allen go. Many on here know much more than I about college coaches, so I'm just an amateur speculator. 

7 minutes ago, Horny Bull said:

Hutchins was supposed to be a contributor this past season coming from Blinn but I believe he had some injuries and just never got on track. Was 92-93 when he was at Blinn. His dad has been the director of baseball ops at A&M the last 20+ years so it was curious to me that his son even came here.

Edited by Hookem2147

I can’t believe I missed Allen being let go. I just saw it. I think this was probably necessary. The Texas standard for baseball is very high and the program isn’t quite meeting that standard. It’s a gamble, but hopefully the right one. A&M turned things around fast and other programs were doing better than Texas. We will find out now whether Pierce is the right guy long term. 

• Hook 'Em 2

14 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

I can’t believe I missed Allen being let go. I just saw it. I think this was probably necessary. The Texas standard for baseball is very high and the program isn’t quite meeting that standard. It’s a gamble, but hopefully the right one. A&M turned things around fast and other programs were doing better than Texas. We will find out now whether Pierce is the right guy long term. 

What is your standard for Texas baseball? 

3 College World Series appearances in the last 4 seasons is tied for the most of any program with Arkansas. The standard for Texas baseball is getting to Omaha and Texas is doing that regularly. 

9 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Please Frank Anderson. 

If Texas doesn’t hire Anderson because of a price tag they need to get more serious about winning. 

Anderson would be a good hire, but I think there are guys a little bit more modern with everything that has changed in pitching the last 5-7 years who could also be more of an asset in recruiting.

Anderson is also 63 so I wonder how much he has left in the tank.

On 6/24/2022 at 7:02 PM, Rickylovesweed said:

What is your standard for Texas baseball? 

3 College World Series appearances in the last 4 seasons is tied for the most of any program with Arkansas. The standard for Texas baseball is getting to Omaha and Texas is doing that regularly. 

He’s speaking about pitching only and if you think that we are where we need to be in that category then that tells us all what we need to know.

2 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Anderson would be a good hire, but I think there are guys a little bit more modern with everything that has changed in pitching the last 5-7 years who could also be more of an asset in recruiting.

Anderson is also 63 so I wonder how much he has left in the tank.

If Texas gets 5 to 7 years out of Anderson it’s still a win. I can’t imagine there are many bigger names than Anderson. 

You can talk about being more “modern” but the results still speak for themselves at Tennessee. 

Just now, Rickylovesweed said:

I agree pitching wasn’t up to standard this year. 

Well, that’s what his “Standard” comment was about.  Even Pierce and, likely, CDC and a few big cigars all think that is not up to the Texas standard.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Rickylovesweed said:

If Texas gets 5 to 7 years out of Anderson it’s still a win. I can’t imagine there are many bigger names than Anderson. 

You can talk about being more “modern” but the results still speak for themselves at Tennessee. 

Fair. Again, I wouldn’t be upset at all if Anderson is hired.

Williams is a really interesting name to me. Someone I know who pitched at San Jac and then went on to pitch at Texas really, really liked Williams. Said he would be an excellent hire. 

2 minutes ago, Spaceman_Spiff said:

Stewart leaving is a blow. Either just completely didn’t have it or the staff/losing Allen driving a change. We’re not exactly stocked at pitcher and iirc this HS class doesn’t have any big name arms committed.

FWIW this is what he said on Stewart. We have several good HS arms committed but as usual with HS kids in baseball, they will need some development to fully maximize.

We will get more of an impact from the 3 juco pitchers we have coming in.

B9615878-8A5F-4D50-B945-C7839900FB83.thumb.png.92ae6cf50b217e746327ccd538eef510.png

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Cajun said:

Well, that’s what his “Standard” comment was about.  Even Pierce and, likely, CDC and a few big cigars all think that is not up to the Texas standard.

Yea, my biggest fear was people would be vocal about this standard even though pitching was still good but maybe not up to the Texas standard. Then we go around to hiring somebody that has nothing in their history that proves they can meet this Texas standard.

Frank Anderson isn’t in that category. The way that’s framed above the boosters don’t think Woody Williams is the Texas standard for hires and they’re right.

2 minutes ago, Cajun said:

exactly. Pierce knows why we got to Omaha 2 of the 3 times and both those times we went 2 and Q.  If I can see it I am sure a man who has spent his whole life coaching baseball can see it.  I'm glad he's not standing pat because he wants to win the CWS, not get there and get a plane flight home after 2 games.

the CWS championships should be flipped between USC and Texas.  we should have 12 and they should have 6. It is ime to hit the gas especially with NIL.

7 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Williams is a really interesting name to me. Someone I know who pitched at San Jac and then went on to pitch at Texas really, really liked Williams. Said he would be an excellent hire. 

get 4 years out of Frank and then he retires if he wants. 

15 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

If that person above knows anything it’s clear the boosters want a big hire with proven success at this level. 

I can’t say that I disagree. 

Edited by Rickylovesweed

1 minute ago, Rickylovesweed said:

If that Torre person knows anything it’s clear the boosters want a big hire with proven success at this level. 

I can’t say that I disagree. 

We’ll see. 

There’s still the Tulo cloud hanging over everything too. If he takes the USC gig then we have a full time assistant and volunteer gig open. So there would be several puzzle pieces to try to fit together.

4 minutes ago, UnhappilyMarried said:

It would be shocking if we could pull him. Tennessee is all in on baseball right now, can’t see them being out bid. And their staff is far and away the best in the country  while he’d be building from almost nothing here. 

I thought this with several football and basketball hires. Del Conte has proven he’s willing to spend on assistants. 

1 minute ago, Hookem2147 said:

Guess he didn’t see the need to continue as an assistant with his name out there and already being connected to P5 jobs. Just a matter if waiting for the right one now.

Yeah, he probably checked out USC and realized how big of an uphill battle it was  going to be. 

Or his heart isn’t in college baseball? 

The Tulo hire worked for 3 years so you would run it back but I’m not totally sure the Tulo and Street types are all in on college baseball. Let’s see what Tulo does in the next year. 

Making consulting money on your own clock after getting filthy rich in the pros is more desirable in a lot of ways than dealing with college baseball. 

5 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

The Tulo hire worked for 3 years so you would run it back but I’m not totally sure the Tulo and Street types are all in on college baseball. Let’s see what Tulo does in the next year. 

Making consulting money on your own clock after getting filthy rich in the pros is more desirable in a lot of ways than dealing with college baseball. 

Tulo was more invested than Street ever was. Can’t expect to hold onto volunteer assistants forever and if he’s getting head coaching interest then promoting him to a paid assistant probably isn’t moving the needle much either.

Just now, Horny Bull said:

This is not exactly a ringing endorsement of David Pierce.

It is if Tulo takes another assistant job somewhere. For all we know he doesn’t want to coach college baseball. 

When Street left after a year as a voluntary assistant the rumor is he wanted to do consulting and then he would get back into college coaching. Like I said above, I’m not sure how all in these types are after they make millions in the pros. 

Personally, I wouldn’t deal with the hassles of college baseball. 

1 minute ago, Hookem2147 said:

Tulo was more invested than Street ever was. Can’t expect to hold onto volunteer assistants forever and if he’s getting head coaching interest then promoting him to a paid assistant probably isn’t moving the needle much either.

He was more invested but these same rumors existed for Street. Wanted to step away for a year and then get back into the college game. 

Street is nowhere to be seen. When you’re filthy rich it’s tough to get excited over the hassles of college baseball when you can still coach on your own clock with consulting gigs. 

10 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

The second tweet indicates his heart is there,  he's just finished being with Texas. 

2 minutes ago, Dewey said:

The second tweet indicates his heart is there,  he's just finished being with Texas. 

I know what Kendall tweeted. Now let’s see if Tulo is coaching college baseball in a year. 

Like Street, I would not be surprised at all if Tulo says it’s not worth his time or effort.  

6 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

It is if Tulo takes another assistant job somewhere. For all we know he doesn’t want to coach college baseball. 

When Street left after a year as a voluntary assistant the rumor is he wanted to do consulting and then he would get back into college coaching. Like I said above, I’m not sure how all in these types are after they make millions in the pros. 

Personally, I wouldn’t deal with the hassles of college baseball. 

Sounds like he wants a year off to wait for a more competitive job to open. 

And that assistant spot sounds ripe for a 2nd pitching coach that can focus solely on pitchers and not recruiting.