2023 Texas Baseball

Fletch

22 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

How? Tough to make that judgment without additional context.

If he wants to stay in coaching, which I believe he does, what’s the point of taking a year off? By all accounts, he and his family love it here in Austin, and he’s just helped guide the program to back to back CWS appearances. This position is about as good as it gets for a waiting-for-a-good-head-coaching-spot-to-open assistant job. The way I see it, he doesn’t want to work for Pierce anymore.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Horny Bull said:

If he wants to stay in coaching, which I believe he does, what’s the point of taking a year off? By all accounts, he and his family love it here in Austin, and he’s just helped guide the program to back to back CWS appearances. This position is about as good as it gets for a waiting-for-a-good-head-coaching-spot-to-open assistant job. The way I see it, he doesn’t want to work for Pierce anymore.

He’s already head coach material. What’s the point of continuing in a volunteer role when you’ve proved you’ve belonged in the college game. Now he can just hang out on the lake til the right head coaching job comes open.

The LSU point above is why I’m not sold on Tulo being all in on college baseball. The top assistant job at LSU is one of the best non-head coaching positions in college baseball. It’s one of the best gigs in college baseball. 

Tulo has now turned down the USC head coaching job and arguably the top assistant position in the country. What is he waiting for? I know USC is a mess but still he’s turned down some great opportunities. 

Edited by Rickylovesweed

48 minutes ago, Horny Bull said:

The way I see it, he doesn’t want to work for Pierce anymore.

That's certainly a theory. 

If a Pac 12 job isn't good enough, especially one with fertile recruiting grounds, I am not sure what he is expecting. LSU or Stanford to just give some guy with no head coaching experience the keys to their respective programs? That's never going to happen. Doesn't sound like he wants to coach to me.

Edited by Valmy77

4 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

That's certainly a theory. 

If a Pac 12 job isn't good enough, especially one with fertile recruiting grounds, I am not sure what he is expecting. LSU or Stanford to just give some guy with no head coaching experience the keys to their respective programs? That's never going to happen. Doesn't sound like he wants to coach to me.

Agreed. 

He’s not going to do much better than USC or the top assistant job at LSU. 

Let's stop acting like USC or any pac 12 job in general is a huge deal in baseball. The UCSB coach just told them no as well. Tulo played in the biggest stadiums and in front of the biggest crowds for a decade then coached at the premiere baseball school in the country for 3. Why would he want to play in front of 500 people every night when he can take time off and wait for a major HC job in the south with his resume?

Here is where he would be coaching at home and traveling to in the pac 12. 

Spoiler

usc_trojans_dedeaux_field_baseball_stadium.jpg.2066392b328280382f05f183679c8784.jpg

Sunken_Diamond.jpg.2f6cecbd399cd300a36b38da7f9f2545.jpg

20150924_BBC_Recruiting_Photos_0083.jpg.280b0a3f3676dfea324aa7eeb387f8cc.jpg17_BSB_GossStadium_KM_1_.thumb.jpeg.0f1cd11787a6b4307a499934a0b39fcc.jpeg

In order that is USC, Stanford, UCLA, and the only best stadium by far in Oregon State

Meanwhile he has been coaching in stadiums like this against Big 12 and  SEC play. 

Spoiler

ufcu_disch_falk_field_houston2_p1404.thumb.jpg.ee204025a0844f682058f81b02a9c6ee.jpg

9318333.thumb.jpeg.dc727915eca6cba982fbc328b0268ddd.jpeg20220626_141114.thumb.jpg.0446e3f5c395f17774efb3ac66054592.jpg

_3TC7155.thumb.jpg.a770e27935b1e36eb366f9911fb5fdc7.jpg

DJI_0571_CC_SOCIAL.thumb.jpg.132881fc89d31ef2cf06865c41e246b7.jpg

amt-MbGx3mrQtY3NXNpo-image_handler-5.thumb.png.6b48b92db132ba136723a114bff0b59b.png

Even KU has a better stadium them most pac 12 

SB_Boyd_and_Jill_Smith_Family_Stadium_Aerial_Photos_6.jpg

Edited by Sir Ulrich
Updated Stanford

13 minutes ago, Sir Ulrich said:

Let's stop acting like USC or any pac 12 job in general is a huge deal in baseball. The UCSB coach just told them no as well. Tulo played in the biggest stadiums and in front of the biggest crowds for a decade then coached at the premiere baseball school in the country for 3. Why would he want to play in front of 500 people every night when he can take time off and wait for a major HC job in the south with his resume?

Here is where he would be coaching at home and traveling to in the pac 12. 

Hide contents

usc_trojans_dedeaux_field_baseball_stadium.jpg.2066392b328280382f05f183679c8784.jpgSB_Boyd_and_Jill_Smith_Family_Stadium_Aerial_Photos_6.thumb.jpg.34838c055a873e995054ef62699075a4.jpg20150924_BBC_Recruiting_Photos_0083.jpg.280b0a3f3676dfea324aa7eeb387f8cc.jpg17_BSB_GossStadium_KM_1_.thumb.jpeg.0f1cd11787a6b4307a499934a0b39fcc.jpeg

In order that is USC, Stanford, UCLA, and the only best stadium by far in Oregon State

Meanwhile he has been coaching in stadiums like this against Big 12 and  SEC play. 

Hide contents

ufcu_disch_falk_field_houston2_p1404.thumb.jpg.ee204025a0844f682058f81b02a9c6ee.jpg

9318333.thumb.jpeg.dc727915eca6cba982fbc328b0268ddd.jpeg20220626_141114.thumb.jpg.0446e3f5c395f17774efb3ac66054592.jpg

_3TC7155.thumb.jpg.a770e27935b1e36eb366f9911fb5fdc7.jpg

DJI_0571_CC_SOCIAL.thumb.jpg.132881fc89d31ef2cf06865c41e246b7.jpg

amt-MbGx3mrQtY3NXNpo-image_handler-5.thumb.png.6b48b92db132ba136723a114bff0b59b.png

Even KU has a better stadium them most pac 12 

The Stanford stadium is the softball field. Point still stands tho. 

• Hook 'Em 1

USC isn't a good job and there isn't great fan support but I'm not sure what type of job Tulo is expecting with 3 years of experience in a voluntary role. 

Like Valmy said, LSU and Stanford types aren't going to hire him. Probably not even a school a tier below those types. 

Maybe there's a good job that comes calling but it seems much more likely to me that Tulo simply isn't all that interested in coaching. We are all speculating of course. 

35 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

USC isn't a good job and there isn't great fan support but I'm not sure what type of job Tulo is expecting with 3 years of experience in a voluntary role. 

Like Valmy said, LSU and Stanford types aren't going to hire him. Probably not even a school a tier below those types. 

Maybe there's a good job that comes calling but it seems much more likely to me that Tulo simply isn't all that interested in coaching. We are all speculating of course. 

It's a possibility. Maybe interviewing at USC opened his eyes to everything that comes into being a head coach from managing the staff, recruiting, the portal, scheduling, budgeting, managing the scholarship limit, etc.

I do know that it was known for a while that this was going to be his last season at Texas. This isn't something new where he all of sudden decided he didn't want to return. I think he was done with the whole volunteer thing.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, Rickylovesweed said:

The LSU point above is why I’m not sold on Tulo being all in on college baseball. The top assistant job at LSU is one of the best non-head coaching positions in college baseball. It’s one of the best gigs in college baseball. 

Tulo has now turned down the USC head coaching job and arguably the top assistant position in the country. What is he waiting for? I know USC is a mess but still he’s turned down some great opportunities. 

lol, he was not moving his family to that armpit to be an assistant.

Just now, Goodman said:

lol, he was not moving his family to that armpit to be an assistant.

Maybe because I don't know enough about Tulo but you're kidding yourself if you don't think that's an attractive job for most. 

It pays well, it's at a baseball blue blood, and it's a good stepping stone to become a head coach. Both Fitzgerald and Kelly were hired at power 5 programs this year after 1 season at LSU. 

For most assistants a voluntary coaching role is not going to beat out LSU for one of those top 2 assistant spots. 

3 hours ago, Sir Ulrich said:

Why would he want to play in front of 500 people every night when he can take time off and wait for a major HC job in the south with his resume?

Because no such job is going to be offered. Your first HC is not going to be a major program in the south. But a HC job in the PAC 12 might not be the destination job, but it is a great first job and you have huge recruiting grounds and the potential to win, as UCLA and Arizona and Oregon State have all demonstrated recently. Don't you think LSU or Florida or Texas or whomever wouldn't hire a successful west coast? Because they do. That is how you get those major jobs, not sitting on your ass for a year. 

Or maybe you can name that major southern program who hired a former volunteer assistant who hasn't coached for a year to be their head coach if you think that is the plan?

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Maybe because I don't know enough about Tulo but you're kidding yourself if you don't think that's an attractive job for most. 

It pays well, it's at a baseball blue blood, and it's a good stepping stone to become a head coach. Both Fitzgerald and Kelly were hired at power 5 programs this year after 1 season at LSU. 

For most assistants a voluntary coaching role is not going to beat out LSU for one of those top 2 assistant spots. 

I agree with the logic but Tulo and his family are not your average ones trying to make it as a coach. I have zero doubt he loves it and he grinned here along with always being a company man for Pierce. I'm thankful for Tulo spending time here, it greatly helped Pierce and our program. Now Pierce has to show us that he's got "it". By it I mean matching our program expectations, winning some conference titles and winning the big one.

• Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

Or maybe you can name that major southern program who hired a former volunteer assistant who hasn't coached for a year to be their head coach if you think that is the plan?

They're almost all coaches with head coaching experience and certainly more than 3 years of experience as a volunteer assistant. 

Tulo is never going to get a high profile job unless he's willing to go the USC route or some other smaller school. As a multi-millionaire, let's see if he's willing to settle on a lower tier job because I'm willing to bet the answer is no. He will do his thing with baseball on the side while enjoying the good life. 

1 hour ago, Goodman said:

What’s this have to do with Tulo?

An MLB guy moving to the armpit for double his current salary, but really nothing to do with Tulo. Tulo denying the LSU assistant job had nothing to do with it being located in a shit hole. It goes with what @Rickylovesweedis saying, if Tulo really wanted to move up in the coaching world he would have taken the LSU job last year but he didn’t. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Valmy77 said:

Because no such job is going to be offered. Your first HC is not going to be a major program in the south. But a HC job in the PAC 12 might not be the destination job, but it is a great first job and you have huge recruiting grounds and the potential to win, as UCLA and Arizona and Oregon State have all demonstrated recently. Don't you think LSU or Florida or Texas or whomever wouldn't hire a successful west coast? Because they do. That is how you get those major jobs, not sitting on your ass for a year. 

By major I mean Power 5 in the south or even a solid mid major in the south. Rice just did it and you don't think a Baylor or Kentucky would hire Tulo with his resume? Oregon State is the Pac 12 anomaly amd they'll only continue to fall behind the other conferences in the arms race. I also don't see the west coast elites dropping NIL on baseball like all the south is. 

11 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

I understand Texas is losing a lot, but the reaction from some acting like we are the first program in the history of the world to have to replace 7 starters and our Friday night arm is weird.

Lots of teams are going to have tons of turnover this year thanks to the Covid year. Notre Dame had 8 graduates on its starting line up I think.

But it is true that this is a critical offseason for the program.

11 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

Lots of teams are going to have tons of turnover this year thanks to the Covid year. Notre Dame had 8 graduates on its starting line up I think.

But it is true that this is a critical offseason for the program.

No doubt, but every offseason is critical in the college game when you are turning over some form of the roster and bringing in a recruiting class. If we trust our coaches/programs ability to evaluate and develop talent (which they’ve shown they are able to do the first 6 years, even pre Tulo), we shouldn’t be freaked out about it.

The good programs figure it out. 

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 2

Re: what Wes Johnson is getting to go from the Twins to LSU. For reference, Allen was making between 200-250K from what I could find online (believe he and Miller got small raises after last year).

If we want to go get someone like Frank Anderson or a proven name it might take close to half a mil. I’m sure we can do it.

Thought Kash had a lot of potential and would have very much preferred to keep him, but he is another one, like Joshua Stewart, who played at a private high school against terrible competition. It showed in his limited plate appearances this year when it looked like he had never seen a breaking ball in his life.

• Hook 'Em 1

20 minutes ago, Horny Bull said:

Damn I was hoping for a breakout year from him next season. 

strange.  the position seems apparently wide open.   Infield is going to be interesting next year. replacing everything except 2B.

12 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

No doubt, but every offseason is critical in the college game when you are turning over some form of the roster and bringing in a recruiting class. If we trust our coaches/programs ability to evaluate and develop talent (which they’ve shown they are able to do the first 6 years, even pre Tulo), we shouldn’t be freaked out about it.

The good programs figure it out. 

This is especially true in college baseball. 

Ole Miss just won a national title replacing their entire starting pitching rotation. 

10 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

strange.  the position seems apparently wide open.   Infield is going to be interesting next year. replacing everything except 2B.

Maybe Skenes is a silent transfer.  A man can hope. 

1 minute ago, Hookem2147 said:

Kash checked out about Mid-April. There's a reason he left the team in the postseason to go play summer ball.

Probably playing time. 

It's a new day and age where freshman think they're entitled to playing time. Same thing happened in basketball with Jaylon Tyson. 

2 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Kash checked out about Mid-April. There's a reason he left the team in the postseason to go play summer ball.

Was he disappointed in his lack of playing time or something? Did he really think he should have been playing more than the best player in college baseball?

1 minute ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Probably playing time. 

It's a new day and age where freshman think they're entitled to playing time. Same thing happened in basketball with Jaylon Tyson. 

Just now, davi34 said:

Was he disappointed in his lack of playing time or something? Did he really think he should have been playing more than the best player in college baseball?

Pierce and co made some bad mental evals in the 2021 class. It's going to sting more because we only signed 9 guys. Stewart, McKinney and Kash are already in the portal.

Harrison and Whitehead might be the only guys you can count on from that class for any meaningful contribution.