2023 Texas Baseball

Fletch

3 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

We also thought we had All-American closer in Beau Ridgeway coming back and he completely flopped in 2018. It was impressive the way Pierce rebuild that roster and got to Omaha with a bunch a no-names in the bullpen.

Kody Clemens also was a jag on that 2017 team. Hit .241. And we all know what he did the next season. Didn't even need Tulo!

Here's to Daly being Kody Clemens II

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Kody Clemens also was a jag on that 2017 team. Hit .241. And we all know what he did the next season. Didn't even need Tulo!

Kody and Kacy were both bad until the end of their careers. 

A lot of people were pulling the nepotism card which is funny since both ended up being our best players in their final year.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, tx 3 putt said:

Rumors were they were offering Tulo more than that last season. This is what we should be doing with Frank Anderson. 

Edited by Rickylovesweed
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

I know you're joking but Daly was actually much better than Kody Clemens in his freshman year. 

Oh I know. It would just be nice to get 20+ jacks and .350 average out of our starting 2B next year.

speaking of Clemens I didn't realize he had made the big league club.  Congrats to him, big accomplishment.

Daly was the only hitter that regressed under Tulo. 

Not sure what happened. My opinion is the Disch was playing so small Daly tried to become more of a power hitter which wasn't who he was in 2021. He needs to get back to a short and compact swing that allowed him to hit .316 his freshman season. 

Daly will bounce back. Was looking at his stats earlier and his strikeout and walk numbers were almost identical to 2021 so I don't think it's his approach. His eye was still there it was just his timing with his swing. I bet he gets it ironed out and is hitting close to .300 next year.

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 1

It is a conundrum the way the Disch played this year and these juiced baseballs. Do you continue to build a team around power? The way it plays at the CWS I would much rather have a team that can get on base and find gaps. 

Give me as many Eric Kennedy, Antico, and Hodo types as you can find. 

It’s important to note that all four of those players had chances to perform and play their way into substantial roles on this team. There was more than enough opportunity to be a reliable guy out of the pen and the there were opportunities to get in the lineup with the injuries to Todd and EK along with Daly struggling and others going cold for small stretches. Aside from Nixon’s freshman campaign as the known quantity vs whatever is was he did this year all we are losing is the potential for one of them to be something great. A lot of these kids we recruit have the same if not better potential. If potential isn’t enough for us the portal along with JUCO routes provide known quantities.

This is not exactly true with respect to Kash. He started 4 games and played in 16. He had 26 plate appearances. The most difficult thing to do in sports is much more difficult when it’s done sporadically. In his other appearances, he batted no more than once. He had 5 college plate appearances prior to his first start against Tech a month into the season. That’s not a recipe for growth. Todd was relegated to DH so it’s not like Kash would take over for Daly or EK.

As for next year, it’s never been easier to replace players. For me, it’s more enjoyable to win with homegrown guys. Guys who come in and mature overcoming the highs and lows. If we win next year, it may be due to a ton of transfers. That’s where the game is.

My guess is that we’ll be just fine.
  • Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

Daly will bounce back. Was looking at his stats earlier and his strikeout and walk numbers were almost identical to 2021 so I don't think it's his approach. His eye was still there it was just his timing with his swing. I bet he gets it ironed out and is hitting close to .300 next year.

Agree. He was making decent contact, too. Just tweak it a bit and those fly outs turn into hits. 

Also - not sure what the team is going to look like next year - but put me in the camp of not wanting Texas baseball players that don't want to play baseball at Texas. I don't care how good you are. It shouldn't be hard to find guys that want to play for this program. Go find some and let's get back to work. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Revolution512 said:

You’re at the premier baseball program in the country with multiple opportunities to find a spot and you’re leaving. That says a lot about you as a player and person. Bye

Spot on.  You didn’t belong to begin with.  

Buh bye.

My boy played with Josh Stewart. Good enough kid, but let’s definitely note that aggy is going to be a MUCH better cultural fit.
And he was plenty good - the dozen MLB scouts there to watch him every time he pitched weren’t there for giggles. That said, he could throw some beautiful heat…and then start putting shit in the dirt every other pitch. Consistency was a serious issue. He had a lot of growing up to do, and his stats at Texas this year reflected that. I hope things work out for him.
Texted the boy about the transfer last night, and got back a quick “LMAO fucking classic.”

• Hook 'Em 3

Good insight.  

You don’t end up at programs like Texas & aggy & not have, at a minimum, raw talent.  

That said, this all screams, “Million dollar arm/glove/etc and a nickel head”.  

At least if some other SEC team wins it all next year he’ll be able to ride in the parade.

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

My boy played with Josh Stewart. Good enough kid, but let’s definitely note that aggy is going to be a MUCH better cultural fit.
And he was plenty good - the dozen MLB scouts there to watch him every time he pitched weren’t there for giggles. That said, he could throw some beautiful heat…and then start putting shit in the dirt every other pitch. Consistency was a serious issue. He had a lot of growing up to do, and his stats at Texas this year reflected that. I hope things work out for him.
Texted the boy about the transfer last night, and got back a quick “LMAO fucking classic.”

sixteen-candles-24-e1545053311221.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Seems like there’s some detail you’re leaving out about the text you sent him counselor.

Man I was hoping for good things from Kash. That being said, if he's hitting the portal now, with all the potential playing time he'd have in '23, then that means he's just pissy about '22. That's a whiny bitch right there and good riddance. Don't need that kind of attitude in the locker room. It infects other players. 

• Hook 'Em 4

14 minutes ago, NorthLoop said:

Man I was hoping for good things from Kash. That being said, if he's hitting the portal now, with all the potential playing time he'd have in '23, then that means he's just pissy about '22. That's a whiny bitch right there and good riddance. Don't need that kind of attitude in the locker room. It infects other players. 

Tend to agree.  There are a ton of reasons for going in the portal ranging from the "got my degree, let's see the world grad transfer," to buried on the depth chart, to being a prima donna.  This sure sounds like the last.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

That's exactly what it was. You don't transfer before the CWS unless you're being a bitch about playing time. I don't know what he was expecting with Ivan Melendez at 1B. 

The kid couldn't identify off-speed much less hit it, some of those AB's were horrid. Good luck to him but he wasn't exactly college ready. He can go be a project somewhere else if he doesn't want to be here.

• Hook 'Em 1

My guess is Tole had some type of arm issue because he was projected to be a major contributor and he wasn't. 

He also had a 2.25 and 3.77 ERA in his 2 years at Arkansas so it's not like he wasn't doing enough to justify more innings. It was limited innings but still it's very odd he wouldn't have received more work this year unless he had some type of injury. 

3 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

My guess is Tole had some type of arm issue because he was projected to be a major contributor and he wasn't. 

He also had a 2.25 and 3.77 ERA in his 2 years at Arkansas so it's not like he wasn't doing enough to justify more innings. It was limited innings but still it's very odd he wouldn't have received more work this year unless he had some type of injury. 

And almost all his work came in midweek games too. Threw once against Stanford early in the year and had one SEC appearance against A&M.

17 hours ago, Rickylovesweed said:

It is a conundrum the way the Disch played this year and these juiced baseballs. Do you continue to build a team around power? The way it plays at the CWS I would much rather have a team that can get on base and find gaps. 

Give me as many Eric Kennedy, Antico, and Hodo types as you can find. 

Pitching and defense WINS OMAHA (don't bring up the gorilla ball yrs). Learning and using small ball to manufacturing runs helps too.

4 hours ago, NorthLoop said:

He was 4 for 23 with 9 strike outs and was not exactly facing the most feared aces of College Baseball. He appeared in 16 games and started 4. When you are hitting 0.174 what are you expecting? Granted it was his first 23 at bats in College Baseball ever so it wasn't like we were expecting him to go 10 for 18 like Ace Whitehead but we are not a development league, we are here to win championships. Especially in 2022 where every team has a load of 5th and 6th year seniors you are not going to start much as a freshman, especially on a line up where everybody is hitting .300  or above for the most part. Now it could be he wants to go star for a smaller school and thinks that might be the best move. Sam Houston State or somebody. We'll see.

But also just because somebody enters the portal doesn't mean they are automatically gone. Sometimes they are just testing the waters or leaving their options open. I am not exactly sure how the rules around the portal works.

1 minute ago, Hookem2147 said:

Scouting report on Tole seems to be he doesn't throw super hard has good command of his stuff and a good slider.

In college I would almost rather have a guy with great control of his breaking stuff anyway. Make those guys get on base by consistently hitting a good slider. That is hard to do up and down a line up when nobody is walking or getting hit by pitch.

7 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Arkansas fans do not seem pleased. Sounds like they didn't even know he was in the portal. 

Given as little as he pitched this year, it wasn't a surprise to anyone who followed.  That said, he entered the portal and committed within about an hour.

9 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

I'm confused on why this guy didn't get more innings. Arkansas didn't have a very good staff this year. Didn't appear in a game after May 3rd. Feel like we are missing something.

Arkansas' team ERA was 16th in the country and the bullpen was the strength of the team.  For whatever reason, he just wasn't used or trusted this season.  Still a good add with nothing but upside.

Tole's WHIP is definitely pretty high (1.60) and batters hit .339 against him, which tells me he stranded a lot of runners considering his ERA is respectable. And most of his stats this year come from um...not great competition. 

You need these type of guys though who can throw strikes though and get you outs in games where you don't want to burn arms. Seems maybe a little Coy Cobb'ish.