2023 Texas Baseball

Fletch

52 minutes ago, DoubleQuarterPounder said:

This is pure wishcasting on the part of our fans. The slight chance he decides to not go to Tenn, it’s obvious his intentions are in the SEC. Better to let this one go already. Yes he’ll come here because we chanted USA at the end of the games haha.

Its more than that. At smaller programs high profile players usually take advice from their coaches on where to go. After the midweek and regional comments made by their coach about Pierce it makes perfect sense that he would push for Skenes to come here 

56 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

SS Trey Faltine- #162 *Didn't realize this until I was reading the article, but he had the second most strikeouts in NCAA D1 history this year. There are huge concerns about the swing and miss in his game*

And he still had an OPS of .945, an OB% of .393, and 15 HRs. That is some true outcomes hitting right there. It is kind of funny because the guy is pretty fast but he puts the ball in play less than 50% of his at bats.

Edited by Valmy77

Just now, Valmy77 said:

And he still had an OPS of .945, an OB% of .393, and 15 HRs. That is some true outcomes hitting right there.

Yep. They also mentioned he had an OPS below .600 in the Cape Cod last summer against a lot of good pitching so that might give teams some pause.

37 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

It's going to be a gut punch if all three of Bolte, Flores and Coffey don't make it to campus. These are the type of guys other programs have found a way to convince to go to school.

You sure? How many top draft picks have been convinced to go to school?

1 minute ago, Hookem2147 said:

Yep. They also mentioned he had an OPS below .600 in the Cape Cod last summer against a lot of good pitching so that might give teams some pause.

Well I would love to have him back, 100+ strikeouts a season and all.

1 hour ago, DoubleQuarterPounder said:

This is pure wishcasting on the part of our fans. The slight chance he decides to not go to Tenn, it’s obvious his intentions are in the SEC. Better to let this one go already. Yes he’ll come here because we chanted USA at the end of the games haha.

Again. No one is saying this but you. Tennessee troll?

WANTS TO BE IN THE SEC!!!!

5 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

You sure? How many top draft picks have been convinced to go to school?

Luken baker and an ocean of tcu dudes. An ocean of vandy boys. As crazy as it sounds, it was a miracle we got Cantu on campus. Yeah….

1 hour ago, DoubleQuarterPounder said:

How is that obvious? It could just be a coincidence as LSU and Tennessee are also good baseball programs. He might also consider us along with some other top programs.

I guess if he starts visiting Missouri and Kentucky next then I will be convinced he only wants SEC no matter who.

Edited by Valmy77

1 hour ago, Hookem2147 said:

So of my offseason portal check list:

Catcher- Done

Corner infielder- ?

1 OF (Maybe stretch to 2 if Hodo and Kennedy both leave)- ?

1 SP- ?

2-3 RP- 1 down, 1-2 to go

DC being able to play 3rd is super helpful. A lot easier to fill an outfield spot. 2 mashers, one for first one for dh. And we need 2 SPs, 1 being a Friday guy

Pierce taking a catcher makes me think we’re out of it. Skenes certainly could want to focus on pitching only, but I would say his value drops way off if that’s the case. We beat him up in the regional, I suspect that would happen frequently in a power conference. He was all American as a utility guy, not exclusively as a pitcher 

6 minutes ago, UnhappilyMarried said:

DC being able to play 3rd is super helpful. A lot easier to fill an outfield spot. 2 mashers, one for first one for dh. And we need 2 SPs, 1 being a Friday guy

Yeah, if we still had Kash I would say maybe corner infield isn’t a huge priority. But I would almost prefer Campbell to stay in the OF. Him and Whitehead out there can cover a ton of ground.

Of course this is all dependent on the draft too. If one of Coffey or Flores makes it to campus then maybe you can slide one of them in at 3rd. 1B is a huge question mark. Obviously Skenes is an easy answer there (when he’s not pitching), but we probably still need someone else.

Just now, UnhappilyMarried said:

Pierce taking a catcher makes me think we’re out of it. Skenes certainly could want to focus on pitching only, but I would say his value drops way off if that’s the case. We beat him up in the regional, I suspect that would happen frequently in a power conference. He was all American as a utility guy, not exclusively as a pitcher 

For the billionth time - Skenes wouldn't catch here. He'd pitch and DH. 

1 minute ago, UnhappilyMarried said:

See, I think the opposite way. His future seems to be on the mound to me. 95-96 standing at 6’6 with a frame that’s still filling out and can probably add more velo. I think we just had a good plan of attack against him. 

If I were Skenes, I wouldn’t want to catch anymore. Way too much wear and tear on the body. I want to DH or play 1B when I’m not on the mound.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Valmy77 said:

And he still had an OPS of .945, an OB% of .393, and 15 HRs. That is some true outcomes hitting right there. It is kind of funny because the guy is pretty fast but he puts the ball in play less than 50% of his at bats.

He has one swing plane and struggles to go opposite field. Great bat speed and strong but I dunno how he can hit above the Mendoza line at the next level.

Also @Fletch @immamac I’m in for baseball burnt ends.

• Hook 'Em 2

12 minutes ago, UnhappilyMarried said:

Skenes would never catch a single game here even if we didn’t get a catcher. 

21 minutes ago, UnhappilyMarried said:

I would like to see DC given a go as the 1st choice 3 bagger. Great great arm, power at the plate. Played SS in high school so hopefully a solid glove. Like you said so much easier to find OF

1 hour ago, hobbes2702 said:

I would like to see DC given a go as the 1st choice 3 bagger. Great great arm, power at the plate. Played SS in high school so hopefully a solid glove. Like you said so much easier to find OF

Don’t think DC wants to go back to IF now.  

2 hours ago, hobbes2702 said:

35 minutes ago, cochamps said:

Don’t think DC wants to go back to IF now.  

DC was given the opportunity to play 3B (likely at Pierce's request) and OF last Summer at Santa Barbara.   Fielded about .850 at 3B in just a few games.

He is back at Santa Barbara this Summer listed as OF.    That said,  he was a fairly highly rated shortstop (PG #12 State) in high school.

Luke Harrison and Alec Grossman are also at Santa Barbara.    Did Grossman portal  ?

2 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

See, I think the opposite way. His future seems to be on the mound to me. 95-96 standing at 6’6 with a frame that’s still filling out and can probably add more velo. I think we just had a good plan of attack against him. 

If I were Skenes, I wouldn’t want to catch anymore. Way too much wear and tear on the body. I want to DH or play 1B when I’m not on the mound.

@ChiTownDoc flex your balls and offer up Skenes one of those 500k watches ya got 

2 hours ago, hobbes2702 said:

He has one swing plane and struggles to go opposite field. Great bat speed and strong but I dunno how he can hit above the Mendoza line at the next level.

Also @Fletch @immamac I’m in for baseball burnt ends.

Oh and how can I forget. @Biff Tannen you in? Shit you probably profited off the last 12 years of Texas sports on that almanac you found 

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, torre said:

DC was given the opportunity to play 3B (likely at Pierce's request) and OF last Summer at Santa Barbara.   Fielded about .850 at 3B in just a few games.

He is back at Santa Barbara this Summer listed as OF.    That said,  he was a fairly highly rated shortstop (PG #12 State) in high school.

Luke Harrison and Alec Grossman are also at Santa Barbara.    Did Grossman portal  ?

At some point during the season, I thought a lineup shuffle could possibly entail moving DC t back to the IF.  His dad indicated that Dylan wasn’t excited at the prospect.  That might not preclude the move though.

1 hour ago, Fletch said:
3 hours ago, hobbes2702 said:

Oh and how can I forget. @Biff Tannen you in? Shit you probably profited off the last 12 years of Texas sports on that almanac you found 

I'm not disclosed to bespeak any such information to you, nor would I, even if I had said information you want, at this juncture be able.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

I'm not disclosed to bespeak any such information to you, nor would I, even if I had said information you want, at this juncture be able.

Yeah whatever just cough off a buck cheap ass

11 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

marginal recruiter, seems like a shit hire tbh

Your baseball takes are as bad as your football ones. He’s not here to be head coach. He’s gonna be our hitting coach. Baylor was a pretty good hitting squad under him and he’s got west coast connections for recruiting. Pierce is going all Saban. Hiring former head coaches as assistants. I love it 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Fletch said:

Your baseball takes are as bad as your football ones. He’s not here to be head coach. He’s gonna be our hitting coach. Baylor was a pretty good hitting squad under him and he’s got west coast connections for recruiting. Pierce is going all Saban. Hiring former head coaches as assistants. I love it 

Similar personality to Pierce and players at baylor didn't care for him.....rumors of turmoil in the Texas locker room this year as well....adding another coach that players may not care for isn't a good recipe.

13 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Similar personality to Pierce and players at baylor didn't care for him.....rumors of turmoil in the Texas locker room this year as well....adding another coach that players may not care for isn't a good recipe.

Where are you hearing this from? People that are reliable or guys that were on the end of the bench at Baylor?

And who cares what the locker room dynamics were this year. This team overcame a crap ton of adversity so I have a really tough time believing anything in the locker room was outside the ordinary ups and downs you see over the course of a season. If it was that bad you don't make it to Omaha.

Over half the roster is graduating, heading to the draft or already portal'd. Won't even be the same guys on the team next year. If the turmoil was so bad and kids hated the hire so much, the portal is right there. There is nothing stopping players from leaving. They have all the power.

Edited by Hookem2147

6 minutes ago, Js1 said:

I’ve said previously I’d be in for $50 a month to cover multiple sports - Burnt Ends, Baseball Butts, Beards Boy’s, volleyball, softball.  Spread it where it needs to go 

3 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

I can do $50 a month.  🤘

@immamac @RGBIII 

1 hour ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Yeah you’re full of shit. Went to Omaha and there was turmoil in the locker room. Gtfo and go be wrong on the football and recruiting board, dumbass