2023 Texas Baseball

Fletch

1 minute ago, dcar00 said:

slightly underwhelmed but if Anderson and Childress said no then I'm not sure there were a lot of other obvious options.  poaching an SEC PC would have been nice just to hurt another team but I'm sure that wouldn't be easy.

the only thing about comparing this to Skip is that he was at Navarro for 12 years and as HC also.

Williams should be able to recruit.  San Jac has usually been good to us so there is that.  Hope it works out.

I mean that is what Texas should always do. Make the best in the country say no, then go get the best that will say yes.

We'll see how it goes. Still one more coach to get though right? The volunteer guy.

14 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

I mean that is what Texas should always do. Make the best in the country say no, then go get the best that will say yes.

We'll see how it goes. Still one more coach to get though right? The volunteer guy.

image.jpeg.d33b5aac0f733fa60baad42f77f6ded6.jpeg

2 hours ago, Fletch said:

Y’all are nuts. We just hired a great hitting and pitching coach after going to Omaha 3 of the last 4 years. More assistants are on the way too. And hopefully our overlords get that baseball NIL set up so we can do our part.

name 5 other coaches you’d rather have than Pierce right now 

I hope you’re right.

5 minutes ago, Goodman said:

I hope you’re right.

I mean Pierce has done a great job with here with dudes like Phil Haig and Sean Allen (who was above average to good). If this guy is great to elite along with Rodriguez and Pierce being an all around badass coach, I think we’re about to go on a 2000-2011 type tear 

• Hook 'Em 1

14 hours ago, Hammerin Hank said:

Alaniz would be great as an assistant, but he has 2 kids. I doubt he could afford to support his family as a volunteer assistant. I don’t see it happening until he can get a paid role

They make their money running the camps and giving lessons.  I knew a guy at Rice that was pulling 100k plus as the unpaid assistant.

• Hook 'Em 1

14 hours ago, Fletch said:

Y’all are nuts. We just hired a great hitting and pitching coach after going to Omaha 3 of the last 4 years. More assistants are on the way too. And hopefully our overlords get that baseball NIL set up so we can do our part.

name 5 other coaches you’d rather have than Pierce right now 

Corbin

Schlossnagle

Van Horn

Vitello.  Do not like him but the dude can coach

Bakich.  Getting Michigan to the CWS is amazing

Jarrett.  same as Bakich.  Think he will be great at FSU

Casey if you could pull him from retirement

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, 66BUFF said:

Corbin

Schlossnagle

Van Horn

Schloss - Lulz

Vitello - Absolutely not. This is Texas.

Bakich - I mean I guess. He certainly doesn’t have the success DP has.

Jarrett - Same as Bakich

None of those guys have the skins on the wall that DP does other than Schloss, Corbin, Van Horn. This list is nonsense 

Edited by hobbes2702
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, 66BUFF said:

Corbin

Schlossnagle

Van Horn

Yeah what Hobbes said. Vitello? Really? And Van Horn has been at arky for like 20 years. No national titles. And gtfo with Schloss

• Like 1

Vitello is a dick, but tbh, I’ve thought Texas should embrace those coaches who don’t mind playing/being villains. Everyone already hates us, the coaching attitude should match our reputation. Big bad Texas with that guy’s personality at the helm? Woof. 

Was also why I was not opposed to someone like Lane Kiffin to replace Herman.  Embrace being the big bad guy of college sports.  We need a Darth Vader to really get this Death Star of a program going.  

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Js1 said:

Vitello is a dick, but tbh, I’ve thought Texas should embrace those coaches who don’t mind playing/being villains. Everyone already hates us, the coaching attitude should match our reputation. Big bad Texas with that guy’s personality at the helm? Woof. 

Was also why I was not opposed to someone like Lane Kiffin to replace Herman.  Embrace being the big bad guy of college sports.  We need a Darth Vader to really get this Death Star of a program going.  

I’d be cool with Kiffin. Vitello? Fuck no. Our baseball program has a standard. Elite pitching and defense while winning with class. Been that way for 100 years. Let’s keep it that way 

• Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, zlavydra said:

How about GA State guy? @Wulaw Horn

I don’t know man. I think he’s going to do really well there but the end of the season was a big disappointment. He had then poised to be in a regional (which is an incredible accomplishment from where they were when he took over) and it all went to shit in the last month. 
I’ve got high hopes for next year. 
but Texas probably shouldn’t hire anyone that isn’t literally already killing it somewhere in a big job. 

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, DoneWithit said:

Is Texas really hated the same way people hated Tennessee this year? 

No. 

The hate for us is that we are successful over the long haul and do it with class. We were even copied this year by a few teams (rivals) of not dog piling before Omaha.

Tennessee's hate is due to them taking on the personality of their coach. And Vitello ( while successful right now), is an Asshole. That demeanor won't fly here and it shouldn't. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, DoneWithit said:

Is Texas really hated the same way people hated Tennessee this year? 

As a university? Yes. As a baseball team? Absolutely not. This years Tennessee team may be the biggest collection of low rent cocksuckers I’ve ever seen. Just unreal how big of dickheads they were this year. Keep it up, fuck heads. The “real UT” is coming and we’re showing your worthless fucking asses what dominance really looks like

Same goes to you pig, aggy, lsu, the Mississippi schools and the vandy boys. Can’t wait to win the SEC our first year there 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, BillyGoatHill said:

No. 

The hate for us is that we are successful over the long haul and do it with class. We were even copied this year by a few teams (rivals) of not dog piling before Omaha.

Tennessee's hate is due to them taking on the personality of their coach. And Vitello ( while successful right now), is an Asshole. That demeanor won't fly here and it shouldn't. 

Right, I always viewed Texas the same way. Never thought of us as a villain, just a well respected and successful program that everyone try’s really hard to beat. Football may be a little different though. 

1 hour ago, Fletch said:

Where the fuck have you been!?!?!? 

Trying to wrap my head around hiring an assistant coach covered with Baylor stench. To his credit, Rodriguez seems like a decent dude, but has he shown sufficient hitting coaching prowess? I do like the Woody Williams hire though.

17 hours ago, petscii said:

They were trying to run Augie off before he got to Omaha in year 5.  They also restarted with the DUI bullshit.  So they've always been here.  Stupid is constant I guess.

All of this.  

Pierce is not a Burnt Orange "made man" yet, but he's far from on "borrowed time".

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, zlavydra said:

Trying to wrap my head around hiring an assistant coach covered with Baylor stench. To his credit, Rodriguez seems like a decent dude, but has he shown sufficient hitting coaching prowess? I do like the Woody Williams hire though.

Yes he has 

2018D4F37124-5B69-47DA-9712-C33C8F92AAC8.thumb.jpeg.24d10192c6517124365619394154e76a.jpeg

2019FA06EA16-8DB5-4501-A5B9-CD3629AEC2C4.thumb.jpeg.46eb0072542186f24b86e2f656649bc1.jpeg

20219D5C76A2-CC04-4CB4-A3DE-4AC77F190151.thumb.jpeg.16235e5f41814dcfb8cb81d6e81ab249.jpeg

And 20222614F172-86A3-4A22-840A-CA4EFF1BE9E5.thumb.jpeg.013a0437c11f679f4dc4c86f0471543f.jpeg

Yeah. Him and Pierce teamed up are gonna put together some filthy fucking lineups

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Cajun said:

All of this.  

Pierce is not a Burnt Orange "made man" yet, but he's far from on "borrowed time".

Personally, I love these 2 hires and we’re probably adding a couple more volunteer types. Pierce has been nails with transfers during his tenure here so I’m not worried about our roster next year. Also can’t wait till we get the baseball Burnt Endz deal goin. 

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

Beard is good at this. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

It’s not about playing or being the villain. It’s that a coach like that keeps his teams too close to the edge and that’s not a great recipe for success against well coached baseball teams. There’s a reason the two best guys ever at this kept their guys level headed 99% of the time.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, ztejas said:

Beard is good at this. 

Yeah and honestly I wish we had Kiffin. That’d be fun as fuck. As far as Vitello goes? Fuckkk that!!!!! He’s the absolute worst representation of baseball like ever. He doesn’t deserve to be on the diamond. Honestly surprised he’s not a cop given his temperament and douchebag entitlement 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

It’s not about playing or being the villain. It’s that a coach like that keeps his teams too close to the edge and that’s not a great recipe for success against well coached baseball teams. There’s a reason the two best guys ever at this kept their guys level headed 99% of the time.

Yeah. One of the many reasons I really like Pierce. Keeps his cool and represents and respects the shit out of Texas baseball. The way it should be. We don’t need fuckheads like vitello teaching our players to bitch, flip off opponents all while he’s throwing shit on the field and whatnot. Just fuck that guy. Can’t wait to whip his ass in the sec  

• Hook 'Em 1

I can understand if people are frustrated with Pierce, but talking about who you’d rather have is fanciful. The quick exit in Omaha - to Aggie no less - leaves an extremely bitter taste in the mouth. The constant base running gaffes and some head scratching managerial decisions are not fun to put up with. But the dude is making the CWS with amazing regularity. He just fired his right hand man because the level of success the program is enjoying right now isn’t good enough for Pierce. Letting go of Allen was an incredible statement regarding Pierce’s drive to win it all. 

I hated the hiring process that ended up bringing Pierce to Texas but he’s ended up being a good hire. As long as he keeps making that trip to Omaha he’s not going anywhere, and frankly, he shouldn’t. Shoot, Texas is one of the few places - if not the only place - where a coach could get fired for making the Super Regionals year after year. But even at Texas he’s not getting dismissed if he keeps racking up CWS appearances. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

Just now, SL Xpress said:

I can understand if people are frustrated with Pierce, but talking about who you’d rather have is fanciful. The quick exit in Omaha - to Aggie no less - leaves an extremely bitter taste in the mouth. The constant base running gaffes and some head scratching managerial decisions are not fun to put up with. But the dude is making the CWS with amazing regularity. He just fired his right hand man because the level of success the program is enjoying right now isn’t good enough for Pierce. Letting go of Allen was an incredible statement regarding Pierce’s drive to win it all. 

I hated the hiring process that ended up bringing Pierce to Texas but he’s ended up being a good hire. As long as he keeps making that trip to Omaha he’s not going anywhere, and frankly, he shouldn’t. Shoot, Texas is one of the few places - if not the only place - where a coach could get fired for making the Super Regionals year after year. But even at Texas he’s not getting dismissed if he keeps racking up CWS appearances. 

And I think he’s done a fantastic job with these assistant hires and we know he’s going to kill it in the portal. And the dudes he hired can recruit too. Good times ahead, dudes

I have a question: how substantial was losing drew bishop from the ops staff a while back? It seemed to me like he was a real asset to the players and the program as a whole. I think I remember several players mentioning him specifically when asked about why they chose Texas. Surely program prestige and tradition were top of mind, but it was interesting to see him acknowledged.

I know we heard a lot of similar things said about bryan carrington in football, which was sort of overblown. Was that the case with bishop as well? 

I’m hopeful that pierce and this remade staff can eventually put together another class like ‘19, but I do think dp prioritized player development over recruiting ability in his search. I’m cool with that.

Pierce has won three out of four Regionals and three out of three Super Regionals. That is how you keep your job at Texas.

Obviously 3-6 at the CWS is a concern. We'll see if his new staff can do better. He has to rebuild/reload this year but the standard is the same: nothing less than Omaha is a success.

Pierce was exceeded my expectations I had when he was hired, when I thought he was probably just a transition figure. But he has a pretty good shot of having his bust in front of the park with the other four guys. He needs to keep making it to Omaha and turn a few of those trips into titles.

Edited by Valmy77

3 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

Pierce has won three out of four Regionals and three out of three Super Regionals. That is how you keep your job at Texas.

Obviously 3-6 at the CWS is a concern. We'll see if his new staff can do better. He has to rebuild/reload this year but the standard is the same: nothing less than Omaha is a success.

3-6 but 4 of those losses are from teams that you could argue really shouldn't have gotten there. 

5 minutes ago, ztejas said:

3-6 but 4 of those losses are from teams that you could argue really shouldn't have gotten there. 

2018 were Big 12 champs, why shouldn't they have gotten there? 2022 had the best player in baseball. Both teams were perfectly capable of getting hot and going on a run in Omaha, they just didn't. Pierce has to figure out how to work that Omaha voodoo much like Augie was a master of.

Edited by Valmy77

1 hour ago, Valmy77 said:

2018 were Big 12 champs, why shouldn't they have gotten there? 2022 had the best player in baseball. Both teams were perfectly capable of getting hot and going on a run in Omaha, they just didn't. Pierce has to figure out how to work that Omaha voodoo much like Augie was a master of.

2018 had no business being there. Remember our bullpen? Jake McKenzie starting at first? 

This last year we had the hitting to win it all. Gordon, Hansen and stevens just weren’t gonna get it done up there this year. Maybe if Witt didn’t get injured but whatever. Really looking forward to the new pitching coach. Think Pierce just found his skip 

2 hours ago, SamMan said:

I have a question: how substantial was losing drew bishop from the ops staff a while back? It seemed to me like he was a real asset to the players and the program as a whole. I think I remember several players mentioning him specifically when asked about why they chose Texas. Surely program prestige and tradition were top of mind, but it was interesting to see him acknowledged.

I know we heard a lot of similar things said about bryan carrington in football, which was sort of overblown. Was that the case with bishop as well? 

I’m hopeful that pierce and this remade staff can eventually put together another class like ‘19, but I do think dp prioritized player development over recruiting ability in his search. I’m cool with that.

As the Director of Operations,  Drew served as a liaison with the recruits insuring they were welcomed, logistics provided, met with their parents, etc and was well liked by current and former players.    His departure completed the purge of former staff members seemingly a Pierce goal.   Everyone was replaced including Vinny,  the equipment manager.    Don't know, all  most likely at Pierce's behest.    Departure did not really affect recruiting because to a large extent,  Texas Baseball recruits itself.

Drew is at Five Tool Baseball in Keller.   Five Tool is a Nation wide organizatiion that sponsors tournaments and showcases for players to showcase their talent in hopes of playing at the next level.    As much as he loved Texas Baseball,  not sure he would have voluntarily taken that job.    That said,  he is from the Metroplex and there may have been family obligations.

• Hook 'Em 2

re: coaching pitchers.  I caught a glimpse of the new pitching coach news and was trying to remember the names of the Houston players that drove us crazy over the years.  Larry Coker was the one I saw in person, just nearly single handedly beat us in a regional.  He had the famous rubber arm, and then his teammate-I couldn't think of his name and of all of a sudden it hit me, Rayner Noble?  Dude was a total PITA to us....then in many years later I am thinking of Woody Williams.  Was he the dude who came in from center field or shortstop to pitch against us in the super-regional?  Junk ball pitcher to the extreme?  Dang, if UH ever had a whole team of Cokers, Nobles and Williams they would have won the CWS, no doubt in my mind.  Kind of like the old TCU comment made by DKR about the cockroaches.  

2 minutes ago, JGrayDBU said:

re: coaching pitchers.  I caught a glimpse of the new pitching coach news and was trying to remember the names of the Houston players that drove us crazy over the years.  Larry Coker was the one I saw in person, just nearly single handedly beat us in a regional.  He had the famous rubber arm, and then his teammate-I couldn't think of his name and of all of a sudden it hit me, Rayner Noble?  Dude was a total PITA to us....then in many years later I am thinking of Woody Williams.  Was he the dude who came in from center field or shortstop to pitch against us in the super-regional?  Junk ball pitcher to the extreme?  Dang, if UH ever had a whole team of Cokers, Nobles and Williams they would have won the CWS, no doubt in my mind.  Kind of like the old TCU comment made by DKR about the cockroaches.  

That’s fucking nuts. I’m sure the dude is more than ready for the challenge. Can’t wait to see who he gets to campus and develops 

1 hour ago, Fletch said:

2018 had no business being there. Remember our bullpen? Jake McKenzie starting at first? 

This last year we had the hitting to win it all. Gordon, Hansen and stevens just weren’t gonna get it done up there this year. Maybe if Witt didn’t get injured but whatever. Really looking forward to the new pitching coach. Think Pierce just found his skip 

I remember but we are comparing ourselves to some platonic dominant Omaha. Most teams in Omaha and College Baseball have weaknesses and issues.

As the Director of Operations,  Drew served as a liaison with the recruits insuring they were welcomed, logistics provided, met with their parents, etc and was well liked by current and former players.    His departure completed the purge of former staff members seemingly a Pierce goal.   Everyone was replaced including Vinny,  the equipment manager.    Don't know, all  most likely at Pierce's behest.    Departure did not really affect recruiting because to a large extent,  Texas Baseball recruits itself.
Drew is at Five Tool Baseball in Keller.   Five Tool is a Nation wide organizatiion that sponsors tournaments and showcases for players to showcase their talent in hopes of playing at the next level.    As much as he loved Texas Baseball,  not sure he would have voluntarily taken that job.    That said,  he is from the Metroplex and there may have been family obligations.

I thought Bishop left for family reasons. Wanted to be closer to family?

I thought Bishop left for family reasons. Wanted to be closer to family?

1 hour ago, Valmy77 said:

I remember but we are comparing ourselves to some platonic dominant Omaha. Most teams in Omaha and College Baseball have weaknesses and issues.

Yeah but both the 2018 and 2022 team were maxed out. Shit I think the 2017 team could’ve done some damage in Omaha. Same with 2020 if the season happened. 

Whatever. We’re about to have a badass lineup and a pitching coach that hopefully gets us back to elite status on the mound 

18 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

If Pierce was so hellbent on running people off, he probably wouldn’t haven’t waited 6 years to do it.

He danced with what brought em then slowly improved damn near every year. Got got rid of Haig, Allen, Tulo bailed but I think he’s thrown together a bitch of a staff