2023 Texas Baseball

Fletch

30 minutes ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

TBD.

I mean Rodriguez is no tulo but he’s a bitch of a hitting coach, Pierce is a good hitting coach too and based on Woodys track record at San jac, I feel like we got s significant upgrade. Not to mention this staff is gonna be absurd on the recruiting trail 

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Where are you seeing this? 

Seriously. Did he apply for waiver or something? If so, holy shit. Land Skenes and we got Stehly in right, Campbell at 3rd, O’Dowd at short, salt at 2nd, Skenes at first and Guillemette behind the plate. Then hopefully Kennedy back in left and holy shit we’re loaded. Especially with the San jac dude Woody is gonna bring with him and that arky dude. Been a great off-season so far 

6 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Fuck Chip Brown but he did say several players that were expected to leave were thinking about returning a couple days ago. 

I’d guess Stehly if he can. Kennedy, Southard, hodo, faltine and Silas in roughly that order. Wonder if there’s any chance at all Hansen comes back. Another year under a badass pitching coach could do him wonders. The dude would constantly jump out to 0-2 and 1-2 then give up a hit, walk or hit the batter. If he can develop an “out pitch”, he’d be untouchable. Maybe he pulls a stevens and wants to win it all. And yeah I’m high so you know. Stranger shit has happened though 

3 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I'm not sure that ig post is confirmation of anything. I'd like to believe. 

Maybe he just wasn't done crushing puss. And XBHs. 

Idk dude it’s cryptic yeah but has that “I ain’t done yet!” Feel to it 

Murph back would be huge... Might have been someone on here who posed the question but can you remember a more under-appreciated season than the one Murph just had in Ivan’s shadow?

Hodo is getting 7-10th round grades which I’m guessing will be high enough for him given he already graduated and I don’t think there are any glaring holes in his game that he could fix coming back for one more.

Would be shocked if Silas is back.  He’s going to go top 5 rounds easy and I hope he gets a nice, well earned payday. 

Biggest wildcard in my mind is Trey.  I think he could gain most from coming back.  The tools alone get him drafted but the K issue is the elephant in the room.  If he can come back, keep slugging, and cut the k-rate to even ~25-30%, he’s probably going in the 2nd round next draft.  

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, 40acredropout said:

Murph back would be huge... Might have been someone on here who posed the question but can you remember a more under-appreciated season than the one Murph just had in Ivan’s shadow?

Hodo is getting 7-10th round grades which I’m guessing will be high enough for him given he already graduated and I don’t think there are any glaring holes in his game that he could fix coming back for one more.

Would be shocked if Silas is back.  He’s going to go top 5 rounds easy and I hope he gets a nice, well earned payday. 

Biggest wildcard in my mind is Trey.  I think he could gain most from coming back.  The tools alone get him drafted but the K issue is the elephant in the room.  If he can come back, keep slugging, and cut the k-rate to even ~25-30%, he’s probably going in the 2nd round next draft.  

First paragraph, you’re talking about me haha. Man idk. I really think if hodo came back another year he can improve that draft grade to the 3rd or so round. He has Drew Stubbs type of athleticism. Shorten his swing some and I think he can be a true .375 type with 15-20 homers. A year like that and he could sneak into the 2nd maybe. 

I’m assuming Kennedy is back. I’m curious about Southard. If he comes back, he could be a weekend starter and raise his draft stock to the top 3-4 rounds. And man, I think Cobb has another year if he wants it. Personally I’d love to have him back. Strike thrower and I’d like to see what this new pitching coach can do with him. 

Fuckin shit, with what sark and beard are doing while Pierce is cleaning up as well, holy fuck we’re about to tear shit up. Can’t wait 

11 minutes ago, 40acredropout said:

I don't think Trey has much to gain. Even with the K rate he still had a really nice season at the plate. Sure he could come back and hit .315 with a 1.100 OPS but he could also come back and just have a similar season and then he's done nothing but get a year older. It's not like he can really get any better on D, either. 

The only way I think he returns is if he falls way late in the draft but I feel like someone is going to snatch him. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, ztejas said:

I don't think Trey has much to gain. Even with the K rate he still had a really nice season at the plate. Sure he could come back and hit .315 with a 1.100 OPS but he could also come back and just have a similar season and then he's done nothing but get a year older. It's not like he can really get any better on D, either. 

The only way I think he returns is if he falls way late in the draft but I feel like someone is going to snatch him. 

Yeah he’s not hitting better than .310 and 15 or whatever homers he hit this year. Same with Silas. Both are MLB level defensively with good enough bats. With the right coaching, they could both turn into at the least platoon guys. I could easily see both of them being starters though. And yeah no doubt Ivan is gonna be a starter. Wouldn’t surprise me if he wins rookie of the year and mvp a few years down the line 

9 hours ago, Fletch said:

Stupid question but does Cobb have another year left?

Has a covid year and has never used a redshirt, I wonder if he could play 2 more years?  Downside is he just turned 23 in June so he might want to get on with life.

Man, one of dudes I’m worried about is Southard. I think he might benefit the most from a new pitching coach if he returns. Has closer type stuff. If you gave me the choice between Southard coming back or someone like Kennedy, I’d probably lean Southard.

Edited by Hookem2147

22 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

Whitehead has not shown any power

I never considered Kennedy a consistent power threat against good pitching. Did not have an extra base hit in his 44 postseason AB’s in the big 12 tournament and ncaa tournament.

I’d welcome Kennedy back if he wanted to return. I just don’t think he’s a special missing piece for next year. It would be interesting if we had a lineup with Kennedy, Campbell and whitehead. Could do a lot of damage on the basepaths.

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 1

36 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

I never considered Kennedy a consistent power threat against good pitching. Did not have an extra base hit in his 44 postseason AB’s in the big 12 tournament and ncaa tournament.

I’d welcome Kennedy back if he wanted to return. I just don’t think he’s a special missing piece for next year. It would be interesting if we had a lineup with Kennedy, Campbell and whitehead. Could do a lot of damage on the basepaths.

Agreed.  We did damage in 2021 on the basepaths, but kind of let that go this year (granted Jersey Mike was gone).  Running can be a huge distraction to most college pitchers.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

Man, one of dudes I’m worried about is Southard. I think he might benefit the most from a new pitching coach if he returns. Has closer type stuff. If you gave me the choice between Southard coming back or someone like Kennedy, I’d probably lean Southard.

Yeah really hope he comes back. Would also like to see if Cobb can put it together under a new pitching coach

2 hours ago, cochamps said:

Agreed.  We did damage in 2021 on the basepaths, but kind of let that go this year (granted Jersey Mike was gone).  Running can be a huge distraction to most college pitchers.

Ek missing most of the year really hurt on that front

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, hobbes2702 said:

Hopefully neither. DH

IIRC he was solid at 3rd in 2020 before the season got cancelled. Or was he at 2nd? Regardless I think he can round out the infield and put Campbell in right with Kennedy in left and hopefully hodo in center 

21 minutes ago, zlavydra said:

Following in the footsteps of the legendary Dalton Porter.

Gonna be beautiful watching him lose his shit at our breaking stuff when we play em in Austin next year 

Edited by Fletch
  • Hook 'Em 3

23 hours ago, torre said:

As the Director of Operations,  Drew served as a liaison with the recruits insuring they were welcomed, logistics provided, met with their parents, etc and was well liked by current and former players.    His departure completed the purge of former staff members seemingly a Pierce goal.   Everyone was replaced including Vinny,  the equipment manager.    Don't know, all  most likely at Pierce's behest.    Departure did not really affect recruiting because to a large extent,  Texas Baseball recruits itself.

Drew is at Five Tool Baseball in Keller.   Five Tool is a Nation wide organizatiion that sponsors tournaments and showcases for players to showcase their talent in hopes of playing at the next level.    As much as he loved Texas Baseball,  not sure he would have voluntarily taken that job.    That said,  he is from the Metroplex and there may have been family obligations.

Thanks. I remembered seeing the announcement he posted about the move, but I hadn’t kept up with who filled his position.

11 minutes ago, SamMan said:

Was it Kash’s first collegiate pa where he yelled at the pitcher to “throw a fucking strike” after being hit? That’s ironically what I’ll remember him for.

I’ll remember him getting tied up on off speed 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

Are we sure Todd doesn’t have a year left.  I bet he could  stay healthy for a full season with just one more try,.

That would be nuts and I’m all for having a 25 year old on the roster. Talk about senior leadership 

4 minutes ago, ztejas said:

What's that sign in the dugout say? The winning tradition of the University of Texas will not be entrusted to the weak and timid?

Hope he enjoys not playing in Omaha and finishing 4th in conference. But hey!!! He’ll put up monster numbers. Till we shut his ass down when those fucks come to Austin