2023 Texas Baseball

Fletch

26 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

7th round pick with only one year of eligibility left? Yeah you leave at that point.

Loved having him on the team. Wonder if he will still stare down pitchers who plunk him in the minors.

Melendez only had a year left and upped his stock 13 rounds?  I realize that Trey isn't likely to win the Golden Spikes and National Player of the Year but he could definitely benefit from cutting down his strike outs.

1 minute ago, Cousin Strawberry said:

Melendez only had a year left and upped his stock 13 rounds?  I realize that Trey isn't likely to win the Golden Spikes and National Player of the Year but he could definitely benefit from cutting down his strike outs.

I mean I hope he comes back and works on his strike outs and tries for the big pay day.

But he also loses his leverage and there is no guarantee you have a better season or don't get injured or something.

We'll see but I will be very happily shocked if he comes back.

With the NIL factor I would hope that it would make sense for any player not drafted in the top 10 rounds to come back.  I would think at least Kennedy would be back.

So Thomas, Daly, Flores, and O’Dowd on the infield and Kennedy, Campbell, and Whitehead in the outfield, with the USC transfer at catcher.  Probably need at least one really good transfer bat.

1 hour ago, Snake Diggity said:

With the NIL factor I would hope that it would make sense for any player not drafted in the top 10 rounds to come back.  I would think at least Kennedy would be back.

So Thomas, Daly, Flores, and O’Dowd on the infield and Kennedy, Campbell, and Whitehead in the outfield, with the USC transfer at catcher.  Probably need at least one really good transfer bat.

I think the max signing bonus you can get after 10 rounds is 125K (which most organizations give unless you are a college senior). I’m just not sure there are 6 figure NIL deals floating around in college baseball. Maybe for someone like Melendez but that can’t be the norm. 

I think for someone like Kennedy the fact he is going to be 23 in a few months and already has his degree is going to play a role. If he has any sort of professional dreams he probably needs to start the clock now. If he comes back next year he is a redshirt senior and his leverage is gone. He could have an amazing season and will still get a 5K signing bonus next summer.

Edited by Hookem2147

As stated above,  Kennedy has graduated (Corporate Communications) has been an outstanding student and has  a bright future.    LHF had him endorse a fund raising effort for the academic side.

Unless he pursues a grad degree,  will be surprised if he returns.    Definitely will miss his desire, tenacity, and play.

• Hook 'Em 2

14 minutes ago, Balcones said:

Didn’t this guy suck last year? If Allen liked this guy and Pierce didn’t, I can see where the rub was.

He was not good. Threw pretty hard but it was straight as an arrow and he would lose control about every other batter.

Still funny that Allen is going to Ohio State to be the hitting coach. The fact he spent 3 seasons as the pitching coach at Texas and couldn't parlay that into another pitching coach job anywhere is just more evidence he should have never been managing the pitchers in the first place here. Great recruiter, but not a pitching coach. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Balcones said:

Didn’t this guy suck last year? If Allen liked this guy and Pierce didn’t, I can see where the rub was.

Yes, he sucked.  I don't blame Blair... he shouldn't have ever been offered a spot here. 

Staff obviously saw something to believe there was untapped potential but you better be damned sure when you're wasting a roster spot at Texas on a guy with a track record like this.

image.thumb.png.8c1ecf400d4e3e306502f803e71d9add.png

Still no Jalin Flores. Feeling good about this one.

Just now, jimmyjazz said:

When you flip your hitting coach to be the new pitching coach, things might not work out.

Well we did get a top 4 and top 8 finish. If only our other programs could fail like that.

• Hook 'Em 1

Kennedy didn’t even get drafted.  I understand he’s graduated and already 23, but it sure seems like coming back would be the smart play.  Finish a grad degree, make a little NIL money, potentially win a CWS, potentially play your way into the top 10 rounds of the next draft, vs signing as an UDFA (where the team has almost nothing invested) or going to play independent ball.

Adding Flores, Thomas, and Kennedy to the guys they already were counting on makes this lineup plenty good to make the postseason; likely not as good as this year but still plenty good.

Edited by Snake Diggity
  • Hook 'Em 1

So if the season started tomorrow and we didn't add anyone else from the portal (which isn't the case), we would be looking at something like:

C- Guillemette

1B- Thomas

2B- O'Dowd

SS- Daly

3B- Flores

LF- Campbell

CF: Whitehead

RF: Belyeu

DH: Galvin/Powell

Likely starters: Gordon, Hurley, Stuart (juco kid from San Jac)

Could be starters: Harrison/Sthele/Duplantier/Morehouse

For sure bullpen: Burke (other San jac kid), LBJ, Grubbs, Shaw (transfer from Rice), Tole (transfer from Arkansas), Cobb

Commentary: I'm actually more worried about the bats than the arms at this point. We have the returning pieces on the mound to where I think the floor is fairly high. As far as the lineup, it would certainly be nice to add a power hitting first baseman but I'm sure those guys aren't just sitting around in the portal waiting for calls. I think Thomas is good and could play right away, but I would definitely prefer him and Belyeu duke it out for the final OF spot.

I do think we will be able to run and play small play a lot more with this lineup. Guys like Campbell and Whitehead can fly. 

Should be interesting to see what we add between now and the fall. I would prioritize another starter and 1B, with another bullpen arm right behind those two on the wish list.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Hookem2147 said:

So if the season started tomorrow and we didn't add anyone else from the portal (which isn't the case), we would be looking at something like:

C- Guillemette

1B- Thomas

2B- O'Dowd

SS- Daly

3B- Flores

LF- Campbell

CF: Whitehead

RF: Belyeu

DH: Galvin/Powell

Likely starters: Gordon, Hurley, Stuart (juco kid from San Jac)

Could be starters: Harrison/Sthele/Duplantier/Morehouse

For sure bullpen: Burke (other San jac kid), LBJ, Grubbs, Shaw (transfer from Rice), Tole (transfer from Arkansas), Cobb

Commentary: I'm actually more worried about the bats than the arms at this point. We have the returning pieces on the mound to where I think the floor is fairly high. As far as the lineup, it would certainly be nice to add a power hitting first baseman but I'm sure those guys aren't just sitting around in the portal waiting for calls. I think Thomas is good and could play right away, but I would definitely prefer him and Belyeu duke it out for the final OF spot.

I do think we will be able to run and play small play a lot more with this lineup. Guys like Campbell and Whitehead can fly. 

Should be interesting to see what we add between now and the fall. I would prioritize another starter and 1B, with another bullpen arm right behind those two on the wish list.

I believe they also have an infielder who committed late after switching from Tech, the name escapes me.  I am a believer in Harrison as a Sunday starter to go with Gordon and Hurley, so I agree there’s less concern on the pitching side, especially if they are confident Witt can have a meaningful role in the last 2 months of the season.

They need at least one premier bat from the portal, ideally an OF.  That becomes less of an issue if Kennedy comes back but I would still think they’d like to add a bat even with EK.

56 minutes ago, Snake Diggity said:

I believe they also have an infielder who committed late after switching from Tech, the name escapes me.  I am a believer in Harrison as a Sunday starter to go with Gordon and Hurley, so I agree there’s less concern on the pitching side, especially if they are confident Witt can have a meaningful role in the last 2 months of the season.

They need at least one premier bat from the portal, ideally an OF.  That becomes less of an issue if Kennedy comes back but I would still think they’d like to add a bat even with EK.

Yeah, O’Hara was the guy they added late. I think Flores making it to campus means Duplantier (the younger one) and O’Hara should get the benefit of being eased into action.

• Hook 'Em 1

22 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

We should kick the tires here. Can hit from the left side, has good speed.

On non-Longhorn kids when IT reports about them, does that mean we more than likely have interest? I haven’t seen them report about someone then Texas never even show any interest 

2 minutes ago, OB3 said:

On non-Longhorn kids when IT reports about them, does that mean we more than likely have interest? I haven’t seen them report about someone then Texas never even show any interest 

No idea. I think Cook tweets notable ones about the Big 12 in almost all sports. Would make sense that he have interest though.