2023 Texas Baseball

Fletch

Interesting note from FCB on Tulo

It was a rough end of June for Texas baseball coach David Pierce as he decided to part ways with longtime assistant Sean Allen (pitching) and reassign Phillip Miller (outfielders and catchers) to a special assistant role while learning volunteer assistant Troy Tulowitzki (hitting and infielders), who turned down the USC head-coaching job, would probably be moving on as well.

After Texas threw big money at Tennessee pitching coach Frank Anderson and Tulowitzki — only to be turned down by both — Pierce hired veteran pitching coach and former Major League pitcher Woody Williams as well as former Baylor head coach Steve Rodriguez to be UT’s paid assistants.

I’m told Pierce did an amazing job of reaching out to Tulowitzki - even after “Tulo” turned down UT’s offer to become a paid assistant coach.

“Tulo’s been coming to the Disch almost every day,” a source close to the situation told Horns247. “DP (Pierce) really made it clear how much he’s valued Tulo’s impact on the team the past three years and offered to help Tulo in any way possible in preparing Tulo to become the kind of head coach Tulo wants to be.”

Sources said Tulowitzki turned down USC after receiving a low-ball offer for assistant coach salaries and because the Trojans’ facilities have fallen behind a lot of high school baseball programs.

But one source close to the situation said Tulowitzki has toyed with the idea of becoming a consultant to college baseball programs “so that he can see how the top recruiters do their thing.”

“Tulo knows baseball as well as anyone,” the source said. “The one thing he’s not really done in preparation to become a head coach is recruit. And even though Tulo is already a great recruiter — just by being himself — that’s how he is. He wants to know everything there is to know.”

For now, Tulowitzki is still working with the Texas baseball program as a volunteer assistant. And one source close to the situation said, “I think he’ll keep working with the program in some capacity.”

That source said Texas athletic director Chris Del Conte has done a good job of “helping manage Tulo’s involvement with the program.”

• Hook 'Em 1

Some summer ball updates:

California Collegiate League *Looks like the season is over*

RHP Alec Grossman- 8.2 IP, 9 H, 10 BB, 9 SO, 4.15 ERA

LHP Luke Harrison- 9 IP, 13 H, 6 BB, 12 SO, 8.00 ERA

LHP David Shaw- 17 IP, 13 H, 13 BB, 18 SO, 5.29 ERA

OF Dylan Campbell- Must have gotten hurt or something. Only appeared in 2 games and had 9 AB's. 0 hits.

C Kimble Schuessler- 83 AB's, .313 AVG, 1 HR, 14 RBI's, 11 BB, 16 SO

Northwoods League *Looks like there are two weeks left in the season*

C Peyton Powell- 103 AB's, .301 AVG, .390 OBP, 1 HR, 18 RBI's, 15 BB, 27 SO (Also looks like he is playing 1B)

2B Jack O'Dowd- 29 AB's, .138 AVG, 2 BB, 10 SO (Only played in 10 games)

OF Ace Whitehead- 39 AB's, .231 AVG, 12 BB, 14 SO (Also has pitched a little: 6 IP, 7 H, 2 BB, 8 SO, 4.50 ERA)

Cape Cod League *Only a few more games left, known as the toughest summer league*

SS/2B Mitchell Daly- 27 AB's, .185 AVG, 7 BB, 10 SO (He was activated for about 12 games then deactivated. Not sure if he got hurt or what)

C Garret Guillemette- 75 AB's, .200 AVG, 2 HR, 12 RBI's, 3 BB, 18 SO

RHP Travis Sthele- 10.1 IP, 15 H, 5 BB, 13 SO, 7.83 ERA

RHP Zane Moreohouse- 20 IP, 19 H, 8 BB, 16 SO, 4.50 ERA

RHP Heston Tole- 11.2 IP, 16 H, 8 BB, 5 SO, 3.08 ERA (this dude must be a God at stranding runners)

West Coast League

LHP Sam Walbridge- 16.2 IP, 11 H, 8 BB, 20 SO, 1.62 ERA

RHP Andre Duplantier- 22.2 IP, 13 H, 5 BB, 22 SO, 1.98 ERA

Valley Baseball League

RHP DJ Burke- 33.1 IP, 34 H, 7 BB, 39 SO, 2.97 ERA

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

Can we hire assistants who don't have their degree?  Does that only apply to head coaches?

Believe a bachelor’s is required for assistants. As per recent assistant job postings for MBB and WBB 

16 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

Some summer ball updates:

California Collegiate League *Looks like the season is over*

RHP Alec Grossman- 8.2 IP, 9 H, 10 BB, 9 SO, 4.15 ERA

LHP Luke Harrison- 9 IP, 13 H, 6 BB, 12 SO, 8.00 ERA

LHP David Shaw- 17 IP, 13 H, 13 BB, 18 SO, 5.29 ERA

OF Dylan Campbell- Must have gotten hurt or something. Only appeared in 2 games and had 9 AB's. 0 hits.

C Kimble Schuessler- 83 AB's, .313 AVG, 1 HR, 14 RBI's, 11 BB, 16 SO

Northwoods League *Looks like there are two weeks left in the season*

C Peyton Powell- 103 AB's, .301 AVG, .390 OBP, 1 HR, 18 RBI's, 15 BB, 27 SO (Also looks like he is playing 1B)

2B Jack O'Dowd- 29 AB's, .138 AVG, 2 BB, 10 SO (Only played in 10 games)

OF Ace Whitehead- 39 AB's, .231 AVG, 12 BB, 14 SO (Also has pitched a little: 6 IP, 7 H, 2 BB, 8 SO, 4.50 ERA)

Cape Cod League *Only a few more games left, known as the toughest summer league*

SS/2B Mitchell Daly- 27 AB's, .185 AVG, 7 BB, 10 SO (He was activated for about 12 games then deactivated. Not sure if he got hurt or what)

C Garret Guillemette- 75 AB's, .200 AVG, 2 HR, 12 RBI's, 3 BB, 18 SO

RHP Travis Sthele- 10.1 IP, 15 H, 5 BB, 13 SO, 7.83 ERA

RHP Zane Moreohouse- 20 IP, 19 H, 8 BB, 16 SO, 4.50 ERA

RHP Heston Tole- 11.2 IP, 16 H, 8 BB, 5 SO, 3.08 ERA (this dude must be a God at stranding runners)

West Coast League

LHP Sam Walbridge- 16.2 IP, 11 H, 8 BB, 20 SO, 1.62 ERA

RHP Andre Duplantier- 22.2 IP, 13 H, 5 BB, 22 SO, 1.98 ERA

Valley Baseball League

RHP DJ Burke- 33.1 IP, 34 H, 7 BB, 39 SO, 2.97 ERA

Pretty uninspiring other than Duplantier. 

1 hour ago, EZ$ said:

Pretty uninspiring other than Duplantier. 

True though Walbridge looks pretty good.   He may be a hidden gem.   Redshirt junior,  only pitched 3.1 innings at Texas. (injury ?)    Perfect Game rating was 9th rated LHP in State,  78th in Nation. From private school in San Antonio,  though played with good Summer League programs.   At 6'5",  looks good getting off the bus.

2023 Baseball Roster - University of Texas Athletics (texassports.com)

Fall Roster published (minus transfers) with the 20 returning players including everyone's favorite Hoffart.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Hookem2147 said:

@Rickylovesweed I am crossing my fingers and toes on this one. Please please please 

He's one of the top transfers. Prospects Live has him ranked as a top 25 draft eligible college player next year just ahead of Witt. 

That's the worry though. Everyone wants him and I'm sure he has some massive NIL deals on the table. 

6 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

Welp that’s not great. Gotta be honest I don’t see this being a very good team next year.

The entire big 12 is a huge question mark, especially on the pitching side. We actually have more pitching returning than the majority of Big 12 schools. I believe Tech, OU, TCU and OSU are all replacing their entire weekend rotation.

1 minute ago, Hookem2147 said:

The entire big 12 is a huge question mark, especially on the pitching side. We actually have more pitching returning than the majority of Big 12 schools. I believe Tech, OU, TCU and OSU are all replacing their entire weekend rotation.

I have very little faith in any of the pitching we have coming back. And our offense looks like it’s going to be a bunch of fast guys who can’t hit 

7 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Kendall Rogers brought this up a couple weeks ago. 

All the top Big 12 teams from last season are rebuilding. OU had the most draft picks, OSU had T-3rd most draft picks, Texas had T-4th most draft picks, TCU and Tech also lost a lot to the portal/draft. 

The bottom of the Big 12 is going to be really bad next year.  What's going on at WV? 3 of their best hitters transferred. It looked like they might have some potential next season but not now. 

Kansas, Kansas State, WV, and Baylor are probably going to be very bad. 

Unlike last season the top of the Big 12 is going to be rebuilding vs returning a lot of players. Texas needs to schedule tough in nonconference because it doesn't seem like the Big 12 is going to be great. 

52 minutes ago, txhorns said:

I feel like we are a team that should be ranked in the late teens to early 20s next season.

15 sounds right to me. 

And then ho hum we'll make Omaha again. 

Losing on some of these guys sucks, but at the end of the day Texas needs kids that want to play baseball at Texas. If you want to chase NIL and play somewhere where less pressure is on you then go do it. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, ztejas said:

15 sounds right to me. 

This reminds me a lot of the 2018 season. Texas was ranked #14 (Baseball America) and #21 (D1) in the preseason rankings after a lot of attrition from the 2017 team.

Texas was able to navigate the Big 12 that year because it was a down year in the Big 12.

There were 4 top 20 preseason Big 12 teams this year and OU was considered a dark horse Omaha team by a lot of people. The Big 12 is going to be nothing like that next season. 

I don’t mind our new lineup on its own, but I’m not sure it’s going to compliment what we have in terms pitching, and defense to a lesser degree. But who knows, none of us thought Ivan was golden spikes material, Messinger hitting as good as he did down the stretch or the same with Gordon as a pitcher, and so on. Some guys may surprise us and change our entire outlook of the team come late March. 

We will see what the sum looks like, but some the parts look okay. Campbell hit well over .300 the second half of last season, Carlson hit .345 last year, Brown is a career .286 hitter, Kennedy finished at .300 despite a horrendous finish, Guillemette a career .292 hitter at USC, we know what Daly is capable of. That’s potentially over half the lineup right there. Obviously there are wildcards like Whitehead and whoever fills out the infield, but we will have some pieces to work with. Obviously we won’t be hitting the ball over the fence at the rate we did last year, but part of the problem people had with last years team was they were poor situationally because they depended so much on the long ball.

Edited by Hookem2147

11 hours ago, ztejas said:

15 sounds right to me. 

Losing on some of these guys sucks, but at the end of the day Texas needs kids that want to play baseball at Texas. If you want to chase NIL and play somewhere where less pressure is on you then go do it. 

Texas needs a Friday guy more than it needs kids who want to play baseball at Texas 

• Hook 'Em 4

10 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

part of the problem people had with last years team was they were poor situationally because they depended so much on the long ball.

What people?  People that don't know anything about baseball?

Just now, WBT said:

What people?  People that don't know anything about baseball?

Probably. Was definitely the primary bitching point in the game thread. I didn’t have much of a problem with it because it was obvious early in the year what our identity would be offensively.

Regardless, strikeout numbers should be way down with this years team.

On 8/2/2022 at 2:43 PM, Valmy77 said:

Wasting the 81st pick? Get your shit together Elias.

On 8/2/2022 at 4:47 PM, VirginiaLonghorn said:

No biggie .. O’s will get a comp pick at the end of Round 3 next year.

No worries: it only pushes the Orioles' 100-year rebuild back one year.

On 7/31/2022 at 7:42 PM, hobbes2702 said:

Welp that’s not great. Gotta be honest I don’t see this being a very good team next year.

Well I gotta be honest, I don’t like the cut of your jib…..where’s your fucking balls? In 2018 and 2021, were you expecting us to pull off what we did preseason? I certainly wasn’t. Thought 2018 would be similar to 2017 except we’d maybe make a super. Yeah yeah Kody, but an ocean of rag tags stepped up and took home the conference title and went to Omaha. 2021 had more weapons but it took us a bit to find our footing and yep. Conference title and 3rd place in Omaha. 

We’ll get off to a rocky start but we’ll be playing our best ball in May and June like we have every year Pierce has been here (ignoring 2019. Fuck scooters). Plus  the Woody and Rodriguez hires have been great so far. And tulo is still gonna be hanging around the program. We got this 

• Hook 'Em 2