2023 Texas Baseball

Fletch

So this time after we beat 2 vaunted SEC teams, can we please keep that same intensity throughout the season? Yeah I know Witt and whatever but we were a totally different team after beating Tennessee and LSU. And not in a good way 

2 hours ago, TrashMaster G said:

Missouri?  Wtf?

We owe them: https://texassports.com/sports/baseball/stats/2020/missouri/boxscore/13381

Despite 8 combined innings of one-run ball from Coy Cobb, Sam Fuckin' Walbridge, Kam Fields and... Mason Bryant(?), we got Kubicheked and lost by one.

And you know Ricky Jacquez wants revenge.

Edited by zlavydra

20 hours ago, zlavydra said:

We owe them: https://texassports.com/sports/baseball/stats/2020/missouri/boxscore/13381

Despite 8 combined innings of one-run ball from Coy Cobb, Sam Fuckin' Walbridge, Kam Fields and... Mason Bryant(?), we got Kubicheked and lost by one.

Assuming Ricky isn’t hungover 

• Hook 'Em 1

http://stats.mutigers.com/sports/m-basebl/2007-2008/mu_32.html

https://texassports.com/news/2008/4/11/041108aaa_749.aspx

Hesitated to mention,  but in 2008 Mizzou defeated Texas 31-12, worst loss ever.   Winds were at 25mph plus all game.   9 HR's, Priday of Mizzou had 4.

Mizzou was ranked #8, we were #12.   Team finished 39-22,  lost at the Rice Regional.

On 8/9/2022 at 11:07 AM, zlavydra said:

That weekend was so ridiculous. The scandalous review at first vs LSU. The ass clenching final 7 innings vs Arky

Anyone who still wants to say we would’ve been competitive in 2020 forgets about the bullpen and our Sunday starter 

4 hours ago, UnhappilyMarried said:

That weekend was so ridiculous. The scandalous review at first vs LSU. The ass clenching final 7 innings vs Arky

Anyone who still wants to say we would’ve been competitive in 2020 forgets about the bullpen and our Sunday starter 

If I remember right, we had moved Hansen to the Sunday role the week the season ended. Don't think he had given up a run at that point of the season.

Bullpen would have been interesting. Duplantier pre Tommy John had closer type stuff.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, torre said:

Hesitated to mention,  but in 2008 Mizzou defeated Texas 31-12, worst loss ever.   Winds were at 25mph plus all game.   9 HR's, Priday of Mizzou had 4.

Mizzou was ranked #8, we were #12.   Team finished 39-22,  lost at the Rice Regional.

I remember that quite vividly. We scored 9 in 5 innings against Aaron Crow and still lost by almost 20. Got punked the next day as well, but Chance Ruffin came out of the pen to start the Sunday game and salvage a win. 

11 hours ago, torre said:

3 hours ago, zlavydra said:

I remember that quite vividly. We scored 9 in 5 innings against Aaron Crow and still lost by almost 20. Got punked the next day as well, but Chance Ruffin came out of the pen to start the Sunday game and salvage a win. 

Can you two please shut the fuck up about that game and weekend!?!?!?Good lord I vaguely remember following those games. But then again, you two have an odd thing for cock and ball torture, so not surprisingly y’all are discussing that garbage. 

Should we talk about the 2012 season next? Or the epic T-Nic hire!?!? How bout the glory that was 2016!?!? 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

Seems like a solid pickup. Balances out our OF a little bit with another RH bat.

I’ve been very impressed with this off-season. From the coaching changes to who were bringing in. Plus Kennedy, Campbell, Daly, O’Dowd, Whitehead, Gordon and the other dudes we have coming back. Got a pretty good feeling about this season. Granted I’ve been saying that since 2017….but shit around the program just feels right again

• Hook 'Em 2

4 hours ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Somebody has to be moving to the infield don't you think? That's 4 or 5 quality outfielders now. 

Probably means that Thomas is definitely starting out at 1B. Campbell has one OF spot on lock and you have Beyleu, Brown, Fields and Whitehead battling for the other 2 and DH spots. 3 of those 4 are left handed hitters so I’m sure there will be some platooning.

Edited by Hookem2147

Not a hot take here but think the season comes down to the new coaches.  We have players with the talent to be a top 15 team, host a regional and make a run at Omaha.  If the new coaches can develop those players to their potential then we will be really good.  If not we could be pretty average to bad.

7 minutes ago, txhorns said:

Not a hot take here but think the season comes down to the new coaches.  We have players with the talent to be a top 15 team, host a regional and make a run at Omaha.  If the new coaches can develop those players to their potential then we will be really good.  If not we could be pretty average to bad.

It’s going to come down to the young and inconsistent arms we had last year taking a step forward. I’m thinking of guys like Harrison, Sthele, LBJ, Duplantier and Morehouse. If 2 or 3 of them become dudes (which they are capable of), we will be competing for a conference title. If it’s more of the same from last year, it will be another rollercoaster ride. Offensively we are going to have to score with a different style this year. Less homers, less strikeouts, more chaos on the bases and hitting with runners in scoring position.

10 hours ago, Fletch said:

I’ve been very impressed with this off-season. From the coaching changes to who were bringing in. Plus Kennedy, Campbell, Daly, O’Dowd, Whitehead, Gordon and the other dudes we have coming back. Got a pretty good feeling about this season. Granted I’ve been saying that since 2017….but shit around the program just feels right again

Yeah, but can't we talk about 2012?

On 8/12/2022 at 8:50 AM, Hookem2147 said:

It’s going to come down to the young and inconsistent arms we had last year taking a step forward. I’m thinking of guys like Harrison, Sthele, LBJ, Duplantier and Morehouse. If 2 or 3 of them become dudes (which they are capable of), we will be competing for a conference title. If it’s more of the same from last year, it will be another rollercoaster ride. Offensively we are going to have to score with a different style this year. Less homers, less strikeouts, more chaos on the bases and hitting with runners in scoring position.

The pitching arms should definitely take a big step forward simply by having actual pitching coaching. The pitchers last year were getting nothing from the coaching staff. 

• 2 weeks later...

Coaching pay raises.  Suppose new market,  asst baseball salaries have increased.    No mention of Woody.   Pierce (1.2M), Beard, and Elliott received raises last July.

https://www.on3.com/teams/texas-longhorns/news/new-contract-details-for-beard-pierce-elliott-on-board-of-regents-meeting-agenda/

Texas athletic director Chris Del Conte is showing that he’ll reward any coach who wins big.

Five UT head coaches are scheduled to receive pay raises starting in the 2022-23 athletic year after turning in championship performances last season, according to the UT System Board of Regents agenda posted Monday.

The UT regents must approve all multi-year contracts within the UT system or any contract worth more than $1 million annually.

Track coach Edrick Floréal is getting a pay increase of $217,000, pushing his guaranteed compensation to $550,000. He’s also getting a special one-time payment of $58,750 on Oct. 1. Floréal guided the Longhorns to their first men’s indoor track and field national championship in March.

Women’s tennis coach Howard Joffe is getting a pay bump of $34,715 to $250,000. His program has won back-to-back national titles. Men’s golf coach John Fields, who guided the Horns to a national title, is getting a bump of $20,100 to $325,000.

Softball coach Mike White led the Longhorns to the Women’s College World Series finals as national runner-up. White is getting a raise of $13,000 to $625,000 annually. He will receive a special one-time payment of $75,625 on Oct. 1.

Women’s basketball coach Vic Schaefer’s program won the Big 12 Tournament last season and has made back-to-back trips to the Elite Eight in the NCAA Tournament. Schaefer’s compensation jumps from $1.8 million to $2.3 million. The school will deposit the money in a company he controls called The Pressin’ Rockin’ S.

Schaefer will also receive a special one-time payment of $261,250 on Oct. 1.

Also, new UT baseball hitting coach Steve Rodriguez will earn $375,000 annually in a deal that runs through the 2024 season, according to the UT regents’ agenda.

No public money is used to fund any aspect of UT athletics, which is a self-sustaining enterprise. The majority of athletic department revenue comes from conference TV contracts, ticket sales and donations.

Five Texas coaches scheduled for pay raises after successful seasons (msn.com)

• Hook 'Em 2

Rodriguez is making over 100k more than what Allen was making, if Allen's listed salary for the last few years is correct.

I also think there is some type of rule to where if an assistant is making less than a certain amount (maybe 300k), it doesn't have to be approved by the BOR. Might be why Williams' salary isn't listed.

23 hours ago, Horny Bull said:

Looks like 42 guys on the roster for fall ball. Have to be down to 35 by the spring. 

6 catchers- Galvan, Schuessler, Guillemette, Hoffart, Fahrlander, Constantine

5 middle infielders- Daly, Flores, Duplantier, O'Hara, O'Dowd

2 corner infielders- Carlson, Thomas (obviously a few guys from the middle infield group could probably play 3B)

7 outfielders- Campbell, Brown, Whitehead, Beyleu, Fields, Kennedy, Powell (can catch and 1B too, I believe, but I wonder if his catching days are over with his injury history)

7 LHP- Harrison, Stuart, Shaw, Walbridge, Gordon, Valentine, Lummus

15 RHP- Witt, Burke, Hurley, Minchey, Morehouse, Grubbs, Sthele, Howard, Grossman, Tole, O'Banan, Porchas, LBJ, George, Duplantier