2023 Texas Baseball

Fletch

NOICE!

So jealous of y'all at the Disch or COTA this afternoon.  We have my wife's church's first communion indoctrination camp for my daughter this afternoon.  I tried saying that we'd all feel closer to God at the church of baseball today (plus we already did AM mass), but she wasn't buying it.  After all these years, she still doesn't get the parallels between the Game and the Faith.  That's where I come in.  See y'all at the Orange-White FWS.  We should get a tailgate going. Could dovetail into a watch party for KSU game.  Though at this point, we may be banished to some 11am game on FSN regional.  

Yep. Nice start to Fall Ball.

Besides Porter Brown hitting for the cycle, Jared Thomas (Fr) played good 1st base and some R field while smoking the ball for multiple hits. Kennedy had a good day at the plate also though in the field there was one ball late did fall between him and the R fielder that he probably should have call for as the wind was blowing the ball towards him. Easily fixed with more continuity.

Decent crowd with all that was going on today, and got to talk a bit to Dougie Hodo and Jared Southard who were both on hand there to watch along with Trey Faltine. That conversation was only overshadowed by the one with three gals from the women's swim team to include Olympic Trials qualifier Kelly Pash 😮 (sorry Doug/Jared).

Cya next Sunday.

Edited by BillyGoatHill
  • Hook 'Em 7

Yeah, no jinx...but I like that back half except for @TCU obviously.  But there's a lot of opportunities for series wins/sweeps there when committee starts looking at your final ~15 games + league tourney.  But Tech and OSU right outta the gate is gonna be brutal.  I say "butt" a lot.

Dang, didn't realize SA Reagan was turning out super geniuses at a rate of 5% per graduating class.

Guess being a super genius ain't as rare as it was in my day of dummies. Not sure there was even one in my class of 1000 at a top district in the country.

Or maybe I should consider the source and realize that perceiving someone as a super genius can be relative based on the super low intellect of the perceiver.

Imma go with that.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 4

23 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

Good year to get Kansas and Baylor on the road with rebuilding rosters and first year coaches. Also a good year to get Kansas State at home since for some reason we always seem to struggle up there.

We've won 15 of the last 24 in Manhattan, but yes, we did lose the last 2 series up there. Before that we had won the series in 2006, 2008, 2010, 2012, 2014 and 2016.  Probably before that as well, but I didn't go back that far.

16 hours ago, Valmy77 said:

We have Tech at home, where they usually beat us, and then OSU on the road.

Well nothing like a challenge to start the conference season off. Glad we have the Sooners in Austin.

Tech will go 2-1 in Austin and put it on the wall. 

Meanwhile we'll win the B12 and go to Omaha. Again. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Morehouse seems to be in a good place. 3 scoreless innings today. Supposedly the fastball was 93-94 which is encouraging this time of year as guys continue to build up towards the spring. I thought he would be a bullpen guy on this staff but if he tightened his command I could absolutely see him settling into a Sunday role or as a midweek starter.

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Horny Bull said:

Flores appears to be as advertised

I sat behind the San Jac dugout today to be in the sun, so that play was right in front of me. He saved a bases loaded double down the line, and got the double play to keep them scoreless when we were only up by 3.

Of course he came up next inning and knocked in two. Dude had a great day as did Porter, Jared Thomas, DC, and Daly too.

Edited by BillyGoatHill
  • Hook 'Em 5

2 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

Morehouse seems to be in a good place. 3 scoreless innings today. Supposedly the fastball was 93-94 which is encouraging this time of year as guys continue to build up towards the spring. I thought he would be a bullpen guy on this staff but if he tightened his command I could absolutely see him settling into a Sunday role or as a midweek starter.

His stuff was there last year. Just gotta stop elevating the fastball and throw strikes

16 hours ago, BillyGoatHill said:

I sat behind the San Jac dugout today to be in the sun, so that play was right in front of me. He saved a bases loaded double down the line, and got the double play to keep them scoreless when we were only up by 3.

Of course he came up next inning and knocked in two. Dude had a great day as did Porter, Jared Thomas, DC, and Daly too.

Appreciate your comments.

Based on the two Fall games you saw, thoughts on the other infield defense,  Daly/O'Dowd/Thomas and Guillemette at catcher ?

Thanks !