2023 Texas Baseball

Fletch

1 hour ago, Balcones said:

I thought Pierce was anti-California.  CSF and and San Jose on calendar.  Maybe with the move to SEC he realizes its good to go West some as well.

My big fear is after we move to the SEC, all these Big 12 schools are available for non conference games...

1 hour ago, petscii said:

My big fear is after we move to the SEC, all these Big 12 schools are available for non conference games...

I don't think anybody will mind going to TCU or Baylor for a mid-week game.  I'd be down.  But yeah, weekend series at Tech or KSU or OU or someshit.  Fuck that.  No recruiting upside whatsoever.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Yeah, I meant OSU but got locked out of edit window.  Still my point stands, midweek games in the DFW or even with Baylor would still make sense from a recruiting standpoint.  But no other Big XII team would make sense anymore after we're gone.  Even Tech unless they just wanted to come here exclusively for a 2-game midweek stint or some deal. 

16 hours ago, YGIFS said:

I don't think anybody will mind going to TCU or Baylor for a mid-week game.  I'd be down.  But yeah, weekend series at Tech or KSU or OU or someshit.  Fuck that.  No recruiting upside whatsoever.  

Yep, we should always schedule a home-and-home with a CA team. No point in scheduling ex-Big12 teams for full series.

• Hook 'Em 2

On 6/30/2022 at 12:00 PM, immamac said:

We can do a baseball subscription if you guys want. Just let me know. 

What ever happened to this? 

On 11/3/2022 at 5:50 PM, petscii said:

Looks like CAL STATE FULLERTON is week 3.

Yep! I’m should be going as well. Went to Stanford last time and had a blast if you can call it that.  Looking forward to a little pay back against Fullerton for you know. And history and all. 

On 11/21/2022 at 5:01 PM, BillyGoatHill said:

Got the phone call about an hr ago.

Season ticket renewals start TODAY through December 9. (change seat/upgrade option in January, with new purchases available after)🤘

Thanks for posting this. I can’t wait to be able to pick my tickets once the new purchase window opens. 

• 2 weeks later...

If Morehouse really has taken a step forward and is ready to claim a spot in the rotation, that makes things interesting. If he has anywhere close to the kind of leap that Gordon had from 2021 to 2022, I would be ecstatic. Gordon/Hurley/Morehouse as your weekend rotation allows you to have LBJ/Sthele/Harrison/Duplantier/Burke/Howard (who supposedly has flashed some good stuff)/Shaw/Tole and the freshman in the bullpen. You can ease Chris Stuart in as a Tuesday guy or maybe he becomes a left handed option out of the pen.

They will have intriguing options. Just need some guys to step up and Morehouse being one would be a great sign.

• Hook 'Em 3

I honestly expected us to be in the 20-25 range rankings wise so I’m not surprised. This team is replacing a lot and while we brought in some good players from the portal, we didn’t bring in any high-level first-team all Big 12 type players. It’s likely going to take some time for this team to find their groove and for pitching roles to be established.

Edited by Hookem2147

On 12/21/2022 at 8:42 AM, Hookem2147 said:

I honestly expected us to be in the 20-25 range rankings wise so I’m not surprised. This team is replacing a lot and while we brought in some good players from the portal, we didn’t bring in any high-level first-team all Big 12 type players. It’s likely going to take some time for this team to find their groove and for pitching roles to be established.

Yeah, as Fletch always references, just need Pierce to have this team playing their best ball in May.

• Hook 'Em 3

Poster on IT who’s pretty plugged in baseball wise. Summarized the D1Baseball fall report and added his own info.

Spoiler

A summary of Kendall's report (I was there for most of the fall stuff, too, and I agree with his takes and have added some of my own comments): I don't think he would mind me sharing the info - but I urge all of you to subscribe to D1Baseball if you can afford to do so - he puts out a great product!

1. Much different team from last year - half the roster is gone, and so are 105 of Texas' record home run barrage. Don't expect that this year.

2. Dylan Campbell will be a star. He is probably going to be hitting in the 3 hole, and can hit for power, average, and has good speed. I saw him put one over the wall in center during one fall scrimmage. 

3. Probably freshmen at 3rd (Jalin Flores) and 1st (Jared Thomas). Flores will hit for average, and Thomas will be a long ball threat. Another option at 1st is Cam Constantine. Mitch Daly is moving from 2nd to short. Lots of competition for 2nd, and no telling who will get the job once things settle down later in the season. We will see Cade O'Hara, Jack O'Dowd, freshman Jayden Duplantier (Dre's little brother), and transfer Tanner Carlson take turns at both short and 2nd early in the year. Garret Guillemette is probably the starting catcher, with freshman Rylan Galvan or Payton Powell (who can play multiple positions) additional possibilities behind the plate. . Beginning to get the picture about how new this team will be? I had to use a scorecard in the fall, just to find out who was wearing what number.

4. Eric Kennedy is back! Outfield will be Kennedy, Campbell, and probably either Ace Whitehead or TCU transfer Porter Brown.

5. Another possibility to work into the starting lineup is freshman Max Belyeu. He showed flashes during the fall.

6. Pitching starts with returner Lucas Gordon. Probable names in the rotation early in the season will include returners Zane Morehouse (much better control during the fall) and LeBarron Johnson (with his 101 fastball). Other possibilities include Andre Duplantier ('Dre looked very good in relief in the fall scrimmages), Travis Sthele,, 6-9 USC transfer Charlie Hurley,, and freshman Kobe Minchey. Lots of other newcomers will see relief roles early in the year, to see who can pitch against real competition. 

7. And one more take from me - One key to getting back to Omaha might be Tanner Witt. No telling when or if he will recover enough from his season-ending surgery last year to again pitch for the 'Horns. He could be available as soon as March, or it might be May, or it might be we never see him on the mound at DFF again. But it is nice to dream about getting him back....I can see Lucas and Tanner getting us through the winner's bracket into a Regional final, where we would be facing a team coming out of the loser's bracket, probably out of pitching. And two stud pitchers can take you a long way in Omaha!

8. A minor thing I noticed during the fall scrimmages. The new UT assistant coaches are much more proactive (compared to our previous staff) about moving players in the field, depending on who is at bat and their tendencies. Moving an outfielder 2-3 steps to the right or left, and/or taking a step in or back, can make the difference between a long out and a double into the gap. Even the infielders were moving a step at times during the fall (not counting normal moves for things like going to double play depth).. Just a little thing I saw the coaches doing, but sometimes the little things can add up to a win!

9. i agree with the comments about the schedule - much more SEC-like. We don't need a "murderer's row" of great teams on our schedule when we have this much of a new team. Let these guys settle in a little before conference play begins, and give David time to find out who can play .We do have enough "real" competition scheduled to get our strength of schedule to a reasonable level, - now we just have to find a way to beat most of those teams!

10. Hope to see everyone at Globe Life in February! I'll be sitting behind the UT dugout - come by and say hi! I'll try and update this report as we get closer to the season, depending on injuries, who looks good in January, etc. Can't wait for baseball!

• Hook 'Em 4

5 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

This seems like a transition year.  Based on that write up I don’t expect us to compete for much.  Essentially the whole infield and battery replaced.   One proven starter.  Closer still up in the air.  

Yeah, I agree. There should be some massive growing pains along with some great flashes, but maybe Texas will fuck around and find out (in a good way) and put it all together by the end of the season.

Edited by MuellerHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, ClubWhatever said:

This seems like a transition year.  Based on that write up I don’t expect us to compete for much.  Essentially the whole infield and battery replaced.   One proven starter.  Closer still up in the air.  

The silver lining is there are going to be a lot of unknowns in the Big 12. OU and OSU are replacing their entire weekend rotations. Tech lost their Friday and Saturday guys. TCU lost 2 of 3 weekend starters. WVU lost 2 of 3 weekend starters and their lockdown closer. New coaches at Baylor and Kansas.

I really don't see a dominant team in this conference right now. I know OSU added a few quality arms in the portal and return McLean who is a good two-way player so I would consider them the favorite in my mind, but it's a tossup after that.

• Hook 'Em 1

I'm kinda surprised they are testing out LBJ as a starter. Obviously the stuff is there, but in my mind at his best he is a Southard type who could give you 2-3 innings at a time out of the pen. 

If it was me, I would give Duplantier the first shot at being the closer. Can go multiple innings, started getting the bite back on his slider late last year and closed for a brief time in 2020 before the season shut down. I think he could thrive in that role.

3 hours ago, ClubWhatever said:

Yeah well this is baseball. We had all of our proven starters last year but suddenly we had one as Stevens was much worse than we expected and Witt got hurt. And our proven closer was also not so proven as it turned out.

Things may go much better this year. My expectations are unchanged from any other year of Texas Baseball. Win the conference, get to Omaha. 

Also I am just sort of assuming the Alumni Game is on February 4th. I wonder when the official announcement will be.

Edited by Valmy77
  • Hook 'Em 4

6 hours ago, ClubWhatever said:

To be fair closer was up in the air for all of last year too. 

9 hours ago, ClubWhatever said:

Fuck that noise. Texas baseball doesn't rebuild or transition. Texas baseball reloads and every incoming player knows what is expected of them when they step between the lines. Pierce has proven his mettle in getting the program back on the historical track. So Omaha or bust. 

• Hook 'Em 5

Just now, Herpa Derpa said:

Fuck that noise. Texas baseball doesn't rebuild or transition. Texas baseball reloads and every incoming player knows what is expected of them when they step between the lines. Pierce has proven his mettle in getting the program back on the historical track. So Omaha or bust. 

He’s also finished last in conference before.  Knowing what’s expected of you doesn’t do shit when you walk out between the lines and it’s live bullets.  We have unproven pieces and guys in new roles, and don’t really know how they will do.

• Hook 'Em 2

He’s also finished last in conference before.  Knowing what’s expected of you doesn’t do shit when you walk out between the lines and it’s live bullets.  We have unproven pieces and guys in new roles, and don’t really know how they will do.

Fuck that shit we’re winning the National Championship and all getting blow jobs from super models immediately afterward.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 4
  • Drool 2

I think Pierce has done a good job of finding guys that can step up. A part of it is development as well. Off the top of my head CQ, Murphy and if the reports are true then hopefully Campbell this year. The potential problem is we need more than previous years, which doesn’t help but I could see guys like Duplantier, LBJ, Ace, and the freshman showing out a little over the half way point of the season. It’s going to be a year of growth but should be fun one where we make some noise. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 12/29/2022 at 10:00 AM, ClubWhatever said:

not flaming or trolling, but UT baseball should never be in a 'transition year' 

• Hook 'Em 1