2023 Texas Baseball

Fletch

On 1/13/2023 at 6:11 PM, Valmy77 said:

I just assumed it would be February 4th just based on when I would expect it to be but now I am starting to worry there will be no fan appreciation and alumni game. That would suck, that is kind of a big tradition for my family.

Oh good. Right when I thought it would be.

See you all then!

20 hours ago, Valmy77 said:

Yeah it pisses me off how the normies think baseball is some chump team just because the football team is. They finished #7 for fuck sake. How often in baseball does the #1 preseason team win the CWS? The only team that was #1 and dropped like a rock was Tennessee in their Super Regional.

This whole self loathing misery is completely ridiculous for Texas Baseball Fans. 38 College World Series Appearances and 6 National Champions and 6 National Runner ups and punks talking like where we are ranked in the preseason means anything? No. It means nothing. The expectations are simple: Texas is going to go to win the Big 12 and go to the College World Series just like every other season. They could rank us #1 or #300 it don't make a shit.

This….this is art. 

Astonishing how “shitty” we were from 2012-2019….and still went to Omaha twice, were a cunt hair away from playing for it all in ‘14 while making  the post season 4 of the 7 of those years. That would be most programs best stretch ever. For us, it’s dog shit. As it should be 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Fletch said:

This….this is art. 

Astonishing how “shitty” we were from 2012-2019….and still went to Omaha twice, were a cunt hair away from playing for it all in ‘14 while making  the post season 4 of the 7 of those years. That would be most programs best stretch ever. For us, it’s dog shit. As it should be 

The season does not start until some idjit tells us the season is over. 

Edited by petscii

Guys, forgive me if this has already been discussed, but is there any information on Porchas? I obviously haven’t been paying close attention, but I was brushing up before the season gets underway, and I don’t see him listed on the roster. Have I overlooked something? TIA

57 minutes ago, SamMan said:

Guys, forgive me if this has already been discussed, but is there any information on Porchas? I obviously haven’t been paying close attention, but I was brushing up before the season gets underway, and I don’t see him listed on the roster. Have I overlooked something? TIA

Don’t think he made it to campus. Assuming he ended up at a juco. He may have been processed to an extent. I thought I remember reading/seeing that he didn’t have a great senior year.

1 hour ago, Hookem2147 said:

Don’t think he made it to campus. Assuming he ended up at a juco. He may have been processed to an extent. I thought I remember reading/seeing that he didn’t have a great senior year.

Ah, thank you. I thought I had seen his name mentioned in some of the fall notes, but couldn’t recall if I actually ever saw him listed on the fall roster or not. 

On 9/19/2022 at 12:50 PM, Snake Diggity said:

Updated roster depth chart for opening day?

C Guillemette Jr.

1B Thomas

2B Daly

SS Flores

3B O'Dowd

RF Kennedy

CF Campbell

LF Brown

DH Whitehead

Bench: Carlson, Galvan, Powell, Belyeu

Extra position players: C Constantine, C Hoffart, IF Duplantier, OF Fields, IF O'Hara, C Schuessler, C Fahrlander

Weekend SP: Hurley, Gordon, Shaw (+Witt, when healthy)

Weekday SP: Harrison, Stuart, Walbridge

RP: Tole, Grossman, Sthele, Morehouse, Johnson, Duplantier

Extra Pitchers: Lummus, O'Banan, Burke, Minchey, Grubbs, Howard, Porchas, George, Valentine

I went back through the thread looking for lineup predictions, and this is the latest I found.  With just a few weeks left before the season starts, what do we think now?

Definitely appears they are going to at least start the season with Daly at SS and Flores at 3B. O’Dowd will probably get the first shot to lock down 2B. Younger Duplantier, Carlson and O’Hara could factor in at 2B too. 

If I was in Vegas, I would be betting Gordon/Morehouse/Hurley is our rotation opening weekend.

The Top 5 greatest college baseball programs of all time

Posted on 1/30/23 at 3:42 pm
uArw.png3dArw.png8
bkm1.png
I pretty much concur with this list and the reasons given for each.

There will be much discussion/debate here about the #2 & #3 programs, for sure. The reasoning given in the article is understandable. I get it.

I think the list is from 2011 or 2012 (not sure); but, I still think it's accurate even today.

#1...........Southern California

#2...........Texas

#3...........LSU

#4...........Arizona State

#5...........Stanford

How the SEC programs compare........

ALABAMA -- 5 appearances/0 titles
ARKANSAS -- 11 appearances/0 titles
AUBURN -- 6 appearances/0 titles
FLORIDA -- 12 appearances/1 title
GEORGIA -- 6 appearances/1 title
KENTUCKY -- 0/0
LSU -- 18 appearances/6 titles
MISS. STATE -- 12 appearances/1 title
OLE MISS -- 6 appearances/1 title
MISSOURI -- 6 appearances/1 title
OKLAHOMA -- 11 appearances/2 titles
SOUTH CAROLINA -- 11 appearances/2 titles
TENNESSEE -- 5 appearances/0 titles
TEXAS A&M -- 7 appearances/0 titles
TEXAS - 38 appearances/6 titles
VANDERBILT - 5 appearances/2 titles

**USC -- 21 appearances/12 titles (leads all programs)

From secrant.
Edited by Cairn Horn88
  • Hook 'Em 1

Yeah sure USC is the best of all time but they haven't done much in this century. They have been really shitty lately as well, they haven't even played in a regional since 2015. And since 2005, 2015 is their only winning season outside of the shortened 2020 season. They are the worst program in the entire Pac 12 IMO. Their field only seats 2,500. 

I mean it is not quite like still calling Yale a great football power because they won like 30 pre-WWII national titles but it is getting there.

Edited by Valmy77
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Valmy77 said:

Yeah sure USC is the best of all time but they haven't done much in this century. They have been really shitty lately as well, they haven't even played in a regional since 2015. And since 2005, 2015 is their only winning season outside of the shortened 2020 season. They are the worst program in the entire Pac 12 IMO. Their field only seats 2,500. 

I mean it is not quite like still calling Yale a great football power because they won like 30 pre-WWII national titles but it is getting there.

I think like Arizona State, the  Trojans destroyed their baseball dynasty.  Gillespie left USC and kept doing the winning thing at UC-Irvine.  Who knows what would have happened if he stayed at USC.

Without summoning Derka again, Rod Dedeaux is the G.O.A.T.  It's absolutely insane what he did at USC during his tenure.  If you throw out any three of his CWS runs (multi-year stuff) he's still the greatest coach ever.

Without summoning Beau VIne again,  Utah would like a word for worst baseball program in the Pac 12, and I think Washington State is behind them...   

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

Sounds like they really want to try to stretch out Lebarron Johnson as a starter. Not sure I agree with it but should be interesting to see play out.

I thought he could possibly turn into our CQ out of the pen…maybe not necessarily this year tho. I don’t see him becoming a starter this year with only 2 pitches. 

12 minutes ago, Levi said:

I thought he could possibly turn into our CQ out of the pen…maybe not necessarily this year tho. I don’t see him becoming a starter this year with only 2 pitches. 

I thought similarly but they seem to want to stretch out both him and Duplantier. At least one of them and maybe both will be squeezed out and in the bullpen by conference play imo.

I think Pierce mentioned last week that he doesn’t have a set closer right now and may just do it by committee to start the season.

Edited by Hookem2147

23 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

I thought similarly but they seem to want to stretch out both him and Duplantier. At least one of them and maybe both will be squeezed out and in the bullpen by conference play imo.

I think Pierce mentioned last week that he doesn’t have a set closer right now and may just do it by committee to start the season.

Yeah, I can see that and you’re probably right. The shuffling around is going to happen a ton before conference play which we’re young and inexperienced so to be expected. I just hope by then we have at least 3-4 guys out of the pen we can count on to throw strikes. Finally having a true pitching coach should help. 

Edited by Levi

11 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

Sounds like they really want to try to stretch out Lebarron Johnson as a starter. Not sure I agree with it but should be interesting to see play out.

Lebarron turned it on quite a bit down the stretch. I think he's gonna build on that and be a solid Saturday or Sunday starter. You would know, what's our projected rotation? Gordon-Morehouse-Lebarron with Sthele as the Tuesday dude? Maybe Duplantier in there somewhere? Excited to see how Harrison has developed. Also looking forward to some of those lefties we brought in. If Witt can give us a 2014 Curtiss like season, our pitching staff is in business. I trust Pierce to throw together a nasty lineup with great to elite defense like he has every year except 2019 when the season was over before it even started. 

9 hours ago, Valmy77 said:

Yeah that list is bull shit. It's us, LSU, Arizona State, Arizona State, Fulleton, Stanford and more recently, Vandy, Virgina, Oregon State, Florida, Ole Miss and of course, Coastal Carolina