2023 Texas Baseball

Fletch

Stanford ain't #5 all time. These programs (plus obviously USC, UT, LSU, and ASU) have more CWS titles than Stanford. Going into CWS runner ups, CWS win percentage, and CWS appearances brings even more teams in over Stanford.

Miami 4    
Cal St Fullerton 4    
Oregon State 3    
Minnesota 3    

Edited by n64ra

image.thumb.png.80b1bac4b482de65966a886ca65e4829.png

I think this is mostly right and a correct order.  I might actually say that Texas is closer to USC than it appears, and if I was feeling snarky that ASU goes over LSU.   But since ASU destroyed the program....

Now the question I would pose is where does FSU with it's 3 runners up in 3 decades rank?  Behind the 1 national championship teams with one appearance.  Or are they just begin behind Mississippi State with 1 national championship and one runner up?  23 appearances and all that... 

In the 75 Years of the College World Series

Texas has ended the season ranked

#5 or better 32 times
#3 or better 24 times

I’d be curious, albeit not curious enough to research, if there has ever been a program in any sport and really at any level so close to the top yet have as few championships as we do in baseball. That’s a ton of so closes that I’d imagine it’d be hard to top.

34 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

I’d be curious, albeit not curious enough to research, if there has ever been a program in any sport and really at any level so close to the top yet have as few championships as we do in baseball. That’s a ton of so closes that I’d imagine it’d be hard to top.

You make it sound as though we don't win as many championships as we should.  We have been to the CWS 38 times and won 6.  For most of that history, the CWS has been an 8-team event, so 38 trips would average to 4.75 championships.

We have been in the championship game/series 12 times and won 6.  Right on average.

We do damn fine once we reach Omaha.

• Hook 'Em 1

You make it sound as though we don't win as many championships as we should.  We have been to the CWS 38 times and won 6.  For most of that history, the CWS has been an 8-team event, so 38 trips would average to 4.75 championships.
We have been in the championship game/series 12 times and won 6.  Right on average.
We do damn fine once we reach Omaha.

As many “as we should” is too subjective.

When we are the final two, we win half. Ok fair enough. So that gives us 12 more 3rd place finishes. Then another 8 for 4th/5th.

Name me a program in any sport at any level that has that many top 3 finishes but somehow walks away being #1 only 25% of the time. FSU baseball catches some grief for not winning it all, but they generally fail before the final 4.

First, that is an unbelievable amount of success overall, but, yes, I’d say the 25% is lower than I’d expect once you are considered the final 3 (also realizing that it’s really final 4).

USC skews things a bit. LSU too. We skew it for everyone else in that we get there so often and generally are very successful overall once arriving there.

We have made about 50% of the time they've held the event.

When we do go, we make the title game about 1 outta 3 times.

When we make the title game, we win 50% of the time.

60% of the time, we could win every time.

Texas Longhorns Baseball is the Sex Panther of College Baseball

• Hook 'Em 2

15 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

As many “as we should” is too subjective.

When we are the final two, we win half. Ok fair enough. So that gives us 12 more 3rd place finishes. Then another 8 for 4th/5th.

Name me a program in any sport at any level that has that many top 3 finishes but somehow walks away being #1 only 25% of the time. FSU baseball catches some grief for not winning it all, but they generally fail before the final 4.

First, that is an unbelievable amount of success overall, but, yes, I’d say the 25% is lower than I’d expect once you are considered the final 3 (also realizing that it’s really final 4).

Another way to look at it is that once we make it to Omaha, we tend to do better than average, not finishing in the bottom half of the CWS field as often as odds would put it.  You seem determined to look at a negative spin.

• Hook 'Em 1

Another way to look at it is that once we make it to Omaha, we tend to do better than average, not finishing in the bottom half of the CWS field as often as odds would put it.  You seem determined to look at a negative spin.

If that’s how you choose to look at it, I can’t stop you.

Perhaps go back to my original statement.

It’s more of an observation than a spin. It’s not to say we suck or we’re overrated. It’s that we have a ton of close misses. Maybe more so than any program in any sport.

5 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

It’s more of an observation than a spin. It’s not to say we suck or we’re overrated. It’s that we have a ton of close misses. Maybe more so than any program in any sport.

We hear ya, Debbie 

It's not easy to get there.  Getting there doesn't guarantee that you will win it all.  I'm always disappointed when we do not win it all, as I'm sure the players and coaches are.  That being said, I'd rather be Texas than any of the others listed.....because, I know, we will be returning soon.

Come on. 50% of the time we’re there. That’s easy.

Actually, it is difficult to believe at that sustained success and curious as to whether it could continue for years to come. It’s quite remarkable.

Sports are often a crapshoot and baseball more than any other sport is susceptible to a one-man show. It’s the only one that may require that one man to sit for 3-4 days after his show too. So it takes top end talent/skill and depth to achieve team success.

Make no mistake I’ll never be anything but a Longhorn baseball fan. The success of the program is a reason but certainly not the only reason for that.

Just saw this MLB draft projection from December for Tanner and commit Travis Sykora.   Others have Tanner listed as a compensation pick from 29-34,  Sykora remains in 1st round.

Hope it comes true for Tanner.    Like Bijan,  great player,  great person.

24. Braves: Tanner Witt, RHP, Texas
A bit of a wild card here as Witt is coming back from Tommy John surgery, and it’s unclear if and when he’ll pitch in 2023. But the Braves, who took a pair of high school right-handers early last year, aren’t afraid of taking a risk, and a healthy Witt could be one of the most electric arms in the class.

25. Padres: Travis Sykora, RHP, Round Rock HS (Texas)
It’s a bit of an easy mock card to play, having the Padres taking a high-risk/high-reward pick. But they’ve earned it, taking a high schooler with their first pick in six straight Drafts and selecting two prep arms with their first two picks last year. Sykora, a 6-foot-6 high schooler who throws 100 mph, almost makes too much sense here.

https://www.mlb.com/news/mock-mlb-draft-2023

9 hours ago, Had Enough said:

As others have posted, Texas has had more than average success at winning it all.

However, to answer your question: the Buffalo BIlls. At least the early 1990s version. They've now won the AFC East the past three years and have fallen short of the AFC Championship game in all three. They have an amazing fanbase for as little success as they've had since their titles in the 1960s.

Edited by MuellerHorn

Never got to see him play live, but heard great stories about him from some of his teammates.  

SIAP-not seeing it at texassports.com nor with my bumbling search attempts.  Where is the Alumni roster for Saturday?  Anybody?  I'd like it rescheduled for Sunday for better weather, but at this point---the kids are going whether they like it or not...just want to see the roster for my own selfishness.  Thanks.

1 hour ago, YGIFS said:

Never got to see him play live, but heard great stories about him from some of his teammates.  

SIAP-not seeing it at texassports.com nor with my bumbling search attempts.  Where is the Alumni roster for Saturday?  Anybody?  I'd like it rescheduled for Sunday for better weather, but at this point---the kids are going whether they like it or not...just want to see the roster for my own selfishness.  Thanks.

Received below in an email,  no mention of Alumni.   Hopefully,  Thurs or Friday.    (LHN will televise)

The 2023 baseball season is just around the corner, and we can’t wait to open the season at Globe Life Field for the College Baseball Showcase! Before the season kicks off, we want you to join us at UFCU Disch-Falk Field for our 2023 Alumni Game and Fan Appreciation Day! Please see below for all the details.

The current Texas Baseball team will be signing autographs from 8:30 a.m. – 9:30 a.m in the player development center. Fans will enter through the home plate gate and enter the player development center via the 2nd floor entrance by 1st base. To ensure the greatest number of fans are able to participate, each fan will be limited to one item to be signed. No posed photos will be permitted.

The first 1,000 fans will receive a 2023 season pennant, courtesy of UFCU. We are also pleased to announce that the Dugout Store at UFCU Disch-Falk Field will be the first place fans can purchase Nike Texas Baseball replica jerseys beginning February 4th at Fan Appreciation Day! At this time, the classic pinstripes and cream jerseys will be available, with the orange and white jerseys scheduled to launch later this season. For the first time, youth sizing will be available as well!

As part of Fan Appreciation Day, fans will be permitted to play catch in right field from 8:30 a.m – 9:15 a.m and will enter by the home dugout down the first base line. Also, in the left field concourse, inflatables will be available, free of charge from 10:00 a.m. through the 3rd inning of the game. The greatest mascot in college athletics, Bevo XV will be available for photo opportunities from approximately 10:45 a.m. until 11:45 a.m. After the game concludes, kids 12 and under will have the opportunity to run the bases of UFCU Disch-Falk Field.

Admission to the game is FREE and complimentary parking will be available in East Campus Garage and concession stands will be open for fans during the game.

We can’t wait to see you at the field this Saturday! Hook ‘em!

Alumni Game and Fan Appreciation Day Timeline – Feb. 4

8:30 a.m. – Home plate gates opens for autographs
8:30-9:30 a.m. – Autograph Session in player development center
8:30-9:15 a.m. – Catch in right field
10 a.m. – Inflatables down the left field line
10 a.m. – Texas batting practice
10:40 a.m.- Alumni batting practice
10:45 a.m. – Photo ops with Bevo XV
Noon – Alumni Game first pitch
Postgame – Kids run the bases

• Hook 'Em 2

On 1/31/2023 at 4:18 PM, Had Enough said:

To put it into perspective for me, Nolan Ryan also had a lot of "close calls" with no-hitters and he is also still known as one of the greatest of all time. People get bogged down in numbers sometimes and forget that the journey to even get to Omaha is not a cake walk. Getting to Omaha is an accomplishment, winning there is even more so, let alone, taking it all down. Now, you can tell how special Nolan was looking at the number of no-hitters, but his numbers showing how close he was are even more impressive. That's how I view Texas Baseball. 🤘

• 7 career no-hitters (next-most is 4)
  • 12 career 1-hitters, tied with Bob Feller
  • 18 career 2-hitters
  • 31 career 3-hitters
  • Like 1

Was just looking through the online roster and it looks like freshman LHP Colin Valentine may not be the program anymore. I know he was viewed as a bit of a project out of HS.

Looks like we have 38 players listed. NCAA said the roster limit this year is 35 but anyone who was on the roster during the covid season does not count towards the total. So that would be Kennedy, Peyton Powell and Duplantier.

On 1/31/2023 at 4:18 PM, Had Enough said:

5 hours ago, Droopy said:

To put it into perspective for me, Nolan Ryan also had a lot of "close calls" with no-hitters and he is also still known as one of the greatest of all time. People get bogged down in numbers sometimes and forget that the journey to even get to Omaha is not a cake walk. Getting to Omaha is an accomplishment, winning there is even more so, let alone, taking it all down. Now, you can tell how special Nolan was looking at the number of no-hitters, but his numbers showing how close he was are even more impressive. That's how I view Texas Baseball. 🤘

• 7 career no-hitters (next-most is 4)
  • 12 career 1-hitters, tied with Bob Feller
  • 18 career 2-hitters
  • 31 career 3-hitters

I'd say Duke in basketball is the type of comparison you are looking for.  Five national championships, six runner-up finishes, and 17 total Final Fours.

I offer Jack Nicklaus as an individual comparison.  Everyone knows about the 18 majors but he also has 19 runner-up finishes at majors and 56 top-five finishes.

• Hook 'Em 1

I'd say Duke in basketball is the type of comparison you are looking for.  Five national championships, six runner-up finishes, and 17 total Final Fours.
I offer Jack Nicklaus as an individual comparison.  Everyone knows about the 18 majors but he also has 19 runner-up finishes at majors and 56 top-five finishes.

Those and the Nolan comparisons are good.
Hadn’t even considered Nolan so that’s an interesting thought.
  • Hook 'Em 1

I've noticed so they don't tip their hand to the sports books, the Alumni squad has not only not released their starting pitcher, nor their lineup, or even their full roster...many of them are not even in town.  Well played, Agent Ex-Orange, well played...

27 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

I've noticed so they don't tip their hand to the sports books, the Alumni squad has not only not released their starting pitcher, nor their lineup, or even their full roster...many of them are not even in town.  Well played, Agent Ex-Orange, well played...

I share your concern.

Will be interesting to see if this year is just an anomaly or will be the future.    With MLB restrictions,  the game itself has became more of an intrasquad game without many participating Alumni.   But it is always nice (especially for kids) to see them in MLB uniforms, introductions, autographs, etc.    And all the players (including current) seemed to enjoy.    Before they had a banquet/dinner the night before,  not sure if that is still scheduled.

Will see what happens Saturday.   Should there be a lack of participation,  I do hope it is addressed for the fans' benefit.    Maybe Keith and Greg will say something about it on the broadcast.

4 hours ago, torre said:

I share your concern.

Will be interesting to see if this year is just an anomaly or will be the future.    With MLB restrictions,  the game itself has became more of an intrasquad game without many participating Alumni.   But it is always nice (especially for kids) to see them in MLB uniforms, introductions, autographs, etc.    And all the players (including current) seemed to enjoy.    Before they had a banquet/dinner the night before,  not sure if that is still scheduled.

Will see what happens Saturday.   Should there be a lack of participation,  I do hope it is addressed for the fans' benefit.    Maybe Keith and Greg will say something about it on the broadcast.

How well attended was the Gustafson event?  Maybe it's hard to do two in so close a window. 

On 2/2/2023 at 7:46 PM, ScottS said:

Five national championships to 17 Finals Fours is over performing from a purely statistical POV.

However, I'd have to do some research to see how favored Duke was to win among the four teams all 17 times. That knowledge probably alters expectations.

None of the alumni pitchers will pick up a ball tomorrow if it is anything like previous years. Pitchers on both sides will be from the current team.

Just looked back at the box score from last years alumni game and there were 7 alumni hitters actually playing. Rest of the guys were just in the dugout for social hour.

Edited by Hookem2147

6 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Was hoping Duplantier would have a little more juice on this fastball another offseason removed from surgery. Was only 88-90 and the slider is still not all the way back.

We need him to be solid this year.

Yeah he still struggles with control...from whatever we can take from the alumni game.