2023 Texas Baseball

Fletch

2 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Someone has to take over the Jared Southard ‘one or two amazing innings followed by a blowup inning’ role and LBJ seems eager to fill his shoes

Dear me you are coming up with a lot of takeaways from the alumni game. 

3 hours ago, Cousin Strawberry said:

Did Gordon pitch and if so how did he look?  

That dude competes.

He did. I think the Alumni players may have had a good scouting report because they hit him pretty well. Must be all that time they were on the same team or something.

It was a great event.. My dad pitched from 68-71 and has been to several of these.. he was saying the turnout was great; both fans and the participating alums. 

My 9 year old had a great time getting autographs. the players were extremely well mannered and awesome in the signing before the game. Not to mention, much needed great weather. We'll be at the game next Friday vs. Arky.. 

• Hook 'Em 4

51 minutes ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

We all hate the tweetbot idiot above, but this shit is fucking stupid. 

That is fucking laughable. 

Huh? You may not think the alumni matter to a successful program but why is the idea that it is "fucking stupid" and "fucking laughable"? What a weird thing to be fucking upset about. Who cares? It's fun. Chill.

Edited by Valmy77
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

Not upset, just disagree with ol’ boy Danny’s take. I may know a little more. 

Okay, I get it. I just don't get why it is "fucking laughable" and "fucking stupid". That sounds like you are outraged and disgusted by the take, a little more than just disagreeing.

I don't really know if the alumni matter. Some people seem to think it matters if the old guys are hanging around the program, others don't. In this case though most of the guys who were at this alumni game played with the current players, they are just really seeing their buddies and their old coaches than relaying some deep wisdom from years in pro baseball or whatever.

Edited by Valmy77

20 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Gonna hit up the piggie game next Friday. What’s the outlook on the season? I see we’re #25 preseason bs ranking and piggie is like 7. We not supposed to be that good this year?

This might be the best pitching staff Arkansas has had in some time based on what I've read. I know they go 5-6 deep in the bullpen of guys who can run it up in the mid 90's.

I'm not setting my expectations high the first weekend and I really won't care that much if we look awful. The 2021 squad went 0-3 in Arlington, Kolby Kubicheck was our 3rd starter and we couldn't have hit water if we fell out of a boat. We struck out 46 times in 3 games.

I'll be absolutely thrilled if we go 2-1 and even 1-2 wouldn't be the end of the world if we look competitive.

Edited by Hookem2147

All the College Baseball Showcase coaches were on a zoom earlier today and Pierce joked that Heston Tole "will be our Friday night starter and I don't know why Dave (Van Horn) let him go."

Van Horn laughed "I knew that was coming."

FWIW, Arkansas staff is deep, but there's no elite starters as of now.  Hagan Smith and Jaxon Wiggins have potential to be that guy but can also have pretty bad nights.  I would bet Smith starts Friday.

In the field, only two regular starters return (Stovall and Slavens) and two part timers (Bohrofen and Diggs).  Rest are portal, JUCO or HS guys.  No clue how the new guys will hit and will almost assuredly be a much worse fielding team than Hogs had last year.

5 minutes ago, Don Johnson said:

All the College Baseball Showcase coaches were on a zoom earlier today and Pierce joked that Heston Tole "will be our Friday night starter and I don't know why Dave (Van Horn) let him go."

Van Horn laughed "I knew that was coming."

FWIW, Arkansas staff is deep, but there's no elite starters as of now.  Hagan Smith and Jaxon Wiggins have potential to be that guy but can also have pretty bad nights.  I would bet Smith starts Friday.

In the field, only two regular starters return (Stovall and Slavens) and two part timers (Bohrofen and Diggs).  Rest are portal, JUCO or HS guys.  No clue how the new guys will hit and will almost assuredly be a much worse fielding team than Hogs had last year.

They had a great class of freshman on the mound. It should be interesting to watch. Agreed that they don't have a dominant arm but they will have a lot of options. 

I believe it was a big surprise that Slavens returned. They hammered the portal and juco ranks for position players. 

47 minutes ago, Luv2win said:

Any info on TV coverage streaming or otherwise?

https://www.flobaseball.tv/events/8238459-2023-college-baseball-showdown

Scheduled for FloSports.    I have never watched FloSports,  hopefully others will comment on quality/price.   When you go to their website,  you have to begin the signup process to find the cost.     Hopefully,  we can find a free stream but difficult for FloSports.