2023 Texas Baseball

Fletch

28 minutes ago, torre said:

https://www.flobaseball.tv/events/8238459-2023-college-baseball-showdown

Scheduled for FloSports.    I have never watched FloSports,  hopefully others will comment on quality/price.   When you go to their website,  you have to begin the signup process to find the cost.     Hopefully,  we can find a free stream but difficult for FloSports.

FloSports is the worst. Such bad quality. 

Make sure you pay the one month $30 price and cancel. Don’t fall for the “cheaper” per month that locks you in for the year. 

• Hook 'Em 1

39 minutes ago, StassneyHorn said:

There will be a thread for streaming. Realstreamhub. None of you will bookmark it and I will bitch about it every game.

The only logical thing to do is pm the link for every game along with your cell # cause I know I'm gonna need some help.  Kthanksttysoon

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Don Johnson said:

All the College Baseball Showcase coaches were on a zoom earlier today and Pierce joked that Heston Tole "will be our Friday night starter and I don't know why Dave (Van Horn) let him go."

Van Horn laughed "I knew that was coming."

FWIW, Arkansas staff is deep, but there's no elite starters as of now.  Hagan Smith and Jaxon Wiggins have potential to be that guy but can also have pretty bad nights.  I would bet Smith starts Friday.

In the field, only two regular starters return (Stovall and Slavens) and two part timers (Bohrofen and Diggs).  Rest are portal, JUCO or HS guys.  No clue how the new guys will hit and will almost assuredly be a much worse fielding team than Hogs had last year.

It wouldn’t surprise me if Wiggins starts on Friday either. It’s his draft year and he was dominant in the Fall, though that doesn’t always mean anything.

Defense is definitely the biggest question mark since last year it was incredible but lost so much. 3B and SS are still somewhat up for grabs with position battles. 2/3 of our starting outfield are former Big 12 players in Bohrofen from OU and Josenberger from Kansas so should be interesting if any of the opposing coaches have faced them before.

19 hours ago, StassneyHorn said:

There will be a thread for streaming. Realstreamhub. None of you will bookmark it and I will bitch about it every game.

bookmarked it early last year and just now moved it to top 4. birch.

edit: link not working. pm StassneyHorn prior to games.

Edited by tejas60

22 hours ago, torre said:

https://www.flobaseball.tv/events/8238459-2023-college-baseball-showdown

Scheduled for FloSports.    I have never watched FloSports,  hopefully others will comment on quality/price.   When you go to their website,  you have to begin the signup process to find the cost.     Hopefully,  we can find a free stream but difficult for FloSports.

Ridiculous!

flo in general sucks ass.  I had a subscription for a few months (different event) and of course didn't remember to cancel.  It was something like $36/month, quality was questionable, both of which were mildly tolerable in season, but when I realized I had gone like 9 extra months w/o cancelling my head popped off.

Didn't realize FloSports has an office here in Austin at 3rd & Congress.  And no, I have absolutely no qualms about meeting y'all downtown, grabbing some lunch, walking up there and sitting in their lobby watching their live feed of our games pretending that we have a meeting with someone there later that afternoon (Saturday).  Building is accessibly w/o keycard.  We can probably do the same thing Friday evening for Arkansas.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, YGIFS said:

Didn't realize FloSports has an office here in Austin at 3rd & Congress.  And no, I have absolutely no qualms about meeting y'all downtown, grabbing some lunch, walking up there and sitting in their lobby watching their live feed of our games pretending that we have a meeting with someone there later that afternoon (Saturday).  Building is accessibly w/o keycard.  We can probably do the same thing Friday evening for Arkansas.  

If I still lived in Austin this would be hilarious.   I mean it still is, but I'd be down.

Edited by petscii

2 hours ago, Enchubben said:

Where should I look at buying tickets (what sections)

Pretty much anywhere. If you get down the first base line (where my seats are) you'll be looking into the sun for a bit, but it isn't bad. From dugout to dugout you will be looking through the mesh screen. While it isn't overly bad, I don't care to be looking through it.

Buy some tickets early for that particular game though as it was pretty much a sellout last year due to the Bobcat fans coming up after we had played them down there the previous night.

And it can get a bit rowdy, dude from state was there with his dad across the aisle from me and he had been drinking too much and talking sh*t waaaaay to long. Couple of big cowboys behind him had finally enough of his mouth and were about to pound him when his dad finally got his son (20-30ish) up and out of the stadium before the game ended. It was a wise choice on pop's part.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Enchubben said:

Embarrassing but I’ve never been to a Texas baseball game. Interested in driving up for a weekday game with some friends for the Texas State game in April. Where should I look at buying tickets (what sections) for a pleasurable experience for a 630 first pitch?

1 minute ago, BillyGoatHill said:

Pretty much anywhere. If you get down the first base line (where my seats are) you'll be looking into the sun for a bit, but it isn't bad. From dugout to dugout you will be looking through the mesh screen. While it isn't overly bad, I don't care to be looking through it.

Buy some tickets early for that particular game though as it was pretty much a sellout last year due to the Bobcat fans coming up after we had played them down there the previous night.

And it can get a bit rowdy, dude from state was there with his dad across the aisle from me and he had been drinking too much and talking sh*t waaaaay to long. Couple of big cowboys behind him had finally enough of his mouth and were about to pound him when his dad finally got his son (20-30ish) up and out of the stadium before the game ended. It was a wise choice on pop's part.

According to tweets from CDC the entire season is already sold out, with only SRO tickets left. Might be harder than it has been in the past. 

37 minutes ago, Mo Horn said:

According to tweets from CDC the entire season is already sold out, with only SRO tickets left. Might be harder than it has been in the past. 

It's one thing to buy the tickets, its' another to show up at the Disch. Freeze your ass off in February and March, and bake in May and any extras,....Regionals and Supers. People resale their tickets through the University website all the time.

If you were low on the totem pole being a season ticket holder post Covid BS,  season ('21), you were in the search for tickets. With limited seating for almost the entire season. Whole sections, including mine, were almost completely  closed.  I ran into a couple more than once by the ticket window that gave away multiple tickets for games.  They were season ticket holders for their whole family, but his kids and grandkids couldn't make every game, (especially post covid) so they gave them away. I tried to at least buy him a beer on  multiple occasions, but he would just say to someday pay it forward.

Can't sit by me, but I pretty much gave away my extra for almost every game last year.

Edited by BillyGoatHill

43 minutes ago, Mo Horn said:

Wow !    Can't recall that before,  can you @BillyGoatHill

Will be interesting to see how they enforce the SRO, especially for the midweek less attended games.   Alot of those season tickets packages likely went to the ticket agencies.

1 hour ago, torre said:

Wow !    Can't recall that before,  can you @BillyGoatHill

Will be interesting to see how they enforce the SRO, especially for the midweek less attended games.   Alot of those season tickets packages likely went to the ticket agencies.

No. Pretty sure that has NEVER happened before. I'm wondering if CDC is actually correct on his tweet. That's BS if they did sell season tickets to the agencies. Not a way to build up the family/casual fan base. 

Midweek games (other than TXSt or aggy) are never at capacity. I did notice when it was my time to upgrade my tickets if I wanted too, they did have a complete section down the left field line (can't remember for right) that was entirely a student section only. For a few games last year that were known SRO beforehand, they brought in temporary  bleachers on the left field walk area in front of the food trucks. They actually had a really good sightline. If they truly are sold out this year for big series or midweek games, they need to do that again.

• Hook 'Em 2

I think the Moody Center being sold out to season ticket holders definitely contributed to increased season ticket sales on baseball.  You can get a season ticket in baseball for close to one game secondary market in basketball.  Having said that, I think the Moody Center being sold out and people making money on the secondary market contributed to increased baseball season tickets for people strictly hoping to make money.

Just listened to the full interview with Pierce on The Horn and he said a few interesting things

-He didn't say Gordon was the Friday night guy yet. Said Gordon would slot in as the "Friday or Saturday guy"

-Sounded impressed with the strides Morehouse made

-Schuessler had a finger injury that turned into a blood clot

- "If we can't be good behind the plate or on the mound, we don't have a chance". He didn't come out and say it, but he definitely sounded a little disappointed that one of the catchers hasn't separated themselves yet. Sounds like multiple guys might get chances early in the season, including Galvan.

-To the surprise of no one he said they will be playing a lot more small ball this year

11 hours ago, PantsTent said:

increased baseball season tickets for people strictly hoping to make money.

I love UT baseball and have been going to games here since before the Disch was built but those people are in for an awakening if they think they're going to make money on the secondary market for TX Baseball( especially if they think they are going to cover a season ticket cost 🤣). I may be wrong but that hasn't happened all that much even when we've hosted a Regional or Supers. It's OUTSIDE and per my post above, the weather isn't always (ie. hardly ever) accommodating to being comfortable.

Games this year that will actually be full or SRO IMO....

Texas St midweek game and the Friday Night games against Tech, Baylor, Okie Lite, and Blow U (maybe WV due to late in the season). Maybe the Saturday games get close to full but Austin and UT fans are finicky when there are other things to do on the weekend with the weather being nice.

LSU if it was a weekend late but it is early and it's a Tuesday night  game.

Sorry not sorry, hopefully this is a one time deal, or we will need to EXPAND seating permanently and quickly (should be likely anyway going into SEC. ARKY and a few others pack them in).

See ya at the games. The Road to Omaha starts next Friday! 🤘

• Hook 'Em 2

9 hours ago, Valmy77 said:

I just find it hard to believe that the Mercer-Texas Wednesday Night game is sold out. That's...impossible.

But I see I can buy them on Stubhub for pretty cheap so...not sure what is going on. Why would you buy up UT tickets just to sell them for $4 each?

I'm don't know how many season tickets we normally have but the whole stadium seems like a big jump. Maybe it's just a growing fan base along with all of college baseball, but I do think people missing out on basketball and realizing baseball is much cheaper is playing a part.

As far as resale, you can see the LSU and Tech series listed for $50+ on Stubhub even for the $175 season ticket sections (L/R 3-4).  Only have to sell 4 games at that price to get your money back. We'll see how the market plays out though.

Went to the website to verify sellouts - all sold out.     Noticed the price of a GA Season Ticket is only $99 which is likely the reason for the sellout.

In the past,  there has sometimes been an announcement "we have a limited amount of tickets that will be available at the box office prior to the game."    Don't know if that will still hold true except for SRO.

https://texassports.com/sports/2013/7/22/tickets_0722131531.aspx

Season Tickets

9 minutes ago, torre said:

Went to the website to verify sellouts - all sold out.     Noticed the price of a GA Season Ticket is only $99 which is likely the reason for the sellout.

In the past,  there has sometimes been an announcement "we have a limited amount of tickets that will be available at the box office prior to the game."    Don't know if that will still hold true except for SRO.

https://texassports.com/sports/2013/7/22/tickets_0722131531.aspx

Season Tickets

L5-7 $99 ga season tickets have been for sale for at least a few years 

• Like 1

On 2/9/2023 at 3:48 PM, Hookem2147 said:

Just listened to the full interview with Pierce on The Horn and he said a few interesting things

-He didn't say Gordon was the Friday night guy yet. Said Gordon would slot in as the "Friday or Saturday guy"

-Sounded impressed with the strides Morehouse made

-Schuessler had a finger injury that turned into a blood clot

I like Gordon, but not really as a Friday go-to guy.  That's my number one preseason concern - lack of a shut-'em-down Friday starter.  I'm wondering if Pierce might go with matchups the first weekend and throw Gordon against whichever team has the most lefty hitters.

From what I remember, Morehouse did get some chances at the end of the year, which can only help him. It seems like a big jump to go from not being able to lock down the Tuesday role to Saturday starter, but odder things have happened.

It's a little disappointing that the USC transfer hasn't locked down the catcher spot.

See you guys in Austin for the Tech series.

Pete didn’t pitch as a lock em down Friday guy last year on certain weekends.

I hadn’t really thought it, but I did watch Moneyball last night. Maybe you leave Gordon on Saturday. Then see if Morehouse can give you 5-6 Friday night.

I was counting on Gordon to take that next step. You do need that Friday guy to give you a chance and eat innings. Don’t shake my confidence.

Gordon went from middle reliever in 2021 with 21 innings pitched to Saturday starter last year. He was arguably just as good as Hansen in conference play. I don’t think it’s unrealistic at all to expect him to continue to get a little better. Adding the slider will hopefully help put away hitters earlier in counts.

• Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Gordon went from middle reliever in 2021 with 21 innings pitched to Saturday starter last year. He was arguably just as good as Hansen in conference play. I don’t think it’s unrealistic at all to expect him to continue to get a little better. Adding the slider will hopefully help put away hitters earlier in counts.

if Morehouse (or someone else) can make that same jump this year, that solves a lot of problem. And you're right, there's no reason to think he can't, or that Gordon won't continue to improve.

13 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

What do you mean by this? That you don’t believe we’ve been a good offensive team under Pierce?

I feel like this years roster should be setup better in the bats department for sure.  That might be a big issue this year unless we get some surprises.  

1 hour ago, Hook1997 said:

I feel like this years roster should be setup better in the bats department for sure.  That might be a big issue this year unless we get some surprises.  

It’s going to be a different offensive philosophy for sure. We aren’t going to be hitting the ball out of the ballpark often but this should be one of the better running teams we’ve had in quite a while.

It’s just what happens when you have to replace good players. It creates uncertainty. And the fact we have to replace 6 or 7all at once instead of just 2 or 3. But I would rather be replacing good players than the alternative.

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 1

So sad, Max Belyeu’s grandma passed this morning. She moved to Aledo to watch him play a little over a year ago from Atlanta Tx. She was one of my teachers in the late 80s. Great woman and was the town go-to when you needed a wedding cake or similar. My mother talked to her this past Tuesday. She was super excited about the upcoming game in Arlington. RIP Mrs Womack, I hope he brings it for you this weekend.

• Hook 'Em 5

8 hours ago, Hook1997 said:

Why should they be setup better? Hitters aren’t the easiest thing to come by and we just aged out a great offensive lineup