2023 Texas Baseball

Fletch

6 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

What year was it that A&M Corpus Christi beat us last? Was it 2019 or Augie’s last year? I remember it was like a 6-1 loss. Wasn’t even competitive.

It was late in the 2019 after the team had really fallen apart. And yeah they kicked our ass.

Trying not to be Mr. Overreaction 4 games into the season but I like what I’ve seen from Guillemette behind the plate so far. Seems composed, seems to have good chemistry with the staff and doesn’t look out of place at all.

Also, to see LBJ go out there and throw 3 pitches for strikes in any count was damn impressive. Have to think Woody Williams has made an impact on him. 

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

33 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Trying not to be Mr. Overreaction 4 games into the season but I like what I’ve seen from Guillemette behind the plate so far. Seems composed, seems to have good chemistry with the staff and doesn’t look out of place at all.

Also, to see LBJ go out there and throw 3 pitches for strikes in any count was damn impressive. Have to think Woody Williams has made an impact on him. 

Yeah I’ve seen a lot of little things I like about this team. Just gotta piece it together and Pierce has a good track record at that 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

Swap him and Stehle

2 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

Swap him and Stehle

I'm willing to give Sthele another start or two. Not fair to him that he had to get 7 outs in one inning in his first start.

Maybe they can look at piggybacking Sthele and someone like Hurley on Sunday's. Have each throw 3 innings so the opposing lineup isn't seeing the same guy for 3 AB's.

10 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

I think seeing Sthele against Indiana makes sense. He should get at least one more chance.

That and I sort of want LBJ to start against LSU.

Man I love baseball season. Just a few days between games at most.

Did he look improved to you from last year?  Maybe a little.  He still throws a very hitable ball. Maybe the suggestion to tag team is him is the answer.  I personally have more confidence in Dre at this point.  

Edited by ClubWhatever

45 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

Not increasing the 11.7 is whack 

NIL money is the equalizer I guess 

I'm sure smaller schools are going to really push back on increasing the 11.7 when they are already taking a bath by having a baseball program. For Texas it makes a ton of sense, for Incarnate Word not so much.

The same schools were pushing back on the third paid assistant and I believe some have said they aren't going to fund a third paid assistant spot even though it passed.

Speaking of which, the third paid assistant should be a gamechanger at the big time programs. You will likely see a lot of schools chase after guys in the professional ranks to fill that open spot. Those guys are coming back to college ball because 1) big time colleges pay better than being the minor league hitting coordinator for the Tigers 2) don't have to be away from your family for 7 months a year like in pro ball

My 10-minute researched Indiana scouting report after using google and watching some YouTube highlights

-Pitching sucked last year and replaced the entire weekend rotation. Friday night guy is a soft tossing lefty transfer from Sienna (had a memorable outing last year where he struck out 19 against mighty Niagara). Saturday guy is another lefty who was in the bullpen last year and Sunday was a right handed transfer from Western Kentucky who probably throws the hardest out of the 3

-Friday and Saturday guys seem like they might have some control problems. Each walked 4 in a little over 2 innings in their first starts.

-Auburn struck out 24 times in 3 games in their first series

-4 lefties in the everyday lineup. Might be a big weekend for Stuart and Shaw out of the pen.

- Returned 8 of their top 9 hitters last year, including all 3 guys who batted above .300.

-Matthew Ellis and Carter Mathison are the big boppers. 18 and 19 homers last year, respectively. 

-Predicted to finish in the middle of the pack in the Big Ten this year. I'll say we take 2 of 3 just because who knows what we have with this team yet.

• Hook 'Em 2

We’ve seen 7 games with this team.  First impressions are holding.  There is enough pitching.  Offense is going to be a problem.  There is little slugging and little speed.  We outhit Indiana by a whopping 1 hit, 18-17, and looked slow and stupid on the bases.  Based on past performance there is only one hitter who we can say is in a semi-slump and that is Campbell.  Otherwise there is nothing to suggest this bunch will get much better.  The freshmen could improve over the year but that’s a complete unknown.  Right now they need a LOT of work, both in the field and at the plate.   Frankly, I think we will do well to be .500 in conference.  I believe Pierce has failed to build a competitive roster.   Saying we had to replace a lot is true but, not an acceptable excuse.  

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

Just had to look back last year at the conference standings and was reminded we went 14-10 in Big 12 play. The series loss at Kansas State and the home sweep by OSU killed us. I need to see a little bit more of these other Big 12 teams before drawing conclusions. We play probably the best two teams on the road (OSU and TCU), but the other 2 road series are probably against the two worst teams (Baylor and Kansas).

Edited by Hookem2147

12 minutes ago, zlavydra said:

I was looking at last year's roster and was reminded of the existence of Justin Eckhardt. He followed Sean Allen to Columbus, where he's made 2 starts, giving up 10 runs in 9.2 innings.

The fact we have actual starting pitching depth this year will help us not get randomly lit up in midweek games like last year when we had to trot out Eckhardt and Joshua Stewart.

Think about the last 4 starting pitchers we threw out to face A&M in the midweek game:

2018- Nico O’Donnell (recorded one out)

2019- Some dude named Owen Meaney (lasted 2 innings)

2021- Pete Hansen (before he was moved to the rotation)

2022- Justin Eckhardt

One of those is not like the others

• Hook 'Em 2