2023 Texas Baseball

Fletch

Seeing Campbell square some up last night was encouraging. Need him to go off like he did at the end of the year last year. Thomas and Flores are gonna get better throughout the year. GG is a badass. Porter brown is also an badass. Even Daly has been taking some nice swings. Would be nice if O’Dowd didn’t swing at fucking everything. Whatever. I think we’re gonna be alright in the long run 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Hookem2147 said:

Cross-posting from the NIL thread. Baseball NIL update from Texas One Fund (note how much LSU spent on their roster this year)

I'm 100% down to contribute to a baseball only NIL.  However there is a lack of transparency on the website as well as a lot of wiggle word language on the site.

Do they have breakdowns of what was taken in and what was paid to each player for verification?

Seems like there is a lot of room for abuse there.

10 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

Looks like we have to get ESPN+ if we want to watch Texas this weekend.  Little preview of things to come in the SEC.

2 minutes ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

and Dish is still down, so no ESPN+ login for me

https://therealstreamhub.site/showthread.php?tid=947&page=2

Good chance (no guarantee) of link being posted above.   Scroll to bottom.

Fullerton weather,  low 60's, high 50's,  minimal wind.   Outfield may be soft due to past heavy rainfall.

https://weather.com/weather/tenday/l/74c33e956c7c923366717ac3d7eefa9de4e9b8e94ee3dd76a7a5548baf5eb1f0

• Hook 'Em 1

46 minutes ago, kingkoopa6 said:

Noice! Boys in town! 

cal state fully has a small uphill road to the field with a big ass picture of Augie. I’ll see if I can find it again. Been a lil minute since I’ve been. 

the softball team use to come often.

look for this shirt on espn+

1DFAAD04-1570-44F8-A68B-5C953A69EC7E.png

I think you meant to say "look for this shirt on espn++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++"

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, NorthLoop said:

ESPN+ is cheap, and it's always offered in bundles with Disney+, which you should all have anyways or you're dumb. 

If you don't already have Hulu and Disney+, then wtf you even doing. It's basically pennies to add ESPN+ into that bundle and has 8-9 months of college sports content. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

I’m not baseball recruiting expert so maybe the resident experts can answer. I was under the impression baseball rosters are easier to fill with all the juco guys and portal talent that flips. What’s pierce strength? Coaching and development or recruiting? I didn’t expect this much of a drop off from I guy I expect to reload the roster at Texas. I’ll hang up and listen and fuck myself if my question is stupid.

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

I’m not baseball recruiting expert so maybe the resident experts can answer. I was under the impression baseball rosters are easier to fill with all the juco guys and portal talent that flips. What’s pierce strength? Coaching and development or recruiting? I didn’t expect this much of a drop off from I guy I expect to reload the roster at Texas. I’ll hang up and listen and fuck myself if my question is stupid.

Coaching third base.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

It’s not a stupid question. In my mind there is no excuse for the talent deficit on this team.  Having the best offense in program history does not mean it’s ok or expected to have a bad offense the next year.

as far as Pierce’s strength I’m not sure.  Maybe it is management of the club I season.  He does tend to get a lot out of the available talent, but not always.  That would be one reason for patience here.  But I just don’t see the raw material for a team that can win anything.  

I know he’s made it to Omaha a few times but is he the guy to get us to a championship is my question. Should those recruiting concerns worry us with the move to the SEC in 2024? Baseball is about to get a lot more competitive with SEC competition as well. 

Edited by BurntOrange&White

30 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

It’s not a stupid question. In my mind there is no excuse for the talent deficit on this team.  Having the best offense in program history does not mean it’s ok or expected to have a bad offense the next year.

as far as Pierce’s strength I’m not sure.  Maybe it is management of the club I season.  He does tend to get a lot out of the available talent, but not always.  That would be one reason for patience here.  But I just don’t see the raw material for a team that can win anything.  

I mean was the portal and the juco ranks dry with no talent or is he not good at reloading with talent? I don’t wanna knee jerk as he’s gotten us to Omaha a few times but I expect Texas to be top 10 year to year. 

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

Hopefully UT is back at Minute Maid in 2024. The crowds this year were tiny compared to last year 

Believe they said a while back that they will alternate between Globe Life and Minute Maid for early season tournaments. Unless the SEC move changes any of that for some reason, you would think it would continue.

• Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Believe they said a while back that they will alternate between Globe Life and Minute Maid for early season tournaments. Unless the SEC move changes any of that for some reason, you would think it would continue.

After the 1st two trips, f globe life.  We should mix in Corpus, Round Rock, and Frisco in the odd years.  Maybe even go out to Arizona for MLB network's tournament.

• Hook 'Em 1

image.thumb.png.7fd681248309c3038d64e514429b9b00.png

-Porter Brown is pretty much right in line with his career averages 

-Campbell 3rd on the team in OBP despite the low average because of all the walks

-.659 slugging % for EK so far this year compared to .471 last year

-4 freshman who we have been counting on the most (Flores, Thomas, Duplantier, Galvan) are a combined 11 for 74 (.148).

-Need to find a way to get Duplantier and Carlson more AB's, especially against lefties where we struggle mightily (whole lineup has been far better against righties)

-It is time for Jared Thomas to start repping in the OF. At a minimum we need to have flexibility to get Porter Brown out of the field when we are nursing small leads in the late innings.

-On pace for 50 homers as a team

-We somehow are the only team in the Big 12 who doesn't seem to get hit by pitches. Every other league member has at least 8. West Virginia and Tech have over 20. We have 3.

image.thumb.png.a7697dd01d6d81f3ef731de9175427ae.png

-5 guys with ERA's under 4.00 if you don't include Whitehead who only has 1 appearance

-ERA for our starters is 2.78 if you throw out LBJ's two relief innings

-Averaging 10.36 strikeouts per 9 as a staff. Last year we were at 9.

-Averaging 4 walks per 9 as a staff. Last year we were at 3.65

-5 allowed homers through 11 games is fewest in the Big 12

-.228 BAA this year so far compared to .241

-Was also surprised to see our fielding % is 5th in the Big 12. I guess that only includes errors and not plays that should be made that are scored hits.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, Tylerocks said:

I don't have anything to compare it to and don't know if it's the college game in general so maybe I'm talking out my ass, but...

It seems like we strikeout a shitload.  and has seemed that way for a few years.

Part of it is the college game in general. Part of it is we've had a lot of strikeout prone players the last few years.

We struck out about 8 times per game in 2022, 8.6 in 2021. This year is at 8.9 so far.

10 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Part of it is the college game in general. Part of it is we've had a lot of strikeout prone players the last few years.

We struck out about 8 times per game in 2022, 8.6 in 2021. This year is at 8.9 so far.

Seems its just the direction all of baseball is trending… in 2017 MLB had 40,000 Strikeouts for first time ever, 1998 was first year over 30,000. 

• Like 1

image.thumb.png.7fd681248309c3038d64e514429b9b00.png

-Averaging 4 walks per 9 as a staff. Last year we were at 3.65

The perception versus reality stat thus far. Purely a guess, but I don’t think 3.65 is bad for college. Generally speaking the view of last years staff was a bit skewed. They did start very strong then faded a bit. Let’s hope this year is not a repeat.

Obviously, the frosh need to hit. Garret G and Campbell need to produce. They’ve given us little the last week.

38 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

The perception versus reality stat thus far. Purely a guess, but I don’t think 3.65 is bad for college. Generally speaking the view of last years staff was a bit skewed. They did start very strong then faded a bit. Let’s hope this year is not a repeat.

Obviously, the frosh need to hit. Garret G and Campbell need to produce. They’ve given us little the last week.

Correct. 3.65 is not bad at all and it was actually closer to 3.5 in conference play so a little bit better. Only OU walked fewer per game. If you are at 4 or lower, you are doing pretty good in the college game.

Our BAA in Big 12 play last year was .245 so that will be something to follow once conference play starts.

Maybe the emergence of Powell will take some pressure off Guillemette and Campbell. They need to get Guillemette out of the cleanup spot if possible.

Edited by Hookem2147

Correct. 3.65 is not bad at all and it was actually closer to 3.5 in conference play so a little bit better. Only OU walked fewer per game. If you are at 4 or lower, you are doing pretty good in the college game.
Our BAA in Big 12 play last year was .245 so that will be something to follow once conference play starts.
Maybe the emergence of Powell will take some pressure off Guillemette and Campbell. They need to get Guillemette out of the cleanup spot if possible.

Are you suggesting Powell at clean up? I’m not sure who else we got.

I’ve been pointing out the negative of those two (Campbell, GG) but they are capable players. The frosh appear capable. But damn if they haven’t all struggled.

EKs done well so I am hesitant to jack with him, but DC is better at getting on base than hitting for average. He puts a little pressure on the D when on base too. We simply can’t keep losing games. You could try Campbell, Daly, EK, Brown as cleanup. Then flip GG and Powell depending on matchup. Right now, we’ve got no one so perfect that they should be locked in a spot. Play the hot hands or the hotter hands since there aren’t many hot ones now.

If the pitching can hang tough, I do think hitting will improve and have us very competitive in conference.

24 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

Are you suggesting Powell at clean up? I’m not sure who else we got.

I’ve been pointing out the negative of those two (Campbell, GG) but they are capable players. The frosh appear capable. But damn if they haven’t all struggled.

EKs done well so I am hesitant to jack with him, but DC is better at getting on base than hitting for average. He puts a little pressure on the D when on base too. We simply can’t keep losing games. You could try Campbell, Daly, EK, Brown as cleanup. Then flip GG and Powell depending on matchup. Right now, we’ve got no one so perfect that they should be locked in a spot. Play the hot hands or the hotter hands since there aren’t many hot ones now.

If the pitching can hang tough, I do think hitting will improve and have us very competitive in conference.

Like you said, we don't have a ton of options when it comes to moving guys up/down in the lineup because there are only a few playing good. If it was me, against a righty starter I would roll out:

CF Kennedy, RF Campbell, LF Brown, 1B Powell, C Guillemette, 2B O'Dowd, SS Daly, 3B Carlson, DH Thomas. This is assuming that Thomas isn't ready to play the OF, because if he is then he needs to be out there over Brown. Thomas is tad taller than Powell but Powell just has an overall bigger frame that I think makes him more a natural 1B receiving throws.

Against lefties, you can maybe move Powell down a spot or two and move up Carlson while DH'ing Duplantier. And just continue to sprinkle in Flores when you can and cross your fingers the game just slows down for him with time.

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Like 1

Some overall Big 12 stats. Some of it does need to be taken with a grain of salt because some teams haven't played anyone with a pulse yet (Kansas, Tech until this past weekend) while others have played quite a few teams with a pulse (TCU, Texas). And then there are a bunch of teams in the middle (K-State, OSU, OU, WVU) who have played 2 or 3 tough games and then beaten up on schools no one has heard of. It will be interesting to view this a week from now after Texas has played their creampuff because then everyone should be on a semi-level playing field.

Screenshot2023-03-06at2_14_24PM.thumb.png.0249929d2d86e94d8271f1af81264431.png

image.thumb.png.30c9c86b5b140ea19411dc1546b2de56.png

Edited by Hookem2147

OB baseball writer with a NIL note on this past offseason, preview of SHSU and Mercer

Spoiler

On the NIL front, every claims that Texas should have done more in the portal during the offseason and brought in a bunch of 1st Rounders. The Longhorns went after numerous guys, each of whom ended up playing for other teams and it was not because Texas did a poor job of recruiting them or chasing top talent. In each of the instances, Texas lost in large part to anemic NIL efforts. Maui Ahuna (Tennessee), Jauron Watts-Brown (Okie State), Paul Skenes (LSU) and several others all had Texas in their final group of schools, but the offers were simply better elsewhere. Despite the belief that Texas athletics is swimming in money, the fact is that the VAST majority of NIL goes to football. The Texas One Fund is helping change that to a small degree, but the Longhorn base simply has not provided the level of support in numbers that football has received. 

The other issue during the offseason is that there were not a massive number of difference makers on the market. Unlike the prior season, the transfer portal had a large number of guys, but not a ton of instant impact difference makers. I can say with complete confidence and from having heard about it first hand that the Texas staff evaluated quite a few portalees and none of them provided anything close to a guarantee that they could be big time difference makers this season.

Tuesday Matchup:
Sam Houston (6-7, 0-0 WAC)
All Time Series: Horns lead 82-19
Last Meeting: Horns won 9-2

Bearkats have been a bit of Jekyll and Hyde this season. They started off well including wins in Round Rock during the Karbach Classic over Iowa and K-State, but then endured a 5 game losing streak to LSU, Rice, Texas State and Illinois before bouncing back with a Sunday win over the Fightin' Illini this past Sunday. 

Joe Redfield (.405 BA, 1.180 OPS) has been the big offensive star of the season so far, but surprisingly, 2022 stalwart Carlos Contreras has really struggled at the plate and is only hitting .190 on the season. The Bearkats are definitely a team that can be spotty at the plate but have plenty of power having hit 16 home runs already this season. 

Team Stats:
BA .283
ERA 5.95
Fielding .971

Tues - Pitching Matchups:
Texas RHP Lebarron Johnson Jr (1-1, 2.25) vs. Sam Houston LHP Gavi Coldiron (0-0, 9.00)

LHP Gavi Coldiron represents the latest LHP to face the Longhorns (are there no RHP out there anymore??). He has made 4 appearances and 1 start on the season, having pitched 9 innings. During his appearances, including the latest on Friday against Illinois, he has throw a lot of pitches in his limited appearances, so the Horns need to be patience and get deep into counts. 

Against Mcneese State, he got roughed up to start the year and had an equally rough relief appearance against LSU. Against Texas State and Illinois he was much better only giving up 1 run in 3 innings of work, but he also threw a lot of pitches. 

Wednesday Matchup:
Mercer (9-4, 0-0 SoCon)
First Meeting All Time

The Bears of Mercer travel to Austin on Wednesday to face off against the Horns for the first time in both schools history. The Bears have played a pretty weak schedule so far this season with their only big test against a talented Georgia Southern squad during the mid-week who dismantled them 11-0. The Bears come in riding a 4 game winning streak after having swept Belleramine in 4 games this past weekend. 

Mercer is another team that has plenty of power in the lineup having hit 17 home runs already this season. The offense this season has revolved around Eric Toth (.364), Reid Brown (.350) and Treyson Hughes (.333). Ty Dalley (.265) does not have a great BA this season but he does an OPS of 1.042 and has smacked 4 HRs already. Defensively, the Bears are solid on the diamond, sporting a .980 fielding percentage.

Team Stats:
BA .263
ERA 5.40
Fielding .980

Wed - Pitching Matchups:
Texas TBD v. Mercer TBD

For the Horns - I have no clue who Coach Pierce will turn to, but it is not out of the question he gives Charlie Hurley a start or he could turn to a guy like Andre Duplantier, but no matter what it will almost certainly be a all hands on deck day in which he empties the pen. 

If I had to guess, I think the Bears will start one of the following three pitchers on Wednesday:
RHP Garret Sloan (0-1, 2.70 ERA)
RHP Walt Thomas (0-0, 3.00 ERA)
LHP Jess Ackerman (2-0, 5.63 ERA)

5 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

I would be cautious of our current team ERA. While our pitching has been pretty good, our defense is pretty terrible. 

Cautious in what sense? Agree that the defense has been terrible, but that's why ERA is earned runs. And the final 2 runs on Sunday were both "earned" because our terrible defense allowed the two bloop singles to fall, so if anything, the ERA could be better.

13 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Cautious in what sense? Agree that the defense has been terrible, but that's why ERA is earned runs. And the final 2 runs on Sunday were both "earned" because our terrible defense allowed the two bloop singles to fall, so if anything, the ERA could be better.

Cautious of thinking that because our ERA is fine that our ability to prevent teams from scoring is. 

19 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

You can win with a 3.36 team ERA for sure.  It's not like we've played a bunch of patsies.

I'm concerned the lower half of our order won't come around at the plate.  I don't see much reason to be optimistic.

I was specifically responding to JJ. We can win with a 3.36 ERA. We can’t win with a 3.36 ERA and the level of defense we play.

• Hook 'Em 1

The field turf versus grass is potentially significant too. I was thinking last year versus ECU we had a few uncharacteristic errors due to the grass surface. That not it was bad but different. It won’t explain all deficiencies, but it’s an adjustment for inexperienced guys.

8 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

bad effort

I have yet to see this. 

No one is out there just giving half ass effort and not caring. A few of them (Porter Brown) have some physical limitations that were evident at their previous stops or in previous seasons, but it's never as simple as good effort means good defense. If it was the case then baseball would be a lot easier than it is.

Edited by Hookem2147

18 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

bad defense = bad coaching = bad effort = deeper issues 

imo 

This is reaching. Defense hasn't been a problem under Pierce. The more likely issue is that we're playing bad defense because we are putting bad defensive players out there. 

• Hook 'Em 1