2023 Texas Baseball

Fletch

3 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

So the CWS has been played since 1947. 75 years. And Texas has the second most appearances in the title game with 12 (and one of those appearances was back when only 4 teams made it to Omaha). So 16% of the time they have made it to the finals.

And yet we had someone say last night that any season that doesn't end with at least one win in Omaha is "unacceptable".

Texas' 38 CWS appearances represent just a hair over 50% of the total that have been held.  USC has the second most appearances at 21 which represent 28% of the total that have been held.  

10 hours ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

Texas' 38 CWS appearances represent just a hair over 50% of the total that have been held.  USC has the second most appearances at 21 which represent 28% of the total that have been held.  

So just getting there and shitting the bed is a good season? You might want to start rooting for the Aggies you would fit in well

• Fuck You 23

19 minutes ago, austintiger said:

So just getting there and shitting the bed is a good season? You might want to start rooting for the Aggies you would fit in well

When the Aggies make it, it's a historic season, given that last year they chalked up their first wins in Omaha in almost 30 years 

Getting to Omaha is the expectation every year. So a season that ends in Nebraska is a good season.

I'm short, you're a complete dipshit and your act is beyond tired.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

While USC has the most championships (12), they are actually 5th in appearances...

TEXAS overall has 38 appearances with 6 titles (last 2005 w/6x runner-up) 🤘

Miami overall 25 appearances with 4 titles (last 1995)

Florida St.,  23 appearances (3x runner-up)

Arizona,  22 times with 5 titles (last 2012)

USC, 21 times with 12x champion (last in '98)

1 hour ago, MuellerHorn said:

That would suck. 

Would be better than getting sent to Baton Rouge or Fayetteville. 

If you are going to be a 2-seed, hope you get sent somewhere where the environment won't be overwhelming (OU getting sent to Gainesville last year, Texas State getting sent out to Stanford, etc.) Hell, if we got sent to DBU's regional it would basically be a home regional.

South Carolina has tradition and a solid fan base, but it wouldn't be anything like getting sent to Arkansas or LSU.

6 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Would be better than getting sent to Baton Rouge or Fayetteville. 

If you are going to be a 2-seed, hope you get sent somewhere where the environment won't be overwhelming (OU getting sent to Gainesville last year, Texas State getting sent out to Stanford, etc.) Hell, if we got sent to DBU's regional it would basically be a home regional.

South Carolina has tradition and a solid fan base, but it wouldn't be anything like getting sent to Arkansas or LSU.

True. USCe is really good offensively. That's more of what I was referencing with my comment.

Hopefully Texas can finish well enough that they don't get send any of those places.

4 minutes ago, MuellerHorn said:

True. USCe is really good offensively. That's more of what I was referencing with my comment.

Hopefully Texas can finish well enough that they don't get send any of those places.

Sure would be nice if we took 2 of 3 this weekend. Would likely put us in control of our own destiny again regarding a regional and everything would likely come down to the final series against WVU.

Edited by Hookem2147

24 minutes ago, MuellerHorn said:

I'd like Texas to host in Austin, baring that I'd like Texas sent to Stanford.  Since I live on the best coast.  :)

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Herpa Derpa said:

D1

FAYETTEVILLE   BLOOMINGTON
1 Arkansas (5)                        1 Indiana* (12)
4 SE Missouri State*   4 Wright State*

2 Texas   2 Tennessee
3 Iowa   3 Notre Dame

Correct me if I am wrong*, they don't usually stick us in regionals/super regionals where we played the teams before in the same season.  This does not seem likely to me.  Having said that I'd be down for an Arky regional trip I think.

barring/baring atomic typos are the worst.

2 minutes ago, petscii said:

Correct me if I am wrong*, they don't usually stick us in regionals/super regionals where we played the teams before in the same season.  This does not seem likely to me.  Having said that I'd be down for an Arky regional trip I think.

barring/baring atomic typos are the worst.

They definitely avoid sticking teams from the same conference in a regional together, but I don’t think they have an issue with sticking two teams together who played in non conference play. We had a series with UCLA in 2017 and then ended up playing them again in the Long Beach regional. Same with Air Force last year and A&M/Texas Southern in 2018.

1 minute ago, Hookem2147 said:

They definitely avoid sticking teams from the same conference in a regional together, but I don’t think they have an issue with sticking two teams together who played in non conference play. We had a series with UCLA in 2017 and then ended up playing them again in the Long Beach regional. Same with Air Force last year and A&M/Texas Southern in 2018.

And Rice in 2014.  

10 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Especially when Texas/Arky played in March in a single game.  It's not like they are rematching a 3 game series, which also happens, as you note.

Geography is just geography too.  If a UH/aggy isn't hosting, Texas will likely be sent somewhere relatively close (Arky)

Witt 36, Gordon 273, LBJ 289 and Morehouse 375 (don't shoot the messenger, I guess MLB teams like dudes who throw hard).

Thought it was interesting that there was no Campbell, Guillemette or Brown. Campbell obviously is the most surprising. Guess we will worry more about that come draft time.

27 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

I'm not seeing the TCU changes on our site or theirs.  And that twitter link no workie.  Anhybody got an updated link?  We were possibly gonna visit wife's family in Forth Worth and catch a game this weekend.  

Texas At TCU Series Dates Changed Due To Weather

Saturday's Game 1 first pitch comes at 6:00 p.m. CT, the originally-scheduled time. This game will be broadcast on ESPNU. Sunday's Game 2 comes at 1:00 p.m. and Monday's rescheduled Game 3 also begins at 1:00 p.m

Texas At TCU New Dates

• Game 1: Saturday, April 29, 6:00 p.m. CT (ESPNU)
  • Game 2: Sunday, April 30, 1:00 p.m. CT (Big 12 Now on ESPN+)
  • Game 3: Monday, May 1, 1:00 p.m. CT (Big 12 Now on ESPN+)

https://www.si.com/college/tcu/baseball/tcu-baseball-series-vs-texas-delayed-due-to-weather

• Hook 'Em 3

5 hours ago, Horny Bull said:

1 hour ago, torre said:

Texas At TCU Series Dates Changed Due To Weather

Saturday's Game 1 first pitch comes at 6:00 p.m. CT, the originally-scheduled time. This game will be broadcast on ESPNU. Sunday's Game 2 comes at 1:00 p.m. and Monday's rescheduled Game 3 also begins at 1:00 p.m

Texas At TCU New Dates

• Game 1: Saturday, April 29, 6:00 p.m. CT (ESPNU)
  • Game 2: Sunday, April 30, 1:00 p.m. CT (Big 12 Now on ESPN+)
  • Game 3: Monday, May 1, 1:00 p.m. CT (Big 12 Now on ESPN+)

https://www.si.com/college/tcu/baseball/tcu-baseball-series-vs-texas-delayed-due-to-weather

Slight change 

• Hook 'Em 1

40 minutes ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

It is absolutely perfect out right now about 15 minutes from their field. They could have played Friday afternoon instead of Monday. 

Yeah, I was wondering about this.  I know there's final exams this morning for a handful of players so I guess that was the sticking point.  But woulda been nice to knock out game one this afternoon or just double-header Saturday.  This new schedule is just goofy considering more players have final exams on Monday than do today.  Maybe ESPNU, I suppose?  I dunno.  Let's just fucking sweep!  

Curious to see how we play 10 games after finals when in most seasons it was 2-3 games per usual.  

10 games remaining. You are who you are at this point.

Screenshot2023-05-02at10_08_10AM.thumb.png.11700bc2a26884189bf06ab862cc29c2.png

It is interesting to me to look at the pitching stats compared to last year. At the end of the year last year, we had 3 pitchers with double digit innings pitched who had ERA's under 3.00.....Tanner Witt, Marcus Olivarez and Jared Southard. This year we currently have 6 (Gordon, Shaw, Duplantier, LBJ, Tole and Burke). The gap between the good and the bad in this staff appears to be more pronounced than last year.

Screenshot2023-05-02at10_08_23AM.thumb.png.4f8e83e4cd07cce17fbc0a9c5fa868da.png

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, ClubWhatever said:

So here's an interesting chart.  Texas players taken in 20th round or sooner (rounds were cut in 2019).  How many do you think get drafted this year?  I'm going to guess 4, although 1 has yet to show he can contribute this year.

image.png.8cc5dbdde1c250a7294456126ced39ec.png

4 is the safe bet- Witt, Campbell, Gordon and LBJ. There will be 2-3 HS signees drafted as well.

Borderline (in my mind) are Guillemette (defensive question marks), Brown (older guy, defense isn't good), Powell (again, older guy and not sure he profiles to 3B at the next level), Morehouse (MLB teams love guys who throw hard even if they have no idea where it's going). 

A big focus this offseason needs to be getting the borderline guys like Guillemette/Brown/Powell back on campus for another year. In the NIL world, it should be realistic and would significantly raise the floor for next year's team.

1 minute ago, Horny Bull said:

That is a crazy ERA to see for Witt. I know super small sample size, it is just funny to see that ERA stat line for a starting pitcher.

Outside of that I am excited to see him get out there again and hopefully he got nerves out Monday and is ready to rock.

10-minute researched Kansas scouting report:

• I actually like their Friday night starter Baumgartner and have seen him throw a few times on TV this year. He can get into the mid 90's with the fastball. He hasn't allowed more than 4 runs in any conference start so he isn't someone we are likely to tag for 8 runs in 5 innings. Averaging a strikeout per inning. Walks have ticked up a bit his last handful of starts but overall he has good control.
  • Cashero is someone they recently moved into the weekend rotation. JUCO kid. Fastball in the low 90's maybe up to 93-94 but it is straight as an arrow. Barely walks anyone. Batters hitting over .300 against him. Ireland is another righty who throws relatively hard but doesn't get a ton of swing and miss. Has allowed 11 homers on the year.
  • Thaniel Trumper and Stone Hewlett are go-to relievers. Hewlett has two saves in Big 12 play. Both are averaging about a strikeout per inning with ERA's around 4.5. Trumper is the better of the two imo but Hewlett seems to be who they go to in high leverage spots.
  • Gavin Brasosky is their top lefty reliever and will likely be the guy they turn to for 4 scoreless innings at some point this weekend.
  • Not a big strikeout staff as a whole. Second fewest strikeouts in conference play, only in front of OU. They also walk and hit a lot of batters.
  • They are probably average offensively. Hitting .278 as a team and .276 in conference play. 3 guys hitting over .300 for the year. Their second baseman Kodey Shojinaga is hitting over .400 in Big 12 play. Good hitter. Michael Brooks the third baseman is another good player.
  • They strikeout a lot, don't walk a ton and barely attempt to steal bases.
  • Second worst fielding % in conference play, only in front of Baylor.

They can swing it a little bit which makes me nervous with this pitching staff we are trotting out there. They obviously took that series at West Virginia about a month ago but are 1-8 in conference play since then. If I remember correctly, the ball tends to fly pretty well at their park. It is nice that we won't have to worry about the running game at all.

I'll say we take 2 of 3 just because I don't trust this team. But obviously a sweep is pretty necessary if we want to stay within striking distance of WVU.