2023 Texas Baseball

Fletch

Interesting that basketball is not mentioned.

@closetojumping Any info that can be made public about the Texas baseball and softball programs ?   Thanks !

LUBBOCK, TX- The Matador Club, a Texas Tech Alumni-run NIL collective, announced on Tuesday that they would be signing the entire Texas Tech baseball team to “five-figure NIL deals.”

This is the third team-wide NIL deal by the Matador Club for a Red Raider program, joining the Texas Tech football and softball teams. The collective will have members of the baseball team use their name, image, and likeness to support Lubbock-based non-profit organizations.

The exact amount that each Red Raider baseball player will make has not been disclosed at this time

Texas Tech baseball signed to team-wide NIL deal (everythinglubbock.com)

Edited by torre

Few notes from OB on Pierce’s media session today 

-Usual coach speak about this weekend. Focusing on winning game 1, not putting pressure on themselves, etc.

-Said he feels really good about 1 through 6 in the lineup. Sounds like both Daly and Flores will get chances at SS this series.

-Said some guys in the bullpen have made tweaks. Minchey made a small change in the way he throws his changeup and has gotten good results, Hurley made an adjustment with his slider, they tweaked Morehouse’s arm slot after watching some video from last week.

-Sthele will follow Witt again Saturday, but he will also be available Thursday out of the bullpen if needed.

-Said he isn’t afraid to talk with the players about big picture stuff in terms of the postseason and RPI.

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

From email    If interested,  call ticket office at 512-471-333 or visit texassports.com.     Saturday is Senior Day, always good to attend.

Note that beginning Friday,  aggy and Texas St will be in town for the Softball Regional which will further complicate traffic/parking.

Looking to attend a Longhorn baseball game this week? Limited tickets for this weekend's series against #6 West Virginia have just been released! Select inventory is available in the grandstands and walk-up tickets will be available while inventory remains at the ticket sales window of UFCU Disch-Falk Field.

Here is what you know for the weekend:
Gates open 90 minutes prior to first pitch for all three games.
  • Tonight, Thursday, May 18 | First Pitch: 6:30 p.m. | Gates open: 5 p.m.
  • TraDISCHions Honoree: Bill Bethea 
  • First 300 fans receive a free t-shirt 
  • Tomorrow, Friday, May 19 | First Pitch: 6:30 p.m. | Gates open: 5 p.m.
  • Salute to Service Game
  • First 300 fans receive a free Salute to Service t-shirt 
  • Saturday, May 20 | First Pitch: 2:30 p.m. | Gates open: 1 p.m.
  • Senior Day: Arrive early to UFCU Disch-Falk Field as our 2023 senior class is recognized pre-game
  • Kids (12 and under) run the bases post-game
  • Happy Hour pricing on beverages until the playing of the National Anthem
  • $3 off select drinks
  • Texas Baseball Yeti collection available at 5 locations throughout the stadium
  • NEW TraDISCHions Yeti available during Thursday’s TraDISCHions game

2 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

RPI points needed

Screenshot2023-05-18at10_27_40AM.thumb.png.c83ec25d9dc3aa3847e2905414379edf.png

What tonight's game is worth

Screenshot2023-05-18at10_27_48AM.png.43789b8f59b5aa78a5d81af480271e37.png

OK, I'll bite.

So it's not possible for Texas to host a 1st-round-regional this year because they can't possibly get their RPI high enough to be in the Top 16?

(Hosting Super Regionals are always possible depending on how the chips fall.)

A sweep of WVU/champs of Big XII and making it to the title game of the tourney and a reasonable amount of help from some other teams losing, we'd host (you don't technically have to be Top 16, there are other factors).  But yeah, shy of that.  We're a preferred #2 sent somewhere close where we can have a decent shot of an upset with another #2 upsetting their host and we get to have the Supers here.  

40 minutes ago, NorthLoop said:

What does this chart mean

18 minutes ago, BachelorTrek said:

OK, I'll bite.

So it's not possible for Texas to host a 1st-round-regional this year because they can't possibly get their RPI high enough to be in the Top 16?

(Hosting Super Regionals are always possible depending on how the chips fall.)

The chart is the number of RPI points that separate Texas from being in that spot. Each game you play has RPI point implications (positive if you win, negative if you lose. You get penalized more for home losses and rewarded more for road wins.). You also can get or lose a small number of RPI points from the performance of previous opponents in their games (indirect RPI implications). Here's an example of a few indirect impact games and how they would impact Texas (so if San Jose State wins tonight, Texas gains 2.9 RPI points). It's what makes the SOS impact important in RPI.

Screenshot2023-05-18at1_31_04PM.thumb.png.e26a0627cc4bc14ff0636e11b57c7e74.png

It's impossible to say Texas can't sneak into the top 15 or 20 or whatever because teams lose RPI points when they lose games, and certain losses to bad teams can torpedo your RPI and everyone behind you moves up. For example, we lost about 40 RPI points by losing game 1 to San Jose State, and only gained about 14 points from the 2 wins that followed. 

Each win against WVU looks like it would be worth about 30 RPI points, which is quite a bit.

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 1

Winning the conference ain't too bad for a team that some thought wouldn't score 6 runs more than 3 times this season.

giphy.gif
I wanted to take that stupid fuckers bet when he spouted that dumb shit statement at the beginning of the year, but I quit Betting on things that I have no control (sports) of looooong ago…

WINNERS please post about your + money on this stupid fucking bet

Another year where the conference tournament matters a bunch and we need to play well. I prefer the years where we lock up a hosting spot before and can play it like Augie liked to, but I guess I can't complain about the opportunity to possibly host a regional.

I went into this weekend just hoping for a win and let everything else fall where it may. a sweep seemed highly unlikely

But WV clearly went into this weekend with a "dont lose the conference" mentality. not pitching their ace, and then getting smoked the first 2 days freaked them out.  and then we knocked their starter out today after 30 something pitches in the first inning. 

Well done team. 

• Hook 'Em 4

I understood why WVU managed their "ace" the way they did, they wanted to take a minimum of one game on the road.  

That said, this series was an epic reminder of how fickle baseball can be, and how it might not be the best idea to mess with a good thing.

• Hook 'Em 4

7 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I understood why WVU managed their "ace" the way they did, they wanted to take a minimum of one game on the road.  

That said, this series was an epic reminder of how fickle baseball can be, and how it might not be the best idea to mess with a good thing.

A reminder how how god damned special Texas baseball can be too. 

• Hook 'Em 7

1 hour ago, Hookem2147 said:

Another year where the conference tournament matters a bunch and we need to play well. I prefer the years where we lock up a hosting spot before and can play it like Augie liked to, but I guess I can't complain about the opportunity to possibly host a regional.

You have to admit that this is much more exciting.  This trip to Omaha is going to be special

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

Winning the conference ain't too bad for a team that some thought wouldn't score 6 runs more than 3 times this season.

It was me and it was six times and more than six runs and in my defense with the exclusions I made of games that didn’t count it took till May to reach but yea I own someone….  Forget who it was but let me know I’ll pay up.  Glad to be wrong and hopefully they can keep up the recent offensive output.  

BB15B35A-C231-4A32-AD8F-C78783143EDF.gif

Edited by Hook1997
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, StassneyHorn said:

Lot of big titty women too 

Go on….   Are we talking big Nebraska women with big titty’s or just people that week in general that are visiting?  Like female single baseball fans have big tits or just Nebraska heffers?  

To me, there seems to be 2-3 hosting spots up for grabs heading into this week.

I think the following 9 teams are locks to host: LSU, Wake Forest, Arkansas, Stanford, Virginia, Clemson, Kentucky, Florida, South Carolina.

Then there are about 4 teams who will probably host unless something weird happens or they have a total collapse: Coastal Carolina, Miami, Auburn, WVU (I don’t think the committee is going to hammer them for a road sweep)

That leaves 3 spots. Indiana State probably has one unless they completely fall apart. RPI of 10 is very strong and they played a relatively tough non conference schedule. So then you get into the last two spots and have: Texas, OSU, Duke, Bama, DBU, Tennessee and maybe Oregon State/Southern Miss on the very outside of the picture.

I fear that our side of the conference tournament bracket may actually hurt us (nevermind the fact we are about face a Kansas pitcher in game 1 who beat us two weeks ago). OU is the 7 seed but has an RPI higher than K-State and TCU, who are both on our side. Tech is the 6 seed on the other side and has a higher RPI than K-State. The problem is we wouldn’t potentially play a team from the other side until the championship game and host sites are announced during the game, so they can’t factor in the result.

Edited by Hookem2147

The RPI is interesting.

Indiana St is 6-11 versus Power 5 + Northeastern. Swept by Kentucky (also getting a boost from playing mighty Indiana State) and Northeastern. Their other games are against Big 10 (5-4) and a win over Vandy. RPI #10.

Pitt is sitting at #74 at 7 games under .500. They lost 3 to WVU getting outscored 28-12. They lost 2 of 3 to Maine with the win being by 1. Looks like they split with Penn St, Youngstown St and Kent St (who’s 47th in RPI).

Speaking of Kent St, they played 14 teams (not games, teams) with losing records. They only played 3 teams 10 games above .500. One of those was #58 Wofford, which was 12-9 in the Southern conference and swept in 3. By Mercer.

Kentucky has the #1 non-con RPI. 3 games versus Indiana and Louisville. Then it’s Elon, Western Kentucky and Xavier. Obviously winning them all is big, but that’s not markedly different than our early season run.

There’s tons of volatility in scores these days. I don’t fully get the RPI other than it’s centered around wins and losses, which results in some circle jerking. Tuesday games introduce more volatility too since few teams have a legitimate 4th guy. Throw in some run differential and drop the lowest 2-3 teams from each team’s schedule on the RPI, and it’s more meaningful.

13 hours ago, Hook1997 said:

It was me and it was six times and more than six runs and in my defense with the exclusions I made of games that didn’t count it took till May to reach but yea I own someone….  Forget who it was but let me know I’ll pay up.  Glad to be wrong and hopefully they can keep up the recent offensive output.  

BB15B35A-C231-4A32-AD8F-C78783143EDF.gif

It’s okay there were jackasses on the Astros said we’d be 25-30 if we were lucky 

26-19 says hi 

Baseball NIL update posted on OB for those interested:

As we celebrate a Big 12 Championship and get closer to the portal season, I want to provide more information to ya'll with the intent of getting more participation and hopefully support for our baseball program. Monthly donations of $50 can really stack up and make a monumental difference for us. Our biggest need is going to be retaining some guys on the roster and seeing if there is some guys that might want to come back for a senior year. Our budget for the upcoming year needs to be one million, we are about 70% of that this year. We currently provide base pay to the entire roster, which is $10k and we want to increase that with the ultimate goal of making each player financially whole so they have no out of pocket costs to play Texas baseball. Hit me up with any questions you have via direct message or email.

https://gift.idonate.com/texas-one/baseball

Britt@texasonefund.org

• Hook 'Em 2

17 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Baseball NIL update posted on OB for those interested:

As we celebrate a Big 12 Championship and get closer to the portal season, I want to provide more information to ya'll with the intent of getting more participation and hopefully support for our baseball program. Monthly donations of $50 can really stack up and make a monumental difference for us. Our biggest need is going to be retaining some guys on the roster and seeing if there is some guys that might want to come back for a senior year. Our budget for the upcoming year needs to be one million, we are about 70% of that this year. We currently provide base pay to the entire roster, which is $10k and we want to increase that with the ultimate goal of making each player financially whole so they have no out of pocket costs to play Texas baseball. Hit me up with any questions you have via direct message or email.

https://gift.idonate.com/texas-one/baseball

Britt@texasonefund.org

So, I've asked about this before.  What transparency is there on donations?   Is there a listing of who gets sent what?   What percentage goes to overhead, etc?  

Just now, zlavydra said:

KU pitcher who looked good against us only went 3 innings on Thursday. Resting him for their big conference tournament run?

He only looked good because we were resting our hitters for our big conference tournament run...

11 minutes ago, petscii said:

So, I've asked about this before.  What transparency is there on donations?   Is there a listing of who gets sent what?   What percentage goes to overhead, etc?  

Not sure. They have this listed on the FAQ’s. May not really answer what you are asking.

Each sport has an advisory board made of former athletes, donors, and caring parties. These boards will work to bring in funding and contributions to help build the NIL funds for each respective sport. Donors can direct funds to the sport of their choice or contribute to the general fund to be disseminated amongst all sports.

Texas One Fund keeps operating costs to a minimum. That being said, expenses will be incurred to ensure the organization functions properly and efficiently. We will incur expenses around software, marketing, events, content creation, legal work, accounting, college-athlete education, experiences, and more. Our board will review contributions on an ongoing basis to ensure funds are spent in the most effective and fair way possible.

Edited by Hookem2147

5 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Also, Burke has to be hurt. He hasn’t even pitched since game 2 against TCU. Been over 3 weeks. Not even a midweek appearance. Only explanation that makes sense.

The pitching staff has had some brutal injuries. Witt, Burke, and Harrison were likely expect to be 3 of our top pitchers.