2023 Texas Baseball

Fletch

D1Baseball Weekly Chat: May 22 • D1Baseball

D1Baseball Weekly Chat: May 22 • D1Baseball (additional link)

D1 Chat.   May be behind a paywall by time you click.   Chat was publlc.   Other pertinent B12 discussion in addition to below.

Corbin
12:11
How much does conference tournament performance play into seeding? Has West Virginia played themselves out of a hosting spot and can Oklahoma State do enough in the Big 12 tournament to be a national seed?          
Aaron Fitt
12:11
I think the Big 12 tournament will matter significantly, since it's so hard to separate those top three teams -- they've all beaten each other. It feels like UT has to be ahead of WVU right now based on the sweep, which is just a tick louder than WVU taking two of three from OK State or OK State taking two of three from Texas. So right now, WVU is probably third of those three, even though I really like WVU's resumé overall. I don't really see any of these teams getting into the top 8, but 2 of the 3 could certainly host, and how they fare this week will play a huge role, I suspect.
  • Hook 'Em 2

On 5/21/2023 at 11:55 AM, petscii said:

So, I've asked about this before.  What transparency is there on donations?   Is there a listing of who gets sent what?   What percentage goes to overhead, etc?  

On 5/21/2023 at 12:06 PM, Hookem2147 said:

Not sure. They have this listed on the FAQ’s. May not really answer what you are asking.

Each sport has an advisory board made of former athletes, donors, and caring parties. These boards will work to bring in funding and contributions to help build the NIL funds for each respective sport. Donors can direct funds to the sport of their choice or contribute to the general fund to be disseminated amongst all sports.

Texas One Fund keeps operating costs to a minimum. That being said, expenses will be incurred to ensure the organization functions properly and efficiently. We will incur expenses around software, marketing, events, content creation, legal work, accounting, college-athlete education, experiences, and more. Our board will review contributions on an ongoing basis to ensure funds are spent in the most effective and fair way possible.

To provide further thoughts on this:

1) Offline, I think you'd find plenty of help in getting you whatever data you'd like in order to better understand the use of funds. At this stage, however, whatever can be avoided being put in the public realm is preferred, and that's for a very blunt and specific reason - it's IP that no UT program would want other schools or collectives getting their hands on. A lot of places, even if they are talking a big game, don't have a damned thing sorted, or they've sorted things haphazardly. Texas has a competitive advantage.

2) Obviously whatever has to be regularly disclosed to the IRS, UT compliance, UT programs, the state of Texas and the NCAA is always going to be disclosed and usually submitted, when necessary, for approval before deploying. 

3) The overhead is for the expenses stated and no one is currently making any money on this other than those entities. Ultimately, they're going to need an executive director and admin support. The plan is to have G&A at less than 10% of capital deployed annually. I think that is top of the mark for well-run non-profits, but someone else can tell me if I'm off on that. It's hard to see how that gets beat, having looked at the numbers. I can tell you that no one involved in building this so far from Burnt Endz to Horns With Heart to Texas One Fund has ever made a dollar and many have spent out of their own pocket to get it to where it is.

4) Baseball, contrary to sentiments expressed prior in this thread, was in a good spot this year and will be again for the 2024 cycle. I don't know if LSU is going to be able to come off the top ropes against the entire marketplace again or not. Some of that may depend upon how they fare in the tournament because I know those idiots don't have an endless spigot. That said, there is always going to be someone doing something absurd in each cycle. Expect Texas to maintain discipline and not go nuts for a single player or class unless a lunatic benefactor shows up with a dump truck of cash that can be annuitized. 

• Hook 'Em 3

11 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

The only way Texas , DBU, and aggy won’t be in the same regional is if both Texas and DBU flop in their conference tournaments. With neither team hosting. 

Otherwise, this is definitely happening. 

Then let’s go crush it in Arlington and have DBU and aggy blow their best pitchers in the 2v3 matchup before getting beat by Texas. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, MuellerHorn said:

Then let’s go crush it in Arlington and have DBU and aggy blow their best pitchers in the 2v3 matchup before getting beat by Texas. 

I'm not saying we would advance but honestly it's a soft regional if we host. DBU is ranked high in RPI but they haven't really beaten anybody and aggy is a bubble team with zero starting pitching. 

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

To provide further thoughts on this:

1) Offline, I think you'd find plenty of help in getting you whatever data you'd like in order to better understand the use of funds. At this stage, however, whatever can be avoided being put in the public realm is preferred, and that's for a very blunt and specific reason - it's IP that no UT program would want other schools or collectives getting their hands on. A lot of places, even if they are talking a big game, don't have a damned thing sorted, or they've sorted things haphazardly. Texas has a competitive advantage.

2) Obviously whatever has to be regularly disclosed to the IRS, UT compliance, UT programs, the state of Texas and the NCAA is always going to be disclosed and usually submitted, when necessary, for approval before deploying. 

3) The overhead is for the expenses stated and no one is currently making any money on this other than those entities. Ultimately, they're going to need an executive director and admin support. The plan is to have G&A at less than 10% of capital deployed annually. I think that is top of the mark for well-run non-profits, but someone else can tell me if I'm off on that. It's hard to see how that gets beat, having looked at the numbers. I can tell you that no one involved in building this so far from Burnt Endz to Horns With Heart to Texas One Fund has ever made a dollar and many have spent out of their own pocket to get it to where it is.

4) Baseball, contrary to sentiments expressed prior in this thread, was in a good spot this year and will be again for the 2024 cycle. I don't know if LSU is going to be able to come off the top ropes against the entire marketplace again or not. Some of that may depend upon how they fare in the tournament because I know those idiots don't have an endless spigot. That said, there is always going to be someone doing something absurd in each cycle. Expect Texas to maintain discipline and not go nuts for a single player or class unless a lunatic benefactor shows up with a dump truck of cash that can be annuitized. 

Do you think that we will spend crazy, and "a little bit stupid" money on a guy if and when we think we are one piece away?  I get not doing it as a general state of affairs but will this be viewed in the future as an MLB team with a window of contention and the occasional one of spending splurge when it's perceived that we are going to be really good? Or do you think it's steady eddie the entire way?

16 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Do you think that we will spend crazy, and "a little bit stupid" money on a guy if and when we think we are one piece away?  I get not doing it as a general state of affairs but will this be viewed in the future as an MLB team with a window of contention and the occasional one of spending splurge when it's perceived that we are going to be really good? Or do you think it's steady eddie the entire way?

Hmmmmm.  

21 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Humans are generally terrible at predicting the future and I am certainly no exception, as evidenced by @UTPhil2006 reminding us of such on the last two pages, even if he's attempting to spike the ball on the 10 yard line regarding the Astros record over the first 55 games.

I've had NIL pretty straight from the jump, but caveat emptor. I see the portal being akin to the trade window for teams and UT won't be immune to that. Hell, we made a run at Skenes but LSU ended up coming in with something that no one could get within shouting distance of, and he's there for them. With more time, thought, strategy, I'm guessing certain years will see us attempting to arm to the teeth for a key role or two because that following year could push us over. Frankly, there's a shot this happens with the portal window for softball in the next cycle or the one after that because of the young core in place. Someone has to knock OU off at some point.

OccupyLF is the GM of the baseball stuff for TOF and then he has to seek board approval. He seems pretty bright and not an absolute lunatic, so this will likely be change similar to water over a rock as opposed to lightning through a tree. 

• Hook 'Em 5

49 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

He seems pretty bright and not an absolute lunatic, so this will likely be change similar to water over a rock as opposed to lightning through a tree. 

I've got this piece of rock candy, but it's not for eatin'.

It's just for lookin' through.

There is iron in your words, as there is iron in your guns.

• Haha 1

Golden Spikes question???   Is there a way for D Campbell  to at least get on the list?   I didnt see his name on preseason list.

Part 2 whats the thoughts on Witt going into the Big 12 tournament??   Any thoughts on how he will be used on a 40-50 pitch limit… Take a chance and see if he can get you 4 in game 1 or keep it status quo?

Edited by Rholl

18 minutes ago, Rholl said:

Golden Spikes question???   Is there a way for D Campbell  to at least get on the list?   I didnt see his name on preseason list.

Part 2 whats the thoughts on Witt going into the Big 12 tournament??   Any thoughts on how he will be used on a 40-50 pitch limit… Take a chance and see if he can get you 4 in game 1 or keep it status quo?

The Golden Spikes semi finalist list has been announced.  The winner will come from that list.

10 hours ago, Rholl said:

the big lebowski drinking GIF

There has been a lengthly discussion on this matter if you go to the WV game thread... last couple of pages.

• Hook 'Em 1

Yeah, for first time in awhile...conf. tourney has some significant impact for many teams (or at least it should).  I can't disagree with most of these seeing projections but the locations and matchups are fucking wild.  Not in a good way.  

NSIAP-announcement show still on Monday Memorial Day afternoon?  I can't find anything for 2023.  

11 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

Yeah, for first time in awhile...conf. tourney has some significant impact for many teams (or at least it should).  I can't disagree with most of these seeing projections but the locations and matchups are fucking wild.  Not in a good way.  

NSIAP-announcement show still on Monday Memorial Day afternoon?  I can't find anything for 2023.  

11am CT on Monday the 29th. ESPN2

• Hook 'Em 1

5 first teamers leads the league 

12 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

The guy with a 33 game hitting streak, 24 stolen bases and a gold glove in RF wasn't an unanimous selection for All-Conference? 

Maybe some coach is a katfid and confused him with DTPB

East Carolina and Tennessee losing today likely makes the hosting picture a little bit clearer

Locks (11): Wake Forest, LSU, Kentucky, Arkansas, South Carolina, Florida, Clemson, Vandy, Virginia, Stanford, Coastal Carolina

Probably in (2): Miami, Auburn (17 wins in the SEC has historically hosted)

On the bubble (7): Texas, OSU, WVU, DBU, Boston College, Indiana State, Bama

Don't see it, would need a ton of help (4): Campbell, Uconn, Southern Miss, Oregon State

Hard to believe this thing starts in just 4 hours.  

There's no way we can play our way into hosting a Super (unless of course, the other side has a #1 seed upset).  

But IMHO, we need more than 2 wins in this thing to wrap up a regional hosting.  2-2, if one of those losses is early on to a Kansas or even a KSU who is likely not gonna get in the 64-team bracket...that's ugly for us.  Every little thing counts right now as we're right on the cusp.  However, finishing 10-3 in our last 13 looks pretty damn good.  Still, I'd like us to play until Sunday.  Arms will have plenty of rest until Friday 3 June, provided we're not coming out of the losers bracket on extra innings or some shit.  

Really didn't think we'd be talking like this several weeks ago, but glad we are.  If we host, I definitely picked the wrong month to quit sniffing glue.