2023 Texas Baseball

Fletch

Just now, Rickylovesweed said:

I would be really surprised if Tole didn't have an injury. It's the only rational explanation. Almost every Arkansas fan I've seen is confused why Tole didn't pitch more this season. 

Holy fuck dude we heard you the first time. 

• Haha 2

Chip Brown said he heard Frank Anderson turned down the pitching coach job. He also posted this, which makes it sound like Miller could be looking for another job:

“Another source close to the situation said Pierce has also reassigned assistant coach Philip Miller, meaning Pierce could be replacing three assistant coaches. Miller and Allen had been on staff with Pierce for more than a decade at Sam Houston State, Tulane and Texas.“

24 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Chip Brown said he heard Frank Anderson turned down the pitching coach job. He also posted this, which makes it sound like Miller could be looking for another job:

“Another source close to the situation said Pierce has also reassigned assistant coach Philip Miller, meaning Pierce could be replacing three assistant coaches. Miller and Allen had been on staff with Pierce for more than a decade at Sam Houston State, Tulane and Texas.“

Is he typically pretty credible with baseball news or just throwing shit on the wall hoping something sticks?

1 minute ago, davi34 said:

Is he typically pretty credible with baseball news or just throwing shit on the wall hoping something sticks?

I think he’s typically accurate. I definitely believe the Anderson news.

I wonder if Pierce might try to move Miller to the volunteer spot to make it easier to find a hitting and pitching coach. Maybe that is what he means by “re-assigned”.

So apparently what Chip said was true. The plan is for Miller to move out of one of the two paid assistant spots. Sounds like he might stay with the program in another role (not sure what role), but this will likely make it easier to find both a true hitting and true pitching coach and not have to have one be in the 'volunteer' spot.

• Hook 'Em 4

48 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

So apparently what Chip said was true. The plan is for Miller to move out of one of the two paid assistant spots. Sounds like he might stay with the program in another role (not sure what role), but this will likely make it easier to find both a true hitting and true pitching coach and not have to have one be in the 'volunteer' spot.

I like what Pierce is doing. Taking initiative to fix shit and be proactive after getting to Omaha. No one has a gun to his back. The fanbase is fairly content. He didn't have to fire anyone. But he cut ties with a close friend and coworker and is now rearranging other spots to make sure that Tulo leaving doesn't bite us in the ass. 

I'm not sure he's the best coach in college baseball but he's a very good one overall and pales in comparison to any of the recent football coaches. 

Fuck these dudes that are leaving. They're making a huge mistake. Not just for their future careers but their college years and post-career years as well. C ya.

Let's get some dirt-ass gamers in here that want to wear the shirt and get back to fucking shit up. 

• Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, HenryJames said:

Shouldn’t have brought the same staff from Sam Houston to Texas.

It was a good staff the way it was originally designed. Maybe not an amazing staff but it was a good one. Allen is/was a very good recruiter. Phil Haig had a pitching background and could talk pitching extremely well. Guys liked him but when Tulo became available he was the weakest link to cut out.  But with Allen as pitching coach it was never going to work long term. 

I also know Pierce didn't think Allen would be here for 6 years. He figured he would have gotten a head coaching job by this point.

Edited by Hookem2147

1 minute ago, UnhappilyMarried said:

Why are we canning guys without replacements lined up? There’s no reason to have staff openings for any longer than is legally required. Not that we’ve lost anyone earth shattering, but we’re still more susceptible to transfers out and only have Pierce working on transfers in 

Miller is still on staff and he can still communicate with players. He just isn't able to go on the road anymore to recruit. 

And I'm gonna guess we aren't too far away from some movement on the paid assistant spots.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, HenryJames said:

Shouldn’t have brought the same staff from Sam Houston to Texas.

That staff from Sam Houston did it’s job, we were back in Omaha 3 times in their tenure and really only one year was outside the expectations for Texas Baseball. Pierce came to the conclusion that it might be getting stale and is doing something about it before an absolute dumpster fire like football and it’s 10 years of mediocrity.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, UnhappilyMarried said:

Why are we canning guys without replacements lined up? There’s no reason to have staff openings for any longer than is legally required. Not that we’ve lost anyone earth shattering, but we’re still more susceptible to transfers out and only have Pierce working on transfers in 

Best scenario is Pierce wants to introduce the new staff together.     

I don't what the rules specify but it looks like Texas baseball is doing what Chris Beard did with the basketball team. Creating all these positions like managing director and special assistant to the head coach. 

So are they also going to hire a voluntary assistant in combination with Miller taking this new role? 

This seems like a positive if Texas can create 4 or 5 assistant positions by finding ways to wiggle around the rules. 

2 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

It was a good staff the way it was originally designed. Maybe not an amazing staff but it was a good one. Allen is/was a very good recruiter. Phil Haig had a pitching background and could talk pitching extremely well. Guys liked him but when Tulo became available he was the weakest link to cut out.  But with Allen as pitching coach it was never going to work long term. 

I also know Pierce didn't think Allen would be here for 6 years. He figured he would have gotten a head coaching job by this point.

I get the feeling it's also a lot different going from Perrin to Del Conte. 

Del Conte appears to be much more willing to spend on assistants and create all these random staff positions to maximize the number of assistants on staff. 

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, ztejas said:

I like what Pierce is doing. Taking initiative to fix shit and be proactive after getting to Omaha. No one has a gun to his back. The fanbase is fairly content. He didn't have to fire anyone. But he cut ties with a close friend and coworker and is now rearranging other spots to make sure that Tulo leaving doesn't bite us in the ass. 

I'm not sure he's the best coach in college baseball but he's a very good one overall and pales in comparison to any of the recent football coaches. 

Fuck these dudes that are leaving. They're making a huge mistake. Not just for their future careers but their college years and post-career years as well. C ya.

Let's get some dirt-ass gamers in here that want to wear the shirt and get back to fucking shit up. 

God knows we've seen plenty of coaches with their ride or die buddies.  And now they ded.

I really do without Austin Wood’s opinions the last few weeks. Guy shit on the pitching all season and then starts crying when the pitching coach is fired because he “liked” him. Then continues to tweet out cryptic stuff about the program and when pressed about it says “I’m not really sure what’s going on”.

Here’s the criteria to win D1 Baseball assistant coach of the year= Have your team make a deep tournament run and have your group (hitting or pitching) be highly ranked in a major stat. There is no voting or selection process or vetting. It’s just eh let’s give it to this guy this year.

Ty Madden and Tanner Witt were/are going in the first round regardless of who their pitching coach was. They are freaks of nature who came to college more advanced than most juniors and seniors. The other 90% of pitchers who have to be developed is where college pitching coaches make their money.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, MuellerHorn said:

I want to be clear that I am NOT in the anti-Pierce camp. However, let's say the minority is correct and he's gone in, say, three years. Who should Texas hire?

Well first we offer the best coach and work our way down. That is what we did the last couple times. In 1996 Augie Garrido said yes. In 2016 Pat Casey said no. Who might the best guy be in 2025? Offer him first.

The only part that could maybe be interpreted as "odd" is Allen dependent on how you viewed him as a pitching coach. Nobody will view it as odd if Texas upgrades with a legitimate pitching coach like Frank Anderson or Rob Childress. 

Tulo left because he either has no desire to coach or doesn't want to be an assistant as he waits for a better head coaching opportunity. Miller was reassigned because you can keep him on staff while still being able to hire a real hitting and pitching coach. It's win win and makes a lot of sense. 

I don't know how anybody could view the Miller move as "odd". It's a dream scenario for Texas. They get to keep Miller on staff and now have two slots open for assistants. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Wood knows what is going on. He isn’t dumb. He is about as close to the program has you can be without being around everyday.

He was really good friends and liked Sean Allen, so he can’t accept that his friend is no longer on the coaching staff.

But again, you can’t have it both ways. The pitchers were frustrated and several took noticeable steps last this year and Wood was one of the people pointing this out the most. 

1 hour ago, Hookem2147 said:

Wood knows what is going on. He isn’t dumb. He is about as close to the program has you can be without being around everyday.

He was really good friends and liked Sean Allen, so he can’t accept that his friend is no longer on the coaching staff.

But again, you can’t have it both ways. The pitchers were frustrated and several took noticeable steps last this year and Wood was one of the people pointing this out the most. 

I found myself down a twitter rabbit hole yesterday and there seem to be some rumblings that Pierce is the issue or that he somehow lost the team and coaching staff. I wonder if there is any truth to that or if just twitter being twitter.

1 minute ago, davi34 said:

I found myself down a twitter rabbit hole yesterday and there seem to be some rumblings that Pierce is the issue or that he somehow lost the team and coaching staff. I wonder if there is any truth to that or if just twitter being twitter.

Twitter will always give you an exaggerated version of what is going on. You don't overcome what the team overcame if he 'lost the team'. Were there frustrations? Yes. Between coaches especially. They couldn't run things back the same way. As for the players? 80% of the ones that matter were set to leave the program anyway so it's tough to know. A few of the ones left over have entered the portal but not anyone that would raise a red flag.

Pierce is tough on everyone. He expects and demands a lot from his players and coaches. He has a little Chris Beard in him in that losing eats him alive. But the results speak for themselves.

I'll also say this. They couldn't head into the SEC with a hitting coach as the pitching coach and have the other paid assistant be a first base coach who assists with hitting and the catchers. That wasn't going to fly. As many people have pointed out above, props to Pierce for making these changes despite a relatively successful year. He wants to win a national championship. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Fully on board with the attitude that status quo isn’t good enough. Strong and Herman were great examples of guys who weren’t good enough, and not being willing to get the absolute best guys due to old boy sentimentality was a critical piece of that.

Home run hires are going to be critical, but pushing to upgrade I definitely respect.

• Hook 'Em 2