2023 Texas Baseball

Fletch

Was randomly thinking about the schedule for next year this morning. I know we will back at Globe Life opening weekend and one of the 3 games will be against Arkansas. I also wonder if we are traveling to Bama to return the 3 game series they came here for. 

Personal preference, but I prefer a few 4 game non conference series instead of the weeks with two midweek games. We did the latter this past year.

Edited by Hookem2147

4 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Was randomly thinking about the schedule for next year this morning. I know we will back at Globe Life opening weekend and one of the 3 games will be against Arkansas. I also wonder if we are traveling to Bama to return the 3 game series they came here for. 

Personal preference, but I prefer a few 4 game non conference series instead of the weeks with two midweek games. We did the latter this past year.

Let’s assemble a coaching staff and team before we start talking schedule

@petscii @LTtxfan got us scheduling wise 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

Sources told Horns247 Texas athletic director Chris Del Conte offered contracts to Tulowitzki and Anderson that would’ve made them the highest-paid assistants in college baseball. But to no avail. Anderson has a great pitching staff returning at Tennessee, and Tulowitzki, who earned nearly $168 million in a 15-year MLB career and turned down the USC head-coaching job last week, wants to take a year to evaluate exactly what his next step is while spending more time with his expectant wife.

Longhorn pitching legend Huston Street, who helped connect Tulowitzki and Pierce, told Horns247 Tulowitzki’s impact on the team’s hitting and fielding the last three seasons was “profound.”

Tulowitzki’s decision was a blow to a number of Longhorn players who are draft-eligible but have given serious thought to returning, sources said. The MLB Draft is July 17-19.

Didn’t realize Tulo’s wife was pregnant. His decision is starting to make more and more sense.

who knows if the first comment is really true about contracts but if so, I would expect Childress is on the phone.  Unless the guy just doesn't really want to be an asst coach.

14 hours ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Chris Stuart might be in the mix to be a weekend starter. He's just now getting decent level coaching as he's from the Netherlands. He has a lot of upside. 

Netherlands? Can we pull in Bert Blyleven as the pitching coach? 

• Haha 2

35 minutes ago, 40acredropout said:

Obviously much larger ramifications if this is true but wonder if this could be part of Tulo turning down USC job?  That move sucks for the baseball teams.  

If you can win a national title from the Big West you should be able to do so in the Big 10. USC and UCLA would have none of the usual problems Big 10 programs have.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Rickylovesweed said:

If it's an off the field role or voluntary role, Del Conte is doing work on $. 

Rodriguez and Miller on staff with neither taking 2 of the top assistants jobs is some good stuff. Almost too good to believe. 

It's been a long time since Rodriguez was an assistant (2000-2003). I guess he is probably qualified enough to be a hitting coach (played professionally, has had some good offenses). He brought in some solid recruiting classes too so I'm going to assume he can recruit.

But absolutely, if he's the volunteer guy replacing Tulo then that's pretty solid. 

10 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

It's been a long time since Rodriguez was an assistant (2000-2003). I guess he is probably qualified enough to be a hitting coach (played professionally, has had some good offenses). He brought in some solid recruiting classes too so I'm going to assume he can recruit.

But absolutely, if he's the volunteer guy replacing Tulo then that's pretty solid. 

It’s been a long time since Gary Patterson was an assistant too. like I said yesterday….

20 hours ago, Fletch said:

Yeah. Plenty of time till fall ball then there will be more changes after that. We’ll have a top 10ish roster and I trust Pierce and CDC and whoever else involved in getting our assistants lined up. 

Wake the fuck up, dudes. We just won the directors cup, Beard is building something special, Pierce seems to be pushing the right buttons and our football program is doing all the right things right now. Our athletic department is finally aligned. Soak it in, folks. Been a long time coming 

7 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

The LSU SEC rant board is saying that several SEC schools are throwing big NIL $ at Skenes. LSU, Mississippi State, and Tennessee. 

Not surprising. He’s the most coveted guy in the portal because he can be a two-way player at a high level. 

After what LSU has done the last week, I am suspicious that our NIL efforts can come close to what’s going on in the SEC.

Edited by Hookem2147

Based on the attempt to hire Anderson and now Rodriguez it's clear what Pierce is looking for. Looking for proven success and experience at the top level. 

Maybe this was a discussion with Del Conte after Pierce brought a bunch of Tulane and Sam Houston assistants? 

Edited by Rickylovesweed

44 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Based on the attempt to hire Anderson and now Rodriguez it's clear what Pierce is looking for. Looking for proven success and experience at the top level. 

Maybe this was a discussion with Del Conte after Pierce brought a bunch of Tulane and Sam Houston assistants? 

"uh Dave, lil' buddy, let me show you some pictures of some former coaches...here's Charles Strong and Thomas Herman.  They thought their buddies were great assistants just like you..."

5 minutes ago, 40acredropout said:

Believe there are still a couple of interesting Baylor players in the portal- wonder if that helps here..   Specifically thinking of Jared McKenzie who would slide in very nicely into the outfield.  Believe Phil Nevin's kid who also rakes was in there too.  

Believe Nevin’s kid ended up at OU and McKenzie is draft eligible and supposed to go fairly high.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

It's just rumors but on the LSU SEC Rant board the name that's coming up most for their 2nd assistant is Sean Allen. 

Only way I see him fitting into an assistant spot at a big time program is if the head coach serves as his own pitching coach or hitting coach, then  someone like Allen can occupy one of the two pair assistant spots and just recruit.

Isn’t Jay Johnson known as a hitting guy?

1 minute ago, Hookem2147 said:

Only way I see him fitting into an assistant spot at a big time program is if the head coach serves as his own pitching coach or hitting coach, then  someone like Allen can occupy one of the two pair assistant spots and just recruit.

Isn’t Jay Johnson known as a hitting guy?

Yes and they already have a pitching coach. So it makes sense. 

2 hours ago, Rickylovesweed said:

The LSU SEC rant board is saying that several SEC schools are throwing big NIL $ at Skenes. LSU, Mississippi State, and Tennessee. 

2 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

Not surprising. He’s the most coveted guy in the portal because he can be a two-way player at a high level. 

After what LSU has done the last week, I am suspicious that our NIL efforts can come close to what’s going on in the SEC.

Just have to get him here on campus and make a comparable offer.

There is no way we are not on the short list.

Remember, he played 5 games at the Disch, 4 being against us and the fans not only appreciated the AF showing, but let them know it. He announced the portal just after the Regional and the USA USA chants and ovation that TEXAS fans showed them.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, BillyGoatHill said:

Remember, he played 5 games at the Disch, 4 being against us and the fans not only appreciated the AF showing, but let them know it. He announced the portal just after the Regional and the USA USA chants and ovation that TEXAS fans showed them.

Yeah let him have his recruiting fun then come to home to Austin 

12 minutes ago, BillyGoatHill said:

This is pure wishcasting on the part of our fans. The slight chance he decides to not go to Tenn, it’s obvious his intentions are in the SEC. Better to let this one go already. Yes he’ll come here because we chanted USA at the end of the games haha.

3 minutes ago, DoubleQuarterPounder said:

This is pure wishcasting on the part of our fans. The slight chance he decides to not go to Tenn, it’s obvious his intentions are in the SEC. Better to let this one go already. Yes he’ll come here because we chanted USA at the end of the games haha.

OK sock...if  he goes to Tenn or some other SEC school, more power to him. I wish him Good Luck not matter where he goes.

But you NOT thinking that the fans and the baseball IQ here at TEXAS didn't put it in his head that maybe, just maybe, he wants to play here and be a part of the Tradition that we have going back for decades and not just the last 2-3 years (?)....

unimpressed michael keaton GIF 

• Hook 'Em 2

MLB.com updated their top 250 prospects for the MLB draft. Here are where our current players/commits rank:

OF Henry Bolte- #40

SS Jalin Flores- #82

1B Ivan Melendez- #99

IF/RHP Cutter Coffey- #105

LHP Pete Hansen- #127

C Silas Ardoin- #146

SS Trey Faltine- #162 *Didn't realize this until I was reading the article, but he had the second most strikeouts in NCAA D1 history this year. There are huge concerns about the swing and miss in his game*

OF/1B Jared Thomas- #218

OF Douglas Hodo- #223

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 1