2023 Texas Baseball

Fletch

21 hours ago, Valmy77 said:

The draft start tomorrow at 6PM. By Tuesday evening we should know who is likely to be on campus next Fall.

Which commits/recruits are likely to be drafted high enough to require a decision?

Edited by TonyTexas

1 hour ago, TonyTexas said:

Which commits/recruits are likely to be drafted high enough to require a decision?

Bolte (OF), Coffey (SS) and Flores (SS) are for sure getting picked within the top 5 rounds and are probably gone. Maybe someone like Jared Thomas (1B/OF) gets picked but probably more of a long shot.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

Bolte (OF), Coffey (SS) and Flores (SS) are for sure getting picked within the top 5 rounds and are probably gone. Maybe someone like Jared Thomas (1B/OF) gets picked but probably more of a long shot.

Didn’t Bolte want a pretty high deal or was that someone else? Would that make him slide down draft boards?

6 minutes ago, OB3 said:

Didn’t Bolte want a pretty high deal or was that someone else? Would that make him slide down draft boards?

Think it was mentioned earlier in the thread he is asking for $2.5 million. It depends on how teams view him. He could be someone who goes in the 2nd or 3rd round but signs for over slot. 

Edited by Hookem2147

11 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Post on orangebloods said Faltine's mom is pushing for him to return to school. If he doesn't go in the next few rounds, it could be really interesting.

Somehow I ended up friends with her on FB.  She's been pumping the UT guys as they get picked but hasn't said a word about her son . . . yet.

Just now, Rickylovesweed said:

I'm getting way ahead of myself but hypothetically what would happen if Faltine returns and Flores makes it to campus? Can Flores play 3B? 

Yeah, I think Flores would slot in at 3B, with Daly and O'Dowd battling it out at 2B (maybe you platoon them?)

5 minutes ago, UnhappilyMarried said:

Without Tulo I don’t think it made sense for Trey to come back. Let a pro team fix your swing instead of Rodriguez 

I wouldn't think he's coming back, but I have tough time believing he could hurt his draft stock by returning. The defense is already elite and regardless of what he does with his swing I don't see any way he matches the strikeout totals he had this year.

6 minutes ago, UnhappilyMarried said:

Without Tulo I don’t think it made sense for Trey to come back. Let a pro team fix your swing instead of Rodriguez 

Tulo will still be around in practice it sounds like. Just not in the dugout or in the coach's box.

Anyway you go when you get drafted in the 7th round at this point in your career. He at least can use the threat of returning to make a few bucks.

Edited by Valmy77

1 minute ago, Hookem2147 said:

I wouldn't think he's coming back, but I have tough time believing he could hurt his draft stock by returning. The defense is already elite and regardless of what he does with his swing I don't see any way he matches the strikeout totals he had this year.

That extra year of age matters and probably offsets him potentially cleaning up the hit tool in both draft order and bonus negotiations 

Just now, Hookem2147 said:

@Rickylovesweed Smeltz from Purdue picked in the 10th round. 

Interesting. 

I think he was probably the best starter out of all the options that have been connected to us in the transfer portal but also the biggest risk based on his injury history. Considering the injury history with Smeltz, I was already hoping it was Juaron Watts-Brown if we add another starter. 

David Pierce has a good eye for talent. 

I don't keep up with recruiting closely so maybe @Hookem2147 can chime in but out of all the draft picks today the only one that was considered a top level recruit was Faltine...correct? 

I thought Ardoin was considered a better recruit than he was but perfect game had him ranked #447 coming out of high school. 

Edited by Rickylovesweed

Searching for info on Southard and saw the below article.   Sounds like Pierce has connected with him  and perhaps Pierce and Williams have convinced him to return.   Just a guess that scouts may be aware.

Southard was selected by the Angels in the 20th rd of the '19 draft (40 rds).   He will be 22 in October.   Seems he has much more "upside" than some of the pitchers taken in  the last 5 rounds.    Will see what happens tomorrow. 

(excerpt)

But Pierce was talking more about how Southard has been off the field with the mental game. That’s where he’s seen the greatest progress.

“It’s been a long process for him,” Pierce said. “I still don’t know if he’s there yet as far as the consistency. There are some complexities within his delivery that sometimes concern me to really be on time with it. But he works at it so hard. I think, too, you look back and he had some struggles, some mental struggles. He talked to his teammates about himself a lot. About his delivery, about his stuff. We just had a conversation, I said, ‘Let’s try this, let’s quit worrying about yourself. Let’s start focusing on your teammates and what can you do for your teammates, if it’s one guy one day?'”

After that conversation, Pierce said Southard started helping his teammates before games every day. He makes sure batting practice is ready to go, and he does it alone.

“The kid started setting up batting practice every single day by himself, probably over a year now,” Pierce said. “He has completely become the ultimate teammate, and there’s not one player on that team that doesn’t pull for him because of all the things that he does for them now. I just see a maturity and being very selfless and being very concerned about his team.”

https://www.on3.com/college/texas-longhorns/news/texas-baseball-david-pierce-change-jared-southard-this-season-mens-college-world-series-cws/

2 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

David Pierce has a good eye for talent. 

I don't keep up with recruiting closely so maybe @Hookem2147 can chime in but out of all the draft picks today the only way that was considered a top level recruit was Faltine...correct? 

I thought Ardoin was considered a better recruit than he was but perfect game had him ranked #447 coming out of high school. 

Correct. That was a good class for Texas. Hodo and Hansen were ranked outside the top 500 in the country and it was obvious during their freshman seasons they were going to be major contributors. 

7 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

He can pinch UT for NiL money now

He is probably about to get 300k from the Reds. I doubt there are any sort of baseball NIL deals coming anywhere close to that much.

If Southard and Cheney both sign, we are definitely going to need to add at least one more bullpen arm from the portal in addition to one more starting pitcher. 

Flores making it to campus definitely lessens the need to go get a corner infield bat from the portal. I think Flores can start out at 3B with Daly and O'Dowd up the middle. I would focus on adding an outfielder at this point.

1 hour ago, Hookem2147 said:

OB reporting that even though Southard wasn't picked today, they are hearing he is likely to move on. Max signing bonus for guys after round 10 is $125K. Any amount over that counts against the teams slot money for the first 10 rounds.

Last year some of the borderline guys were hungry for another shot in Omaha. I don’t really think there’s anything left for Kennedy or Southard in college now

12 minutes ago, Cousin Strawberry said:

I would love for him to stay but totally understand why he wouldn't.

7th round pick with only one year of eligibility left? Yeah you leave at that point.

Loved having him on the team. Wonder if he will still stare down pitchers who plunk him in the minors.

• Haha 1