2023 Texas Baseball

Fletch

On 10/31/2022 at 10:51 AM, torre said:

Appreciate your comments.

Based on the two Fall games you saw, thoughts on the other infield defense,  Daly/O'Dowd/Thomas and Guillemette at catcher ?

Thanks !

Sorry, have been on the site for a few days. 

Daly and 0'Dowd havent had any WOW factor but they really haven't had any chances either. They have both made the plays when hit to them. Like @Hookem2147 stated, G has been solid behind the plate with some struggles at bat. Right now, no concern there. Flores has made some steady plays at 3rd and Thomas for me anyway,  has probably impressed the most. He has looked good at the plate, but mostly, he has looked super comfortable at first and has been solid there with his footwork.

• Hook 'Em 1

Talking to myself again, as per usual.  But rain, and possibly, severe weather looking likely later today.  At least until 6:00p+.  Do they play late tonight, 7:30p-ish?  Bump game 2 to Saturday and do Sunday as scheduled?  I mean, it's nothing to the standings to cancel a FWS game. but lotsa new faces in the lineup this season who could use the innings.  I cannot envision a scenario where this 4:00p Friday first pitch happens.  I'll hang up and listen. 

5 hours ago, YGIFS said:

Talking to myself again, as per usual.  But rain, and possibly, severe weather looking likely later today.  At least until 6:00p+.  Do they play late tonight, 7:30p-ish?  Bump game 2 to Saturday and do Sunday as scheduled?  I mean, it's nothing to the standings to cancel a FWS game. but lotsa new faces in the lineup this season who could use the innings.  I cannot envision a scenario where this 4:00p Friday first pitch happens.  I'll hang up and listen. 

I would assume that twitter will give you an answer closer to game time, they've already adjusted times some.

54 minutes ago, zlavydra said:

Anyone else look good/bad yesterday?  How was the pitching?

Per TV guide,  LHN replay at 9PM tonight and noon Sat.   Likely other replays later.

Others may address the hitting and hopefully add comments on all.  

Pitching did not look bad.   Pierce was concerned about walks per LHN interview.  Tole (Ark transfer) looks like the real deal.   Disappointed that Sthele did not show improvement,  really needs some off speed, more sharp breaking stuff.    iirc, Starters, key pitchers from last year did not throw except Sthele.    Grubbs, freshman, looks good.

Guillemette seems to be solid at catcher.  Not really challenged with steals,  seems to handle pitchers well,  had a double.    Not sure of the leading backup, likely Schuessler and will be pressed by Galvan.

Flores (3B) and Thomas as advertised.  As @BillyGoatHill mentioned above,  Thomas looks real comfortable at 1B and his footwork is excellent.   Keep an eye on Jayden Duplantier,  looked slick at 2B,  scrappy hitter with excellent speed.  

Witt is coaching the Returners,   Harrison the Newcomers.   Harrison mentioned in LHN interview he has a sore elbow and is in rehab with limited throwing.   Says it will not need surgery.    We have seen that movie before.    Sore elbows seem to always lead to TJ,  hopefully not in his case.

• Hook 'Em 1

I will say that this team seems much more athletic than the teams we've had in previous years. We stole 55 bases last year as a team and we should easily be approaching 80-90+ this year. Kennedy and Campbell, if healthy, are guys who can swipe 20+ bags with ease. Brown can run a little bit. We know Whitehead can run. The younger Duplantier can fly and is surely someone we will use situationally. 

I know we swiped 92 bags in 2021, but almost half of those came from Antico alone. This team should have a lot more speed throughout the lineup from top to bottom.

Edited by Hookem2147

This is not complete, but it is verified.  Posting because Cal State Fullerton is the trip I am making.  :)

FRI 2.17.23 @GLOBE LIFE FIELD SHOWDOWN

SAT 2.18.23 v Arkansas, Vanderbilt, Montauk. (get the times from the previous post)

SUN 2.19.23 Arlington, TX dates/times TBD

TUE 2.28.23 LSU

FRI 3.3.23  @ CAL STATE FULLERTON

SAT 3.4.23  @ CAL STATE FULLERTON

SUN 3.5.23  @ CAL STATE FULLERTON

FRI 3.24.23 v TEXAS TECH

SAT 3.25.23 v TEXAS TECH

SUN 3.26.23 v TEXAS TECH

TUE 3.28.23 @ TEXAS A&M

FRI 3.31.23 @ OKLAHOMA STATE

SAT 4.1.23  @ OKLAHOMA STATE

SUN 4.2.23  @ OKLAHOMA STATE

TUE 4.4.23 AIR FORCE

FRI 4.7.23 v KANSAS STATE

SAT 4.8.23 v KANSAS STATE

SUN 4.9.23 v KANSAS STATE

MON 4.10.23 @ TEXAS STATE

TUE 4.11.23 v TEXAS STATE

FRI 4.14.23 @ BAYLOR

SAT 4.15.23 @ BAYLOR

SUN 4.16.23 @ BAYLOR

FRI 4.21.23 OKLAHOMA

SAT 4.22.23 OKLAHOMA

SUN 4.23.23 OKLAHOMA

FRI 4.28.23 @ TCU

SAT 4.29.23 @ TCU

SUN 4.30.23 @ TCU

FRI 5.5.23 @ KANSAS

SAT 5.6.23 @ KANSAS

SUN 5.7.23 @ KANSAS

THU 5.18.23 v WEST VIRGINIA

FRI 5.19.23 v WEST VIRGINIA

SAT 5.20.23 v WEST VIRGINIA

WED 5.24.23 @BIG 12 BASEBALL CHAMPIONSHIP

THU 5.25.23

FRI 5.26.23

SAT 5.27.23

SUN 5.28.23

• Hook 'Em 1

Ah, M is for Manhattan College.  I was gonna guess that!  ;) 

I guess if you take that first weekend in nearby Arlington, it's a pretty good non-conf. slate.  LSU on a Tuesday night gonna be lit as fuck.  3 weekend series with Indiana, CSU-San Jose, and Manhattan College?  Not great, but not awful.  Cool that Air Force is coming back.  

SHOW ME A LOSS IN MAY!