2023 Texas Baseball

Fletch

Saw this posted on secrant....there was no link....so FWIW:

@KendallRogers
??SOURCES:
The @NCAA Division I Council has approved a measure to turn all volunteer positions in baseball and softball (and in all sports) into a full-time coaching position without recruiting constraints. Volunteers will officially become full-time coaches on July 1, 2023.

• Hook 'Em 3

48 minutes ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

Saw this posted on secrant....there was no link....so FWIW:

@KendallRogers
??SOURCES:
The @NCAA Division I Council has approved a measure to turn all volunteer positions in baseball and softball (and in all sports) into a full-time coaching position without recruiting constraints. Volunteers will officially become full-time coaches on July 1, 2023.

Yes. Caleb Longley's title on TexasSports.com has already changed to Assistant Coach. 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, hobbes2702 said:

The greatest pitching performance I’ve ever seen. I remember watching it all on my laptop texting my mom who was there. Just absolutely insane

Don't forget the unsung hero of the game, Austin Dicharry. Went 5 2/3 innings after Wood and only allowed 2 baserunners.  On the other hand, Michael Torres went 1 for 12 and left 10 runners on base.

22 minutes ago, zlavydra said:

Don't forget the unsung hero of the game, Austin Dicharry. Went 5 2/3 innings after Wood and only allowed 2 baserunners.  On the other hand, Michael Torres went 1 for 12 and left 10 runners on base.

I felt so bad for AW that he got a ND for that game. I feel like that game was the epitome of Augie’s last few seasons

14 hours ago, hobbes2702 said:

I felt so bad for AW that he got a ND for that game. I feel like that game was the epitome of Augie’s last few seasons

That entire run was beautiful. Gutting one out vs Army, 25 inning game, score 8 with a walk off grand slam to win the regional. 2 out of 3 against tcu. Walk off walk against southern miss then ripping Arizona states heart out twice. Game 1 against LSU still fucking kills me.

• Rage+1 2

1 hour ago, DalTxHornFan said:

Cedric Golden of the AAS seems to think that it will be happening next month:

Golden: Texas baseball alumni game is a family affair because of Cliff Gustafson

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/golden-texas-baseball-alumni-game-120035834.html

Oh thank God.

I will just wait patiently for the announcement then.

On 1/14/2023 at 2:30 PM, BrazilHorn said:

Got season tix ordered. Right behind 3B dugout. Can’t wait. 

Was this a renewal?  New season tickets were supposed to go on sale today, but I logged in just now and it's all grayed out and can't purchase. Already done or didn't go on sale as planned...not sure.

28 minutes ago, PantsTent said:

Was this a renewal?  New season tickets were supposed to go on sale today, but I logged in just now and it's all grayed out and can't purchase. Already done or didn't go on sale as planned...not sure.

No. 1st time. Renewals happened the week prior. 

30 minutes ago, UTPhil2006 said:

Is this possibly a good thing? Considering last season we started off numero uno and then dropped like a rock.   There is some merit to not getting the pre season respect and then earning it back as the season progresses and it paying off big time in May and June when it really counts.

2 minutes ago, Nueces River Rat said:

Is this possibly a good thing? Considering last season we started off numero uno and then dropped like a rock.   There is some merit to not getting the pre season respect and then earning it back as the season progresses and it paying off big time in May and June when it really counts.

I’m fine with it. Less pressure and maybe we surprise people in Frisco

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Nueces River Rat said:

The only "good" thing about D1baseball.com anything is traffic it drives to the site for them.  I prefer the rankings handed out in Omaha.  

• Hook 'Em 2

5 hours ago, Nueces River Rat said:

idmas

6 hours ago, UTPhil2006 said:

I know he's an Aggie, but I like Kendall Rogers.  I'm a college baseball purist through and through, and so is he.  He's pretty unbiased, too.  

I follow that site more than any other, or about equal with Baseball America.  

That said, I know we lost a lot but I have a hard time believing we're not worthy of being ranked towards the bottom of that list.  Of course, 7 of his Top 11 are SEC teams.  But yeah, don't make a shit.  I just like seeing a number, however low, next to our name on TV when away games start the season.  A good start would be beat Mizzou, A&M-CC, sweep IU (not a foregone conclusion but their pitching is garbage), and steal one from ARK/VAN/LSU, and 2 outta 3 at CSU-F, sweeP SHSU & Mercer.  That's an above average and realistic start heading into Spring Break.  

1 hour ago, YGIFS said:

I know he's an Aggie, but I like Kendall Rogers.  I'm a college baseball purist through and through, and so is he.  He's pretty unbiased, too.  

I follow that site more than any other, or about equal with Baseball America.  

That said, I know we lost a lot but I have a hard time believing we're not worthy of being ranked towards the bottom of that list.  Of course, 7 of his Top 11 are SEC teams.  But yeah, don't make a shit.  I just like seeing a number, however low, next to our name on TV when away games start the season.  A good start would be beat Mizzou, A&M-CC, sweep IU (not a foregone conclusion but their pitching is garbage), and steal one from ARK/VAN/LSU, and 2 outta 3 at CSU-F, sweeP SHSU & Mercer.  That's an above average and realistic start heading into Spring Break.  

Unranked is completely fair. Our pitching is a complete unknown. I tend to think it will end up being pretty good with a real pitching coach and a couple good transfers in but that’s certainly no guarantee.

Our offense should be able to hit for average and we will be the most athletic team in the country. I worry about where we go for power but there’s some guys in there who can absolutely mash.

Defense seems a bit of a crapshoot as we have like 7 quality starters in the outfield but the infield looks thin. This is Texas though so I imagine the defense we continue to be elite.

Edited by hobbes2702
  • Hook 'Em 2

there are a lot of unknows for sure last year left a bad taste the players were just not a complete team and there always seemed to be some glaring area of under performance and when one seemed to get corrected another popped up

interesting that ou sucks was in the finals and is unranked.....Tech is ranked way low as well

pitching seems to be a major issue for the Big 12 overall especially this year

10 hours ago, ButtFumble said:

pitching seems to be a major issue for the Big 12 overall especially this year

It will be. OSU and OU are replacing their entire weekend rotations. Tech, Texas, TCU and WVU are replacing 2 of 3. And Baylor and Kansas have been completely rebuilt on the pitching side. 

On 1/10/2023 at 9:47 AM, UnhappilyMarried said:

https://globelifefield.com/event/college-baseball-showdown-presented-by-higginbotham-20230219/

Link for Arlington tickets because the ad is terrible at promoting off campus events. $60 plus fees for the weekend 

Thank you for this info. Might have to make a bday weekend of it. 

This time last year were we planning Murphy being the player he was? Melendez?

Kennedy and Campbell could be dynamic players. Gordon has a chance to be a top flight #1. Then LeBarron, Duplantier, Stehle, Harrison and Morehouse have a good combo of experience and talent. That should be a solid group before transfers and frosh.

When good coaching is present, you will find contributors that were not contributors before. I feel as though Pierce does well in the development phase, but it’ll be interesting post-Tulo.

I’m comfortable in being optimistic about Texas baseball even if expectations are lower than usual. Count me as one who thinks our end of season ranking exceeds the preseason ranking.