2023 Texas Baseball

Fletch

22 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

They are probably average offensively. Hitting .278 as a team and .276 in conference play. 3 guys hitting over .300 for the year. Their second baseman Kodey Shojinaga is hitting over .400 in Big 12 play. Good hitter. Michael Brooks the third baseman is another good player.

What on earth is this Hawaiian/AAPI pipeline they’ve got going on to fucking Lawrence? Shojinaga, Maui Ahuna. And it goes back like 15 years they’ve had a Hawaiian or two on their roster 

28 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

What's the expected pitch/inning count for Witt on Sunday?

It was 25 last weekend and he was taken out at 23, so maybe 30-35 this weekend? They really don't seem to not want to push it.

If he ramped up by 10 pitches each week that would put him at 65-75 by the postseason, which I guess sounds about right for a guy in his situation.

Edited by Hookem2147

1 hour ago, Hookem2147 said:

They can swing it a little bit which makes me nervous with this pitching staff we are trotting out there. They obviously took that series at West Virginia about a month ago but are 1-8 in conference play since then. If I remember correctly, the ball tends to fly pretty well at their park. It is nice that we won't have to worry about the running game at all.

I'll say we take 2 of 3 just because I don't trust this team. But obviously a sweep is pretty necessary if we want to stay within striking distance of WVU.

I couldn’t begin to predict how this team finishes up.  Not that it matters much, but we are 4-5 in our last 3 trips there.  I’m sure they will play some of their best baseball against us.  

Edited by ClubWhatever

1 minute ago, ClubWhatever said:

I couldn’t begin to predict how this team finishes up.  Not that it matters much, but we are 4-5 in our last 3 trips there.  I’m sure they will play some of their best baseball against us.  

It’s a weird place to play. No fans. Gotta bring your own energy.

We did sweep them in Lawrence in 2021. I remember Messinger played SS for Kansas lol.

21 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

What's the expected pitch/inning count for Witt on Sunday?

Probably 2 innings or 35 pitches or something 

Let’s fuckin sweep Kansas and win the fucking conference. It’s there for the fucking taking 

49 minutes ago, Fletch said:

Probably 2 innings or 35 pitches or something 

Let’s fuckin sweep Kansas and win the fucking conference. It’s there for the fucking taking 

Quick research shows a 22-17 all-time record in Lawrence.  Let's make it 25-17 by Sunday.

We got swept in Lawrence in 2019 and lost 2 of 3 in Pierce's first season in 2017 (one of the games was because of a BS call at the plate where Pierce and a player got tossed). Had some very weird results at Kansas. I remember the 2009 team was swept in Lawrence too.

Edited by Hookem2147

15 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

We got swept in Lawrence in 2019 and lost 2 of 3 in Pierce's first season in 2017 (one of the games was because of a BS call at the plate where Pierce and a player got tossed). Had some very weird results at Kansas. I remember the 2009 team was swept in Lawrence too.

So it's your fault.  

26 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Those last two weekends in 2019 were about as bad as it gets, punctuated by Henley's awful performance in a 13-0 home loss to OU. Good times.

25 minutes ago, zlavydra said:

Those last two weekends in 2019 were about as bad as it gets, punctuated by Henley's awful performance in a 13-0 home loss to OU. Good times.

Yep. I was talking with a friend the other day and we were joking about how we used to not be Blair Henley fans at all, but boy would we do anything to have someone with a 3.54 ERA who could reliably go 5-6 innings in our Saturday or Sunday spot this year.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Hookem2147 said:

Yep. I was talking with a friend the other day and we were joking about how we used to not be Blair Henley fans at all, but boy would we do anything to have someone with a 3.54 ERA who could reliably go 5-6 innings in our Saturday or Sunday spot this year.

Is he still in the astros org?

Still not ranked by D1baseball. RPI sits at #25. If we sweep San Jose State, the hosting convo will likely come down to the final weekend (winning 2 of 3) and winning a game or two in the Big 12 tournament. That would put us at 39 or 40 wins. It is interesting though that the committee didn't seem to weigh the conference tournaments much last year. 

With the way teams are losing around the country and falling in RPI it could go any number of ways. Even if we don't play ourselves into hosting, we definitely want to position ourselves to be sent to a more manageable regional (hopefully on the west coast or at DBU).

• Hook 'Em 3

D1 Baseball Chat today.   Normally paywalled,  found it to be free.   

Good info on the entire college baseball landscape.   Also mentions TCU, WVU, Tech, OKSt.    Worth the entire read.   Note how well the Carolina teams are doing.

https://d1baseball.com/chats/d1baseball-weekly-chat-may-8/

Asked about Texas hosting.    Did not mention possibility of winning conference as slight as it may be.

Kendall Rogers
3:19
Texas' RPI is sitting at 25 right now. Let's say the Longhorns win that series against WVU to end the regular season and play well in Arlington, it's not out of the realm of possibility. But this is not a resume with much meat on the bone with an 8-14 record vs RPI Top 50. Long shot

7 hours ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

I'm not going to jinx it by saying what should happen, but they are 133 in RPI, 0-5 against the top 50, and 22-22 overall.

Yeah I saw that too, not as 'salty' as I would have thought.  Need to get off to a good start Friday, drawing a blank on our Friday guy (lefty, incidentally from CA iirc).

If there was ever a time to get Flores in the lineup for Daly, this 4-game stretch would be it. Will be interesting to see what Pierce does. Yanking Daly on Sunday in the late innings when defense is the only thing he has going for him doesn’t seem like a good sign.

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, zlavydra said:

Looks like Johnny Allstaff for UTA tonight, as the starter (RHP) has never gone more than two innings 

Their pitching is meh, but they can swing it a little bit. The only left handed arm they regularly use in the bullpen is their closer, so hopefully we don't see him.

32 minutes ago, AUS-97HORN said:

are we actually going to play tonight?

the future forecast I am seeing is showing the rain not letting up until 7:30-8ish  

https://weather.com/weather/radar/interactive/l/af33f412a374076d1c22726da64dfc60951a6df5af4c21674b40e8d70b5d3753

Likely a delayed start.  Weather.com states t'storms should end at approx 6:15.

Hope they play.    Welcome home  UTA head coach Texas-Ex Clay Van Hook,  member of the '05 National Champions.   Mike Taylor who coached with Pierce at Rice is an assistant.

They are doing a good job.   UTA was 15-39 last year, 7-23 in conf.   23-21 this year, 15-9 in WAC, 3rd place.   Play lst place SHSU this weekend.

Hook 'Em Clay,  just not tonight.

Weather forecast does not look good at all this weekend. Astros and Rangers are both on the road, why don't we move the series a couple hours north or east and get all 3 games in without the threat of weather?

I'm sure LHN/ESPN would throw a wrench in that plan but one can dream.

I think Friday should be okay.  They should consider a double header that day, which I know SJSU won't like having just gotten off the plane.  And then cobble together 9 innings between Saturday and Sunday.  Trouble is won't be a consistent rain, but intermittent and heavy when it is.  Which is fine for the players but a shitshow for the grounds crew.  It doesn't really move the needle on RPI/SOS much either way, but it'd be nice to get 2 games in with a sweep not split.  

34 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Here's a fun trivia question I just made up while looking through the team stats: We have had 8 guys record a save this year. Can you name all 8 without looking?

Morehouse 

Tole

Whitehead

Burke

LBJ

Duplantier

Shaw

Hurley

I’m sure I’m wrong but I can’t think of them all

7 hours ago, YGIFS said:

I think Friday should be okay.  They should consider a double header that day, which I know SJSU won't like having just gotten off the plane.  And then cobble together 9 innings between Saturday and Sunday.  Trouble is won't be a consistent rain, but intermittent and heavy when it is.  Which is fine for the players but a shitshow for the grounds crew.  It doesn't really move the needle on RPI/SOS much either way, but it'd be nice to get 2 games in with a sweep not split.  

the big lebowski drinking GIF

We have probably one of (if the not the easiest) field in all of college baseball to maintain with weather. A tarp over the mound and also in the bullpens, that's pretty much it. And during the last game that it needed a tarp, the grounds crew was Tanner and 2 other players. They had dry unis on 10 minutes later.

Back when the field was still astroturf and we had dirt around the bases, pear burners (propane torches) would be used after rainstorms to dry the dirt around the bags. During the the 93 Regional against USC (Aaron Boone was their 3rd baseman) torches were needed after a squall moved thru and dumped a couple of inches in a matter of a 1/2 hr....The whole USC team had their cameras out taking pics while they were using the torches.

Fun Fact of that Regional...

After the rain moved thru the temp dropped from a scorching 95 to a very pleasant 74. Texas was down 2-1 in the 9th and needed to win to avoid a winner take all 2nd game (Championship) against USC. With 2 men on, someone hit a pretty routine ground ball to Boone but it hit one of the seams of the turf and bounced over his left shoulder allowing the winning runs to score and Texas went to Omaha again. 🤘 Gus stated after the game that he was already thinking of his lineup for game 2 when that hit went over Boone's shoulder.

• Hook 'Em 1

I am aware of the drainage system and rain protocol.  It's not equipment intensive, it's just they gotta run out there and run back and out there and run back the way May rain works in Austin.  And then umps gotta figure out how long we can go and then lightning.  More of just a continuous exercise in prediction/proactivty/etc.  I've seen those guys make and break a half dozen decisions in a day.  I guess with the new academic calendar at UT this year, there's no finals or classes right now, not sure about SJSU and their homework 'n shit.  But I guess that should help overall, we can squeeze in when we squeeze in (that's what she said).

13 hours ago, YGIFS said:

CHECK OUT THE BIG BRAIN ON BRAD.....

Edited by petscii