2023 Texas Baseball

Fletch

2 minutes ago, Sir Ulrich said:

Tulo should just wait and take a big Texas college job where he actually has a chance to win big. P12 baseball just isn't capable of winning in the current climate.  

USC may not be capable any more, but Stanford, Oregon St, UCLA, or Arizona could all win a national championship.  Maybe Oregon also and the right coach will get Arizona St back too.

7 minutes ago, Sir Ulrich said:

Tulo should just wait and take a big Texas college job where he actually has a chance to win big. P12 baseball just isn't capable of winning in the current climate.  

Have things shifted that dramatically since 2018?

7 minutes ago, WBT said:

USC may not be capable any more, but Stanford, Oregon St, UCLA, or Arizona could all win a national championship.  Maybe Oregon also and the right coach will get Arizona St back too.

There is a ton of baseball talent in California.

Joe Cook put in his end of season write up that he has “heard good things about Witt’s recovery” and that he was already out of his brace about a month and a half after surgery.

Obviously a long ways to go and a lot of unknowns but I’ll take that news over the alternative.

Edited by Hookem2147

Just now, Hookem2147 said:

Joe Cook put in his end of season write up that he has “heard good things about Witt’s recovery” and that he was already out of his brace about a month and a half after surgery.

I am not sure what exactly this means for our future but it sounds good.

Edited by Valmy77

56 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Obviously a long ways to go and a lot of unknowns but I’ll take that news over the alternative.

Wonder if he can do what John Curtiss did for us back in 2014. Pretty much be our closer 

12 minutes ago, HenryJames said:

No chance.

Not all season but maybe just maybe like half way through conference play. But I’m just going to pretend he’s not on the team then be pleasantly surprised if he ever takes the mound again 

33 minutes ago, Fletch said:

Not all season but maybe just maybe like half way through conference play. But I’m just going to pretend he’s not on the team then be pleasantly surprised if he ever takes the mound again 

Just let Witt go man. If he ever pitches for us again it would be a bonus.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

Just let Witt go man. If he ever pitches for us again it would be a bonus.

I’ve pretty much done that. That update gave me a glimmer of hope but I’m just gonna go back to pretending he’s not on the team and if he ever takes the mound again then fuck yeah. If not, thanks for the awesome 2021 memories. Damn shame. He was on pace to be an all time longhorn great 

Edited by Fletch

On 6/20/2022 at 2:18 PM, davi34 said:

When was the last time a sure fire MLB superstar turned down the money and went to college anyway? 

Does NIL in baseball have the potential to change that?

Ivan was far from a “sure MLB superstar” last year.  He’s still not that.  Neither is anybody else in college baseball.

Edited by Cajun
  • Hook 'Em 1

And here are notes and stats from the 4 junior college players we have set to come in currently:

Spoiler

RHP Wyatt Cheney (McLennan)- 81.2 innings, 122 strikeouts, 20 walks and a 3.20 ERA. Originally signed with Oklahoma State out of high school. 

INF Ben Harmon (Seminole State)- .295/.401/.811 slash line this year. 1 homer and 12 stolen bases in 139 at bats. 

LHP Chris Stuart (San Jac)- 78.1 innings, 106 strikeouts, 41 walks, 3.10 ERA. Originally from The Netherlands and had a breakout year this season. Fastball can get up to 94 from the left side and hides the ball extremely well.

RHP DJ Burke (San Jac)- 22 innings, 24 strikeouts, 8 walks and a 2.45 ERA. Fastball sits in the lower 90's with a good curve.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

My only conclusion from college baseball these last few seasons is pitching depth is overrated. That's always been true but it's even more true than it was a few years ago. 

This time of the year it comes down to 3 or 4 top end arms. Texas should be hunting for a couple proven college pitchers every year in the portal. This years aggy team is a regional team and nothing more without Palisch. Last years Mississippi State team was 2 pitchers that dominated in the postseason. 

I don't know how NIL works in baseball but there is a lot of value in buying 2 big pitching transfers every year. 

Edited by Rickylovesweed
  • Hook 'Em 2

7 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

My only conclusion from college baseball these last few seasons is pitching depth is overrated. That's always been true but it's even more true than it was a few years ago. 

This time of the year it comes down to 3 or 4 dominant arms. Texas should be hunting for a couple proven college pitchers every year in the portal. This year' aggy team is a regional team and nothing more without Palisch. Last years Mississippi State team was 2 pitchers that dominated in the postseason. 

I don't know how NIL works in baseball but there is a lot of value in buying 2 big pitching transfers every year. 

Yep. Dead horse time but if Witt was healthy…

Hopefully Skenes is our Friday dude. Gordon is good Saturday dude. One of Harrison, Sthele, Morehouse, Duplantier or Stewart should fill out the Sunday and Tuesday roles. With the rice dude coming in and hopefully Skenes, I’d like us to find a true lockdown closer. We’re gonna do just fine in the transfer portal. Pierce had killed it with jucos and grad transfers during his time here 

Also I’m wondering if the new pitching coach can fix Nixon. Lebarron has closer type stuff too. Hopefully Southhard comes back. He should be in the running for a weekend spot 

Edited by Fletch

I know Sean Allen wasn't liked by a few posters but if you're firing a pitching coach that finished 1st and 26th in team ERA the last 2 seasons you better not be replacing him with an unproven college assistant.

This better be a big name hire. 

I liked the mention of Rob Childress.  

Edited by Rickylovesweed
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

I know Sean Allen wasn't liked by a few posters but if you're firing a pitching coach that finished 1st and 26th in team ERA the last 2 seasons you better not be replacing him with an unproven college assistant.

This better be a big name. 

I’m kind of curious which way we go here. I want a young dude that’s all about spin rate, location and velocity but I have no idea who would qualify as a splash hire. Obviously Childress. Huston would be just about perfect. Alaniz is maybe too young but I’ve made my point pretty clear on him. Who’s vanderbilts dude? Is it misty Corbin doing the heavy lifting there or does he have Skip type under him? 

This better be a big name hire. 

I liked the mention of Rob Childress.  

Eh, San Jac is a legit program. Skip Johnson came from the juco ranks. Not saying go hire this guy tomorrow but there are plenty of bright pitching minds at that level of baseball.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Fletch said:

I’m kind of curious which way we go here. I want a young dude that’s all about spin rate, location and velocity but I have no idea who would qualify as a splash hire. Obviously Childress. Huston would be just about perfect. Alaniz is maybe too young but I’ve made my point pretty clear on him. Who’s vanderbilts dude? Is it misty Corbin doing the heavy lifting there or does he have Skip type under him? 

Huston Street did not like the grind of coaching when he volunteered in 2020. He won’t be an option.

Just now, Fletch said:

None of those guys do anything for me but maybe they would be great. 

If you're firing a coach of Allen's caliber (and yes I know he's disliked by some) you don't replace him with a pitching coach that's never done it at this level. Pierce should be swinging for a proven assistant that's already shown success at this level. 

If you're getting rid of a coach like Allen isn't the idea to swing for a huge name? One of the top assistants? I hope so. 

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Eh, San Jac is a legit program. Skip Johnson came from the juco ranks. Not saying go hire this guy tomorrow but there are plenty of bright pitching minds at that level of baseball.

I get it and maybe Pierce would hire a great coach from those ranks. 

I would not be excited  until proven otherwise and especially after firing Allen. I defended Allen in the recruiting thread but if Pierce hired a top end pitching coach I would be fully on board. Hiring a San Jac assistant after firing a pitching coach that finished #1 and #26 in team ERA the last 2 seasons is not going to get me excited. 

This should be a big name after firing Allen. Going from the D1 assistant of the year in 2021 to a San Jac assistant or unproven coach at this level is not going to do much for me. 

Edited by Rickylovesweed

11 minutes ago, Fletch said:

Looked up Vandy, Scott Brown has been the pitching coach for 10 years and associate head coach for 7

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Huston Street did not like the grind of coaching when he volunteered in 2020. He won’t be an option.

Yeah I know. I can dream though. Anyone tracking flights yet?

Edited by Fletch

4 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

None of those guys do anything for me but maybe they would be great. 

If you're firing a coach of Allen's caliber (and yes I know he's disliked by some) you don't replace him with a pitching coach that's never done it at this level. Pierce should be swinging for a proven assistant that's already shown success at this level. 

If you're getting rid of a coach like Allen isn't the idea to swing for a huge name? One of the top assistants? I hope so. 

It appears Pierce disliked some of Allen's decisions, too.  It's a bold move to fire a guy who has been with you for 10-11 years, working in multiple roles.  Allen was basically Peter Principled.  Pierce may have been able to work this stuff out at SHSU or Tulane and kept Allen on for recruiting, but with 2 paid assistants, 11.7 constraints, plus the portal, a guy who is a jack of all trades, master of none is eventually going to hit his head.  I believe that's what happened here.  Pierce knows the job expectations, so he's going to maximize.  

I feel pretty confident we'll get someone with no Texas ties, or that is currently coaching in Texas to manage the pitchers.  But that coach is going to have some pretty solid credentials.  He has to.

• Hook 'Em 1

It takes some big balls to fire Allen and if Pierce replaces him with one of the top pitching coaches it tells me he is definitely the right man for the job. 

I feel confident Texas is going to get a big name because I don't believe a move would have been made unless they felt a big name was possible. No offense to the San Jac guy getting his name out there but I don't believe that's the type hire Texas is about to make. 

This will be a proven assistant at a bigger college program if I had to guess. 

Edited by Rickylovesweed
  • Hook 'Em 1

23 minutes ago, Fletch said:

I think they are all about spin rate, location, velocity regardless of age these days.  there may be some differences on arm slot/tilt/etc.

calling pitches is a huge deal also, some of that comes with age.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

It takes some big balls to fire Allen and if he replaces him to one of the top pitching coaches it tells me Pierce is definitely the right man for the job. 

I feel confident Texas is going to get a big name because I don't believe a move would have been made unless they felt a big name was possible. No offense to the San Jac guy putting his name out there but I don't believe that's the type hire Texas is about to make. 

I agree with this sentiment. I don’t even think it needs to be a sitting college assistant. There are a lot of guys with MLB organizations (pitching coordinators, etc) who would have a background that could make them super successful at Texas. I know Miller is a good recruiter so you can give him the recruiting coordinator title if you need to. Obviously the pitching coach is still going to need to recruit some but you can let Miller do a lot of the heavy lifting that Allen did.

It takes some big balls to fire Allen and if Pierce replaces him with one of the top pitching coaches it tells me he is definitely the right man for the job. 

I feel confident Texas is going to get a big name because I don't believe a move would have been made unless they felt a big name was possible. No offense to the San Jac guy getting his name out there but I don't believe that's the type hire Texas is about to make. 

or an ex head coach that was proven pitching coach.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Js1 said:

No surprise, needs a fresh start

Wish him the best-  never saw a bad / selfish attitude from him going through what was undoubtedly a really tough/emotional season on a personal level.   Just hoping we don’t have to face him if he puts it all back together.

• Hook 'Em 5

2 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

or an ex head coach that was proven pitching coach.

Yes, I believe Childress is the best choice. 

aggy had good pitching under Childress and he was a good pitching coach at Nebraska. Plus, he has experience recruiting the state. No idea if Childress would actually be interested but he's a name that makes a lot of sense. 

9 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Yes, I believe Childress is the best choice. 

aggy had good pitching under Childress and he was a good pitching coach at Nebraska. Plus, he has experience recruiting the state. No idea if Childress would actually be interested but he's a name that makes a lot of sense. 

Reaction Gif GIF by MOODMAN

12 minutes ago, 40acredropout said:

Wish him the best-  never saw a bad / selfish attitude from him going through what was undoubtedly a really tough/emotional season on a personal level.   Just hoping we don’t have to face him if he puts it all back together.

Yep.  The steal of home at the end of G1 in Lubbock gutted him mentally and emotionally.

6 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

Some stats and notes I compiled for the HS guys set to join the program:

Hide contents

OF Henry Bolte- .441 avg, 13 HR, 42 RBI's in 102 AB's in 33 games

SS Cutter Coffey- .442 avg, 12 HR, 32 RBI's in 95 AB's in 31 games

*I will say the biggest knock on Bolte and Coffey seems to be the competition they play again. I know MLB.com mentioned that Coffey struggled mightily last summer when facing tougher competition and many MLB scouts wanted to see him on the mound instead of at the plate. Also seems to be concerns about swing and miss for both, but you can't argue the stats they had this year. 

OF Brenner Cox- .341 avg, 6 HR, 11 SB. Speed guy who was also the QB of the football team.

SS Jalin Flores- .417 avg, 7 HR, 28 RBI's in 84 AB's in 25 games. He's an older senior. Would be draft eligible again after his sophomore year if he made it to Texas. Something to keep in mind.

SS/RHP Pierce George- Couldn't find any concrete stats on him, but he was up to 91-92 off the mound last summer and has an interesting frame (6'6 195).

1B/LHP Jared Thomas- Another two way guy but his future is probably at the plate. Hit .484 as a junior.

RHP Matthew Porchas- Our third signee from California (joining Bolte and Coffey). Comes from a really strong baseball program at Santa Margarita. Fastball is 90-91 but has a really, really good slider. Will need to clean up his delivery a little but has a good frame to fill out (6'3, 215)

OF Max Belyeu- Another left handed hitter. Plays for a good program at Aledo. 

C Rylan Galvan- Plays for Adrian Alaniz at Sinton. Might be my favorite player in the class. Hit .440 this year with 9 home runs and is strong defensively. 

SS Jayden Duplantier- Andre's little brother. Speed, speed, speed. 

C Grant Fahrlander- Went to St. Michaels in Austin and will probably take a few years to adjust to the college game considering the competition he faced regularly. Was originally committed to Oregon about a year ago.

RHP Max Grubbs- Another guy who's 89-90 with his fastball right now but shows feel for all 3 of his pitches

LHP Collin Valentine- Played for Highland Park. Intriguing frame at 6'3 165 and is only scratching the surface of his potential. Will probably need a redshirt year. Was 86-87 with his fastball in high school but has a clean delivery and should be able to increase his velo easily. 

That ball just explodes out of Grubb’s hand.  Hides it well too.