Briefcase Recommendations

JSB

I swear there was a thread on the old site, but couldn't find one on this site. There were a few recommendations in the wallet thread, but thought I would kick this off.

I've had a leather laptop bag for work for about 10 years, but the part that holds the shoulder strap finally broke on me, so I'm looking for something new.  Not certain I want to make the move to a backpack, so if you've got some shoulder bag recommendations, throw them out there, or try and convert me to a backpack if you have one you love.  

Edited by JSB

I had a hell of a time finding a quality leather briefcase that was right a few years back after the previous one crapped out after decades. Bought a few from known luggage stores and online vendors and they all broke quickly. 

I went with one from Allen Edmonds (shoe store) that held up well, has the right pockets and laptop area, and high enough quality leather. Down side is a damn logo embossed on the bag, which I am not a fan of but hard to avoid. It has held up well for years and has good fasteners and stitching (which were the failures on other bags).

https://www.allenedmonds.com/product/american-grain-collection-multi-pocket-briefcase-3023369/dark-brown-ec4005110

And thanks for the link @Francisco 2.0, I am on the hunt for a decent leather weekender bag that won't break the bank. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I'm fond of Saddleback Leather; I have 4 of their bags.
Incredibly heavy, but you aren't going to break one.
https://saddlebackleather.com/

leather-briefcase-red-brown-laptop-bag-gladstone-saddleback-side__92383.1603370087.1280.1280__38119.1607720414.jpg?c=1

leather-briefcase-laptop-bag-backpack_business-dark-brown-saddleback-side__26173.1605810777.jpg?c=1
I have these two canvas bags, but they are out of stock, and no ETA of when they will return.  I actually prefer the canvas due to the lighter weight:

03-10-0023-md-mg-c_1_1__18910.1597069459.jpg?c=1
03-10-0010-mg-c-3_1__33815.1604961871.jpg?c=1

I love my Saddleback. They are amazing quality and so cool, like strangers stop and comment cool, but not a practical daily bag IMO because they are heavy and bulky. I now use it for special occasions and have a smaller canvas tumi laptop bag but have mostly gone full backpack given convenience / practicality.

1 hour ago, Axle Hongsnort said:

I love my Saddleback. They are amazing quality and so cool, like strangers stop and comment cool, but not a practical daily bag IMO because they are heavy and bulky. I now use it for special occasions and have a smaller canvas tumi laptop bag but have mostly gone full backpack given convenience / practicality.

I don't know how many people in airports have asked me about one of my 2 leather bags.  The canvas doesn't get the same reaction, but they weigh about half as much as the leather and are really over built (waxed 24oz canvas from Scotland, marine stitching, etc).  I use one of the canvas as my daily driver, because you are right....the leather bags can get heavy and bulky.

Only issue on the canvas is all of the models sold out, and Saddleback hasn't kept up production or whatnot.  They assure the canvas bags are coming back someday.  I actually picked up one of my canvas bags from eBay.

Along the lines of Saddleback, and also heavy, Mitchell Leather. (I've recommended their money clip wallets a couple times.)

https://mitchell-leather.com/pages/briefcases

For a more modern and synth material, I'm partial to Briggs and Riley (also my preferred luggage). I find their briefcase pocket layout/design to be more usable than Tumi.

• Hook 'Em 2

13 hours ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

I don't know how many people in airports have asked me about one of my 2 leather bags.  The canvas doesn't get the same reaction, but they weigh about half as much as the leather and are really over built (waxed 24oz canvas from Scotland, marine stitching, etc).  I use one of the canvas as my daily driver, because you are right....the leather bags can get heavy and bulky.

Only issue on the canvas is all of the models sold out, and Saddleback hasn't kept up production or whatnot.  They assure the canvas bags are coming back someday.  I actually picked up one of my canvas bags from eBay.

I'm on their notification list for a canvas one. I'll check around ebay too, good idea.

I have had the same experience as others with my saddleback slim briefcase. High quality stuff but a bit heavy. I use it when I am in a suit or blazer, otherwise use a back pack.

I've had this bad boy about 20 years. It has seen courtrooms from California to Rhode Island.

I got it at the Coop. Just had new wheels and handle put on it. He refurbished the leather as much as he good.

I've lost count on the number of compliments I have received on it.

IMG_2572.JPG

14 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

i have a light weight kate spade, love it. it's great

NYRU2680_020?$plpDesk$

couldn't tell you how many kate spade bags i've bought. usually smaller.

2 hours ago, Parliament said:

Dunno, Guys.  Those options are rather efeet. Can you find something that doesn't make you look so...European?

ryan-feet-01.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1

19 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

My Kate spade messenger bag is labeled ‘jack spade’ but they got rid of that line. It’s a great bag, perfect size and weighs about nothing 

has a nice slot / pocket for a pistol 

that's actually interesting - I've seen that brand but never made the connection

(obligatory - that pocket is for a tampon)

Edited by Celery Man
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I linked the Tusting bag above. Levenger used to sell them in the US rebranded. They still do minus the rebranding (only apparent on the zipper pull and a leather badge inside the bag), although it looks like the design has changed slightly and they don’t have the nice dark brown color on their site. New bag isn’t  separated into three sections inside as the old one was, although it still does come with the padded laptop pouch.

anyways, just cause it is sitting next to me at the moment. Love this bag, have had it for ten years. Still breaking it in.

977DEC47-D543-4037-8BB3-0721720D8C36.thumb.jpeg.2efe0038199b5ffec44e32f4761c31a3.jpeg

none of these can beat my SwissGear backpack with built-in USB-C ports and webbed water bottle holders.  There's even multiple hooks to attach my Air Canada Prestige 35k luggage card.

it's the envy of all my junior kpmg associates.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, 52-80 said:

none of these can beat my SwissGear backpack with built-in USB-C ports and webbed water bottle holders.  There's even multiple hooks to attach my Air Canada Prestige 35k luggage card.

it's the envy of all my junior kpmg associates.

wow. USB-C ports huh, as in multiple? living like a king my man

On 6/21/2022 at 12:07 AM, Sam Lin said:

Along the lines of Saddleback, and also heavy, Mitchell Leather. (I've recommended their money clip wallets a couple times.)

https://mitchell-leather.com/pages/briefcases

For a more modern and synth material, I'm partial to Briggs and Riley (also my preferred luggage). I find their briefcase pocket layout/design to be more usable than Tumi.

Those are really nice.