SKT - Senior
Phillips - JR
Eggleston - SR
Fleck - Grad Transfer
Skinner - SO
Bergmark - RS JR
Ewert - Grad Transfer

That's sick.

I'm counting 17 players on the roster for the Fall..probably the largest roster Elliott has ever had.

He can actually create 2 full teams that can challenge each other. The biggest thing this squad needs to run the table is for the "B" team to constantly challenge the "A" team every single practice, especially during conference play since the other Big 12 programs really don't prepare us for the tournament IMO.

I really hope to see another top program in the preseason. It'd be nice if they would schedule a top-tier program towards the end of conference play, like they did several years ago with Florida...but I guess KU, Baylor, and @WVU will have to do...

• Hook 'Em 1

The serving alone is going to be a murderer’s row. Akana was one of the best servers in the country, easily comparable to Eggleston and Parra. She basically singlehandedly served us out of the regional in Austin. O’Neal is extremely effective as a server, and also surprisingly in the backcourt with her digs. Fleck is a top tier server. I’m guessing Madi Skinner will be the 6th rotation server, and she’s really good as well. But who knows.

This will not only be the best serving team in the country in terms of putting pressure on opponents’ serve receive, it could be an all timer.  It will certainly be the best serving team Texas has ever fielded. 

• Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, perfectchaos007 said:

Selfishly I hope we get at least 10 non conference matches in this year. 

At this point we’ll be fortunate to fit one more in for 8. There aren’t that many teams left that haven’t released they’re schedule. Certainly not any powerhouse final four types. 

Best I’m hoping for is maybe Rice, and/or someone like Denver and High Point, both of whom are practically guaranteed to be RPI bonanzas. 

It’s going to be a weak year in the Big 12 unless someone is a huge surprise. I’m sure Baylor will be good, but with Pressley and Skinner gone there’s going to be a huge falloff. KU will be good, but losing their solid MB to Wisconsin is going to leave a mark. They do return Caroline Bien, who will likely be the best non Texas player in the conference next year.

After those two, it’s anyone’s guess. I’m assuming West Virginia, ISU, and KSU will be in the mix. I’d pick them in that order. It’s going to be a major step up in competition once UT gets to the Sweet 16, and then it goes way up from there. I get envious of the Big 10. Also the ACC was impressive last year, and even though the PAC 12 has been down for the last several years, I feel like they’re about to make a big statement this season. 

I do look forward to the SEC mildly in volleyball. It’s not the juggernaut it is in other sports, but Florida and Kentucky are on a higher plane, and Mississippi State is starting to make noise. And in any case we’ll be playing BYU in 2023 as a conference opponent, which is a legitimate powerhouse. 

Just now, SL Xpress said:

It’s going to be a weak year in the Big 12 unless someone is a huge surprise. I’m sure Baylor will be good, but with Pressley and Skinner gone there’s going to be a huge falloff. KU will be good, but losing their solid MB to Wisconsin is going to leave a mark. They do return Caroline Bien, who will likely be the best non Texas player in the conference next year.

After those two, it’s anyone’s guess. I’m assuming West Virginia, ISU, and KSU will be in the mix. I’d pick them in that order. It’s going to be a major step up in competition once UT gets to the Sweet 16, and then it goes way up from there. I get envious of the Big 10. Also the ACC was impressive last year, and even though the PAC 12 has been down for the last several years, I feel like they’re about to make a big statement this season. 

I do look forward to the SEC mildly in volleyball. It’s not the juggernaut it is in other sports, but Florida and Kentucky are on a higher plane, and Mississippi State is starting to make noise. And in any case we’ll be playing BYU in 2023 as a conference opponent, which is a legitimate powerhouse. 

Yeah the Big 12 is going to be not great next year.  The SEC will actually be a step up - Kentucky, Florida, Tennessee and Miss St. + hopefully Tanya can do something with LSU. 

Still hoping we get the fuck out by 2023.  No offense to BYU.  Looking less likely now. 

Just now, Js1 said:

Yeah the Big 12 is going to be not great next year.  The SEC will actually be a step up - Kentucky, Florida, Tennessee and Miss St. + hopefully Tanya can do something with LSU. 

Still hoping we get the fuck out by 2023.  No offense to BYU.  Looking less likely now. 

CBS doesn’t want to renegotiate their contract with the SEC for one year. ESPN doesn’t take over until 2024. Without that piece none of the other dominoes are going to fall. 2024 is the earliest it can be. I’m sure it WILL be then, but it really isn’t feasible to be done before then. If CBS suddenly decides they’re willing to chunk over a sizably bigger payday for one year of the SEC with UT and OU in it, there would still be other hoops to jump through, but they’re manageable with enough money thrown at them. 

Oh, and Vanderbilt is adding volleyball (making Oklahoma State the last remaining Power 5 school without volleyball). They’ll be bad to start with, but depending on their coach and the resources handed over, they could be competitive over the long haul for sure. 

On 6/23/2022 at 12:28 AM, SL Xpress said:

At this point we’ll be fortunate to fit one more in for 8. There aren’t that many teams left that haven’t released they’re schedule. Certainly not any powerhouse final four types. 

Best I’m hoping for is maybe Rice, and/or someone like Denver and High Point, both of whom are practically guaranteed to be RPI bonanzas. 

You nailed it.

We managed to fit one more - Houston on September 15. 

24 matches.  No one wants to play us. 

1 minute ago, Js1 said:

You nailed it.

We managed to fit one more - Houston on September 15. 

24 matches.  No one wants to play us. 

I’m actually shocked at UH. You’d know better than me @Js1 because you’re much better at following the athletic department as a whole, but I believe this is the first time a UT athletic team has hosted a UH team on campus since 2002 football. 

Not to mention there would have to be some kind of discussion around a return trip, when that would occur, and all the different scenarios around it given UH joining the Big 12 next year and then UT presumably entering the SEC in 2024. 

1 minute ago, SL Xpress said:

I’m actually shocked at UH. You’d know better than me @Js1 because you’re much better at following the athletic department as a whole, but I believe this is the first time a UT athletic team has hosted a UH team on campus since 2002 football. 

Not true.

They were here in 2010 in Gregory Gym for volleyball
Soccer hosted them in 2014 for a spring match
They were here for baseball in 2018 and 2014 (super regional) and 2013
They were just here for softball this past year as well, and quite often

7 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Not true.

They were here in 2010 in Gregory Gym for volleyball
Soccer hosted them in 2014 for a spring match
They were here for baseball in 2018 and 2014 (super regional) and 2013
They were just here for softball this past year as well, and quite often

I don’t count a super regional. But the rest of them fit. So it’s just a football, men’s/women’s basketball thing for the most part. 

Also I had it pointed out to me that baseball played at UH’s home field ust last year, too. 

1 minute ago, SL Xpress said:

I don’t count a super regional. But the rest of them fit. So it’s just a football, men’s/women’s basketball thing for the most part. 

Also I had it pointed out to me that baseball played at UH’s home field ust last year, too. 

Baseball and softball have hosted them and also gone to Houston, as well as Constellation Field for baseball. 

Basketball last played them in 2001?  We did play them in the CBI in 2013, but that was postseason play.  WBB last played them in 1999, I think.

Def a football and hoops thing. 

3 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

Just wanted to point out that Texas is playing 4 fewer matches than other big 12 teams. That’s not a small amount. 

If I have any continued criticisms of JE, it’s scheduling and defense.

I understand we don’t want to lose home matches by agreeing to other home and home agreements and no one big is gonna come to Texas without a reciprocal match (per Elliot).  Not playing a second match in California while already out there is stupid.  Or not throwing a bone to Salima while in Columbus and playing ND. 

In August/September, playing 2 matches in 2 or 3 days shouldn’t matter. I’m not trying to backload the schedule in November before the NCAAs. 

It’s not enough matches. This team won’t be battle tested by a couple September matches when Baylor is down next year 

The Big 12 feels like a doughnut this year. Baylor has some talent, but they’re young and unproven, and regardless, they’re not Skinner and Pressley. KU should be decent, but they had to get some upsets to make it to the Sweet 16, and looked overmatched there, then they lose their top notch MB, Caroline Crawford, to Wisconsin.

It feels a little like Gonzaga in the WCC in men’s basketball. Maybe not quite that bad, but along those lines. It will be a long gap between the Stanford match in Palo Alto and the Sweet 16 match in the tournament, when Texas will face another team of that caliber. And then it gets worse from there. It’s not ideal. I’m not sure scheduling some more heavyweight types in the preseason would make it better, but it sure wouldn’t make it worse. 

It will be better next year with BYU entering the league. And the season following we’ll be in the SEC with Florida, Kentucky, and even Mississippi State and Tennessee. 

I imagine anything more than a single match loss and Texas is on the outside looking in for a top 4 seed, and some of that would be because of the lack of overall matches. 

9 hours ago, SL Xpress said:

I imagine anything more than a single match loss and Texas is on the outside looking in for a top 4 seed, and some of that would be because of the lack of overall matches. 

Peak UT message board right there. 

Seriously dude, chill the fuck out. It’s June 28, 2022, quit being a fucking bitch. 

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, ss13 said:

Peak UT message board right there. 

Seriously dude, chill the fuck out. It’s June 28, 2022, quit being a fucking bitch. 

WTF? I don't care that much. Nebraska made it to the championship game coming through our regional. Getting a top 4 seed doesn't guarantee anything other than hosting the regional. It's nice to play at home but it doesn't ensure anything.

It's not about being a bitch. It's about doing the math. The Big 12 is going to suck. Texas is only playing 24 matches, while everyone else is playing 28 or more. The other conferences with teams competing for a top 4 spot are going to get bigger RPI lifts. It is what it is. Texas goes undefeated or loses a match then it probably won't matter. Which could very well happen. There isn't really anyone in the Big 12 who can compete with this roster even on their best day, unless Texas plays abominably a la Rice a couple of times a few years ago. Texas will have the better roster on paper than any of Ohio State, Minnesota, or Stanford. But shit happens. Just leaves very little room for error.

But so what. It's just a discussion point. You want to discuss the volleyball team, be my guest. You want to be internet tough guy over the fucking volleyball team, do that instead. I don't give a shit.

Just now, ss13 said:

‘Don’t care that much’. Types hundreds of words.

You’re a bitch because you already said one loss many months from know will cost us a top-4 seed.

Fuck you, chicken little. 

Fuck you right back. I type hundreds of words on a regular basis. You're not that special. That was a highly abbreviated post for me.

I said more than one loss, but who's counting. And I don't care that much about a top 4 seed. It's just preferable. 

You have a comment about the actual volleyball team? 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Hasn't this been a weakness with teams of the past? 

I know you and @Js1 are the most knowledgeable but what does the starting lineup look like next year with all the newcomers? 

It has, but the last couple of years it's been a point of emphasis and it seems to have paid off.

2020 was pretty painful because the error rate was huge.  It's always going to be a little bit cringey, but it was flat annoying in 2020.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Hasn't this been a weakness with teams of the past? 

I know you and @Js1 are the most knowledgeable but what does the starting lineup look like next year with all the newcomers? 

I have something of a different view on serving than some fans. Because the average sideout on serves is around 2/3s of the time, points scored when your team is serving is crucial. Therefore giving up points off of service errors is okay as long as you're scoring more than 1/3 of the time. The only way to be able to do that once you're in the Sweet Sixteen and beyond is to put pressure on serve receive - not necessarily with aces, as much as with serves that put the opponent off balance so that they don't get an easy kill in system. Although aces work, too, obviously.

I hate that the only serving statistics available to the public at large are aces and service errors, because neither one is a good metric for effective serving. Neither is points scored, IMO, which is a metric available to coaches, but not to the public. To me, the only real responsibility of the server is to keep the opponent from being able to score directly off the serve. After that it becomes a rally identical to receiving serve, and it's up to the team to execute better than their opponent. But the advantage of being in serve receive has been negated. There's also a matter of some servers have the advantage of being in favorable rotations that don't have that much to do with how amazing a server they are, but is reflected well on them in terms of the amount of points their team scores. 

I'd like to try to keep track of better serving statistics this year, although I won't have any kind of benchmarks for what I'm trying to measure. I tried to do it last year, but I was late in doing so, and when I went back to watch the matches to try to keep track of things it got too tedious for me. Better to do it while I'm watching the match. Something like ace, freeball, out of system ineffective kill by opponent, in system ineffective kill by opponent, and point for opponent off of UT's serve. I'm sure I'll make service error a separate part of the last category, but ace and service errors are easy since it's kept as part of the box score anyway.

The rotations are going to have a ridiculous amount of competition. We know players in the rotation for sure are Fleck as Libero, Eggleston as OH, Skinner as OH, and O'Neal as MB1. Even within those 4 it's not guaranteed they're all going to serve, but it's highly likely.

Bergmark, the graduate transfer from Cal playing in her 5th year, is the likely second MB. Some fans insist Molly Phillips might get a look there, too. I don't think so, but it's not outside the realm of possibility, either, since she started there previously. Mariana Singletary has a very outside shot of competing for playing time, but it's tough as a true freshman middle blocker. As an example, Brionne Butler redshirted her freshman year (although Chiaka Ogbogdu did not). 

Right side is likely Phillips again. The thought right now is that we'll see true freshman Devin Kahahawai as the other right side. But maybe Skinner moves over and Parra takes over the second OH position. We'll have to see. One thing is for sure. Kahahawai is a dynamic talent with high potential as a future 6 rotation player. 

For DS there's Parra, who could also see time as an OH.  Akana is the incoming transfer from Nebraska. It should be noted that Akana was notoriously bad in serve receive for Nebraska as a DS, which is not good. In the Nebraska match you can hear the commentators consistently talk about Nebraska hiding her from UT's serve, because they'd go after her over the 6 rotation players playing in the backcourt if it was available as an option. That said, she is excellent with digs and is a formidable server on a similar level with Eggleston and Parra. She led the Cornhuskers with 42 aces on the year, including 7 against Texas in the regional final loss. Both Heinrich, a libero who redshirted last year, and incoming ballyhooed recruit Emma Halter could also be factors as DSes. 

For setter the competition comes down to Saige Ka'aha'aina-Torres and incoming transfer Jenna Ewert, who started for Colorado last year. SKT is listed at 6', while Ewert is listed at 5'10. I would think that it's practically a done deal for SKT since she's already been on campus for an entire year, but there are knowledgeable PAC observers on Volleytalk who think Ewert is going to beat her out. Either way it's a win win for Texas. 

So, here's my guess:

L: Fleck

OH: Eggleston, Skinner

RS: Phillips, Kahahawai

MB: O'Neal, Bergmark

S: SKT

DS: Akana, Parra

My guess on servers will be Fleck, Eggleston, Skinner, Parra, O'Neal, Akana. All of this is subject to change other than the aforementioned Fleck, Eggleston, O'Neal, and I assume both Skinner and Phillips are going to be on the court somewhere.

Something I didn't know before, but apparently you can have the libero on the court the entire match without them serving. It's just if they serve once in a set, they have to serve in that rotation and that rotation only for the rest of the set. Pitt did this last year. But Fleck is a good enough server I don't think it's going to come down to that. 

In all honesty, it still feels confusing and quite a bit in flux, simply because of 5 high end transfers, plus the 3 very talented freshmen, after losing contributors Fields, Gabriel, Butler, Petersen, and Iosia. Not to mention the very significant coaching staff changes.

• Hook 'Em 4

1 minute ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Sorry my ignorance but is it common for somebody like Skinner to play RS or is her more natural position OH? 

From what I could infer in the other thread is that Skinner and Eggleston need to be on the court together. 

She was an OH for Kentucky. She played 6 rotations for the Wildcats last year. She wasn't amaze balls in the backcourt, but she was decent. 

Well, Eggleston plays 6 rotations for sure, so she's always on the court together with everyone else. The question will be if Skinner plays only the 3 front row rotations while Eggleston is in the back row, she plays 4 rotations because she serves, or Texas fields two 6 rotation players on the court at all times, which is highly unusual in college volleyball (although standard operating procedure internationally) because of the very liberal substitution rules. Those rules were written to help shorter players contribute as defensive specialists, so it's by design. 

Just an FYI, Skinner was rated the #2 player in the country coming out of high school. She's not as explosive as Skylar Fields, but holy moly she's an amazing replacement. 

As far as her playing RS, that's almost exclusively theory crafting on my part and shouldn't be taken all that seriously. The reason to do it is to find a way to get Parra opportunities in the front row while still keeping Skinner on the court. But she's naturally an OH as you've stated. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I don't understand why Phillips keeps getting penciled in as the starter at Opp when there are better options. She's only effective with a quick, in-system set. Out-of-system (high ball to the right pin) she is terrible and she isn't terminal on the left pin (typically where the Opp hits when receiving serve in rotation 1). Granted passing was a mess in the regional final match against Nebraska, but Phillips had 13 attempts and only earned 1 kill....That's not going to cut it against elite teams.  And to make a deep run in the tournament, the right pin hitter has to be just as effective as the left pin hitters. I do think Molly has a quick arm swing and knows how to hit angles, that's why I think she is more suitable at the MB2 position. 

Devin and Madi are better options at Opp, with Madi being more terminal...but I'm pretty sure Madi is intent on being a 6-rotation left side hitter. Both can hit in- and out-of-sytem and have a wider range of shots than what Molly can produce. 

If Bella does end up starting at MB with Asjia, then I can see Phillips being the starter in the beginning of the season for her experience then Devin taking over as she acclimates to the speed of the college game.  

Backrow defense should be stout with Fleck, Akana, Halter, and even Heinrich. I hope Elliott takes a cue from Nebraska and subs the back row with the BEST defensive players on the team (sorry, but Parra is mediocre at best as a DS). The back row floor defense is what's going to keep us in games. Texas should have more than enough fire power in the front row to make up for possible back row attack options. 

My ideal line-up:

• Lib - Fleck
  • Setter - SKT or Ewert
  • OH1 - Logan
  • OH2 - Madi
  • MB1 - Asjia
  • MB2 - Molly or Bella
  • Opp - Devin
  • DS for Opp - Akana
  • DS for OH2 (if needed) - Emma

Edited by TexasDPT
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, TexasDPT said:

I don't understand why Phillips keeps getting penciled in as the starter at Opp when there are better options. She's only effective with a quick, in-system set. Out-of-system (high ball to the right pin) she is terrible and she isn't terminal on the left pin (typically where the Opp hits when receiving serve in rotation 1). Granted passing was a mess in the regional final match against Nebraska, but Phillips had 13 attempts and only earned 1 kill....That's not going to cut it against elite teams.  And to make a deep run in the tournament, the right pin hitter has to be just as effective as the left pin hitters. I do think Molly has a quick arm swing and knows how to hit angles, that's why I think she is more suitable at the MB2 position. 

Devin and Madi are better options at Opp, with Madi being more terminal...but I'm pretty sure Madi is intent on being a 6-rotation left side hitter. Both can hit in- and out-of-sytem and have a wider range of shots than what Molly can produce. 

If Bella does end up starting at MB with Asjia, then I can see Phillips being the starter in the beginning of the season for her experience then Devin taking over as she acclimates to the speed of the college game.  

Backrow defense should be stout with Fleck, Akana, Halter, and even Heinrich. I hope Elliott takes a cue from Nebraska and subs the back row with the BEST defensive players on the team (sorry, but Parra is mediocre at best as a DS). The back row floor defense is what's going to keep us in games. Texas should have more than enough fire power in the front row to make up for possible back row attack options. 

My ideal line-up:

• Lib - Fleck
  • Setter - SKT or Ewert
  • OH1 - Logan
  • OH2 - Madi
  • MB1 - Asjia
  • MB2 - Molly or Bella
  • Opp - Devin
  • DS for Opp - Akana
  • DS for OH2 (if needed) - Emma

I agree completely on Phillips' issues being terminal on the right side, but if Elliott wants her on the floor, I do think it's easier for her to earn a spot there than at MB. Bergmark is no Kaitlyn Hord, the All American MB who transferred from Penn State following Russ Rose's retirement, whom we lost to Nebraska (and giving that scholarship is what caused Akana to leave Nebraska), but she's a high quality scoring option from the middle. We also don't know exactly how Kahahawei will react to the college environment as a freshman, but I have high hopes. 

Parra is in a rough spot. I'm unconvinced she chose the right school. Similar to Pilar Victoria, she's a national team player from a different country who is relatively short for an OH at Texas (Victoria was 6', Parra is listed at 5'11). She became a powerhouse after transferring to Arkansas. It just feels like Elliott has tried to find ways for Parra to contribute beyond serving simply to keep her on campus. Her passing numbers aren't bad, apparently, but she has absolutely no range, and not a great feel for back row play, IMO. Having Fleck will be extremely helpful for everyone because she tends to be a ball hog - exactly what you want in a libero. But yeah, there's been some round peg in square hole kind of lineup manipulations with Parra, IMO. We'll see what happens this year.

I think my big point is we're going to have to see how the lineups shake out. Unfortunately, as I stated earlier in the thread a few days ago, after nonconference the Big 12 is going to almost certainly be a doughnut in terms of high level competition. Whatever lineup changes won't face anything resembling what they'll see in the Sweet Sixteen and beyond. Practice will generally be a better test than anything the conference will be able to throw out there. Especially if Larson ever suits up.

10 hours ago, Chicken fried bacon said:

Any idea when single game tickets go on sale?  I want to bring my daughters that play high school and club volleyball to the OU game. 

Here was a reply on volleytalk to that question, posted yesterday:

”Season ticket renewal deadline is tomorrow. They still need to seat the new season ticket holders and hold the upgrade event process. So they're weeks away from single match tickets going on sale. Probably August.”

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

SL needs help. 

15 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

https://texassports.com/sports/womens-volleyball/schedule

Orange/White scrimmage added for 3pm on Aug 14 (Sunday). 

Exhibition game at Rice the next weekend at 1pm Aug 20 (Saturday).

I have no idea how they’ll draw it up, but regardless the Orange/White scrimmage will be one of the toughest opponents Texas sees all year. 

I know it can’t happen, but there’s a part of me that would love to see the freshmen on the floor with Jordan Larson on one side and see how that goes. 

• Haha 1

Nebraska’s all American MB, Kaylee Caffey, who was granted an extremely unique 7th year of eligibility by the NCAA, has now entered the transfer portal as of two days ago, and it’s looking clearly like she’s coming to Texas. Don’t know if it works out or not, but there’s a lot of social media smoke regarding it. She was just in Austin a couple of weeks ago which seemed about visiting her friend and former teammate Keonilei Akana, but it’s now obvious there were other factors involved. 

• Hook 'Em 1