2022 Volleyball - Stacked as Hell

Js1

14 hours ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Skinner is starting to look much more comfortable. 

Tech didn't cheat their middles to the pins like KU and OU. With how fast the Texas attack is, it allowed Eggleston and Skinner to pretty much be one on one. I'd like to see Skinner work on tooling off the block. Parra, too, for that matter. But with the opportunities she had against Tech it simply wasn't necessary. 

There's a real issue with the level of competition we're going to be facing. I know I'm a broken record on this, but I've been saying it since before the season started, and now we're here. You cannot believe everything your eyes are telling you, because it's not going to be a good comparison to what Texas will face deep in the tournament. And let's face it. No one is going to be satisfied with a Final Four with this team. It's pretty much championship or bust. I thought last year's team was, too. Certainly an Elite Eight finish in Gregory Gym against Nebraska of all teams, who hit around .212 for the season, was not an uplifting end. 

But what are you going to do? At least the practices are high level. 

Interesting to see Caffey subbed for Bergmark halfway through set 2. I haven't seen Elliott sub any regular midway through a set. It's always between sets (Caffey subbed for Bergmark in set 3 against Kansas), or even more common, between matches. And it's not like she made a big difference. There simply wasn't a need to go to the middle. And Bergmark only had 1 block assist, while Caffey had zero. 

I assume we'll see the Eggleston/Parra coupling, with Skinner on the right side and Phillips on the bench some time again this year. Don't know what he's seeing in practice, or what his criteria is. 

The key thing for me is the backcourt play. And they were ridiculously good. Fleck is obviously the star (almost 7 digs per set, are you kidding me?), but both Halter and Akana played fine. Still only 2 blocks per set. I don't know how we're doing in touches compared to previous years, but it's unsettling to me we're last in the Big 12 in blocks. 

• Hook 'Em 1

@Mittens You were several seats away from me.  I was right on the baseline.  First live match for me this season too.  Skinner's passing has improved as well.  It's nice to have someone that good be able to step up when Logan has a sub-par night, and she did.  Some of that was on SKT.  I get they want to set the pin quicker to beat the block, but if the pass is off the net, just set it high and let her go over or tool the block.  They tried to force the quick ones too much and Logan hit .194.  The Greg went nuts when Parra came in for Logan in the 3rd set to serve though.  I really wanted to see her unleash one in person, but she only served twice - first one in the net and second one floated long.

2 minutes ago, Mittens said:

Thought the crowd reaction to Parra coming in was pretty great!  ...and that she might have been a little jacked up in the moment when she served! 😂😂

I love college volleyball crowds. Texas’ “BOOM!” When Parra serves. The Purdue students go “Eva!” (like from Wall-E) when their stud freshman Eva Hudson attacks the ball 

Also big eyes emoji to Tonya Johnson and LSU!

Beat undefeated Auburn last night in 5.   5 of their 6 SEC matches have gone to 6.  They are now 4-2 in the league. 

They also came back from a 15-7 deficit in the fourth with an 18-7 run to force a fifth set. 

They have a big one against Florida tomorrow. 

Edited by Js1

Jerritt Elliott press conference. First one of the year. I'm just so happy we got ONE. He usually does another one prior to the start of the tournament, and then after that they happen with some frequency, after each match and then prior to the regional and the Final Four if/when Texas makes it that far.

Some interesting stuff about hosting a preseason tournament with 4 top teams at the AAC in Dallas every year. He's waiting to get the okay from those guys next week, but he feels good about it. 

He relays a neat quote from Emma Halter following the win over KU in 5: "Winners win, coach."

Says the level of buy in from everyone on the team, the work ethic, and intensity of practices is better than he's ever had. 

I think he's so good at these. I wish he did more. Also, I wish there was at least one female reporter in the room asking questions. It's a complete sausage fest in there talking about a women's team. I am glad Danny Davis covers the team. I feel like he does a decent job.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Hornbeliever said:

Yeah, I didn't even see her on bench.  Hope not portal!

She was on the bench next to the coaches, but not dressed out.

She could still enter the portal after the season, but that's not what tonight was about. 

2 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Biggest match of conference play on Saturday, 2pm, ESPN+ - @ Baylor, who swept Rice tonight. 

That's an ideal time. 2pm on a Saturday for the biggest match of the conference season. Makes complete sense. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, SL Xpress said:

She was on the bench next to the coaches, but not dressed out.

She could still enter the portal after the season, but that's not what tonight was about. 

That's an ideal time. 2pm on a Saturday for the biggest match of the conference season. Makes complete sense. 

Yeah it’s fucking dumb.