2022 Volleyball - Stacked as Hell

Js1

6 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

I don't recall seeing her at Senior Day before, but mamma mia.  He outkicked his coverage.

Just flexing those amazing recruiting skills. Her IG feed is mildly unbelievable. I didn't look at every photo, but I looked at about a dozen, which was enough of them. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Selection Sunday!

Texas should be the overall #1, just a matter of the 4 sub regional teams coming to Texas and who is seed 8/9/16 for the regional  

Does the committee match up two B1G teams in the 8/9 slot, almost guaranteeing Texas would face someone like Minny, Nebraska or Ohio State for the chance to go to the Final Four? (Bunched up in the projected 7-8-9 seeds)

Do they seed Nebraska in our regional for the stories, currently limping and injured going into December? Could USC be someone who gets into a Lincoln sub regional and Skylar ends up back in Austin? 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Selection Sunday!

Texas should be the overall #1, just a matter of the 4 sub regional teams coming to Texas and who is seed 8/9/16 for the regional  

Does the committee match up two B1G teams in the 8/9 slot, almost guaranteeing Texas would face someone like Minny, Nebraska or Ohio State for the chance to go to the Final Four? (Bunched up in the projected 7-8-9 seeds)

Do they seed Nebraska in our regional for the stories, currently limping and injured going into December? Could USC be someone who gets into a Lincoln sub regional and Skylar ends up back in Austin? 

dramatic-chipmunk.gif&f=1&nofb=1&ipt=3fb

• Like 1

Selection Sunday!

Agree with all of that. With Nebraska losing twice this weekend, they can see the arguments to send them either here or to send them to Louisville.

Watching some VB this past week, I would NOT want to run into UCF as #16. They seem very dangerous with Melville.

1 hour ago, WBT said:

Georgia Tech, Minnesota, and Ohio St are the other hosts in our quarter.

Kind of lame after we already played Minnesota and Ohio St.

Marquette is the host. Georgia Tech is bracketed for them in the second round in Milwaukee.

Honestly, that will be a challenge for Georgia Tech. They have an unbelievable player in Julia Bergmark, but she's virtually the definition of a one woman team. They wouldn't be a tournament quality team without her. Still, she can kill the ball out of system from anywhere and is one of the better defensive 6 rotation players in the country. She'll probably have 60 swings in that match assuming both of them make it that far.

Minnesota is way scarier than Ohio State. I don't really care. We have to beat whoever is in front of us. But Ohio State has to play at their very best to have a chance to win. Londot is a terrific right pin when she's on, but she's so inconsistent, and both of their pins are better suited as 2nd pins rather than players to completely count on. And their outstanding middle, Rader, hasn't been as outstanding this year as she was last season. Their stud libero (in my opinion) Murr has been injured, which is a huge reason for their late season swoon. They just don't have enough star power, IMO. 

Minnesota on the other hand has plenty. Landfair is on the same kind of level as Eggleston/Skinner as a left pin, and she plays 6 rotations. Not great defensively but she's a threat from all over the court. I love their freshman middle, Carter Booth. Both Wucherer and Wenaas are dangerous. Podraza is a better setter than Minnesota's Shaffmaster, but they're in the same class of setter, IMO. 

If Ohio State is on then they've already shown they can beat anyone. If Minnesota is on then I consider them one of the most talented teams in the country. Neither one of them has been able to be consistent. 

I was rooting we'd get Nebraska sent to our region. Alas, didn't happen.

I was also hoping for either Rice or Houston to host a first/second round pod, but both of them barely missed it. 

45 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

A weird bracket. So Ohio State and Minnesota will play each other in the Sweet 16 for the 3rd time? 

Ohio State did lose 4 straight matches to end the season. Potential upset in the 2nd round from USC? 

USC needs their setter back or they're not going to have much of a chance. They're another one woman team with Skylar Fields. I'll be shocked if USC is able to come out on top. They just don't have the horses even with Tuaniga healthy. Also, Fields has been nursing an injury that limits her practice time, for the last couple of weeks. 

7 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Minnesota gave us more issues than Ohio State didn't they? 

I definitely agree we would prefer Ohio State. 

Minnesota took a set from us in Gregory in a 3-1 loss. Ohio State lost 6 out of 7 sets over two days in Columbus. 

I'd say Ohio State has been more consistent and is more of a team effort. They depend more on their scrappiness. Minnesota is more talented with more overall firepower. Their coach has already announced this is his last season. The Gophers are so schizophrenic, though. My druthers is to face Ohio State again. Not based on our matches with the two teams, because that was at the beginning of the season and all the teams are different, now. But based on watching the two play. I just think if both teams are playing at their best, Minnesota's ceiling is waaaaaay higher. But if Ohio State gets Murr back healthy I think their performance is more consistent. They're both worthy Elite Eight opponents for sure. 

18 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

Not me. Really wanted Nebraska.

Now the only way to face Nebraska is in the national championship in Omaha. I'm still hoping for it, but I think the chances are very slim. 

That’s your opinion, bro. A hurt and scuffling Corn scares me. Somehow they’d pull it off in Austin

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Js1 said:

That’s your opinion, bro. A hurt and scuffling Corn scares me. Somehow they’d pull it off in Austin

Yeah, I know it's my opinion. Either this Texas team would beat them - and they should - or they'd lose in a match that says they didn't deserve to compete for a national championship in the first place. I have confidence they would have come out on top. 

Doesn't matter, though. Nebraska is in a different region. I'm disappointed. You're ecstatic. That's how it goes. 

I wouldn’t say ecstatic. Minny in Hugh’s last season is scary too. They will be very motivated to get him to the Final Four. At least we’ve beaten them once already, in Gregory, and that was when Skinner was playing terrible to start the year and before Caffey solidified her spot as MB2

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, SL Xpress said:

Marquette is the host. Georgia Tech is bracketed for them in the second round in Milwaukee.

Oops, right you are.  I guess I heard that wrong during the announcement show.  These drawn out ESPN shows are so dumb...just release the bracket!

Not me. Really wanted Nebraska.
Now the only way to face Nebraska is in the national championship in Omaha. I'm still hoping for it, but I think the chances are very slim. 

I didn’t want to play Nebraska until Knuckles went out for the season. Seeing their below-average serve/receive and passing vs Wisc and Minn changed my mind. (I bet Cook really misses Akana now!)

Nevertheless, I don’t think Nebraska will make it to Omaha. I hoping for a dump of ticket sales for the Final Four.

25 minutes ago, SATXHorn said:

I didn’t want to play Nebraska until Knuckles went out for the season. Seeing their below-average serve/receive and passing vs Wisc and Minn changed my mind. (I bet Cook really misses Akana now!)

Nevertheless, I don’t think Nebraska will make it to Omaha. I hoping for a dump of ticket sales for the Final Four.

If Texas faces Wisconsin their heads might explode. They'd probably root for Texas, but it would be under protest. 

3 hours ago, mrhorn said:

Is that good?

It's very good, but not quite as good as it looks. Texas dominated the conference. It's not unusual for that team to then dominate the postseason awards.

Having 6 players on the first team is great, but it should be pointed out there are 15 players on the first team. Baylor had 4 players on the first team. 

The impressive thing is that there were 5 unanimous selections, and Texas had 3 of them. Eggleston, Skinner, and O'Neal (Baylor's MB McGhee and TCU's OH Nalls were the other two). 

There were 3 setters on the first team, with Baylor's Carlson (winner of the FPOY) and TCU's Williams joining SKT. 

Molly Phillips is listed as a middle blocker, when she's not. She's a right side hitter, or an opposite. 

Fleck is the only libero who made all conference, when I believe Baylor's Briseno should have been recognized in some way as well. 

It's as impressive a job of roster construction as we may ever see at Texas.