2022 Volleyball - Stacked as Hell

Js1

16 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

Nebraska’s all American MB, Kaylee Caffey, who was granted an extremely unique 7th year of eligibility by the NCAA, has now entered the transfer portal as of two days ago, and it’s looking clearly like she’s coming to Texas. Don’t know if it works out or not, but there’s a lot of social media smoke regarding it. She was just in Austin a couple of weeks ago which seemed about visiting her friend and former teammate Keonilei Akana, but it’s now obvious there were other factors involved. 

Hmmm maybe thats why the fall volleyball roster on texas sports hasn't  been posted yet. ( the fall soccer roster is up to date )

9 minutes ago, Js1 said:

That Cal MB transfer must be walking on for depth. Because this isn’t good for her starting prospects 

That or she was recruited over. Texas isn't going to turn down an All-American are they? 

No way Texas could have anticipated a player of this quality would be available so late. 

5 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

That or she was recruited over. Texas isn't going to turn down an All-American are they? 

No way Texas could have anticipated a player of this quality would be available so late. 

Of course not.  Also speculation that Eggleston's NIL could pay for a year of school.  Or Jermaine could pay for his daughter's final year to get Caffey on scholly. 

Edited by Js1

48 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Of course not.  Also speculation that Eggleston's NIL could pay for a year of school.  Or Jermaine could pay for his daughter's final year to get Caffey on scholly. 

I went over to that volleytalk forum for the first time and there's a lot of talk about scholarships. I don't get it.  What's the cost for a year of school these days at Texas.....30K?

An All-American for 30k. There's no way Texas won't find a way to make it work if Caffey wants to play here. 

4 hours ago, Rickylovesweed said:

I went over to that volleytalk forum for the first time and there's a lot of talk about scholarships. I don't get it.  What's the cost for a year of school these days at Texas.....30K?

An All-American for 30k. There's no way Texas won't find a way to make it work if Caffey wants to play here. 

No one on there who posts regularly has any kind of inside scoop. Including me. At least in terms of Texas. There are plenty of people on there with inside scoop regarding volleyball in general and lots of insiders for other programs. 

A person just made their first post on VT saying Eggleston is on academic scholarship. I know she has the big deal with Champions as well as some other endorsements, but she also earned a prestigious academic award that has a bunch of money attached to it in the spring semester. 

Caffey has already earned her masters in education. The NCAA doesn’t mandate a grad student has to take graduate courses, or be working towards a degree. If they already have their degree, the. Just taking classes is enough to keep their eligibility. But this is really late in the process. I hope the academic side can figure out what needs to be done to get her in school, along with the money side of the equation. 

I also don’t understand how a program can use NIL to expand their roster of scholarship tier players as a workaround for scholarship limitations, or what that means for the future of college athletics. 

18 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

I also don’t understand how a program can use NIL to expand their roster of scholarship tier players as a workaround for scholarship limitations, or what that means for the future of college athletics. 

Ask OU Softball.  They've been a masterclass this offseason in using NIL money to bring in top talent despite 100% allocation of scholarship. 

As long as top tier players want to come, NIL money gives them the chance to walk-on and have someone pay their way.  A lot of players will ring chase now.

One year rentals, you find the money for a year of school with NIL opportunities.  Two/three year players, you find them the NIL money for year one and then find scholarship money for them after that when the players you recruited over transfer out and you reallocate money.   You can also use NIL money for big names to cover COA and then their scholarship is used for someone else; theoretically, as mentioned, Logan's NIL money could cover her COA for 2022 and the scholarship could have been used for any of the transfers we lured. 

I'm glad I'm not the head coach of a program trying to figure out where to allocate my annual money and extraneous NIL money each year and then shuffle it around in the offseason for different folks. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I’m catching up to the thread but I would just like to point out that @SL Xpress stating that Texas won’t get a top 4 seed with a loss is just a fact. He didn’t say it will happen or express any emotion about it. I really don’t get why @ss13 read so much in to it and got upset.

Edited by Irieguy

Spoiler
On 7/27/2022 at 10:28 PM, LTtxfan said:

Speaking of Jhenna...

Congrats to Jhenna. I don’t want to upset anyone, but I believe she got a lot of undue (or harsher than necessary) criticism during her time at Texas.

On 7/28/2022 at 11:56 PM, SL Xpress said:

Nebraska’s all American MB, Kaylee Caffey, who was granted an extremely unique 7th year of eligibility by the NCAA, has now entered the transfer portal as of two days ago, and it’s looking clearly like she’s coming to Texas. Don’t know if it works out or not, but there’s a lot of social media smoke regarding it. She was just in Austin a couple of weeks ago which seemed about visiting her friend and former teammate Keonilei Akana, but it’s now obvious there were other factors involved. 

Okay, if that is the case, then I will finally agree with whomever it was that described this offseason as “stars aligning”. Thank you for the continued updates on these lesser-trafficked threads. 

On 7/29/2022 at 4:57 PM, Irieguy said:

I really don’t get why @ss13 read so much in to it and got upset.

ISWYDT. I didn’t understand the vitriol either..or the lack of self-awareness.

• Like 1

On 7/29/2022 at 3:45 PM, SL Xpress said:

I don't know what it means either but it's becoming obvious that big brands can build super teams with NIL and the transfer portal. At least for the sports that have smaller rosters. 

Texas T/F didn't build "super teams" but they built good enough teams to win a national title and three 2nd place finishes. 

Texas volleyball is building a super team. 

Texas women's basketball probably didn't build a super team but it's like the next level down. 

OU softball is building a super team. 

For any sport at Texas that has 15 or fewer scholarship players we should be buying 4 or 5 transfers a year and you're right in the national title mix. This feels like a system you can easily rig if you really want to win. 

I still expect to add All-American MB Kayla Caffey from Nebraska to the roster for her 7th year of eligibility, but the amount of drama associated with her departure from Nebraska is unbelievable, mostly thanks to head coach John Cook’s constant need to massage his machinations to produce the most favorable outcome for his program.

He’s been caught blatantly lying about Caffey and their approach to her to the gathered media at the inaugural Big 10 media days, to the point he had to issue a retraction a few hours later. The whole thing has been astounding, and has certainly permanently colored the view of Cook for anyone who has followed the story closely who isn’t a Nebraska fan. It appears after going through the process for getting the NCAA to apply a waiver to Caffey, he was subsequently told if they put her on scholarship for 2022 it would result in a scholarship penalty for 2023, for reasons I won’t go into right now. 

After that it looks like he purposefully withheld the information they wouldn’t grant her a scholarship until June 30, in an effort to make sure Caffey didn’t enter her name in the portal by July 1, which was the deadline for someone to automatically get a transfer waiver due to not being offered a scholarship by their old school. It doesn’t mean she still can’t get a waiver, but it does mean it won’t be automatic and some kind of process will have to be worked through, with some really extreme timing issues given the start of practice next week. 

14 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

I still expect to add All-American MB Kayla Caffey from Nebraska to the roster for her 7th year of eligibility, but the amount of drama associated with her departure from Nebraska is unbelievable, mostly thanks to head coach John Cook’s constant need to massage his machinations to produce the most favorable outcome for his program.

He’s been caught blatantly lying about Caffey and their approach to her to the gathered media at the inaugural Big 10 media days, to the point he had to issue a retraction a few hours later. The whole thing has been astounding, and has certainly permanently colored the view of Cook for anyone who has followed the story closely who isn’t a Nebraska fan. It appears after going through the process for getting the NCAA to apply a waiver to Caffey, he was subsequently told if they put her on scholarship for 2022 it would result in a scholarship penalty for 2023, for reasons I won’t go into right now. 

After that it looks like he purposefully withheld the information they wouldn’t grant her a scholarship until June 30, in an effort to make sure Caffey didn’t enter her name in the portal by July 1, which was the deadline for someone to automatically get a transfer waiver due to not being offered a scholarship by their old school. It doesn’t mean she still can’t get a waiver, but it does mean it won’t be automatic and some kind of process will have to be worked through, with some really extreme timing issues given the start of practice next week. 

I don't like that guy.  He looks like an asshole and carries himself like an asshole, but that's just an impression/intuition, and fueled by rivalry/jealousy.

Where is this documented?  I wanna read and give some life to my impression.

• Hook 'Em 1

22 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

I don't like that guy.  He looks like an asshole and carries himself like an asshole, but that's just an impression/intuition, and fueled by rivalry/jealousy.

Here’s a 24 hour old post that’s already 25 pages long:

https://volleytalk.proboards.com/thread/90263/caffey-cook

I give a synopsis to another poster on page 6. Here is a copy of that post:

Well, I think it’s fair to say both Caffey and Cook/Nebraska wanted a 7th year for Caffey. 

Cook said they were pursuing a possible 7th year for Caffey after the season was over. After that it became muddled, with Nebraska fans regularly pointing out the strange amount of silence about it as time went on. Very conflicting signals from various levels of interaction on Caffey’s part with the Nebraska program. 

Early in the summer when asked about it Cook says there’s good news. The NCAA has granted Caffey’s waiver! Now the ball is “in her court” according to Cook, but it’s unclear what he meant by that. A lot of allusions to how complicated the whole thing is, and how Nebraska could take a serious financial hit depending on what they choose to do or not do, but no specifics about what he means by any of it. 

Last week Caffey puts up a post on Instagram thanking Nebraska fans and coaches for the opportunities availed to her, but says due to there not being a scholarship available for her in the fall she’s entering the transfer portal. This comes as a shock to everyone involved, including Nebraska fans and apparently Cook himself. As an ancillary, via social media activity it looks clear she’s zeroed in on Texas as a likely destination for her 7th year, which may or may not play a factor. 

At the Big 10 media day following the opening question Cook uses part of his answer to go on an extended explanation of what happened with Caffey, explaining Nebraska worked hard to obtain that 7th year waiver for Caffey and was fully willing to pay a scholarship penalty to have her on the team in the fall. He repeated this assertion after a journalist at the event requested clarification. This was a strong contradiction of Caffey’s IG post, and put into question what Caffey’s real motives would be, and why would she lie about not having a scholarship opportunity. 

A few hours later he issues a retraction, saying she didn’t have a scholarship for the fall, but Nebraska had been trying to pursue a number of NIL opportunities to make up the shortfall for her. 

Then we have the comments from the video above, where Cook implies Caffey is being greedy about NIL opportunities elsewhere, while he graciously pursued professional opportunities for her, by putting her in contact with agents and possible pro openings. 

Alongside this we have an explosive post from @bwf3, an anonymous industry insider who has demonstrated access to information not readily available to the public on multiple occasions. He’s made it clear he’s not a big fan of how Cook operates. He says in the post that Cook has deliberately sabotaged any effort on Caffey’s part to play a 7th year after the waiver was granted by the NCAA by withholding from her that Nebraska would not support her financially in doing so because of the scholarship penalty involved. He ensured the deadlines passed and that he revealed to her there would be no scholarship as close to the opening of the season as he could. 

So according to this narrative, not only has Cook sabotaged Caffey’s efforts to play a possible 7th year, he’s gone on to lie about the reasons she’s left Nebraska, has implied she’s being greedy regarding NIL opportunities, accuses her of valuing herself over the program and her teammates “plays for the name on the back of the jersey, not the front of it” and throws out there he’s helped her meet with professional agents to further jeopardize her potential eligibility. 

I’m probably missing some things, but that’s the gist of it so far. Cook should refrain from making any more comments on it from my point of view, because everything I see posted on here from him makes him look worse and worse, and it’s from his own words on the subject. 

Sorry about the white text on a black background. It’s a copy paste job and getting things changed on a tablet is more trouble than it’s worth. 

It’s still an ongoing story. 

• Hook 'Em 2

4 hours ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Hopefully, it leads to more Nebraska defections. Screw that roster over and our biggest competition for a national title. 

I don’t see it having an impact on them beyond losing Caffey. They’ll have to depend on one of their super freshmen to play MB alongside AA Kaitlyn Hord, and that’s not ideal. For the future they’re on an incredible roll in recruiting. Practically half the u19 team is Nebraska commits for 2023 or 2024. 

It does put them down one scholarship player for the fall, as they only have 11 on the team now. It’s something of a toss up who will be preseason #1 between the two clubs, but if Caffey ends up at Texas like I think she will, then it will almost certainly be Texas. But I don’t see anyone being #1 or #2 outside of Texas and Nebraska. 

Ohio State and Minnesota should both be ranked in the top 10, btw. But since they’re in the same conference as Nebraska and Wisconsin, they’ll have to settle for #3 and #4 preseason in their own conference. 

As an aside, Ohio State’s non con is slightly insane. Along with Texas they play all 3 of the ACC juggernauts from last year in Pitt, Louisville, and Georgia Tech. San Diego will field one of their best teams ever. BYU is a perennial deep run threat for the tournament. And even Tennessee is one of the best programs in the SEC not named Florida or Kentucky. It’s obvious the players and coach are excited about starting the season against Texas - as they should be, frankly. No word on couch burnings being pre set.

For me, I’m ridiculously pumped about the Orange-white scrimmage on the 14th at 3pm. Honestly, I wish we could substitute a few more of those for some of the matches already on the schedule. I think it’s highly likely the second 6 on the team would be a better 6 player rotation than anyone else in the conference. Then you add Larson being available in the gym. That’s where most of their sharpening is going to have to occur after these first four matches. 

15 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

Always got major major asshole vibes from John Cook.

Can't deny his achievements - .827 winning % and 4 titles, but god damn he is so unlikeable. 

Caffey announces her commitment to play her 7th year at Texas On instagram, basically cementing incoming MB Singletary to a RS, which is not bad 

Eggleston, Phillips, Skinner, Caffey, O’Neal, Fleck, Akana, SKT. That can win a title 

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 2

I guess they got her waiver. Her pic on her Instagram declaring for Texas is especially magnetic. 

Fleck, Skinner, Bergmark, Ewert, Akana, and now Caffey. After pulling SKT last year. Plus add David Hunt and Jordan Larson. That’s one heck of an off-season. 

I can hardly wait for that orange white scrimmage on August 14. This Texas team is beyond loaded with competition all over the place. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

So Texas has an All-American at almost every position? 

Yes, except for RS and DS. 

OH - Logan Eggleston (2020/2021 1st Team All American), Madi Skinner (2020/2021 Honorable Mention All American)
MB - Asija O'Neal (2020 Honorable Mention All American), Kayla Caffey (2021 Second Team All American)
RS - Molly Phillips
S - SKT (2019 Honorable Mention All American)
L - Zoe Fleck (2021 Third team All American)
DS - Keonilei Akana

2 hours ago, Js1 said:

Caffey announces her commitment to play her 7th year at Texas On instagram, basically cementing incoming MB Singletary to a RS, which is not bad 

Eggleston, Phillips, Skinner, Caffey, O’Neal, Fleck, Akana, SKT. That can win a title 

• Hook 'Em 3

Get your first look at the 2022 Texas Volleyball team at the annual Orange-White Scrimmage on Sunday, Aug. 14. First serve for the scrimmage is scheduled for 3 p.m. at Gregory Gym and admission is FREE.

After the scrimmage, Texas Volleyball will host a post-match autograph session.

For fans coming to the scrimmage, doors at Gregory Gym open at 2 p.m. Fans may park for free in the Speedway Garage

Volleyball to host Orange-White Scrimmage on August 14 - University of Texas Athletics (texassports.com)

14 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

Hopefully the Ohio State games are streamed for free somewhere, otherwise  we’ll have to wait until our home opener on August 31st to watch them on LHN

Friday night (Aug 26) - FS1 (no week 0 football on Friday)
Saturday night (August 27) - Big 10 Network (Wyoming @ Illinois in football is prior to the volleyball match, with no B1G night game in week 0) 

I'm on vacation abroad that weekend, so you fucks better pick up the slack. 

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 1

I don’t put too much faith into it. One of the tools any good bureaucrat knows is if there’s a tricky situation that either can’t be solved to people’s satisfaction, or would require a massive investment in resources for a dubious return, is the idea of “tabling” it. “Stick a pin in that!” - and then if it comes up again do it again.

What changes that behavior is if the pain involved of continually kicking the can down the road to avoid direct confrontation reaches a certain threshold, then it’s just better to try to deal with whatever it is. 

I do not believe a few tweets regarding the Texas volleyball team’s inner team scrimmage being shown on LHN is going to warrant that. Especially when we don’t know what the barrier is. Is it LHN? Is it Elliott? It’s only a few days away. Is ESPN really going to scramble a crew together for what is already by their admission a bare bones operation…for this? Color me skeptical. ESPN are definitely short timers with LHN at this point. They’re ready to move on.

On the other hand, I’m glad people are tweeting about it. Better to be a squeaky wheel than do nothing. 

Here’s part of an outstanding interview with new coaches David Hunt and Jordan Larson. It’s obvious from this interview we’re not going to have them long. David Hunt sounds to me like head coaching material for a big time program once an opening comes up. 

I believe we’re going to get some of the rest of it in a typewritten fashion on volleymag, but things could change. From what I understand it was an hour long interview. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Gardner Barnes said:

Reese Emwrick just commited to Ut. Prep VB top 150 L from Westlake

I wonder if she has a scholarship? Given the roster makeup and transfers this year, I wonder if it even matters any more?

Does she play on your daughter’s club team? You posted on VT that her form is impeccable. Her highlight reel is impressive, but I can rarely be conclusive about a player from their highlight reel. 

9 hours ago, SL Xpress said:

I wonder if she has a scholarship? Given the roster makeup and transfers this year, I wonder if it even matters any more?

Does she play on your daughter’s club team? You posted on VT that her form is impeccable. Her highlight reel is impressive, but I can rarely be conclusive about a player from their highlight reel. 

Looks like she is a class of '24 recruit

1 hour ago, TheBryMan81 said:

Looks like she is a class of '24 recruit

Yes, I understand that. The question I still have is if she's going to be on scholarship or not. 

An unanswerable question with this program, but still a question.

I'm favoring the scrimmage not being shown by LHN is Elliott's decision. Angela Kelly's national champions in underachieving are having their exhibition against powerhouse Incarnate Word shown on LHN. They've shown the Orange White scrimmage previously on LHN. 

This idea that CDC isn't intimately aware of what's going on with the volleyball program is insanely naive. They've had a ridiculous amount of turnover in what in many ways is a crown jewel of the women's side (although Schaefer is getting women's basketball back there for sure).  They just hired the Michael Jordan of women's volleyball as their volunteer coach, along with pilfering her husband who was the men's head coach of a very strong Pepperdine program, and had a ton of opportunities to head up a national team (not THE national team, but one of the others). Part of the reason for the move is that Pepperdine wouldn't allow Jordan Larson to be on staff because of nepotism rules, so they had to make sure that wouldn't be an issue at Texas. Something I'm sure CDC was involved with even if in a tertiary role. 

They have 18 players on roster, including about 14 or 15 of those who should be on scholarship, in a sport where you're only allowed 12 scholarship players. There is no telling who has scholarships and who doesn't. Lots of accusations being thrown around of NIL money making up the difference, a la OU softball, which could mean Texas is ushering in a new landscape in women's volleyball. No WAY CDC isn't aware of exactly what's going on, and how it pertains to NCAA rules and guidelines, not to mention state statutes. 

So sure thing, he had no idea the scrimmage was on Sunday and wasn't being televised. Didn't even think to look. The guy who has criticized LHN for being the History channel. 

He did the right thing to protect Elliott. Feign checking on it when he knows the answer. Give a vague answer shrouded in obscurity. Excitedly point out all 14 home matches will be televised. Profit!

She has a scholarship offer.

I’ve seen lots of liberos. Lots. She is as good as it gets in her age group. I am close to her family and I know how much work she has put in to perfect her craft.

Edit - tried to add more detail but it timed out so adding it here.

She has a scholarship offer.

I’ve seen lots of of HS age liberos. Lots. She is as good as it gets in her age group. She is a few years younger than my kid (mine had her first college scrimmage today as a matter of fact) However I am close to her family and I know how much work she has put in to perfect her craft. She plays behind a few D1 middles in club that frequently slow the ball, so a better evual can be made when she was playing out of position on the WHS HS team last year. Even out of position (because WHS OH passing was and still is atrocious) playing Middle back she was averaging a high 2 passing average.

In additional I’ve sat behind her at several tounements with a coaching friend of mine and my daughters college assistant and they are both consistently impressed how well she reads the attack.

Long story short texas is getting prob the best 24 Libero in the state.