2022 Volleyball - Stacked as Hell

Js1

It's funny to see the "focus on the talented bench players and freshmen comments" on volleytalk. 

I knew Elliott was going to load up in the portal again. Texas just won a national title by landing insane talent from the portal and you think he's going to abandon that the following year? The gym will be loaded again and the best players will win starting spots. 

Edited by Rickylovesweed
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

It's funny to see the "focus on the talented bench players and freshmen comments" on volleytalk. 

I knew Elliott was going to load up in the portal again. Texas just won a national title by landing insane talent from the portal and you think he's going to abandon that the following year? The gym will be loaded again and the best players will win starting spots. 

Yep. And if it means one of Madi or Jenna doesn’t play 6 rotations, so be it. May the better 6 rotation OH win the job and the other will have a very capable DS with our 3 Littles

Still doesn’t stop the staff from finding a walk-on/NIL setter. But they may have a lot of faith in Swindle to be the woman. 

33 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

I was looking at Jenna's commitment post on instagram and I think every Longhorn player on the roster said something positive. Including players that are going to be competing with her for playing time. 

Feels like the program is in a really good place where there are no egos. 

Correct. They won one and now these girls want another. They want that feeling again. Wenaas helps them get there. 

1 hour ago, Rickylovesweed said:

I was looking at Jenna's commitment post on instagram and I think every Longhorn player on the roster said something positive. Including players that are going to be competing with her for playing time. 

Feels like the program is in a really good place where there are no egos. 

image.gif.b9bb3c0448a16079f1ec2395aec6e7a9.gif

It is almost kind of funny watching the meltdowns from Wisconsin, Nebraska, etc. because of Texas' transfer game.

Nebraska picked up OH Merritt Beason from FL - they already had Hord on roster + Lexi Sun recently
Wisconsin picked up MB Carter Boothe from MN - they already had 7 transfers on their roster last year

San Diego - 5 transfers on roster
Pitt - 4 transfers on roster
Texas - 7 transfers on roster
Louisville - 2 transfers on roster

To the haters, I say:

Don't Hate The Player Hate The Game GIFs | Tenor

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, Js1 said:

It is almost kind of funny watching the meltdowns from Wisconsin, Nebraska, etc. because of Texas' transfer game.

Nebraska picked up OH Merritt Beason from FL - they already had Hord on roster + Lexi Sun recently
Wisconsin picked up MB Carter Boothe from MN - they already had 7 transfers on their roster last year

San Diego - 5 transfers on roster
Pitt - 4 transfers on roster
Texas - 7 transfers on roster
Louisville - 2 transfers on roster

To the haters, I say:

Don't Hate The Player Hate The Game GIFs | Tenor

There were only two programs in the entire Sweet Sixteen that didn’t have a transfer on the team...Stanford and Ohio State. 

In fairness, there are a lot of folks who hate the game. 

Meh. I enjoy the whining. Goodness knows it’s not new to Texas. I’m glad we have a coach in Elliott who readily embraced the new dynamics, and did it better than anyone else in the country. 

After getting Barnes and Wenaas already, there’s a rumor another pretty big name transfer is onboard. That came out yesterday from a decent poster named aggielonghorn who doesn’t post a huge amount. Nothing has come out publicly so far, but Wenaas said she committed to Texas 10 days before she made any kind of announcement, so we’ll see. 

Just now, SL Xpress said:

There were only two programs in the entire Sweet Sixteen that didn’t have a transfer on the team...Stanford and Ohio State. 

In fairness, there are a lot of folks who hate the game. 

Meh. I enjoy the whining. Goodness knows it’s not new to Texas. I’m glad we have a coach in Elliott who readily embraced the new dynamics, and did it better than anyone else in the country. 

After getting Barnes and Wenaas already, there’s a rumor another pretty big name transfer is onboard. That came out yesterday from a decent poster named aggielonghorn who doesn’t post a huge amount. Nothing has come out publicly so far, but Wenaas said she committed to Texas 10 days before she made any kind of announcement, so we’ll see. 

Credit JFO for building and keeping that Ohio State roster - she's a legit coach.  Stanford is Stanford - they just don't accept a lot of transfers. 

Yeah, been waiting to see who that "big transfer" is.  Hopefully we find out this week.

People can hate the game, but the game is the game, every program is playing by the same rules, and Elliot/Texas has embraced it and we won a title.  Whatever works.  The portal gave and took away from Texas last year, necessitating why we had to go out and get Akana/Caffey/Bergmark/Fleck/Skinner.  Texas lost Fields/Gabriel/Iosia/Petersen and had to replace them.  The core of our team was still Elliot-recruited and developed - Phillips, Eggleston, Halter, O'Neal. 

Elliot's job is to go win matches and titles.  Sheffield did the same thing - 2021 Wisconsin had 5 transfers on their title-winning team.  That's the game now.  

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, SL Xpress said:

Lol. Yeah, I heard she's a team cancer waiting to happen from someone plugged into the club scene. 

She's not waiting! Murray made some ugly comments about the boyfriends of current Nebraska players on her private snapchat. Someone sent the comments to the players and they were NOT happy!

Jordyn Byrd (FL) and Nya Bunton (KY) are both Gatorade Players of the Year in their states.

Texas' winner was Macaria Spears, who is only a sophomore. 

Swindle was the 2021 POY for Missouri, but the 2022 POY is a junior. 

9 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

^

good news.

Also, obligatory, "When will they announce the spring volleyball schedule?"  I assume it may be convoluted this year with the beach volleyball slate also taking shape?  

The only thing I know for sure is we are hosting one of the Athletes Unlimited pro teams in a match (and hopefully Molly McCage will be on that roster).  

And not all the indoor players want to play beach, because they've never done it before - Logan has mentioned she can jump out of an indoor gym, but that explosiveness is useless on sand.  Molly, for sure, got really big into beach.  Byrd and Helmers as well. 

Oh, I know it's a different skill set.  Was just pondering that it won't be the usual 4-match spring session for our VB team this year with beach also launching.  

I played college club volleyball with a guy named Matt Heath in Florida for a year.  He was good in a gym.  I could actually "hang" with him, kinda.  He was a standout, but nothing shocking.  Then I watched him play at a couple of sand tournaments in New Smyrna and Daytona and thought, "Holy shit!  How does somebody do that in sand?"  I was from Chicago, I had seen sand but never thought to play sports in it.  He ended up being moderately successful on the men's beach tour for many years.  He was Top 10 gym player at a small college.  But put him on sand, and nobody could stick with him.  He runs a beach volleyball camp nowadays specifically for young people trying to transition from gym to sand and vice-versa.  Probably something to do with rising scholarship money as well.  But yeah, when I think of the difference in the games, I think of scrimmaging with him in the gym and then going out to the coast and after like 7 minutes thinking "Nah, fuck this...you're too much...Imma find the cooler and drink the rest of the day" 

Edited by YGIFS

1 minute ago, YGIFS said:

Oh, I know it's a different skill set.  Was just pondering that it won't be the usual 4-match spring session for our VB team this year with beach also launching.  

I'm sure we will.  Maybe 1 or 2 will have to be smaller squads if some players are off playing beach.  

On 1/23/2023 at 2:02 PM, Js1 said:

Mac Podraza stays in the B1G, chooses Penn State

Texas will roll with Swindle, of course, and maybe seek a grad transfer like Ewert in the May portal period? 

Does Swindle seem that much of a shoe-in for the job over Crownover, assuming no transfer?  But I definitely agree that we should be looking in the portal for an experienced setter.

2 minutes ago, Pogo said:

Does Swindle seem that much of a shoe-in for the job over Crownover, assuming no transfer?  But I definitely agree that we should be looking in the portal for an experienced setter.

Yes. Swindle is a top recruit.  Crownover is a walk-on. You don’t usually hit the jackpot twice with a walk-on, a la Gabriel.  Texas fans are rightly still iffy bc of Shook, who didn’t enroll until the summer. Swindle is on campus now, practicing with our hitters all spring and summer. 

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 1

22 minutes ago, Pogo said:

I knew she was from a small private school, but didn't realize Crownover was a walk-on.  I still hope we get another SKT from the portal and let Swindle learn for a year.

There's a lot of discussion if we even have a scholarship for another setter from the portal.  Depends who is on NIL for an entire year, like Molly or O'Neal.

More likely to find a grad transfer like Ewert who is willing to be on NIL for a year of grad school. 

Volleyball’s Eggleston named CSWA Honda Sport Award Winner           02.03.2023 

eggleston_logan_fdu_AW1_7985.jpg&height=

The Longhorns' senior outside hitter added another major honor.

AUSTIN, Texas – Texas Volleyball's Logan Eggleston was named the Honda Sport Award winner for volleyball as announced by Chris Voelz, Executive Director of The Collegiate Women Sports Awards (CWSA).

The Honda Sport Award has been presented annually by the CWSA for the past 47 years to the top women athletes in 12 NCAA- sanctioned sports and signifies "the best of the best in collegiate athletics".  The winner of the sport award becomes a finalist for the Collegiate Woman Athlete of the Year and the prestigious 2023 Honda Cup, which will be presented on a live telecast on CBS Sports Network in June.

Eggleston was chosen by a vote of administrators from over 1,000 NCAA member schools. Finalists included Gabby Blossom (San Diego), Claire Chaussee (Louisville) and Kendall Kipp (Stanford).

Eggleston is a three-time Honda Award finalist and was named the 2022 AVCA Player of the Year after being honored as an AVCA First-Team All-American for the third time. Additionally, she repeated as the VolleyballMag.com Player of the Year.

The senior led her team to its third NCAA Championship title, fourth national title overall (AIAW 1981), and was named the NCAA Championship Most Outstanding Player after leading the Longhorns in the final match with 19 kills on .341 hitting percentage. Texas finished the season 28-1 overall.

Hailing from Brentwood, Tenn., the outside hitter was named Big 12 Conference Player of the Year for the last three seasons and is a five-time All-Big 12 First-Team honoree.

On the season, she led the team with 4.28 kills per set and a .297 hitting percentage along with 42 service aces. Eggleston set the Texas and Big 12 career record for aces.

Off the court, she was named a 2022 CoSIDA First-Team Academic All-American becoming just the third in Big 12 history to earn First-Team honors and is a three-time Academic All-American overall. She graduated with a degree in management and received a certificate in ethics and leadership in business and is also pursuing a graduate degree in sports management.

The CWSA, entering its 47th year, has honored the nation's top NCAA women athletes for their superior athletic skills, leadership, academic excellence and eagerness to participate in community service.  Since commencing its partnership in 1986, Honda has provided more than $3.4 million in institutional grants to the universities of the award winners and nominees to support women's athletics programs. 

• Hook 'Em 3

On 1/13/2023 at 3:53 PM, YGIFS said:

I played college club volleyball with a guy named Matt Heath in Florida for a year.  He was good in a gym.  I could actually "hang" with him, kinda.  He was a standout, but nothing shocking.  Then I watched him play at a couple of sand tournaments in New Smyrna and Daytona and thought, "Holy shit!  How does somebody do that in sand?"  I was from Chicago, I had seen sand but never thought to play sports in it.  He ended up being moderately successful on the men's beach tour for many years.  He was Top 10 gym player at a small college.  But put him on sand, and nobody could stick with him.  He runs a beach volleyball camp nowadays specifically for young people trying to transition from gym to sand and vice-versa.  Probably something to do with rising scholarship money as well.  But yeah, when I think of the difference in the games, I think of scrimmaging with him in the gym and then going out to the coast and after like 7 minutes thinking "Nah, fuck this...you're too much...Imma find the cooler and drink the rest of the day" 

You must have been from the burbs, as north ave beach was always packed with courts in the summers all the way back in the early 90's. 

Edited by Blotto