Gigantic film studios to be built in San Marcos 2023

Helobious

Expect a lot of opposition to this. Where they want to build it is a recharge zone. Say what what you want about San Marcos, but these people care about their environment and are getting a bit tired of the development. 

As for Only Fans shoots, that is called the entire town and all the dorms. @Brisketexan   Come on down one weekend. Me and @Beau Vine will take you to our watering hole. Trust us, you will have a great time. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

I saw this in another article:

Still, city staff said the film studio is the lesser of two evils, compared to another project proposed for La Cima: a strip-mall, big-box retail development that would have created more impervious cover than the film studio will, said Joe Pantalion, assistant city manager.

Regardless, the studio development will have to get a TCEQ permit, which has killed countless proposed development before.

Edited by Beau Vine

9 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

I saw this in another article:

Regardless, the studio development will have to get a TCEQ permit, which has killed countless proposed development before.

Have a good buddy who is a water expert. he is pissed at this and plans to lead the opposition. So who wins. The hippies or the developers. 

A large film studio will end up a giant empty building.  Texas doesn't have a great history of subsidizing anything that isn't oil and gas related, especially the arts and film specifically.  The film industry follows the money (tax breaks), and Texas has never done enough to entice any serious players here. There also isn't enough skilled labor living in Texas to justify a large studio.  This has boondoggle written all over it, but the developers will pocket some cash if they can pull it off.

• Hook 'Em 4

32 minutes ago, Samson's Wig said:

A large film studio will end up a giant empty building.  Texas doesn't have a great history of subsidizing anything that isn't oil and gas related, especially the arts and film specifically.  The film industry follows the money (tax breaks), and Texas has never done enough to entice any serious players here. There also isn't enough skilled labor living in Texas to justify a large studio.  This has boondoggle written all over it, but the developers will pocket some cash if they can pull it off.

Not to mention that the current political climate in Texas isn’t doing a whole lot to attract major productions to the state.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, royiv said:

Not to mention that the current political climate in Texas isn’t doing a whole lot to attract major productions to the state.

Be prepared for a shitload of movies released directly to Youtube starring Kevin Sorbo and Gina Carano.

In fairness, I still kinda dig Carano.

• Haha 2

Man, if I-35 didn't run near San Marcos, I think it might be the most perfect town in the state. Everything that Interstate touches turns to a gross scar of conspicuous capitalism. Fuck trees, we need car dealerships, shopping malls, chain restaurants, and Targetbestbuykohls.

2 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Man, if I-35 didn't run near San Marcos, I think it might be the most perfect town in the state. Everything that Interstate touches turns to a gross scar of conspicuous capitalism. Fuck trees, we need car dealerships, shopping malls, chain restaurants, and Targetbestbuykohls.

Agree. That is why if you live here, and I do, you don't go near that part of town. Needs some more food options, but damn that river and the female talent pool make up for it. 

27 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

This is the fucking truth.  As much as I want to get out of here, it's still one of the best places in this state.  I absolutely fucking love my neighborhood, I rarely have to drive anywhere, there are more excellent Tex-Mex restaurants per capita than any place in the world, Biden won the town by 50%, there are a lot of people here who care about the things that are really important (eg, the environment and other people).  It is annoying that a college town has sooo many terribly uneducated residents and a shitty public school system, and that we have every chain restaurant known to humanity in town and a significant minority who patronize these places (people literally bitch about Taco Bell being closed unexpectedly -- WHY THE FUCK WOULD ANYONE EVER WANT TO EAT AT TACO BELL IN SAN MARCOS??!??!), but overall you could do a lot worse in this state.

• Hook 'Em 3

2 hours ago, InkaUtexas said:

As for Only Fans shoots, that is called the entire town and all the dorms. @Brisketexan   Come on down one weekend. Me and @Beau Vine will take you to our watering hole. Trust us, you will have a great time. 

BTW, I've been walking the dog at night, and last night we walked by Zelick's and she literally tried to drag me in.  The ID guy out front was laughing at me and I said, "Can you tell that she's a regular here?"

• Haha 1

I'm suspect this will be successful.  The industry is very project based, and you need to be able to funnel new productions in and out of there.  Where will they come from?  You need the concentration of industry talent to pull off a conveyor belt of productions, and not sure central Texas has got that, or will be able to create that.  There's a reason that 3 of the largest studios in the world are within 2 miles of each other.

• Hook 'Em 1

26 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

I still owe you that baseball book. Let me know a good evening. 

I don't remember what baseball book you're talking about, but we'll be walking by Zelick's at about 9 tonight again, and it's cheap well drink night...

• Hook 'Em 1

20 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

I don't remember what baseball book you're talking about, but we'll be walking by Zelick's at about 9 tonight again, and it's cheap well drink night...

got a few friends here to watch the Stanley Cup. We might make it up. You will like it. Was a few years ago we discussed. 

10 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

Will be there tomorrow for the Astros game. Look for the dude wearing a UT colored guayabera. 

I probably won't be tomorrow, but you know how to recognize me if I'm there -- dude with big white Pyrenees puppy.

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

I probably won't be tomorrow, but you know how to recognize me if I'm there -- dude with big white Pyrenees puppy.

24 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

Will be there tomorrow for the Astros game. Look for the dude wearing a UT colored guayabera. 

ating-game-be-right-back.gif

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Samson's Wig said:

great more CA imports. 

1 minute ago, Samson's Wig said:

Nah.   And if by some miracle this worked and they managed to provide enough work to lure experienced crew to permanently move to Texas, those folks are not all Californians anyway. 

This.  There are a crap ton of Austin and San Marcos area film people.  My BIL is recently retired from the business and with the exception of the Avengers series which was mostly done in Georgia, almost all of his work the last 20 years was done in the Austin area.

6 minutes ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

This.  There are a crap ton of Austin and San Marcos area film people.  My BIL is recently retired from the business and with the exception of the Avengers series which was mostly done in Georgia, almost all of his work the last 20 years was done in the Austin area.

This.  Austin and Atlanta are where film have been moving to for a while.

The largest green screen studio in the world is in ATX, and I think the largest sound stage.

Edited by JBJ

4 hours ago, hookemATL said:

From Boondoggle Studios comes the latest in the line of the sexiest films created sorta kinda not really in Austin but pretty close but the traffic sucks kinda unless you drive at odd hours: 

Salacious San Marcos Sluts 3:  The Wettening

3 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Comal over me vol.4

Texas State of Behind Trilogy:

A Texas State of Behind

A Texas State of Behind 2: Bigger in Texas

A Texas State of Behind 3: Messed with Texas

• Hook 'Em 2

20 hours ago, Samson's Wig said:

Michigan did it about a decade ago, all kinds of incentives; movies started shooting on location (because it was basically free or better) and some studios started to lease up space (see previous note) and one even announced they were building a studio AND then an election happened and shit changed and the incentives were gone.
And then the film industry in Michigan disappeared, just like a fart in the wind 
YARN | Man vanished like a fart in the wind. | The Shawshank Redemption  (1994) | Video gifs by quotes | 3e0bda5c | 紗

• Hook 'Em 1

I mean... Texas did have a fairly active film industry back in the day. But then Louisiana, NM, and now Georgia quickly over took it with better subsidies. And State gov pretty much let that wither.

Also you don't need lots of local talent to make this work. People in the industry will move to where the work is. At least they used to. And post production work is pretty much handled remotely anyway. 

Edited by YChang

15 minutes ago, YChang said:

I mean... Texas did have a fairly active film industry back in the day. But then Louisiana, NM, and now Georgia quickly over took it with better subsidies. And State gov pretty much let that wither.

Also you don't need lots of local talent to make this work. People in the industry will move to where the work is. At least they used to. And post production work is pretty much handled remotely anyway. 

This is only partly true.  You need a critical mass of projects to make a move make sense.  A single studio probably doesn't create that critical mass.  

• Hook 'Em 1

We had momentum for this about 15 years ago, but pulled all tax cuts and they stopped making a bunch movies here.  

There's a reason a lot of shit is "MADE... in Georgia" and it's because of subsidies, not because of local talent or cheap studio time.

3 hours ago, smoky said:

We had momentum for this about 15 years ago, but pulled all tax cuts and they stopped making a bunch movies here.  

There's a reason a lot of shit is "MADE... in Georgia" and it's because of subsidies, not because of local talent or cheap studio time.

As an employee of a studio, I can say this is exactly correct. Without the 20%-30% tax credits, productions won’t come to use the sound stages.

• Hook 'Em 2

Years ago, SM was gonna get IKEA. Didn’t happen. They were gonna get an NFL stadium. Didn’t happen. They were gonna get [insert a dozen major employers]. Didn’t happen.

Seems like all of this stuff is pushed by a shady real estate developer with zero clout just trying to make a quick buck from rubes thinking they get rich by buying up land he owns near the proposed site.