-Pickup/SUV with bike rack
-Weimaraner or German Short-Haired Pointer
-Two kids, always one boy and one girl
-New residents complaining about out-of-staters moving there

-White
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

20 minutes ago, justhookit said:

Good luck. I remember you’ve spent a lot of time there. I’m headed down in a little over a week for 2 months which will make 5 months of living there this year. Still trying to work out the logistics of spending at least 6 months a year there every year.

Beach or inland?

31 minutes ago, Biggus Duckus said:

I like Bend, but the people sometimes feel like clones:

-Patagonia jackets

-Trail running shoes

And more queer people than you could imagine. I’ll be honest. No one clocks me in texas or the south or really anywhere not in Mexico nor Costa Rica, not Greece not Tahiti not California the places we’ve gone not Colorado not New Mexico those are just the last few years of travel but Portland holy shit balls they got trained eyeballs and spot us a mile away. It’s fine they are all cool people, it’s the future where it’s all good but man there are so many queer birds the truism remains true - one trans woman walking down the street is just a woman but two trans women walking down the street and boom you get clocked every time. It’s a bit unsettling. I’ve long preferred to hide. But truthfully I loved to the two trips we’ve taken to OR. 

-Patagonia jackets
-Trail running shoes

Change a few things and this could be Austin

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

52 minutes ago, Biggus Duckus said:

-Patagonia jackets

-Trail running shoes

Lots of truth there.  The Pickup/SUV with bike rack is just about a necessity, though.  :)  The trails here are fantastic.  Outdoor playground is one of the main perks. 

Edit:  Meant to add "ball caps" to your list, b/c nobody gets good haircuts here.  And hoodies b/c you can wear them 9 months out of the year. Wife calls it the "Bend Bro" look.

Edited by MC Fresh Breath
  • Hook 'Em 2

7 minutes ago, MC Fresh Breath said:

Lots of truth there.  The Pickup/SUV with bike rack is just about a necessity, though.  :)  The trails here are fantastic.  Outdoor playground is one of the main perks. 

Edit:  Meant to add "ball caps" to your list, b/c nobody gets good haircuts here.  And hoodies b/c you can wear them 9 months out of the year. Wife calls it the "Bend Bro" look.

I was this close to adding "brewery trucker hat" to the list.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

It’s a great idea. Northern New Mexico food is my favorite.  Move to the canyon somewhere between Taos and Angel Fire.  

I've spent quite a bit of time in pretty much exactly that area, in Taos proper, and out on the mesa. It really strikes my fancy, but I need to be thoughtful about the next move.  

So much in this thread has really spoken to me. I've lived in Texas since I was three, grew up in Tyler, did undergrad in DFW, came to Austin for grad school 30+ years ago, got a couple of sweet gigs, and never left. Texas has treated me well (white, middle-aged male--I'll be able to pass as a commander in Gilead for a short period of time before I wind up on the wall), but I can't stand the climate (weather or political). I'm a political scientist by training, Democrats aren't winning statewide offices in the near future. I don't want to spend my remaining time in a place that is so ugly in so many ways.

I've got some family here and so does Mrs. Eljefeweizen, but we could fly or drive and see them on short notice.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Biggus Duckus said:

-Patagonia jackets

-Trail running shoes

You spelled Bentonville wrong.

Catching up on this thread.  Seems the Republicans are self sorting themselves into the shitty parts of the country?  Fair assessment?

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I’ve never been but Santa Fe has intrigued me. Certain areas of New Mexico sound great but I’m turned off by rankings where NM is frequently listed as one of the worse states to live. Does Albuquerque drag the whole state down?

3 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

I don't live in NM, but I've extensively looked at moving there, so take this with a grain of salt, but to me... NM's problems are almost all caused by terrible public education.  The town I'm trying to retire to happens to have one of the highest % of citizens with graduate degrees in the country, and it's not a coincidence that its public schools are the best non-magnet schools in the state.

Low opportunity is one of two things that has us hesitant on NM (age 30 - not retiring any time soon). Water being the other.

Edited by gmr548

56 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Catching up on this thread.  Seems the Republicans are self sorting themselves into the shitty parts of the country?  Fair assessment?

Yep

3 hours ago, troph said:

And more queer people than you could imagine. I’ll be honest. No one clocks me in texas or the south or really anywhere not in Mexico nor Costa Rica, not Greece not Tahiti not California the places we’ve gone not Colorado not New Mexico those are just the last few years of travel but Portland holy shit balls they got trained eyeballs and spot us a mile away. It’s fine they are all cool people, it’s the future where it’s all good but man there are so many queer birds the truism remains true - one trans woman walking down the street is just a woman but two trans women walking down the street and boom you get clocked every time. It’s a bit unsettling. I’ve long preferred to hide. But truthfully I loved to the two trips we’ve taken to OR. 

You been hitting the sauce tonight troph?

1 hour ago, Biff Tannen said:

Yep

You been hitting the sauce tonight troph?

That was my first glass. So I was still sober but I won’t talk about before that suffice it to say hornian knows. Lord have mercy. Exes wow.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Define shitty. Politically sure. But they’ve got all the best views. Yeah 

Edited by SydneyCarton

17 hours ago, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

Beach or inland?

Beach. I’ve had a boat down in Quepos since 2015. It’s for sale but the idea is buy a newer and probably smaller one and a condo or something in Manuel Antonio. I’ve always just stayed on the boat when I’m there and I enjoy that. I’d prefer to be actually in Quepos walking distance to the marina, but there just aren’t many/any options there.

On 7/13/2022 at 3:58 PM, MC Fresh Breath said:

I may post too much on these things, and its all opinion, but I'm going to give you some Bend cons in your list since I can sing the praises all day long.

Live music--> I have had some fun here and there, but what you find here will be the 'biggest' touring bands you get.   I had fun with some hardcore punk a few months back, but you're driving to Portland otherwise (a little over 3 hours).  Most of Bend really shuts down early.  Like 8-10 pm.  So if you're still active in Austin's scene, you will miss that.

"

Got to correct myself a bit on the live music.  It's not Austin, but there are smaller venues with shows that are fine for what they are.  Just may not be every night of the week.  Last night I saw the Heartless Bastards (hey, an Austin band) and it was a great show.  The other thing about any live music you find is its always going to be easy to get to.  You should review Events in Bend | The Source Weekly - Bend, Oregon (bendsource.com)  and if that has enough for you, well there you have it.

• Hook 'Em 1

What’s up?  I’ve found here in Cali there is definitely awareness that the people moving to Texas are doing so for political reasons.  Which was absolutely not the reason for my move but is very interesting in long term sociological perspective.  

I have to say that I’ve found so far:

Restaurants are way more expensive.

Wine is cheaper? Wtf ?

Gas, duh, but I don’t drive anymore and my BMW has become a garage queen for my kids to sell when I die.

I bought a nice bike and ride it everywhere.  That, my friends, is living right.  I can’t express how nice it is to be able to go anywhere without sweating my balls off.

Contractors are way more punctual.  Prices are higher for labor but similar for materials.

Permits are way more expensive.

Sales tax is higher.

Property tax is about half to a third of Texas.

People here are happy as shit.  I think one of the things about Austin I had grown most tired of was the negative vibe.  A lot of anger, frustration, and traffic.  

I also sold for way more than I thought I would in Austin so that’s made the move easier.  

Politics aside it was time for me to GTFO.  But Texas better watch its cornhole because the smart kids aren’t going to stick around if things continue as they are.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, MC Fresh Breath said:

Got to correct myself a bit on the live music.  It's not Austin, but there are smaller venues with shows that are fine for what they are.  Just may not be every night of the week.  Last night I saw the Heartless Bastards (hey, an Austin band) and it was a great show.  The other thing about any live music you find is its always going to be easy to get to.  You should review Events in Bend | The Source Weekly - Bend, Oregon (bendsource.com)  and if that has enough for you, well there you have it.

Heartless bastards were originally Cincy and I still like that core instead of whatever Erica has now. Portugal and the Iberian peninsula casualties have me double tapping that idea. Maryland suddenly doesn’t seem so bad.

What’s up?  I’ve found here in Cali there is definitely awareness that the people moving to Texas are doing so for political reasons.  Which was absolutely not the reason for my move but is very interesting in long term sociological perspective.  

I have to say that I’ve found so far:
 Restaurants are way more expensive.
 Wine is cheaper? Wtf ?
Gas, duh, but I don’t drive anymore and my BMW has become a garage queen for my kids to sell when I die.
I bought a nice bike and ride it everywhere.  That, my friends, is living right.  I can’t express how nice it is to be able to go anywhere without sweating my balls off.
 Contractors are way more punctual.  Prices are higher for labor but similar for materials.
 Permits are way more expensive.
Sales tax is higher.
 Property tax is about half to a third of Texas.
People here are happy as shit.  I think one of the things about Austin I had grown most tired of was the negative vibe.  A lot of anger, frustration, and traffic.  

I also sold for way more than I thought I would in Austin so that’s made the move easier.  

Politics aside it was time for me to GTFO.  But Texas better watch its cornhole because the smart kids aren’t going to stick around if things continue as they are.

Smart kids aren’t sticking around. And the word is getting out that the quality of life in texas is among the worst in the nation (actual studies, not just a few folks griping). Top 5 for business….but 49th for living….that’s not sustainable.

Oh, and my kids are leaving and highly unlikely to return. What a waste. We are consuming our seed stock in Texas: lots of profits and money for the wealthiest to roll around in today, but net negative investment in our future workforce and quality of life. Except of course for the major economic engines in the state: Dallas, Austin, Houston…which our state government is openly warring against. And that government will eventually get its way.

Discussions of moving back to Brazil have increased lately.  This is not really politically motivated...I mean, some of the shit going on here factors in, but it is not the driving factor by any means.  Anyways, question for folks who have moved abroad, or maybe even moved domestically, with kids.  Ours are 7 and 5.  I feel like within the next couple of years is an ideal age to move because I feel like kids are more adaptable than adults (or teens).  My older brother moved his family to Texas from California about 6 years back.  His oldest at the time was 11-12 years old.  I recall the whole ordeal being pretty tough for the kids.  Separation from friends, sports teams, their home they were familiar with, etc.  I lived in the same house from preschool until I graduated high school.  I appreciate that my parent's provided that stability and familiarity.  Blah Blah Blah...I guess what I am asking is some input from surly assholes that moved around as kids and how you felt about it, or how it affected you.  Was it a net positive?  More than likely if this happens, we would go back for 2-3 years, then come back here (at least until retirement, then back there). 

8 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Discussions of moving back to Brazil have increased lately.  This is not really politically motivated...I mean, some of the shit going on here factors in, but it is not the driving factor by any means.  Anyways, question for folks who have moved abroad, or maybe even moved domestically, with kids.  Ours are 7 and 5.  I feel like within the next couple of years is an ideal age to move because I feel like kids are more adaptable than adults (or teens).  My older brother moved his family to Texas from California about 6 years back.  His oldest at the time was 11-12 years old.  I recall the whole ordeal being pretty tough for the kids.  Separation from friends, sports teams, their home they were familiar with, etc.  I lived in the same house from preschool until I graduated high school.  I appreciate that my parent's provided that stability and familiarity.  Blah Blah Blah...I guess what I am asking is some input from surly assholes that moved around as kids and how you felt about it, or how it affected you.  Was it a net positive?  More than likely if this happens, we would go back for 2-3 years, then come back here (at least until retirement, then back there). 

Grew up in a military family, and we moved every 3-4 years when I was growing up.  There is an awkward time when you're the new guy/girl, but there's also a sense of excitement being the new guy/girl.  Was definitely a net positive - so many skills and experiences that help as an adult - whether it is learning how to get to know people, or just having experienced living in different places.  You have cool stories that no one else has, and you learn how to tell them as well.

Definitely different now, with snapchat/instagram/etc...seems like that would make it easier...but, as an old, I really have no idea...

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Currently in Barcelona and apart from the heat wave is very nice. Very walkable, friendly city and cheaper than Austin. They don't have liberal use of AC but if it's just 1-2 months out of the year then you can just vacation like everyone else. Tho  it looks like you'll eventually need to go all the way to the Arctic for relief.

My attitude used to be why should I move they're the ones who suck but at this point it gets harder and harder to ignore

Edited by Michael Knight
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Anyone have a good resource for becoming an expat?  Would be looking at retiring/semi-retiring, either in EU (where the wife has a dual citizenship), or in UK (where I can get a dual citizenship)...

Yes, i can google that myself, just hoping someone on here has actual experience and can share some wisdom...

8 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

I moved a lot as a child, one move was to Mexico City for 3 years, and we also did when our kids were going up as well. Huge net positive for me. Probably why I love to travel so much. I asked our boys once if we ruined their life by moving so much. They said it was one of the best things we ever did. So many people they encountered had no knowledge of anything more than 100 miles away, and their mindset coincided with that. Our boys experienced no bubble, and were so much more diversified, which I think is huge. Our family mantra was that we were always on a new adventure. I think how you frame it is is the most important thing on how your kids react. The only downside I, and they, experienced is that you don't really develop life long friends or relationships. But that doesn't outweigh the benefits. We also all have big time wanderlust, and get bored when we're in one place too long, which makes it hard sometimes to deal with the everyday mundaneness of regular life. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, Mdhorn said:

Heartless bastards were originally Cincy and I still like that core instead of whatever Erica has now. Portugal and the Iberian peninsula casualties have me double tapping that idea. Maryland suddenly doesn’t seem so bad.

Aware of their origin.  At some point when a band relocates to Austin the city tends to claim them.  

Austin's Heartless Bastards deliver a career-best album with 'A Beautiful Life'

https://www.statesman.com/story/entertainment/music/2021/09/10/austin-band-heartless-bastards-delivers-career-best-album/5759387001/

Edited by MC Fresh Breath

The problem with Austin is no matter how many folks leave their is an endless army wanting to come to Austin.  And it's not ending anytime soon.  Real Estate is pulling back because of interest rates that's for certain.  And yeah if you are working a 9-5 type job, your commute is likely hell.  If you don't, and your schedule is flexible? Austin is still pretty nice.  But with the annual increase in taxes I am going to need the income of a part time job just to cover that nut in 10 years.  

But if I were a local kid, the price of housing would freak me out.  So that would mean a move.

I honestly think that Corpus may be the next boom town simply as affordability is there.  Only thing is it's extremely conservative, and thus not as funky and innovative.  If you could transplant a shit ton of former Austinites there you might be able to get something going.  For me I am probably gonna want to be within a couple hours of Houston or Austin so that may be a later life option, with lower property taxes.  

Now it's possible I could convince everyone to move to Colorado.  It's the one of the few places compatible with my SIL's Petroleum Engineer degree, but that would be a miracle.  So I guess I'll be here sweating my balls off, reading your tales for years... 😉

10 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

I guess what I am asking is some input from surly assholes that moved around as kids and how you felt about it, or how it affected you.  Was it a net positive?  More than likely if this happens, we would go back for 2-3 years, then come back here (at least until retirement, then back there). 

I can't answer from first person experience, but can tell you it definitely was hard on my kids when I moved them out here.  Kids up to an age/point are oblivious to things like 'it's too hot' or politics.  And they don't care about your epic scenery.  Mine were 10 and 8 during the move.  The 10-year-old took it pretty hard.  Due to timing, we also left after the first semester of his 5th grade year.  I was not going to move them after Middle School started for them. Those first few months were rough, and then just as things were getting a bit better, Covid happened and the isolation got bad.  Remote schooling was not good for them, either.  That said, things got better.  They've both told us they're happy with the decision.  But it took time to get there. 

The other thing that helps is happier parents are better parents, imo.  So, while they didn't understand all our reasons, they didn't get 'grumpy Dad' anywhere close to what they got in Texas.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I have a friend at work that is making plans to possibly leave for the UK if the 2024 election has Trump elected again. One of his sons just graduated from the Royal Conservatory in Scotland this summer and now lives in London. He said if there were a way to go now he would. We have talked at length and the amount of crazy is not worth dealing with for him and his family. 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, F250 said:

Looks like it's trending.

I played golf this morning with a guy who told us an interesting story.  He is in the insurance business and he mentioned talking to his account rep/VP from a big insurance company.  The VP no longer lived in the US as he decided to move to Sicily during Covid.  Apparently, his company asked him when he is moving back and he said "I am not and plan on doing my job from here via email/zoom".  The company said OK you do you.  Make me jealous as my job requires me to be located in the US.  

1 hour ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

I played golf this morning with a guy who told us an interesting story.  He is in the insurance business and he mentioned talking to his account rep/VP from a big insurance company.  The VP no longer lived in the US as he decided to move to Sicily during Covid.  Apparently, his company asked him when he is moving back and he said "I am not and plan on doing my job from here via email/zoom".  The company said OK you do you.  Make me jealous as my job requires me to be located in the US.  

My company is loosely enforcing a hybrid office model.  Most everyone hates it.  I am going to hang out until next year to see if they finally break and let people go full remote.  If not, I'll be looking for new work.

• Hook 'Em 1

Sounds like he made them an offer they couldn’t refuse.
  • Like 2

It’ll be interesting how they handle tax withholdings if they don’t already operate in Italy. My company moved to WFH for many jobs but it had to be in a state we have offices so they don’t have to deal with new state tax withholdings.

4 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

My company is loosely enforcing a hybrid office model.  Most everyone hates it.  I am going to hang out until next year to see if they finally break and let people go full remote.  If not, I'll be looking for new work.

I have been remote for over 20 years so Covid didn't really have an impact on me other than I couldn't travel for 2 years.  Now that travel is back to normal I can work from anywhere in the US (I need to fly around and see my customers) but wish I could do my job from another country.  

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

4 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Sounds like he made them an offer they couldn’t refuse.

I've worked 100% remote except for a week in the office every quarter for 6 years now.  It would be very, very hard for me to go back to a daily commute and all that.  I understand it's a privilege and that I am fortunate, but there is literally no reason for me to be in the office except to coordinate at the start of a big push for some product initiative.  My bosses in that time have agreed and realize that the ability to work remote means I will put up with a whole lot more bullshit than I would otherwise.  It makes a job very sticky.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Goredho said:

I've worked 100% remote except for a week in the office every quarter for 6 years now.  It would be very, very hard for me to go back to a daily commute and all that.  I understand it's a privilege and that I am fortunate, but there is literally no reason for me to be in the office except to coordinate at the start of a big push for some product initiative.  My bosses in that time have agreed and realize that the ability to work remote means I will put up with a whole lot more bullshit than I would otherwise.  It makes a job very sticky.

1000%.  I was talking to a company a few months back about a very lucrative position (way more than my current one), but I found out the CEO wants everyone in the office 5 days a week from 8am to 5pm.  Once I heard that I was totally not interested in that company.  I had no desire to commute an hour each way in traffic so maybe that makes me lazy or not a "go getter" but the trade off for more money to working from home and spending time with my family (or running up to the golf course to play a few holes in the middle of the week) is more important to me at this point in my life.  Not sure if that makes me dumb or smart.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1000%.  I was talking to a company a few months back about a very lucrative position (way more than my current one), but I found out the CEO wants everyone in the office 5 days a week from 8am to 5pm.  Once I heard that I was totally not interested in that company.  I had no desire to commute an hour each way in traffic so maybe that makes me lazy or not a "go getter" but the trade off for more money to working from home and spending time with my family (or running up to the golf course to play a few holes in the middle of the week) is more important to me at this point in my life.  Not sure if that makes me dumb or smart.

Similar situation here (well, compensation package was only about $20k more). And I took it because I wanted out of my other job. Regretting it for a couple of reasons. Today I pushed for a hybrid schedule and they are considering it. If they say no, I’ll likely start looking again. Or hold this one until we decide on Brazil.
  • Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

I had no desire to commute an hour each way in traffic so maybe that makes me lazy or not a "go getter" but the trade off for more money to working from home and spending time with my family (or running up to the golf course to play a few holes in the middle of the week) is more important to me at this point in my life.  Not sure if that makes me dumb or smart.

It makes you human

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, GenXer said:

It makes you human

Seriously.  Every time I go to the office, I look around after my one team meeting for the week and ask myself, "what the fuck am I doing here?"  I stand at a desk with my laptop and talk to clients on the phone or zoom.  There is zero reason I need to be in the office.  None.

Wife is an OB and this handmaid tale bullshit has given us no choice but to sell our dream house here in Texas and look for a better place to raise our kids.  Currently looking at the west coast - Corvallis and around Santa Barbara are the first two opportunities we've started exploring - but we're soon to start applying in Colorado and Washington
Not ruling out an international move, though we'd have limited options as it would have to be english speaking and pay doctors a decent wage - hello Australia.
We've already explained to the kids that wherever we move its likely the house is going to be smaller and there won't be a pool - but that there will be plenty of other things to do and you won't melt into the pavement 9 months out of the year.  One 'benefit' of COVID (though I hate to use that word considering what a shit-storm its been) is that my kids have spent a lot more time with their siblings than they might have otherwise and don't really have close friends that will make the move harder.
Its pretty crushing thinking about the family, friends, and the great house we just bought a few years ago - but really don't see any other option. 
I've sat in on the calls with the hospital lawyers and the doctors talking about just how long/how much they need to let the mother bleed before they can step in and save her. Either way all it takes is one MAGA DA who decides he wants to make an example and we'd be wipe'd out financially.  Its truly fucked up. 

The evil is the point. It’s the only point. We’re going to see our maternal mortality rate go up, as well as our infant mortality rate. But, that’s what women get for being whores and jezebels and tempting Adam with the apple. IT’S IN THE BIBLE.

36 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

I've sat in on the calls with the hospital lawyers and the doctors talking about just how long/how much they need to let the mother bleed before they can step in and save her. Either way all it takes is one MAGA DA who decides he wants to make an example and we'd be wipe'd out financially.  Its truly fucked up. 

Probably the least important point in all the horrifying shit in this post, but how MAGA are these hospital lawyers and the other doctors.  I can't imaging telling a physician in that position to do anything but what's medically appropriate for the mother, and that we'd appoint doctors to represent her if some asshole DA wants to go after her.  If nothing else, and from just a hospital risk standpoint, that's one hell of a med mal suit they're risking if mom dies from bleeding or sepsis or whatever other preventable cause of death that's coming.